Nvidia Monopolising the market discussion.

Nvidia has been hard at work advertising gameworks and not allowing AMD to optimise their games on their hardware. A good example being Project Cars which is integrated with PhysX [and somewhat witcher 3]. What do you guys think about their aggressive marketing? I personally think we need to stop nvidia's monopolization. Also note, I am a nvidia user, loving shadowplay.

CPU i5 4690k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard Asus RoG Ranger LGA1150 RAM G Skill RipJaw 2x4gb 1600mhz GPU EVGA 980 Classified Case H440 Storage 120gb Samsung 840 SSD & Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Display(s) 2560x1440p Acer CB270HU Cooling Corsair H105 Keyboard Corsair k70 Mouse CM inferno Sound Xonar U7 Operating System Windows 8.1

Well people need to stop sucking Nvidia off and being fanboys,

the 970 and 960 ( and to an extent 980 ) are, for the moment, not logically priced for the performance, and people are still buying them and recommending them.

I also hate seeing "Made by AMD" or "Made by Nvidia",

and if they do, both companies should be able to get access to the game at the same time. I would imagine it would be anti-competitive to have one company accessing the game early ( a bit as if a racing car manufacturer had access to the race track before )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I have to admit thier hardware are pretty good. But i hate seeing "nvidia" littered in-game in project cars.
As for amd yeah  i really applaud them for going the "open" route, if only nvidia got on the bandwagon as well, they have so much more talent and resource, im sure out of the two, nvidia is more than capable of doing so.

I love amd and their way of doing things (rebrandings aside). 
And nvidia is in general better performaning, but i hate thier "closed" aspect. feels like Apple vs android really.
And the fact that almost every single game with an nvidia on it will suck so bad on amd cards. The bigger the sticker the larger the gap, im looking at you project cars.

the hairworks vs tressfx issue to me doesnt matter as much, it is a bummer that they added it pretty late during the dev stage but well cant be helped, or can it.
Mantle was amazing, but didnt catch on, wonder why. I hope Vulkan and DX12 will level the playing fields again.
As for freesync and gsync, hard as it is to admit, which one would you prefer to see matured and working flawlessly on all panels in the future? i would rather go with freesync even if now some panels havent implemented  it correctly. And im sure nvidia can make a budget friendly gsync system as well, but will they?

tl:dr - love both, but i vouch for open technologies. so its the underdog for me. :)

I don't see the complaints with the whole locking things down.

Is it dumb? Sure. But they put the research and development into these products, they spend time and money to make them. They have every right to lock it down to their platform if they see fit, they created it.

If it nudges people's decisions on purchasing their hardware over another company, it's a benefit to them so I don't see why they do it unless they stopped seeing it as a marketable thing.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Nvidia has been hard at work advertising gameworks and not allowing AMD to optimise their games on their hardware.

2e8730a6ad.gif

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Well people need to stop sucking Nvidia off and being fanboys,

the 970 and 960 ( and to an extent 980 ) are, for the moment, not logically priced for the performance, and people are still buying them and recommending them.

The 960 is not worth it, but you can't be serious that the 970 is a bad choice. It's price/performance is really good compared to other cards (like the 960 and 980)

When in doubt: C4

It's a fact that physx doesn't run on AMD and AMD users have had problems to playing games. Personally I dont want to see me in 10 years just thinking, which nvidia cards should i use just because all the games will run gameworks and i want that fog to look foggy.\

We need the push and the nudge from competition to give nvidia more incentive to put RnD into hardware and not software, let game engine designers worrying about the software side. 

CPU i5 4690k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard Asus RoG Ranger LGA1150 RAM G Skill RipJaw 2x4gb 1600mhz GPU EVGA 980 Classified Case H440 Storage 120gb Samsung 840 SSD & Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Display(s) 2560x1440p Acer CB270HU Cooling Corsair H105 Keyboard Corsair k70 Mouse CM inferno Sound Xonar U7 Operating System Windows 8.1

As much as I want to like AMD, until arctic islands and zen I'm really going to struggle, even though some of their stuff now is very good for the price. I would rather recommend an R9 290/390 over a 970 if they are cheaper, as I personally think they are better cards, efficiency aside. However, nvidia have done well with marketing, development and the GeForce experience/control panel software is far better than catalyst IMO. Nvidia have a better end user experience than AMD largely and as they hold a larger market share, game developers will want to work with them more as more gamers use them. AMD are more than capable of going to developers and doing the same as nvidia, but they don't seem to as much.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

It's a fact that physx doesn't run on AMD and AMD users have had problems to playing games. Personally I dont want to see me in 10 years just thinking, which nvidia cards should i use just because all the games will run gameworks and i want that fog to look foggy.\

We need the push and the nudge from competition to give nvidia more incentive to put RnD into hardware and not software, let game engine designers worrying about the software side. 

You have no idea how wrong you are with using Project Cars as an example. :'D

I'm going to agree with Trik on this.

Jeez-not_again.jpg

Just stop. This discussion has been had one billion and one times.

And it's yet to have understanding for the one side that needs it.

Nvidia has been hard at work advertising gameworks and not allowing AMD to optimise their games on their hardware. A good example being Project Cars which is integrated with PhysX [and somewhat witcher 3]. What do you guys think about their aggressive marketing? I personally think we need to stop nvidia's monopolization. Also note, I am a nvidia user, loving shadowplay.

