You don't get a warrantee because Linus might die at an inconvenient time

Wireless G-Spot

He has a pretty good point though. Rather forward thinking in regards to his family and kids. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

You don't get an explicit guaranteed lifetime warranty but that doesn't mean if something happens to the backpack they won't still do something about it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

He has a pretty good point though. Rather forward thinking in regards to his family and kids. 

You think not providing warrantee's is forward thinking?  Last time I checked his employees can handle the warrantee's in the unlikely event of his death and Yvonne doesn't want to deal with the company.

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You don't get an explicit guaranteed lifetime warranty but that doesn't mean if something happens to the backpack they won't still do something about it.

I agree, his company is very good about exchanging or replacing items.  That doesn't change the fact his excuse was stupid.  Linus could have stopped at "It's company policy to just handle any issues regarding items from our store."  With the implication "handle" means we'll take care of our customers.  But no, he kept talking and said something completely nonsensical. 

20 minutes ago, Wireless G-Spot said:

You think not providing warrantee's is forward thinking?  Last time I checked his employees can handle the warrantee's in the unlikely event of his death and Yvonne doesn't want to deal with the company.

And you think the employees will want to?

If something happens to Linus, LMG as a company would shortly after cease to exist. An admirable effort has been made to establish other people as onscreen personalities so it isn't a total one-man show as far as the audience is concerned but the reality still is: Linus is LMG. If he's gone, then in all likelihood the company will wind up its operations and go out of business, and all the employees will move on to other jobs. 

You don't like the warranty policy (or lack thereof), buy something else. I'm getting a little tired of all of the drama about this thing like it's the only fancy backpack that exists, when in fact there's a whole cottage industry of overpriced, overengineered EDC bags marketed at techy nerds. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

My post on Reddit explains it further. When reading the comments, the community seems split. I'd like them to address this, because of how famously pro-consumer Linus is. Not providing legal protection and saying 'trust me bro, we got you', is not enough. Remember in Linus's word, LMG is not your friend. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/wij6n8/linuss_take_on_backpack_warranty_is_anticonsumer/

CPU - Intel Core i5 10600K @ 5GHz @ 1.35v + EK Custom Loop (Evo Supremacy Block, 240mm Copper Radiator, Res/Pump Combo, Mayhem Soft Tubing and Fluid) - GPU - Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 1070 - RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200MHz - Mobo - Asus Z490-A Prime - SSD - Samsung 850 120GB - HDD - 2TB WD Black - PSU - EVGA G2 650W Gold - Case - Corsair 680X RGB White with 6 x Corsair LL120 Fans. 

Picture of my System - https://imgur.com/gallery/q27dw2g

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Linus is LMG.

Lets be honest.  It's Floatplane that Linus really wants to take off (no pun intended) as that is a company that's ok, owned and CEO'd by him, but not actually reliant on his face to push sales on.  I'm still assuming Luke is still the COO rather than the CEO of Floatplane anyways.  That's the company that is really designed to provide and support Yvonne and the kids in the event of an untimely Linus departure.  I know LMG and the subsequent channels are the one that bring in the big bucks at the minute.  Linus is smart enough to realise that it's him that brings people in though

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Kind of hilarious seeing people rationalize the idea of a backpack (or most any other product) not having a warranty. 

He's basically informing you that he's not confident in the long-term durability of the product and forgoing a basic consumer protection that literally every other manufacturer provides.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Their customer service has been some of the best I have ever dealt with - this is not something I would be concerned about, at least not in the near future.

Policy can change over time, but currently their policies have held up and they have fantastic customer support and that will likely not change over night. As such I can EASILY see no changes to this over the next year or two - would you expect a longer warranty than that anyways? Its literally a wear item, using it will wear it out. They will not offer a lifetime warranty on something that is built to wear out over time (its not "built" to wear out, its built to attempt and stave off the inevitable as long as possible, inevitable being failure).

If you don't trust Linus at his word.... go somewhere else to buy a backpack, he won't be offended I promise. As we all know, no corporation "is our friend", and if you don't trust the product, no harm no foul. Move along, there are plenty of others who will happily take a lot more of your money. I love my peak design 20L, they got my money, I am not even sure there is a warranty? I am not exactly worried about it though because I know they will stand behind their product much like they have their leashes which they voluntarily replaced for everyone if you got some of the subpar versions. Linus and LMG has shown a similar policy in the past so I have no reason to question them. But again, if you do question them, move along. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

If something happens to Linus, LMG as a company would shortly after cease to exist. An admirable effort has been made to establish other people as onscreen personalities so it isn't a total one-man show as far as the audience is concerned but the reality still is: Linus is LMG. If he's gone, then in all likelihood the company will wind up its operations and go out of business, and all the employees will move on to other jobs. 

I highly doubt that and there's little evidence for that being true. LTT isn't like TotalBiscuit, largely a one-person enterprise where if the star ends up passing away there's little to nothing in the background that could prop up the venture. It's more akin to TKOR, whose creator passed away 3 years ago and the channel was still pulling in great numbers for a couple of years until these days, where some entirely unrelated issues seem to have tanked the view numbers. But they successfully expanded their roster of on-camera talent similar to LTT before that unfortunate death.

So I find the assertion that Linus would be the only string to LTT's bow to be mostly unfounded conjecture. And if that notion is still that much of an uncertainty in LMG's leadership then not doing something about this possibility is literally the worst mistake they could be making on an executive level and would basically indicate supreme incompetence of their leadership. Now given the fact that they are actively implementing countermeasures to focus on people other than Linus, I can only conclude that it's a bullshit excuse and not borne out of some valid concern. LMG leadership can either admit to being shit at their job in securing a future for the company or they can admit that they aren't and that Linus' death is just a weak excuse to not offer a warranty. But they can't claim both to be false.

Never mind that not having a solid warranty policy in place shouldn't be the customer's problem. Why should I care as someone buying something from LTT if my eventual warranty claim could put a strain on the company a few years down the line if Linus were to pass away? I'd expect any reasonable company offering a warranty to calculate that eventuality into the pricing of their product at the time of sale. And if LMG really were to go out of business in that instance, they'd obviously file for bankruptcy, which would end their commitment to any warranty either way.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

37 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

So I find the assertion that Linus would be the only string to LTT's bow to be mostly unfounded

He is but not in the way you think. If he were to pass away, it would be in everyone’s immediate best interest to resign and reform into a new company.

If they were to keep working there, most of the profits would continue to go to his family even though his value proposition (his presence) would be gone. If they all regrouped it would instead go to the employees.

This is what happens to almost all small businesses when the owner passes. Employees quickly realize that the beneficiary is raking in all the money from their work without providing the same value/knowledge/presence that their deceased spouse did.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

As usual it’s so what I say not as I do. Likes to mock others before doing exactly the same thing if not worse. No wonder he uses asking phones. 

13 minutes ago, Roswell said:

He is but not in the way you think. If he were to pass away, it would be in everyone’s immediate best interest to resign and reform into a new company.

If they were to keep working there, most of the profits would continue to go to his family even though his value proposition (his presence) would be gone. If they all regrouped it would instead go to the employees.

This is what happens to almost all small businesses when the owner passes. Employees quickly realize that the beneficiary is raking in all the money from their work without providing the same value/knowledge/presence that their deceased spouse did.

They would also be without a building and would be without equipment

15 minutes ago, Roswell said:

They could do that. But they'd first need the necessary capital to purchase all the infrastructure and equipment (cameras, workstations, sets) which isn't cheap and hope that all the necessary people at LMG who have been maintaining their connections to all the suppliers of the hardware their videos cover come over too or you're going to have to start at 0 again on that front, which would be an even bigger uphill climb than it already is. Not to mention they'd have convince the entire audience to follow them, since that's their real product, if they still intend to be a video production company focusing on YouTube as their distribution platform.

Never mind that any new business venture they'd be building up on their own would have to be a leaner enterprise at the start (meaning lower pay) than if they'd just continue the same thing they're already doing in an established corporation with an audience and a guaranteed paycheck at the end of the month. That's also part of the value proposition, not just Linus himself.

Those are a lot of risks for not a lot of reward. I'm all for workers seizing the means of production, but I'd wager if Linus' passing were to trigger a mass exodus, it wouldn't lead to diet-LTT (now with 100% less dropping stuff). They'd just seek employment somewhere else where their talents are needed.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

2 hours ago, Wireless G-Spot said:

I agree, his company is very good about exchanging or replacing items.  That doesn't change the fact his excuse was stupid.  Linus could have stopped at "It's company policy to just handle any issues regarding items from our store."  With the implication "handle" means we'll take care of our customers.  But no, he kept talking and said something completely nonsensical.

I get what he means but at the same time I think its unacceptable to not provide any sort of warranty on things like an $80 screwdriver or a $200+ backpack.

As for the WAN show I stopped watching that after it was clearly turning into Linus going on rants and talking about his merch business, I miss when it was just a chill tech news discussion.

1 hour ago, Dazza477 said:

My post on Reddit explains it further. When reading the comments, the community seems split. I'd like them to address this, because of how famously pro-consumer Linus is. Not providing legal protection and saying 'trust me bro, we got you', is not enough. Remember in Linus's word, LMG is not your friend. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/wij6n8/linuss_take_on_backpack_warranty_is_anticonsumer/

I agree and I think more people need to realize LMG isn't your friend and is a company with the goal to get your to watch their all of their content, even the clickbait and video ads for sponsored products, and to sell you merch. Also Linus seems to be pro-consumer in his videos, but he doesn't seem to have any problem being anti-consumer while charging $200 for a backpack with no warranty, or claiming a sticker is "free" while adding another $6 in shipping to add it to the cart.

It reminds me of the whole "adblock is piracy" mess which Linus advocated for the use of an adblock as a security measure, yet when it comes to his business he insisted his viewers are pirates for not disabling an adblocker for his videos.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

It reminds me of the whole "adblock is piracy" mess which Linus advocated for the use of an adblock as a security measure, yet when it comes to his business he insisted his viewers are pirates for not disabling an adblocker for his videos.

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

Surprised it took this long before somebody dug up the skeletal remains of this horse to beat on again, actually.

Everyone here who knows how pirates something, why insist on pretending to be offended at being called pirates? Because they thought Linus was their friend, I guess. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I see a lot of people bent out of shape over this. Here's the deal there are many products that have warranties but companies always find a way to screw the customer. Either this warranties cover very little or they will blame the user for the malfunction of the product to weasel their way out of it. So a warranty would only be a good as the company who provides it. So in my opinion is about how good the product is, rather than the terms of the warranty. 

The other thing and maybe some of our neighbors to the north might be able to comment. What is Canada's policy on warranty? Whats the law? Because LMG is only required to do up to what the law requires. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It seems that Linus doesn't like to give promise when he may not be able to keep. I believe he's concerned that when he's not around anymore, the company won't be able to sustain much form of law-backed warranty. I understand both his points and the critics here. Critics here would want to have a peace of mind that the expensive backpack would be warrantied for a certain period of time at least. But to label him as anti-consumer is being silly - defective merch are still eligible for refund/replacement or at least until end of life of item. Basically ann unofficially not-backed-by-law warranty. 

But end of the day, haters are gonna hate. This thread is like a hater magnet, gathering them all into this thread to build on each other's distest for Linus 🤣

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Surprised it took this long before somebody dug up the skeletal remains of this horse to beat on again, actually.

Everyone here who knows how pirates something, why insist on pretending to be offended at being called pirates? Because they thought Linus was their friend, I guess.

And i'm surprised people are still defending Linus over that shit take, everyone that knows what pirating is isn't making the false equivalence of the use of an ad blocker to torrenting a movie.

No company is my friend, which is why I have no issue with criticizing Linus for being anti-consumer.

I very rarely even watch the content so this thread is how I've even heard of Linus stirring up even more controversy, and this is probably on purpose like most drama he starts, it gets peoples attention and probably sells more merch too.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And i'm surprised people are still defending Linus over that shit take, everyone that knows what pirating is  isn't making the false equivalence of the use of an ad blocker to torrenting a movie.

But you do torrent movies. You are a pirate. Why does it matter whether this one particular other thing you do is or isn't piracy?

45 minutes ago, crazzp said:

It seems that Linus doesn't like to give promise when he may not be able to keep. I believe he's concerned that when he's not around anymore, the company won't be able to sustain much form of law-backed warranty. I understand both his points and the critics here. Critics here would want to have a peace of mind that the expensive backpack would be warrantied for a certain period of time at least. But to label him as anti-consumer is being silly - defective merch are still eligible for refund/replacement or at least until end of life of item. Basically ann unofficially not-backed-by-law warranty. 

But end of the day, haters are gonna hate. This thread is like a hater magnet, gathering them all into this thread to build on each other's distest for Linus 🤣

The concern of him not being around with no one to take over the company seems like some unsubstantiated excuse, I don't see why his team of well talented employees or his family would say no to a very profitable company, unless LMG has no plan for a future which seems like a rather poor excuse as well.  IMO a consumer shouldn't have to go on social media and beg at a company for customer service, and as a consumer a company not wanting to provide any sport of warranty seems in bad taste as if the company isn't confident in their product or doesn't care about the consumer enough to offer support in case of a broken or defective product.

And yeah this really reminds me of the take over adblocking, if you weren't defending Linus over it you were a "hater" lol.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The concern of him not being around with no one to take over the company seems like some unsubstantiated excuse

Who the fuck do you think the L in LTT stands for? Whether you, I, or Linus, likes it or not, he is the face of LTT. Videos without him get less views, it's easy to see just looking through their catalog. If Linus were to die, LMG would putter along for a while before someone gave up and threw in the towel.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The concern of him not being around with no one to take over the company seems like some unsubstantiated excuse, I don't see why his team of well talented employees or his family would say no to a very profitable company, unless LMG has no plan for a future which seems like a rather poor excuse as well. 

The company dies with Linus and anybody who thinks differently is kidding themselves. Any "plan for the future" they might make which imagines some other scenario would be them kidding themselves. Some of the LMG "on-air" personalities may go create content on other channels, but LMG would be done. 

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And yeah this really reminds me of the take over adblocking, if you weren't defending Linus over it you were a "hater" lol.

If you use every random thing someone criticizes Linus over as an excuse to go "Hey remember this other thing people were mad at Linus about before that has no relevance to the current topic," don't be surprised if you're seen as a hater. 

Let's be honest, there are plenty of shady warranty companies out there. I don't believe he would put out a product that would risk having a super high percentage of warranty claims, anyway. 

Lot of people in here on a moral high ground by saying this is "anti-consumer." Impressive how some can read the situation so poorly.