Nvidia Monopolising the market discussion.

Thier is no reason to Split Nivida if AMD diseappears i don't understand that logic

the only time i would see the need to split a company if thier a monoply is if they balls to the walls jack prices up. 

It depends on the anti-monopoly laws. They may say you need to split the company no matter what.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Nvidia has been hard at work advertising gameworks and not allowing AMD to optimise their games on their hardware. A good example being Project Cars which is integrated with PhysX [and somewhat witcher 3]. What do you guys think about their aggressive marketing? I personally think we need to stop nvidia's monopolization. Also note, I am a nvidia user, loving shadowplay.

Sure they were advertising it hard - they put hard work in it. Personally I totally don't care about their marketing but I do care about theq qualitiy of the hard- and software they deliver.

But seriously, do people really support a monopolization of the market? Do people really want nvidia to be the only choice we have in the future?

People aren't suporting monopoliziation. Seriously think about it, when you're about to buy a new graphics card what are you doing? I start reading reviews, ask people about their experiences and read and post in forums like this one. Usually one ore a few products are really exciting and I'll pick one of them. I *never* ever stood in a store in front of the shelf of graphics cards catching myself thinking "Humm when I buy this card how will this affect the future of the graphics card market, is it socially responsible to do this"?

If you want to blame someone for supporting monopolization blame AMD. Its not nVidias fault that they don't come up with software/driver side innovations that hit poeples interest. Who prevents AMD from implementing their own PhysiX system? Who prevents them from putting more money into the much needed research to get their GPU architecture up to date? Who made the decision that enthusiats are not worth the effort and focused on APUs? (business wise that was probably not so bad they'll earn quite some money though XBoxes and PS4s). But seriously no serious gamer or power user cares about APUs, so its no wonder PC gamers are turning to nVidia. AMD must have known this prior to the decision and obviously they didn't care. Other vendors are working hard for years now to increase the power efficiency of their products, energy is getting more and more expensive in many countrys. What does AMD do in their latest release? Put a water cooler on a stock card so it doesn't melt off the pole caps in idle -.- . Same with the (meanwhile almost ancient) FX CPUs - sure they keep your feet warm in the winter, but once the game has loaded your game time is probably over for the day and you have to go to bed.

A couple of years ago when a lot of users were complaining about the AMD Drivers, what did they do instead of addressing the problem - trying to solve it? They send one of their managers to a press conference giving a statement "We have the best drivers!". Sure I mean the solution is cheap - but do I want to be customer of a company acting like that? Can you blame people for answering that question with a "no"!

Also a couple of years ago there were already nVidia TDR issues similar to the ones there apparently are now with the 980Ti. Both my wifes and my cards were afected. I posted a detailed report at the nVidia forums. THE SAME DAY I got a PM from an nVidia employee asking me for the exact model and serial number of the affected cards. nVidia then ordered samples of those from Gainward to reproduce and fix the issue. 2 months later the TDRs were gone - never had one ever again. Try that with AMD, good luck.

Long story short the only who is standing in AMDs way is AMD. They need to get their butt moving and start investing and inventing again instead of countin nickles and diamonds. If they don't do that now they will lose, and it's not nVidias or Intels fault. And I'm definitly not punsihing myself with a shitty system, by buying AMD producs against any common sense just to keep that company artificially alive, because THEY don't do their homework.

I think AMD has done a fine job with their GPU. Reminding that I have been on green team since forever. But AMD have squeezed more performance out of an older architecture which took nvidia at least 2 generations of architecture to reach. the 390 is still a competitive card.

The fury X if you watch hardware chuncks beats the titan X in 4k at more optimised games. TBH I think linus's graphs are a bit dodgy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCb6oiJ6EI

If you don't look at the power efficiency AMD has had quite good graphics hardware (which is starting to get a bit outdated meanwhile). The real problem is their drivers are so bad they can suck golf balls through garden hoses no problems.

That's kind of an odd way to do it. It makes more sense to look at performance comparisons of the actual cards you're looking to buy. ;)

"Wow that 980Ti is really fast. Guess I'll buy the 970 instead of the R9 390." :blink:  wut? 

Sounds like your friend made a good decision there.

It depends on the anti-monopoly laws. They may say you need to split the company no matter what.

"logic"

i just find that wrong. 

no reason to split if no harm done -_-

Also on a personal note I find AMDs marketing strategy much worse, at any AMD talk they always bash Nvidia on the flip side you pretty much never see that from Nvidia, I prefer to see people stand on their own merits rather than prop themselves up by pointing out others failings.

very very true. Not once during their press conferences or interview with reviewers do they bash AMD. They stick to commenting on THEIR own products.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

Sure they were advertising it hard - they put hard work in it. Personally I totally don't care about their marketing but I do care about theq qualitiy of the hard- and software they deliver.

People aren't suporting monopoliziation. Seriously think about it, when you're about to buy a new graphics card what are you doing? I start reading reviews, ask people about their experiences and read and post in forums like this one. Usually one ore a few products are really exciting and I'll pick one of them. I *never* ever stood in a store in front of the shelf of graphics cards catching myself thinking "Humm when I buy this card how will this affect the future of the graphics card market, is it socially responsible to do this"?

If you want to blame someone for supporting monopolization blame AMD. Its not nVidias fault that they don't come up with software/driver side innovations that hit poeples interest. Who prevents AMD from implementing their own PhysiX system? Who prevents them from putting more money into the much needed research to get their GPU architecture up to date? Who made the decision that enthusiats are not worth the effort and focused on APUs? (business wise that was probably not so bad they'll earn quite some money though XBoxes and PS4s). But seriously no serious gamer or power user cares about APUs, so its no wonder PC gamers are turning to nVidia. AMD must have known this prior to the decision and obviously they didn't care. Other vendors are working hard for years now to increase the power efficiency of their products, energy is getting more and more expensive in many countrys. What does AMD do in their latest release? Put a water cooler on a stock card so it doesn't melt off the pole caps in idle -.- . Same with the (meanwhile almost ancient) FX CPUs - sure they keep your feet warm in the winter, but once the game has loaded your game time is probably over for the day and you have to go to bed.

