[updated] Asetek demands Gigabyte and AMD to cease sales of the 980 Water Force and Fury X on infringement claims

zMeul

Asetek needs to go eat a d*ck. As bad as Apple and Samsung are as patent trolls, Asetek takes the cake. Heck, their designs are basically Swiftech ripoffs with a smaller block unit.

no, you need to. Asetek brought AIOs to the mass market, and the server market as well. You can't just steal the shit they made. 

I don't know why everyone sees them as patent trolls, they designed, make and sell the product they have a patent for. 

Edit 

lel I took it a bit far 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

no, you need to. Asetek brought AIOs to the mass market, and the server market as well. You can't just steal the shit they made. 

I don't know why everyone sees them as patent trolls, they designed, make and sell the product they have a patent for. 

because they  patented putting an already existing thing onto another already existing thing 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Are you joking?! Swiftech was 2 years ahead of them easily. All Asetek did was take the prices down via greater mass production.

No, they STOLE the design from public domain. Asetek does not deserve to have that patent. Swiftech at least hired the guy who first brought a closed loop system to overclocking competitions back in 2005. Asetek took the design concept, shrunk the block head, and put a patent on it, but it's BS! It's prior art and someone with legal standing should challenge them on it. And Asetek just stifles competition. It's the exact same thing as Intel and AMD having closed licenses for x86 and x86_64 respectively that pretty no one can buy. It's the exact same thing. Design is design be it of a physical object or programmatic system. That patent isn't worth the ink it was written in.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How are they a patent troll? Asetek actually makes stuff with their patent, patent trolls don't.

I didn't say they're patent trolls, others did  ;)

Are you joking?! Swiftech was 2 years ahead of them easily. All Asetek did was take the prices down via greater mass production.

No, they STOLE the design from public domain. Asetek does not deserve to have that patent. Swiftech at least hired the guy who first brought a closed loop system to overclocking competitions back in 2005. Asetek took the design concept, shrunk the block head, and put a patent on it, but it's BS! It's prior art and someone with legal standing should challenge them on it. And Asetek just stifles competition. It's the exact same thing as Intel and AMD having closed licenses for x86 and x86_64 respectively that pretty no one can buy. It's the exact same thing. Design is design be it of a physical object or programmatic system. That patent isn't worth the ink it was written in.

I should mention that because of the server solutions I'm an Asetek fanboy whore. I'm very biased. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

correct me if I'm wrong but you can improve on a patent and create a patent of your own

for example: the Gillette Mach3 razor had three blades where previous razors had two

correct me if I'm wrong but you can improve on a patent and create a patent of your own

for example: the Gillette Mach3 razor had three blades where previous razors had two

I may be an Asetek whore, but I'm not gonna defend them based on the bullshit in the shaving razor market. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I may be an Asetek whore, but I'm not gonna defend them based on the bullshit in the shaving razor market. 

whatever you may think, Gillette does have a new patent for the 3rd blade - this is how patents works because they're allowed to

patrick said Asetek improved on Swiftec design, that alone would worth getting a patent for - guess there's nothing more to improve on Asetek design!?!?

whatever you may think, Gillette does have a new patent for the 3rd blade

patrick said Asetek improved on Swiftec design, that alone would worth getting a patent for - guess there's nothing more to improve on Asetek design!?!?

could someone show me the differences on the swiftech design vs Asetek's patents vs the 'Infringing' products? 

Cause I'll defend Asetek and their wonderful products until I die, but I really don't mind being wrong about who was first with what, especially when they go around and start suing everyone. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Oh BS. It's prior art. If you ever saw the old overclocking competitions (back when we still cared about ALL categories instead of just setting LN2 records) people designed AIOs long before Asetek put a patent on them. They literally stole the rights to designs from enthusiasts of the public domain. Their patent is BS and should be challenged on that merit and thrown out entirely.

There's nothing brilliant about it. It's obvious.

EKWB's patent is older than Asetek's, and EKWB doesn't troll it.

No, Asetek simply has to produce a better product for the same cost or give the same product for a lower cost than their competitors. Patents do nothing but stifle innovation and competition.

Oh just stop your nonsense propaganda. Asetek has patents going back to November 2004:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=5&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&S1=7,971,632&OS=7,971,632&RS=7,971,632​

Even IF there is prior art, who is to say Asetek hasn't bought the patents from those behind prior art, or at least the exclusive rights? Not all patents at Asetek are filed by them specifically.

Who is the "guy" who made the prior art, that Swiftech worked with then? You make claims, but don't back them up with anything.

Addendum: At the end of the day, both the American patent office, and the American court (http://techreport.com/news/29092/asetek-wins-injunction-against-cooler-master-liquid-coolers) thinks that Asetek has every right for their patents. A company really can't do more than that.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Oh just stop your nonsense propaganda. Asetek has patents going back to November 2004:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=5&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&S1=7,971,632&OS=7,971,632&RS=7,971,632​

Even IF there is prior art, who is to say Asetek hasn't bought the patents from those behind prior art, or at least the exclusive rights? Not all patents at Asetek are filed by them specifically.

Who is the "guy" who made the prior art, that Swiftech worked with then? You make claims, but don't back them up with anything.

this is what I had always assumed, but I would love proof of the opposite, since most here believe Asetek is patent trolling. Like a nice timeline for idiots like me 

muh specs 

All parts black

this is what I had always assumed, but I would love proof of the opposite, since most here believe Asetek is patent trolling. Like a nice timeline for idiots like me 

These things get very complicated very fast. The gist of it, is that the American patent office and American courts have legitimized these patents. The term Patent trolling is pointless as no proper definition exists, so it's pretty "noobish" to even use it. The way Asetek are using their patents is what patents was invented to do: Protect your invention/innovation and therefore your investment from being stolen/copied by competitors. CM's seidon was a blatant ripoff:

all-in-one_tear_down_027-645x510.jpg

One is Asetek, and the other is a Cooler Master unit. Do you know which is which?

The integrated CPU cooling plate/pump is an Asetek innovation they own the rights to. Most other AIO companies has found a way to circumvent that patent. Trolling, no, protecting ones invention, yes.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

These things get very complicated very fast. The gist of it, is that the American patent office and American courts have legitimized these patents. The term Patent trolling is pointless as no proper definition exists, so it's pretty "noobish" to even use it. The way Asetek are using their patents is what patents was invented to do: Protect your invention/innovation and therefore your investment from being stolen/copied by competitors. CM's seidon was a blatant ripoff:

One is Asetek, and the other is a Cooler Master unit. Do you know which is which?

The integrated CPU cooling plate/pump is an Asetek innovation they own the rights to. Most other AIO companies has found a way to circumvent that patent. Trolling, no, protecting ones invention, yes.

The left is the CM unit, It looks cheaper.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The left is the CM unit, It looks cheaper.

Yup, everyone who remembers the original AIO's will recognize the gear shaped plastic edge of the Asetek housing. One more picture to show the similarities:

all-in-one_tear_down_029-645x329.jpg ​

Yup, everyone who remembers the original AIO's will recognize the gear shaped plastic edge of the Asetek housing. One more picture to show the similarities:

all-in-one_tear_down_029-645x329.jpg ​

The only similarities are that the parts do the same job, and the impeller is in about the same spot. (And that metal plate)

PMSL

The only similarities are that the parts do the same job, and the impeller is in about the same spot. (And that metal plate)

Actually several of the parts are outright interchangeable. But even if they weren't it's an identical constructiion and identical design in function.

Actually several of the parts are outright interchangeable. But even if they weren't it's an identical constructiion and identical design in function.

It may function the same, but the design isn't identical in this case-its different. And the only part that would be interchangeable is that metal plate.

PMSL

It may function the same, but the design isn't identical in this case-its different. And the only part that would be interchangeable is that metal plate.

The American court ruled otherwise. The two products functions exactly the same, is laid out the same, using similar parts and so on.

If the plate fits and the screw holes lines up (seems to), it would be possible to mount the Asetek pump on the CM cooling plate, and vice versa.

Is there a patent on multiblade razors? No. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Addendum: At the end of the day, both the American patent office, and the American court (http://techreport.com/news/29092/asetek-wins-injunction-against-cooler-master-liquid-coolers) thinks that Asetek has every right for their patents. A company really can't do more than that.

2005 victor of the ASUS overclocking competition in the water division, won the three previous years as well. The name escapes me, but to be fair I was eleven and it was the first time I'd gone. I can get the name from my dad after I'm done with finals and fly home.

I knew there were CM ripoffs, and I call this a fair use of their patent. I hate CM pumps in general, though again I'm an Asetek whore I use them and only them. If these are the pumps in question for the cards, I really think Asetek has a win here. 

Something like Corsair's h110 pump is just fine and is very far from Asetek's design if I remember correctly. 

muh specs 

All parts black

It's very much within their right to do this. Iirc they were the original ones to patent watercooling techniques.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Wait but the new cooler master ones are square, and how can they make it so they can't sell those ones unless they are the same.

Asetek needs to die in a fucking hole. This kind of bullshit is bad for the industry.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Boy itd be an easy to grab contract if you were say, corsair with the actual patent for asetek based units, especially with that corsair themed nvidia card just released.