You don't get a warrantee because Linus might die at an inconvenient time

Wireless G-Spot
21 minutes ago, danomicar said:

Lot of people in here on a moral high ground by saying this is "anti-consumer." Impressive how some can read the situation so poorly. 

I mean, it is quite literally anti-consumer. It's interesting how eager people are when it's time to call out corporations and reiterate the mantra "corporations aren't your friends" and the immediately abandon that notion once it's a corpo they've built up a parasocial relationship with. I find it hypocritical for people to defend this when they'd absolutely lose their shit if any of the tech companies they enrich with their purchases wouldn't offer blanket warranties on defects and insisted on looking at each case on an individual basis without any legally binding agreement and telling people to go on Twitter in case of radio silence from their support teams.

Then again, I'm not primarily critical of the lack of a warranty simply because it's anti-consumer. What bothers me more is the nonsensical excuse for not having a warranty policy. If the law doesn't mandate any sort of minimal warranty, then not having one is, at least under that lens, perfectly fine (still anti-consumer, though). But then don't tell me you don't want to offer a warranty "because I don't want to saddle my wife with any legal liability in case I bite the dust". Just tell me you don't want to offer a warranty because you don't want to offer a warranty. Period. It's the dishonest bullshittery that bothers me, not that there's no warranty on offer per se. You'd never buy that line from any other CEO, least of which from any of the tech companies you've bought products from. What makes Linus so special and worthy of defense?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't see why his team of well talented employees or his family would say no to a very profitable company, unless LMG has no plan for a future which seems like a rather poor excuse as well.

Linus actually talked about this like 5 months ago.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Their customer service has been some of the best I have ever dealt with - this is not something I would be concerned about, at least not in the near future.

Policy can change over time, but currently their policies have held up and they have fantastic customer support and that will likely not change over night. As such I can EASILY see no changes to this over the next year or two - would you expect a longer warranty than that anyways? Its literally a wear item, using it will wear it out. They will not offer a lifetime warranty on something that is built to wear out over time (its not "built" to wear out, its built to attempt and stave off the inevitable as long as possible, inevitable being failure).

If you don't trust Linus at his word.... go somewhere else to buy a backpack, he won't be offended I promise. As we all know, no corporation "is our friend", and if you don't trust the product, no harm no foul. Move along, there are plenty of others who will happily take a lot more of your money. I love my peak design 20L, they got my money, I am not even sure there is a warranty? I am not exactly worried about it though because I know they will stand behind their product much like they have their leashes which they voluntarily replaced for everyone if you got some of the subpar versions. Linus and LMG has shown a similar policy in the past so I have no reason to question them. But again, if you do question them, move along. 

The brown nosing is truly real here damn. Linus cult i guess

3 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

The brown nosing is truly real here damn. Linus cult i guess

Not at all, I didn't buy one.... And I don't plan to. BUT, based on previous experiences, I wouldn't be worried.

This is why I am brand loyal to companies like Corsair and EVGA - on multiple occasions they have both honored a warranty beyond the products warranty period. Its a very similar concept, I trust my money with a brand that supports their products, end of story. I have had similar customer service experience with LMG.

This isn't a computer or tech item guys, its a backpack. And its a relatively affordable backpack at that - actually I would go so far as to say its INCREDIBLY aggressively priced.

I would like their products to have a warranty, and I think if they actually plan to get into the wire selling business they will need to sort this out. But I am not so worried about a few pieces of apparel.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

5 hours ago, Dazza477 said:

My post on Reddit explains it further. When reading the comments, the community seems split. I'd like them to address this, because of how famously pro-consumer Linus is. Not providing legal protection and saying 'trust me bro, we got you', is not enough. Remember in Linus's word, LMG is not your friend. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/wij6n8/linuss_take_on_backpack_warranty_is_anticonsumer/

To be fair I feel like one very obvious criticism to be made of the company is Linus when it's convenient acting as though he's not a small business owner and instead just in charge of a group of wacky friends who can supply people with stuff. Remember his whole argument multiple times about why he hopes that LMG never has any part of it unionized is that he thinks that a union would make him a bad boss.

Personally I feel like having at least a one-year warranty for manufacturer defects at least shouldn't be unreasonable. They do have a proper return policy so even if they would like to avoid the risks of lifetime warranty, also the whole reason why Yvonne helped him pay to set up LMG as an actual company is that it's not like the money for a warranty would come from them if something happened to LMG the corporation would be responsible not the individual inheritors.

42 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

-video snip-

Linus actually talked about this like 5 months ago.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that, Linus says he's been running LMG for 9 years and he still doesn't know what to do as far as the company having a future in case he died?

Are LLC's not a thing in Canada? I think if Linus wants to act like he's running a company he should be running LMG like a company.

Also I find it weird Linus commented on not allowing ad blockers on company computers, weird he wants to have employees waste time on ads.

26 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Not at all, I didn't buy one.... And I don't plan to. BUT, based on previous experiences, I wouldn't be worried.

This is why I am brand loyal to companies like Corsair and EVGA - on multiple occasions they have both honored a warranty beyond the products warranty period. Its a very similar concept, I trust my money with a brand that supports their products, end of story. I have had similar customer service experience with LMG.

This isn't a computer or tech item guys, its a backpack. And its a relatively affordable backpack at that - actually I would go so far as to say its INCREDIBLY aggressively priced.

I would like their products to have a warranty, and I think if they actually plan to get into the wire selling business they will need to sort this out. But I am not so worried about a few pieces of apparel.

The only companies I stay brand loyal to is EVGA, Logitech, and GSkill, because their warranty, product quality is usually good too. I stopped buying anything from Corsair as the last RMA I did on a PSU they ended up sending me a refurbished unit and didn't even bother to tell me that, I think Corsair expanded too much into other crap like gaming chairs and overpriced RGB accessories to actually care abut the consumer.  And companies can change so having a warranty is important IMO.

A backpack can arrive with loose threads, or a defective zipper can break, I don't know what other backpacks compare in the $200-250 range, I can't justify spending $100 on a backpack anyway but I would expect some sort of warranty on it, I think a 1 year warranty would be sufficient enough.

43 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

that means shit.

the companies you mentioned STILL offer a basic warranty. Thats NOT the case here.

9 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

that means shit.

the companies you mentioned STILL offer a basic warranty. Thats NOT the case here.

Why does it mean nothing? LMG has stood behind all of their previous products without having a warranty. Plenty of people have water bottles, and shirts, and other garments. No warranty… people seem to be pretty happy with the products, myself included. And their customer support has gone above and beyond in my experience thus far. 

Again, if a lack of warranty is a deal breaker for you, don’t buy from them. It’s really rather simple. I personally have trust built up with the LMG brand, and this isn’t a concern for me. If you don’t have the same trust, that’s totally fair. 

Other companies can just as easily go under and then your warranty you thought you had will go proof. Likely Logitech or EVGA won’t go under, but it happens. BFG has lifetime GPU warranty’s! Oh, shoot, BFG doesn’t exist anymore - I bet the people who bought the cast series BFG made were real pissed about that. Thus is life I suppose. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

23 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

that means shit.

Also. Wait. Let’s take a giant step back here real quick. Linus has committed to providing support for his products publicly. At the end of the day, what really is the difference between that and an official warranty? A company can always deny warranty coverage, for valid or invalid reasons. If you bought something from a slightly less stand up company that says in big bold letters “lifetime warranty”, but they refuse to honor yours on some technically they made up, does that mean more then a proven track record of support from a company that doesn’t technically say the words warranty on their website? What would you the consumer do in situation number 1? Say LMG had a warranty but decided not to honor it because “user error, you abused your backup”… what would you do? You effectively can’t do anything in either of these situations.

I would argue, at least LMG has a solid policy and they have stuck to it thus far by all accounts. Hopefully they don’t change their ways, and hopefully they do develop a warranty - but even if they do, we still have to take them at their word that they will stand behind it, and we have to hope LMG doesn’t go insolvent in order to actually honor it. 

32 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Also. Wait. Let’s take a giant step back here real quick. Linus has committed to providing support for his products publicly. At the end of the day, what really is the difference between that and an official warranty? A company can always deny warranty coverage, for valid or invalid reasons. If you bought something from a slightly less stand up company that says in big bold letters “lifetime warranty”, but they refuse to honor yours on some technically they made up, does that mean more then a proven track record of support from a company that doesn’t technically say the words warranty on their website? What would you the consumer do in situation number 1? Say LMG had a warranty but decided not to honor it because “user error, you abused your backup”… what would you do? You effectively can’t do anything in either of these situations.

I would argue, at least LMG has a solid policy and they have stuck to it thus far by all accounts. Hopefully they don’t change their ways, and hopefully they do develop a warranty - but even if they do, we still have to take them at their word that they will stand behind it, and we have to hope LMG doesn’t go insolvent in order to actually honor it. 

the problem ISNT lifetime warranty. the problem is international standard warranty of upto 2 years. they dont even have THAT.

8 hours ago, Pickles von Brine said:

He has a pretty good point though. Rather forward thinking in regards to his family and kids. 

How is that a good point in any sense of the word?

He isn't your grandma that is knitting sweaters and selling them at a local country fair. He is a BUSINESS MAN. LTT IS A BUSINESS, NOT YOUR FRIEND. Businesses have protocols and guidelines on what to do in those scenarios. Will Amazon stop accepting your warranty if Jiff Bizon dies? NO

Both LMG and Amazon have employees that deal with shipping and returns etc.

Just because you have a parasocial relationship with the guy doesn't mean that he couldn't provide warranty for a 250$ backpack.

To me it just shows that he doesn't believe in his product. Because if actually was 250$ backpack, he shouldn't get many warranty claims, because it is a quality product, right?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

32 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

To me it just shows that he doesn't believe in his product.

Equating warranty and quality is hilarious. Iphone warranty only last for a year. Does it make it a low quality product? Buying applecare gives you extended warranty which suddenly makes the product a better quality one?

If he dies today, LTT will slowly degrade until a point that they cant fulfill their warranty anymore and Linus doesnt want his family to bear with the responsibility.

That's his point.

And as long as he is around and the company is surviving, he has shown that defective product will be exchanged or refunded somehow.

I do empathize those who are not fans of LTT to be skeptical and upset as they do not trust LTT.

8 minutes ago, crazzp said:

Equating warranty and quality is hilarious. Iphone warranty only last for a year. Does it make it a low quality product? Buying applecare gives you extended warranty which suddenly makes the product a better quality one?

I mean Iphones are a totally different subject, I don't know why you brought it into here. Staying on the same subject most bags starting at 100$ have a lifetime warranty, and it is a 250$ bag. I am not saying that it needs to have a lifetime one, but most companies trust their bags enough to give such promises.

If he dies today, LTT will slowly degrade until a point that they cant fulfill their warranty anymore and Linus doesnt want his family to bear with the responsibility.

That's his point.

Why would they continue selling the bags then after Linus dies? If they included a standard 2 year warranty, I am not seeing how they would degrade so much in 2 years to not be able to cover like 10 warranty claims. AGAIN, LMG is a business, they have reserves, they could just hire someone to take care of warranty for those 2 years after Linus died. Family still has nothing to do with it.

And as long as he is around and the company is surviving, he has shown that defective product will be exchanged or refunded somehow.

Well yes, at least he has that going for it. On this forum I have seen plenty of posts where someone has a problem, and then Colton or whoever replies and they get it sorted out. Still if they have that capability, they could give out warranties, but they don't. It wouldn't be any extra work as they already do the exact same work, just unoffically.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

8 hours ago, Roswell said:

Kind of hilarious seeing people rationalize the idea of a backpack (or most any other product) not having a warranty. 

He's basically informing you that he's not confident in the long-term durability of the product and forgoing a basic consumer protection that literally every other manufacturer provides.

I don't agree at all. He's said several times he's confident in the product.

Something to think about is logistics, and the size of the company. Let's say this is a one off item, and he decides that in the end it wasn't really worth the profit. He decides not to carry the backpack anymore. But, he has sold 40,000. How many do you keep in reserve? 1,000? 2,000? 4,000? For 3 years? The costs of storing inventory like that is massive. It would make far more sense to simply use a fraction of that money to refund anyone who has issues with the bag, which they've shown in the past they'll do for other products.

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Well that's anti consumer as fuck.

Linus sure had some weird contradicting morals.

Would it be anti consumer if, instead of offering warranties, they refunded people who had issues with the bag?

Genuinely curious what your thought is.

Though I do see that having an expressed warranty would guarantee this. Though it could also lead to misuse. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I see a lot of people bent out of shape over this. Here's the deal there are many products that have warranties but companies always find a way to screw the customer. Either this warranties cover very little or they will blame the user for the malfunction of the product to weasel their way out of it. So a warranty would only be a good as the company who provides it. So in my opinion is about how good the product is, rather than the terms of the warranty. 

The other thing and maybe some of our neighbors to the north might be able to comment. What is Canada's policy on warranty? Whats the law? Because LMG is only required to do up to what the law requires. 

The product you're selling should be fit for purpose.

However, if you feel it's not, and the company disagrees with you, it's on you to go to court to settle it.

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Haha, I wouldn't say it's incredibly aggressively priced, but it seems about right for a rather niche product.

Also agree about backing companies who you've had good experiences with, though some people consider that "donating to x."

46 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

the problem ISNT lifetime warranty. the problem is international standard warranty of upto 2 years. they dont even have THAT.

Where did that come from? When has there ever been a standard international warranty? Or am I reading something completely out of context.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Would it be anti consumer if, instead of offering warranties, they refunded people who had issues with the bag?

Though I do see that having an expressed warranty would guarantee this. Though it could also lead to misuse.

if it was a written guaranteed thing, then no. but having a vague "we don't have a warranty, but contact us and our customer support will sort it out" is not a good look. because if they just decide one day "it costs too much to keep having our store staff responding to and arranging for backpacks to be sent back is costing too much" then they can just fall back on the "well we said no warranty, too bad".

What makes LMGs bag warranty more open to misuse than any other product? for such an expensive bag it had better have some actual warranty, not just rely on good will.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I agree with the sentiment that not providing warranty basically means you have no confidence your product will last at least X amount of time. If he is sure that the backpack lasts (sounds like he does) at least 2 years there shouldn't be any problem with providing a 2 year warranty. Even if customer service seems to be great, the "i got you bro" policy is nothing you can fall back to if customer service one day doesn't just ship you a new one.

Another thing: Isn't it ILLEGAL to not offer warranty on a new (as in "not used", not as in recently introduced) product in most countries? For example in germany there is a law that REQUIRES sellers to provide 2 years of warranty on ANY new goods. I'm not sure how that works with imported goods though as i rarely import anything myself.

I'm not saying LTT's products are inherently bad because they don't offer warranty but for me personally it's a big red flag, especially for more pricy products such as the backpack.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Another thing: Isn't it ILLEGAL to not offer warranty on a new (as in "not used", not as in recently introduced) product in most countries? For example in germany there is a law that REQUIRES sellers to provide 2 years of warranty on ANY new goods. I'm not sure how that works with imported goods though as i rarely import anything myself.

The 2 year warranty only applies to EU-based sellers, so not on imported goods as far as I interpret it: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

EU law give you a two-year guarantee for any new goods bought from a professional trader based in the EU. During this two-year period, the trader is responsible for any fault in the product - you must be able to use your sofa normally without any faults appearing.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I don't agree at all. He's said several times he's confident in the product.

Something to think about is logistics, and the size of the company. Let's say this is a one off item, and he decides that in the end it wasn't really worth the profit. He decides not to carry the backpack anymore. But, he has sold 40,000. How many do you keep in reserve? 1,000? 2,000? 4,000? For 3 years? The costs of storing inventory like that is massive. It would make far more sense to simply use a fraction of that money to refund anyone who has issues with the bag, which they've shown in the past they'll do for other products.