What about AMD optimized titles ;)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No this is a terrible example since no matter the gpu project cars puts physx on the cpu.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

What about AMD optimized titles ;)

Haven't seen that since BF4...

No this is a terrible example since no matter the gpu project cars puts physx on the cpu.

PhysX is nvidia's technology for the physics processing to be put on the gpu. Only amd cards run the physics on CPU. From what I've heard AMD generally run poorly compared to similarly spec gpu over on green team. I dont actually know however since I run a 980 in my system, never owned a AMD card in my life.

A couple of points, the project cars team tried to work with AMD but AMD didn't make much of an effort till after the launch and they got called out for it, also the PhysX in that game are all done on the CPU regardless of what brand GPU you use. Also the source for GameWorks is available to the developers, they cant pass it on to AMD but they can add optimisations for AMD hardware themselves, AMD can also optimise off the binary's.

As much as GameWorks has a bit of a bad image IMO its actually a good thing overall primarily because if you look at tech in the past, new things would come out but not get used for years because it was new and devs didn't really know how it use it, with Nvidia doing the ground work for devs we can start to see new technologies in games a lot sooner. The problem of course is AMD doesn't have the finances to do the same which would be good if they could but alas that's the lay of the land at the moment.

At the end of the day I don't think Nvidia want a monopoly because of the anti-trust issues that would bring but they do want to edge out as much market share without getting themselves to the point where AMD cant compete at all.

And it's not the crippling Apex PhysX either.. It's just a physics engine to model how the cars interact with the road surface and each other.

PhysX is nvidia's technology for the physics processing to be put on the gpu. Only amd cards run the physics on CPU

Sorry but wrong again. In the case of Project cards, the PhysX physics engine runs on the CPU no matter what. Would you like to try again?

A couple of points, the project cars team tried to work with AMD but AMD didn't make much of an effort till after the launch and they got called out for it also the physics in that game are all done on the CPU regardless of what brand GPU you use. Also the source for GameWorks is available to the developers, they cant pass it on to AMD but they can add optimisations for AMD hardware themselves.

As much as GameWorks has a bit of a bad image IMO its actually a good thing overall primarily because if you look at tech in the past, new things would come out but not get used for years because it was new and devs didn't really know how it use it, with Nvidia doing the ground work for devs we can start to see new technologies in games a lot sooner. The problem of course is AMD doesn't have the finances to do the same which would be good if they could but alas that's the lay of the land at the moment.

At the end of the day I don't think Nvidia want a monopoly because of the anti-trust issues that would bring but they do want to edge out as much market share without getting themselves to the point where AMD cant compete at all.

But you can never blame AMD, they're the golden child!

Hmm, this looks like something that will not run out of hand.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

good lord can you kids open your minds to the reality of these businesses?

NVIDIA IS A GRAPHICS COMPANY

AMD IS A MICROPROCESSOR COMPANY

NVidia is building/expanding tools for graphics design, and now developing tools to make all these years of research easier to implement for other people

AMD's marketing just needs to shut up and quit brainwashing the fanboys into thinking that NVidia is shunning them out. AMD is not a graphics company and do not have the structure nor funds to be one. They should be focusing on what they originally exist for - microprocessor solutions.

Just suck it up and accept the fact that a GRAPHICS company is excelling at their primary focus....GRAPHICS. There is nothing wrong with being the alternative option as far as a GPU product - but crying out from the top of your lungs that you're getting the shaft because you're behind in graphics research when your company's focus is microprocessors....just blows my mind in stupidity

because nvidia is Nazi, hall hail nvidia 

post-21562-0-16592300-1435240082.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

You have no idea how wrong you are with using Project Cars as an example. :'D

I'm going to agree with Trik on this.

And it's yet to have understanding for the one side that needs it.

Heres a random graph FOR PROJECT CARS off google images. Not my graph.post-213034-0-79770100-1435240106_thumb.

As you see AMD are clearly down the bottom

good lord can you kids open your minds to the reality of these businesses?

NVIDIA IS A GRAPHICS COMPANY

AMD IS A MICROPROCESSOR COMPANY

NVidia is building/expanding tools for graphics design, and now developing tools to make all these years of research easier to implement for other people

AMD's marketing just needs to shut up and quit brainwashing the fanboys into thinking that NVidia is shunning them out. AMD is not a graphics company and do not have the structure nor funds to be one. They should be focusing on what they originally exist for - microprocessor solutions.

Just suck it up and accept the fact that a GRAPHICS company is excelling at their primary focus....GRAPHICS. There is nothing wrong with being the alternative option as far as a GPU product - but crying out from the top of your lungs that you're getting the shaft because you're behind in graphics research when your company's focus is microprocessors....just blows my mind in stupidity

To be honest the difference is almost negligible. AMD doesn't have the capital to produce, so they go with the cheap route of whining and complaining to get people on their side.

Let me sum up exactly how this thread will end:

"grrr I'm angry because reasons" "grr fuk ur potato" "Admin plz help because flame war!" *Thread locked* -End scene

In all seriousness, LTT is not the place for a logical tech discussion. You could probably find a more intelligent conversation scribbled on the wall in a public restroom.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB