[updated] Asetek demands Gigabyte and AMD to cease sales of the 980 Water Force and Fury X on infringement claims

zMeul

I'm still annoyed with Asetek because the Fractal CPU coolers can't come to the US.  I'd get an S36 in a heartbeat.

one sided title was not my intention - if I would've done that, I would've intentionally removed any mention of GigaByte and their 980WF  ;) I did not

Normally I'd say you should put both in the title, but once you factor in how obscure the waterforce card is, it becomes irrelevant. The purpose of the title is simply to state what it's about without being misleading (which the original title wasn't), not give a summary of the entire topic.

Jay managed to get his matrix R9 290x beaten by the MSI r9 390 in some games

My R9 290 Vapor-X beats the reference R9 290X too.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

2005 victor of the ASUS overclocking competition in the water division, won the three previous years as well. The name escapes me, but to be fair I was eleven and it was the first time I'd gone. I can get the name from my dad after I'm done with finals and fly home.

Why do you end practically all of your arguments in *citation needed* You need to read the story about the boy with outrageous and sourceless claims and the wolf.

-------

Current Rig

-------

@zMeul's general bias being taken into account, I think it's valid to point out. Also just in general. Be more objective. There's plenty of space to pour vile out about a company in the subjective part of the news post.

But it's a title and he mentioned the WF in the body.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

My R9 290 Vapor-X beats the reference R9 290X too.

You just need to be clocked about 50mhz~ more than the 290x to even out the performance. Reference 290x will run from 1000mhz to 950mhz. If your 290 is at 1100mhz. Then that make sense, 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Jay managed to get his matrix R9 290x beaten by the MSI r9 390 in some games

That's because AMD held back driver improvements for the R9 200 series for a month or so after the release of new lineup, for benchmarkers/reviewers to first test the R9 300 series so they see a bigger improvement over the 200 series and they don't call it a 'rebadge'. It's 290X>390 right now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

But it's a title and he mentioned the WF in the body.

I can guarantee that if I'd posted this with the title @zMeul originally used, it wouldn't have been changed.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What the fuck? Asetek didn't even make the cooler on the Fury X.

They are after Gigabyte for "patent infringement" though so far I can see only 1 water block design that infringes. Pretty much Asetek is only doing this shit because AMD decided to use Cooler Master AIO instead of Asetek's.

PMSL

They are after Gigabyte for "patent infringement" though so far I can see only 1 water block design that infringes. Pretty much Asetek is only doing this shit because AMD decided to use Cooler Master AIO instead of Asetek's.

Asetek needs to stop being a whiny little bitch. That's busniess, get over it. And for the record, Cooler Master did a good job on the Fury X besides the pump whine that was later fixed.

Asetek needs to stop being a whiny little bitch. That's busniess, get over it. And for the record, Cooler Master did a good job on the Fury X besides the pump whine that was later fixed.

Court Order > "so far i can only" + " that's business".

They determine what was seen and how business was conducted, sorry.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Coolermaster have already redesigned the AIO for the Fury X

so why the f*** do Asetek still want to lay claim to the patent?

and AMD just buy the OEM cooler from CM

seriously if you have nothing better to do

just f*** off and die in hell

furyx-16b.jpg

04_pumpelectonics.jpg

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Can we please start boycotting the Asetek patent trolls?
This is getting ridiculous.

144Hz goodness

Saw this coming a mile away, was just wondering when it was going to happen.

Asetek staaaahp!

y u do dis 2 us, you aren't exactly contributing to anything by doing this!

They do own the patent and cooler Master has been shown to be blatantly copying them in previous lawsuits down to similar internal parts. Also they have already won the lawsuit against CM. So it's really not the same as before.

It not a troll because they sell products and lease designs for the patent they are defending.

It not a troll because they sell products and lease designs for the patent they are defending.

Look when the actually put the patents through. CM was making AIO with the pump on the water block well before Asetek.

PMSL

Look when the actually put the patents through. CM was making AIO with the pump on the water block well before Asetek.

A seek was OEMing they for years for the likes of Alienware and other system builders before they made it to the custom pc market. Still most if not all of those that made it to market were done by them as well.

Can guarantee all of this has already played through in court. Plus Asetek was the one holding the patent and it seems to be holding up.

Either way they having that patent is well known. Other companies choose to not launch their products here even though it's a large market for that very reason. From my view AMD was stupid to choose CM since they had already lost the lawsuit with their AIO's. Just because it's in a GPU and not being sold separately doesn't make it a different product.

I'm also not saying what Asetek is doing is morally right or beneficial to the industry. They do have the legal right to do what they are doing just as they did in the past.

I imagine they do have international patients as well but they must not be to the extent of the US one...

You just need to be clocked about 50mhz~ more than the 290x to even out the performance. Reference 290x will run from 1000mhz to 950mhz. If your 290 is at 1100mhz. Then that make sense, 

Mine is clocked at 1030 by default, I can achieve 1080MHz without touching the voltage and 1200MHz with some voltage tweaking.

Memory is also factory overclocked to 1400MHz which is already much higher than the reference R9 290X's 1250MHz memory.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

They shouldn't take it up with AMD and Gigabyte, but with CM.

They are the ones producing the Seidon coolers. AMD just sells them under another name.

They shouldn't take it up with AMD and Gigabyte, but with CM.

They are the ones producing the Seidon coolers. AMD just sells them under another name.

thing is which pissed me off is the AIO block in the Fury X is nothing similar to the Asetek round design pump and block assembly

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

To throw a wrench into the discussion, an internal shot of swiftech's infringing product:

111719762.jpg

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

What the fuck? Asetek didn't even make the cooler on the Fury X.

That's the point.

Exactly. CM copied Asetek's innovation and made a cheaper inferior product. That is a prime example of what patents was designed to prevent. We are talking patents 101 here. People also seem to forget that Asetek might lose their patent if they don't actively defend it.

Blatantly copying another sompanies innovation, that is patent protected, and then getting sued for it is business too. Asetek is not being whiny, nor bitches, they are doing exactly what they have the right for, and they are on the right side of the law. CM however is not. Also CM did not do a good job, or AMD wouldn't have a pr nightmare on their hands at Fury X launch, where multiple reviewers and customers criticized the pump whining and being noisy.

Coolermaster have already redesigned the AIO for the Fury X

so why the f*** do Asetek still want to lay claim to the patent?

and AMD just buy the OEM cooler from CM

seriously if you have nothing better to do

just f*** off and die in hel

It's not the look that is the problem, but the fact they incorporate a cooling plate and a pump in a single unit. That is patented, and is thus being infringed upon.

Why are you getting so emotional about this? CM is breaking the law wilfully, and you support that? Asetek is just protecting their business as they have a right to.

If you call Asetek a patent troll you really have no clue what the word means or how patents work. This is exactly what patents were made for. There is no trolling of any kind here.

No they weren't. If you think otherwise, please provide a source.

thing is which pissed me off is the AIO block in the Fury X is nothing similar to the Asetek round design pump and block assembly

It's a combined cooling plate and pump unit, which is the patent infringement. It's exactly the same as before from a technical standpoint.

I really don't get all the critique of Asetek here. They are fully in their right to do all of this, and legally they are bound to as well.

When Thermaltake made similar looking cases, people went ballistic on them, even though it was just similar designs. Here we are talking about a proper patent on a proper innovation, and people are criticizing the innocent part? What's wrong with you people?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Seems to be a lot of confusion saying that Asetek is not a patent troll because they do release their product (In nowhere near the market demand for the products) and such so for the sake of discussion, since we know patent trolls survive only on the patents and not on actually releasing the products, I declare Asetek to be a Patent Orc.

-------

Current Rig

-------