Though I do see that having an expressed warranty would guarantee this. Though it could also lead to misuse. 🤷‍♂️

Aren't warranties basically the legal manifestations of such confidence? In my opinion if you really are that confident in a product then you should be able to risk putting your money where your mouth is and offer a (basic) warranty. Offering a refund wouldn't be anti-consumer in my opinion and an alternative. That is how warranties here in the EU are typically handled as well. First stop is a replacement. If that is not possible it's either an equal or better alternative product or a refund. In the EU the basic warranty is 2 years. Faults showing up in the first 6 months are easier to claim, after that sellers are allowed to ask for more proof that it was really product failure and not some other cause.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

41 minutes ago, tikker said:

The 2 year warranty only applies to EU-based sellers, so not on imported goods as far as I interpret it:

Thanks for the info! Just another argument on why LTT won't be opening up an EU-based warehouse anytime soon.

After the lack of warranty shipping cost is the next biggest problem they have. Not necessarily their fault but it is what it is. For most people it just doesn't make sense to buy a mouse pad for (at least) double of what it costs locally for a decent one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Even used car salesmen say their confident in every car they sell.  Must be as a good as a legal warranty right? 

Sure thing...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I was looking forward to the screwdriver but without a warranty I can't afford to pay the £80 or so it'll cost to ship it in.  No way i wanna be digging through youtube in a couple of years trying to find this WAN show when the company i bought a product from says "Sorry there's no warranty on this item" I'd rather get the GN screwdriver kit with the 7 year warranty (which they'r so confident in they retroactively added to older purchases of said kit)

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Anyone not seeing Linus as a normal businessman (well, kind of normal, IMHO he has still a lot to learn) needs to check their in with their doctor. You see the normal pattern "everyone else is bad, but trust me I completely stand behind my product and it's perfect for everyone, even for your pet turtle".

No company is your friend, not LMG, not even the burger place owned by your brother, no matter how much they tell you that they are on your side their only goal is to get your money and be done with it. This is literally the reason why warranties exist, because we cannot and we shouldn't trust any company without having black on white for their promises. Of course companies will try to roll the cause on the customer and wiggle out of the warranty because that is the business but because that warranty if the customer is in right and can prove it, the company must honor their contract and fix, replace or refund the product.

"Our customer support has a very good track record and they will just deal with it" is probably the worst marketing speech about warranty on a product I have ever heard, next time I expect couple crocodile tears and "Trust me, bro" at the end to add the cherry on the cake. Company policy "just dealing with it" can be literally just that, dealing with it; Year later your backpacks strap falls off, the water bottles lid seal just crumbles away, screwdrivers handle biodegrades into nothingness and the answer might be "We only provide initial fault cover and have not offered any extended warranty on our products, so just deal with it and have a nice day".

On one hand I can understand Linus not wanting to put pressure on his family if something happens to him and the company doesn't collapse within few days after. On the second hand, is this really how much Linus believes in the quality of his products? Because in the end the warranty is the ultimate measure how much company really believes in their product, they are confident their products will last at least the warranty period, they know there will be "Monday pieces" with faults that will break during that warranty but they are confident those are fraction of the products they ship and almost all of them will be fine and well. Because that is the point, willing to risk it all for the product, you are so confident about the product you are willing to risk it all, otherwise it is just marketing speech that even the half-dimwit could back off and run away.

Hell, even Tech Jesus is giving 7-year warranty to their toolkit and Linus goes "just trust us, bro"...

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Of course companies will try to roll the cause on the customer and wiggle out of the warranty because that is the business but because that warranty if the customer is in right and can prove it, the company must honor their contract and fix, replace or refund the product.

