Tesla enlists the help of Samsung, following the crash of a driver.

alizaidi2000

Would you ride a self-driving car?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ride a self-driving car?

• Yes
    • No.
    • Self-drivng cars are for potatoes

Tesla over the summer parted ways with Mobileye, the Israeli-based technology startup that had been supplying the electric automaker with silicon to power its autonomous driving system, following an accident involving a Model S that was traveling with Autopilot enabled.

Tesla has been equipping the latest vehicles off the assembly line withNvidia’s Drive PX 2 AI processing platform.

Unveiled at CES 2016, the Drive PX 2 is an absolute beast that packs two Tegra SoCs (12 total CPU cores) consisting of four in-house Denver cores and eight ARM Coretex-A57 cores plus two GPUs from the Pascal family. The whole thing is liquid cooled seeing as it’s designed to consume up to 250 watts of power.

According to a recent report from South Korea’s Electronic Times (via Electrek), Tesla has signed a contract with Samsung to build an ASIC (application-specific integrated circuit) system that would be built specifically with autonomous driving tasks in mind. The Electronic Times described it as a long-term deal (of about three years) which would provide time to design, prototype and mass-produce the SoC.

Further supporting the rumor is the fact that Tesla this past year quietly hired renowned chip architect Jim Keller from AMD. Keller reportedly helped lead the team that developed AMD’s upcoming Zen processor architecture. Earlier achievements include working on the Athlon K7 and K8 architectures as well as Apple’s A4 and A5 SoCs.

Tesla then reportedly went on to hire away a team of chip architects and executives from AMD, all of which will now be working on Tesla’s upcoming SoC.

Souce: http://www.techspot.com/news/67350-tesla-reportedly-hires-samsung-manufacture-custom-chips-power.html

still better than letting people drive 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

26 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

still better than letting people drive 

self driving cars are and will continue to be better than humans at driving. The problem is people.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

self driving cars are and will continue to be better than humans at driving. The problem is people.

e-wait for it-xactly!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

It will. Self driving cars can even be equipped with a breath analyzer to deter someone from getting a DUI charge. If the sensors are good enough it will even prevent it from swerving. I think some self driving tech is being included to today's cars like sensors in the back so that it will prevent the car from hitting a pole while parking.

Although kids in the future will never know the joy of driving a car by manual transmission. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

As long as I get to drive manually whenever I want, I don't mind. Think of it as a bonus feature.

The trouble is to create a car that can self drive it requires an auto box and electric power steering which makes the steering feel like a limp handshake.

8 hours ago, aisle9 said:

2013-Tesla-Model-S-fire-796x528.jpg

+

160902161818-02-samsung-galaxy-burnt-pho

=

1fp7r5.jpg

samsung.png

As far as the poll is concerned: I worked with computers for what seems an eternity now, and if I learned one thing it would be this: Never EVER trust a computer. Computers are nice and i wub them, but don't trust them!

So no, I don't like the concept of self driving cars.

My feelings towards self driving cars aren't the most supportive.

I don't think they can trained to properly coordinate with road conditions. Such as icing on the road surface or wet road surface. Yeah, in some instances Human drivers have issues too but some human drivers handle various road surfaces better than what someone might be able to program.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Personally I love the thought of self driving/autonamous cars. I am disabled and have pain throughout my body all the time and limited mobility and have had to stop driving when my condition became like this. I can still drive, but it has to be a good day for me health wise, And living where I do has now made it almost impossible to travel adequately. So I need a car, but can't drive most of the time.. catch 22 situation, solution is self-driving cars.

Even apart from my situation, there are plenty of situations where a self-driving car would be either more helpful or needed. Add to that the fact that this could essentially give you another 30-60 minutes time during your daily commute for most people, to do with what you will. Add some decent comms tech and you can either get some more work done during your commute, or catch up with friends/family via phone/vid chat, play a game or 2... the list goes on. If the comms became really good there would be almost unlimited function fo what you could do during your commute.

And also don't forget that the majority of people that apart from being morons, also get distracted easily by either external things, or internal such as other passengers etc. I would much rather have the whole society using self driving cars, that even when in manual mode would still look out for dangers and take control if needed. We will get there one day I hope... then in the future generations, people could either buy the car but it would be locked to auto mode only for non-drivers, or people that have passed a test could also operate it in manual mode. Think of the uses for this, you could send your kids to school in it, have the car go pick up items from stores if they has a system in place for this of course. But I think could be really useful, especially for the elderly or disabled that like to go places but have to either rely on others or taxis etc for getting about. In the countryside, especially where I live there are very few buses and taxis are very expensive, considering that the nearest city to me is 25-35 miles away, taxis are approx £40+ per one way trip.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

My feelings towards self driving cars aren't the most supportive.

I don't think they can trained to properly coordinate with road conditions. Such as icing on the road surface or wet road surface. Yeah, in some instances Human drivers have issues too but some human drivers handle various road surfaces better than what someone might be able to program.

I don't see why. With proper sensors, the computer will have a much better understanding of the exact conditions of the road than our eyeballing guesstimates. Moreover, it can apply real-time solutions to scenarios in which a human driver may mistake one problem with another, or panic, etc. After all, human drivers already enjoy ABS and other forms of automated assistance for less-than-ideal driving conditions. Not every human is Sébastien Loeb, but you could in principle create an algorithm that "knows" all the details of driving in extreme conditions.

What really frightens me is not automated driving in a normal day, but the BSOD moment at 200 Km/h :P

10 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Spoiler

2013-Tesla-Model-S-fire-796x528.jpg

+

160902161818-02-samsung-galaxy-burnt-pho

=

1fp7r5.jpg

Finally, reality will catch up with Hollywood.

9 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I would say that a self-driving car in a street full of self-driving cars is very different from a self-driving car in a street full of human-driven cars. The former could easily be much safer than current driving, the latter is not so clear.

8 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Althougj kids in the future will never know the joy of driving a car by manual transmission. 

They will; though it would be similar to typewriters and keyboards are compared to fountain pens.

As much a I like to type notes, I prefer my personal collection of pens on paper. 

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Samsung, AMD, Apple, Nvidia; looks like Tesla is combining all technology to build an autopilot for Space X project.

1 hour ago, RexinOridle said:

Samsung, AMD, Apple, Nvidia; looks like Tesla is combining all technology to build an autopilot for Space X project.

It's all a ploy to start the Technological Hunger Games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

im less worried of the whole "self driving" thing or anything. im more worried about who takes blame if something happens. and even more so on how does the car decide who lives and who dies. lets say your brakes fail and the car does the maths and decides to kill you rather than 5 people on the crosswalk by slamming you into a wall. 

mathematically saving 5 lives is better than 1 but still i wouldnt put my life in the hands of a machine like that

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 12/10/2016 at 0:04 PM, Unimportant said:

As far as the poll is concerned: I worked with computers for what seems an eternity now, and if I learned one thing it would be this: Never EVER trust a computer. Computers are nice and i wub them, but don't trust them!

Do you trust Drive by Wire technology in cars? their are plenty of cars on the road today that the user has no direct input to the road with out the computer being a middle man. I am not sure if some cars steering wheels are Drive by Wire but I know basically everything else is. (in some cars)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

im less worried of the whole "self driving" thing or anything. im more worried about who takes blame if something happens. and even more so on how does the car decide who lives and who dies. lets say your brakes fail and the car does the maths and decides to kill you rather than 5 people on the crosswalk by slamming you into a wall. 

mathematically saving 5 lives is better than 1 but still i wouldnt put my life in the hands of a machine like that

If you're designing roads and throwing crosswalks in where the speed limits are high enough that you'd die by side swiping a wall you're doing it wrong...

On 12/10/2016 at 11:04 AM, Unimportant said:

what do you mean? computers are perfect. they dont make mistakes they do exactly what you tell them to do so if the programmers are not crap then self-driving cars will be safe

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Do you trust Drive by Wire technology in cars? their are plenty of cars on the road today that the user has no direct input to the road with out the computer being a middle man. I am not sure if some cars steering wheels are Drive by Wire but I know basically everything else is. (in some cars)

Nope, don't trust that either :)