[updated] Asetek demands Gigabyte and AMD to cease sales of the 980 Water Force and Fury X on infringement claims

zMeul

You did. In the title.

Eh, you're nitpicking. The title isn't factually incorrect, and this website does gain revenues from strong forum post titles bringing in more outside readers.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Very interested to see where this will go.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Eh, you're nitpicking. The title isn't factually incorrect, and this website does gain revenues from strong forum post titles bringing in more outside readers.

@zMeul's general bias being taken into account, I think it's valid to point out. Also just in general. Be more objective. There's plenty of space to pour vile out about a company in the subjective part of the news post.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Jay managed to get his matrix R9 290x beaten by the MSI r9 390 in some games

Just to let you know Jay has mentioned before his matrix seems to have some defeats that it shouldn't have. But either way, it makes sense with the vram difference.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Does this mean that AMD will use a Asetek cooler for their FuryX2? Seems to me like that would be a safer bet. It wouldn't hurt to change the block on the FuryX as well.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

Lol the waterforce product that what has sold 10 units? I doubt gigabyte gives a damn since they introduced their own single gpu hybrid anyways just a few weeks ago.

Yea I can see this both ways, but I honestly thought that if this was going to happen it was going to occur like 3 months ago.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just to let you know Jay has mentioned before his matrix seems to have some defeats that it shouldn't have. But either way, it makes sense with the vram difference.

He didn't mention them again though, maybe he found a new one or fixed it? I dunno.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

He didn't mention them again though, maybe he found a new one or fixed it? I dunno.

Knowing him he'd mention something about it being fixed or getting a new one. All I remember is him complaining about it in the review and a couple tech talks.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Man, I remember people saying the case against Cooler Master wouldn't affect AMD. That's funny.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Lol the waterforce product that what has sold 10 units? I doubt gigabyte gives a damn since they introduced their own single gpu hybrid anyways just a few weeks ago.

Yea I can see this both ways, but I honestly thought that if this was going to happen it was going to occur like 3 months ago.

It sets precedence in court making other cases easier to win for Asetek. It might also prevent Gigabyte from using other than Asetek units in future products as well.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

AMD could easily bypass this: In fact it wouldn't even costs them any fucking money: just allow vendors to sell non-reference Fury x cards that are not liquid cooled. 

This tell me that either 1) AMD is being stubbornly stupid here or 2) Asetek has a fairly weak case in the eyes of AMD/Cooler master

At this point both of this propositions are equally likely.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Asetek has a fairly weak case in the eyes of AMD/Cooler master

couple of things: Asetek suit against CM was not new, AMD had to know about it 

AMD's original designs was done with Asetek, but went with the cheaper CM solution

and the biggest problem for them, the court already made the decision, Asetek won the suit - all this is happening because CM refused to comply

I doubt AMD will stop selling the Fury X, at least for long. They'll just have to get a new supplier for the AIO. Most likely, they'll have to make a deal with Asetek.

Asetek needs to go eat a d*ck. As bad as Apple and Samsung are as patent trolls, Asetek takes the cake. Heck, their designs are basically Swiftech ripoffs with a smaller block unit.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Asetek needs to go eat a d*ck. As bad as Apple and Samsung are as patent trolls, Asetek takes the cake. Heck, their designs are basically Swiftech ripoffs with a smaller block unit.

patent trolls exist and will continue to until something is done in the way patents are filled - it's like stopping a kid from wanting candy  :lol:

good or bad, the court ruled! and CM went .. "fuck it"; even Samsung payed Apple after some recent court rulling

Man, I remember people saying the case against Cooler Master wouldn't affect AMD. That's funny.

It shouldnt have, but no one could have predicted Cooler Master would be stupid and ignore a court order to pay.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

They invented/bought the rights to AIO technology. It's a brilliant design, so there is absolutely no patent trolling what so ever. This is what patents are designed to protect: Blatant ripoff of innovation/invention.

EKWB had no problems making a similar product, without breaking patents. If Asetek doesn't protect their IP, they will lose it and cease to exist.

980 Water Force - how many people actually bought that?! that monstrosity is irrelevant and GigaByte won't lose a dime discontinuing it

If Your Gonna Put The News Up,Include Everything

They invented/bought the rights to AIO technology. It's a brilliant design, so there is absolutely no patent trolling what so ever. This is what patents are designed to protect: Blatant ripoff of innovation/invention.

EKWB had no problems making a similar product, without breaking patents. If Asetek doesn't protect their IP, they will lose it and cease to exist.

Oh BS. It's prior art. If you ever saw the old overclocking competitions (back when we still cared about ALL categories instead of just setting LN2 records) people designed AIOs long before Asetek put a patent on them. They literally stole the rights to designs from enthusiasts of the public domain. Their patent is BS and should be challenged on that merit and thrown out entirely.

There's nothing brilliant about it. It's obvious.

EKWB's patent is older than Asetek's, and EKWB doesn't troll it.

No, Asetek simply has to produce a better product for the same cost or give the same product for a lower cost than their competitors. Patents do nothing but stifle innovation and competition.

Oh BS. It's prior art. If you ever saw the old overclocking competitions (back when we still cared about ALL categories instead of just setting LN2 records) people designed AIOs long before Asetek put a patent on them. They literally stole the rights to designs from enthusiasts of the public domain. Their patent is BS and should be challenged on that merit and thrown out entirely.

There's nothing brilliant about it. It's obvious.

EKWB's patent is older than Asetek's, and EKWB doesn't troll it.

No, Asetek simply has to produce a better product for the same cost or give the same product for a lower cost than their competitors. Patents do nothing but stifle innovation and competition.

i dont think the problem is that cm used an AIO the problem is they used an AIO that is very similar in design to a asetek one

i dont think the problem is that cm used an AIO the problem is they used an AIO that is very similar in design to a asetek one

I'm pretty sure it's the same design.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Which is BS since Asetek's design is just Swiftech's in a smaller package.

Which is BS since Asetek's design is just Swiftech's in a smaller package.

swiftech i think licensed that from asetek 

edit: nvm they didnt license it and had to withdraw the h220 from market because of that

I really wish Asetek didn't do this. I think they shouldn't even have those patents at all. You should be able to patent putting an already existing thing onto another already existing thing and call it your own. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

patent trolls exist and will continue to until something is done in the way patents are filled - it's like stopping a kid from wanting candy  :lol:

good or bad, the court ruled! and CM went .. "fuck it"; even Samsung payed Apple after some recent court rulling

How are they a patent troll? Asetek actually makes stuff with their patent, patent trolls don't.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.