It just occurred to me that this point has been entirely glossed over up to now. A lot of people in this thread have brought up the notion of companies dodging warranty liability, therefore it's not that bad if LMG don't offer a warranty, because it'd be implicitly worthless if they could just dodge responsibility (which in itself ignores the fact that any warranty is already more legally binding than a "dude, trust me"). But if you follow that thread to its logical end, you'd have to conclude that any and all warranties are therefore superfluous. If you excuse this behavior from LMG, you necessarily have to excuse it from every other company on the planet. If, of course, you are a person of principles and apply them evenly and consistently. If you're blinded by your parasocial relationship, you might obviously be inclined to make an exception for your best buddy Linus. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

k, I wasn't aware of that, Linus says he's been running LMG for 9 years and he still doesn't know what to do as far as the company having a future in case he died?

Are LLC's not a thing in Canada? I think if Linus wants to act like he's running a company he should be running LMG like a company.

If you actually watched the clip he explains it. There are large amounts of taxes for the person who inherits it would have to pay. Like it could be in the order of MILLIONS of dollars. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Ok, I wasn't aware of that, Linus says he's been running LMG for 9 years and he still doesn't know what to do as far as the company having a future in case he died?

LLC's are indeed not a thing in Canada, but his company is incorporated so officially it's a corporation which does offer the limited liability that you are mentioning. It also probably is part of why they have an accounting department as there's more paperwork for Corporations then partnerships or sole proprietorships.
image.thumb.png.264992f7e44ccb3a46dd3759393f76e5.png

I am just surprised that people are buying a backpack for 250 dollars + the cost of like shipping.

I bought a 50 dollar backpack from a local sports store when I was going to Japan and that backpack has been excellent. I find it hard to believe that another 200 dollars would have made it significantly better.

I have just read a little bit about this since I am not really interested, but I can't avoid it since this is like the 4th thread about it I see.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems like the excuses Linus has given are all bullshit.

His companies are registered as corporations, which means it has very similar benefits to a US style LLC. If something happens to a massive amount of backpacks and it ends up costing them a lot of money, then that burden is on the company itself, not the people like Linus, his wife or whatever.

Secondly, the lifetime guarantee that keeps getting brought up for some reason is only valid for the lifetime of the company. Linus pointing to OCZ or whatever and going "see how little a lifetime warranty matters?" is actually an argument for why it should have a warranty (not necessarily a lifetime warranty).

He is just speaking out of both sides of his mouth like always. If warranties aren't a big deal because companies can get out from them anyway, why not provide one?

At the end of the day, pretty much all LTT merch is overpriced and in my opinion should not be bought. I mean, just look at their website.

15 dollar cable ties.

50 dollar sweatpants.

10 dollar lanyards.

70 dollar screwdrivers.

70-90 dollar hoodies.

30 dollar water bottles.

250 dollar backpacks.

The list goes on.

But, if you view these things as donations to LMG, and you get a little gift for your donation, then I think this is fair.

Donate 30 dollars and you get a water bottle. Donate 250 dollars and you get a backpack.

If we view this backpack as a premium product bought from a regular store, then I think this is awful. The price seems to be awful, the warranty is nonexistent, the amount of complaints I have seen regarding their customer support makes me not trust it even if it did have a warranty, etc, etc. I would pretty much never recommend anyone buy anything from LTT based on the merits of the product alone. 

But if someone said they wanted to donate 30 dollars to LMG then I would tell them to buy something from their store instead. At least then the customer gets something in return for their money.

Not providing a warranty on something that is essentially a freebie for a donation is fine in my opinion.

But then the question becomes, should people be donating huge amounts of money to celebrities that are already millionaires that own sports cars, mansions, their own private gyms, etc? My answer to that question would be no, they shouldn't. That money is better spent on other things in most cases.

Edit:

The thing I always find the most entertaining whenever Linus ends up in a controversy is that he always doubles down.

I can't believe he actually wrote that "warranty period means nothing" and that "it doesn't actually make a difference if we have a formal warranty policy". If it doesn't matter, why not just write one and appease the angry people? 

Spoiler

9ejv9qzslgg91.thumb.jpg.734abbaba49472d0cab6dbbe6fce0534.jpg