A couple of years ago when a lot of users were complaining about the AMD Drivers, what did they do instead of addressing the problem - trying to solve it? They send one of their managers to a press conference giving a statement "We have the best drivers!". Sure I mean the solution is cheap - but do I want to be customer of a company acting like that? Can you blame people for answering that question with a "no"!

Also a couple of years ago there were already nVidia TDR issues similar to the ones there apparently are now with the 980Ti. Both my wifes and my cards were afected. I posted a detailed report at the nVidia forums. THE SAME DAY I got a PM from an nVidia employee asking me for the exact model and serial number of the affected cards. nVidia then ordered samples of those from Gainward to reproduce and fix the issue. 2 months later the TDRs were gone - never had one ever again. Try that with AMD, good luck.

Long story short the only who is standing in AMDs way is AMD. They need to get their butt moving and start investing and inventing again instead of countin nickles and diamonds. If they don't do that now they will lose, and it's not nVidias or Intels fault. And I'm definitly not punsihing myself with a shitty system, by buying AMD producs against any common sense just to keep that company artificially alive, because THEY don't do their homework.

If you don't look at the power efficiency AMD has had quite good graphics hardware (which is starting to get a bit outdated meanwhile). The real problem is their drivers are so bad they can suck golf balls through garden hoses no problems.

Sounds like your friend made a good decision there.

I have said this before :

After installing your GPU, you should NOT have to EVER see the driver screen.

I have installed multiple AMD and Nvidia cards for people, the only "driver issues" that I have people request help over where with pre-release beta games ( hearthstone ) not launching or new titles ( bf:hardline or batman ) requiring a driver update.

the fact that people think the drivers will burn your house to the ground and dance on your cat's grave is a stupid myth perpetuated by people who don't use AMD or need a reason to hate.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

@Mihemine

Where did I talk about "seeing the driver screen"? I assume you intend to refer to the nVidia Control Panel/Catalyst Control Center, when talking about "driver screen".

the fact that people think the drivers will burn your house to the ground and dance on your cat's grave is a stupid myth perpetuated by people who don't use AMD or need a reason to hate.

And yes drivers will actually cause your OS or at least your applications to run unstable if they are defective. And if there is one area AMD is way ahead of nVidia then it is unfortunately in releasing unstable drivers. From what I've read here on the forum their long release cycles don't make it any better.

@Mihemine

Where did I talk about "seeing the driver screen"? I assume you intend to refer to the nVidia Control Panel/Catalyst Control Center, when talking about "driver screen".

And yes drivers will actually cause your OS or at least your applications to run unstable if they are defective. And if there is one area AMD is way ahead of nVidia then it is unfortunately in releasing unstable drivers. From what I've read here on the forum their long release cycles don't make it any better.

What I mean is having to see the driver control panel.

You never need to see it, and I ( along with most people ) have never had problems with the "unstable drivers".

The only area where the drivers could come into play is at release when the drivers aren't completely optimized ( and they do take longer than nvidia to get the GPU's running at full potential ) .

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Anyone who blames Nvidia for AMD's lack of effort is a fucking moron.

I can understand if a company buys out its competitors, buys out supplies, resources, labor... etc.

The only one to blame for AMD's failure is AMD.

Don't bitch and complain if Nvidia sends engineers to work with game developers to optimize titles for their hardware.  What you should be asking is "Why didn't AMD send their own boys to go along?"

The same goes for their CPU department.  When are they going to make their top dog just be on par with Intel's middle child?

AMD did receive the contract for both "next gen" consoles.  Guess what, both consoles suck.  Not AMD's fault, they're just building what was asked of them.  But both still suck.

There's also a lack of effort on updating drivers for their GPU.  They release a new GPU yet they don't have the proper driver.

AMD is just plain slacking.  Pure lack of effort and innovation.

They're currently worth about $2.50 per share.  Keep it up and they'll be worth a buck by next year.

• 3 weeks later...
Most often Gameworks get's added at a very late time. Far Cry 4 version 1.0.0 for example didn't have tessellation and FUR (hairworks). Also the ambient lightning was altered and optimized at 1.0.1 (day one patch). So even if AMD had access to version 1.0.0 prior to the release they couldn't optimize what wasn't there yet...

We also have to realize that games sometimes get rushed to meet the release date. Nvidia has only given a few weeks to add the GameWorks features and also forwards that version to their driverteam for optimization. In such occasion AMD gets the retail version just days prior to release. That's means that AMD is at least 3 weeks behind Nvidia. AMD then releases a beta driver within two weeks after the release.

Also Nvidia argues that Gameworks sourcecode is available for the game developer. While that's true the game developer is prohibited to share that to third parties like AMD. This makes Gameworks a black box for AMD.

Also Nvidia argues that Gameworks sourcecode is available for the game developer. While that's true the game developer is prohibited to share that to third parties like AMD. This makes Gameworks a black box for AMD.

According to Nvidia drivers are made off binary so there isn't any need to see the source code. Game developers can optimized for AMD if they want. Nothing is stopping that. AMD can even get the games to work, they just didn't seem to have enough time with the game, something which Nvidia doesn't control.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I dont care about price as much as i care about performance.

And 980Ti has no competition atm.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO