You don't get a warrantee because Linus might die at an inconvenient time

Wireless G-Spot
9 hours ago, Arika S said:

Just watched the segment on the WAN show, and there is a weird disconnect between the two hosts

Luke: comments about how Linus communicated poorly and how he understands the negative side of the comments, keeps jumping in at the weird comments from Linus

Linus: full defensive mode and trying to say viewers are wrong. there was some acknowledgement that he was wrong and not clear, but then flopped back to "but it's all trust anyway doesn't matter if it's a written warranty or not and that viewers should know how we work by now".

That's because for Linus this is about his principles, his believes, he wants the viewers to trust him, and I'm not talking about a 'trust me bro', but really trust who he is, what he stands for.

I really think that for him asking for official warranty, is insulting, I think it feels to him as an attack on his personality.

I get where he's coming from, but he needs to really start accepting that you can't be telling us about the massive amounts of products he sells, and also wants to operate on trust. Either stay in the amateur space, or become a professional. Yes how you go about customer care is still very different per company, regardless of warranty, but regardless he needs to be professional about it.

And that's where the difference is, Luke doesn't take it personally, I mean it's not aimed at him either, this is about people wanting more than Linus' word.

So @LinusTech if you happen to read this, you know that most people trust your word, and except for some people bandwagoning just to trash people, the majority of the people asking for warranty, also trust your word, because remember, people who don't trust you, would never ever buy your products, especially not the backpack, they buy it because they believe that this brand new product is what you claim to be. But that's not the same as people expecting you to be a professional about. It isn't about people wanting to see a business man on screen, having a lawyer go over your shit before you talk about it, no one wants that, and well if they do, they can just go watch someone else. It's about if people are gonna drop a lot of money, that they want that dude behind the counter, who can be funny, or cool to talk to, is also a professional and got shit covered.
It's just 1 of those shitty things you need to do, and it's not exciting, but it is professionalism.

You know, after they finally came around to offering a written warranty, I want to at least offer an olive branch of sorts. I'm very critical of Linus and over the years I have been very critical of content creators as a whole, especially those on the consumer advocacy side who fall into the same pitfalls they tell their audience to avoid. And while Linus' reaction was still marred by a general unwillingness to just be honest and instead attempting to downplay the situation by falling into the same fallacious argumentative trap as many people in this thread by claiming that warranties are basically written in water and therefore it shouldn't matter if they had one or not, I'll still come forward and say this:

It's nice that he's willing to have an open public dialogue. After that question got raised in the previous WAN show, he could've just said "That's an excellent point, I'll take this back to my management team for further deliberation" and left it at that. I doubt many people would've pressed the issue and LMG could've just dropped the notion immediately. It was more the foot-in-mouth justification that bothered me, and I assume a few other people as well. And maybe me pointing this out, that you don't have to have an immediate answer to everything and that "I'll think about it" is a perfectly valid answer will make its way into how Linus communicates these things in the future. It depends if he still continues to see this issue as not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things (which does seem to be somewhat the case) or if he takes it to heart that goodwill is nice, but, as Luke said, the old soviet proverb "Trust, but verify" will haunt him every step of the way.

Though on a final note, the "trust me bro" shirt is kinda cringe. Leaning into your mistakes is one thing. Trying to turn it into a profit just seems a bit desperate to save face.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

2 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Though on a final note, the "trust me bro" shirt is kinda cringe. Leaning into your mistakes is one thing. Trying to turn it into a profit just seems a bit desperate to save face.

Linus always does this, and it is always cringe.

The whole "adblocking is piracy" was another one of those things. 

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Linus always does this, and it is always cringe.

The whole "adblocking is piracy" was another one of those things. 

I see they are making a shirt. Im wondering if it was deliberate so they could sell merchandise? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The shirt feels like the company giving the finger to people who thought his response was inadequate.

You're not genuinely sorry and think you can do better if at the same time you're trying to make money by making light of how shitty your previous behaviour was.

Linus needs to hire a proper PR guy like, yesterday.

12 minutes ago, LumpyCrumpet said:

The shirt feels like the company giving the finger to people who thought his response was inadequate.

You're not genuinely sorry and think you can do better if at the same time you're trying to make money by making light of how shitty your previous behaviour was.

Linus needs to hire a proper PR guy like, yesterday.

He has nothing to be sorry about. He's done nothing wrong and the cry babies are getting their written warranty. Move on.

I'm happy with the way Linus responded to this and I think it's very much in line with what I said earlier. Yes, most of us do trust him and that he believes in his products, but at the same time "trust but verify" is a good policy and Linus himself has stated numerous times that this is the way it should be done.

And the T-Shirt bit is just exactly his type of humour, it's not like anyone has to buy it, but I do think it's kind of funny.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

3 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I'm not surprised he went and made another shirt, and yeah I agree it is cringy, as others mentioned he did it with the "ad blocking is piracy". Also doing it again with the warranty policy seems like he's putting the blame on everyone that asked for a warranty, and doesn't want to accept that he made a mistake. I think turning it into a profit is sort of a dick move, all he had to do is admit there should be a guaranteed warranty and move on.

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not surprised he went and made another shirt, and yeah I agree it is cringy, as others mentioned he did it with the "ad blocking is piracy". Also doing it again with the warranty policy seems like he's putting the blame on everyone that asked for a warranty, and doesn't want to accept that he made a mistake. I think turning it into a profit is sort of a dick move, all he had to do is admit there should be a guaranteed warranty and move on.

I saw a good comment about it on Reddit.

When Yvonne asks him to do the laundry, expect a t-shirt that says "plenty of clean t-shirts in the drawer".

Sadly, it seems like his fanbase is eating it up. It's almost as if people like being shat on.

Maybe other companies should also make "meme" shirts where they mock customer complaints. It seems like it working for LMG.

Anyone got any suggestions on which t-shirts companies should make?

EA Games printing a shirt with "cry less, buy more loot boxes".

Nvidia with a shirt saying "if you stopped wasting time on games and mined, maybe you could afford a GPU too".

I honestly feel like Linus is gaslighting his viewers.

"lol, look everyone, warranties are a joke and we should laugh at this. Please don't think about this situation more or what I tried to do to you. Let's just laugh at it haha, and buy our merch".

On 8/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, Imbadatnames said:

LMG isn’t a startup, they’re a company that bring in tens of millions a year. Just because they’ve moved into a different sector doesn’t make them a startup. They could easily cover a warranty on the backpacks and still be well in the black on just the merch arm. 

Warranties don’t cover wear and tear dude.

LMG absolutely is a startup and a small business.

Or do you really think a few million in turnover is massive for a company?

10 minutes ago, Tams said:

LMG absolutely is a startup and a small business.

Or do you really think a few million in turnover is massive for a company?

Keep in mind LMG has about 70 employees and multiple commercial properties they operate out of... I don't know what Canada's definition is for small/medium/large businesses or if revenue is a factor, but I wouldn't consider LMG to be a small company at this point. In Australia LMG would be considered a medium business (20-199 employees).

Edit: I just checked and (according to Prof. Google) in Canada medium business is 100-499 employees, so they would be considered a small business in Canada.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 8/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, Arika S said:

Just watched the segment on the WAN show, and there is a weird disconnect between the two hosts

Luke: comments about how Linus communicated poorly and how he understands the negative side of the comments, keeps jumping in at the weird comments from Linus

Linus: full defensive mode and trying to say viewers are wrong. there was some acknowledgement that he was wrong and not clear, but then flopped back to "but it's all trust anyway doesn't matter if it's a written warranty or not and that viewers should know how we work by now".

Many people don't like it, but they are wrong about warranties though.

1. Warranties aren't required by law.

2. Support and reasonable expectation of how long a product should last are enshrined in law in pretty much every country.

3. If a company/individual doesn't obey the law, then they can be taken to court.

4. Warranties, among other documentation, may be used in court if a company does not obey consumer rights law.  They may be used by a court to help determine what 'reasonable use' is.

5. LMG seem to exceed what Canadian law requires.

6. As Creative Warehouse are selling physical goods in Canada, only Canadian law applies.  If they had a presence elsewhere, they would be under that places law.  Floatplane is online, so is considered crossborder and therefore other countries' laws do apply.

People have been incredibly immature and ignorant over this.  Look up your local legislation for locally bought physical goods, or for the country you bought something physical from if bought overseas.  As for digital goods... you may be out of pocket if they don't have a local presence (as you can't take an entity to court if they don't exist) - so try to buy from companies that have offices in several countries.

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Keep in mind LMG has about 70 employees and multiple commercial properties they operate out of... I don't know what Canada's definition is for small/medium/large businesses or if revenue is a factor, but I wouldn't consider LMG to be a small company at this point. In Australia LMG would be considered a medium business (20-199 employees).

Edit: I just checked and (according to Prof. Google) in Canada medium business is 100-499 employees, so they would be considered a small business in Canada.

So... I'm right.

And it doesn't matter what type of company LMG is in Australia or Timbuktu (yes, I know it's a city, not a country).  LMG have no presence outside of Canada, so all that applies to them is Canadian law.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:49 PM, Pickles von Brine said:

He has a pretty good point though. Rather forward thinking in regards to his family and kids. 

No, no he does not. 

What he is really saying is, we're not confident enough in this product to provide a binding warranty, and instead just trust that I'll sort it without actively committing to it - not providing any warranty is in many countries not an option to begin with by law. But my view has increasingly become that has Linus has become more and more successful, there is an arrogance kicking in and a slow slide into what I've seen with many other people as they get more successful.

I've noticed Linus bragging about money in recent times, quite actively, and even now they're pushing a "trust me bro" t-shirt. It might seem funny on the outside, but actually it's communicating a high level of arrogance.

Not a good look, and I certainly won't be trying the backpack out on principle now - and I am in the market for a new one having had my very trusty, long lasting Samsonite that has never let me down but was far from cheap, finally start to give in.

(And before someone tells me, yes I'm aware there is now supposedly some warranty - I've not seen the details yet, but that's only the case clearly because sales slowed and they got a lot of bad reaction. You don't get a prize for doing what companies do when they're caught out. It's a bigger deal here because Linus spends so much time chastising companies for not doing the right thing!)

23 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The word you're really looking for is arrogant - not cringy. I've just posted about this but you're absolutely spot on that producing a t-shirt makes it even worse.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, LIGISTX said:

AND they got to feel it with their own two hands and see it in personal before purchase. No one forced them to buy the bag once they saw it in person. Everyone else online has to order sight unseen. The people there had the lowest price and best experience of all of us. 

The flaw with this and any other review is that a review is almost always made very early on - and the issue is what happens once you've had it a while. If you're buying based on reviews from early adopters as a sign of longevity I feel you've likely totally misunderstood how reviews normally work. It's quite rare someone reviews with the benefit of hindsight sometime later...

4 minutes ago, mr_vpw said:

not providing any warranty is in many countries not an option to begin with by law

Let me blow your mind. Many companies will only honor a warranty in the country the product was purchased. Buy a product in the US and decide to take it back to the UK, you may no longer be able to invoke the warranty. I know this is somewhat common on electronics. The only thing LMG has to do is comply with the laws of Canada. No other country can really force LMG to comply with their laws, all they can do is ban the imports of their products. 

While I understand a warranty is suppose to be like a safely net, warranties are not full proof. How much money do you think its going to cost people to ship stuff back to LMG for warranty service? I can tell you from personal experience that some companies don't provide free shipping or if they do it might only be one way, meaning you have to pay to ship it to the company for service and they will ship it back for free. So if its going to cost a lot of ship it back then the warranty could very well be useless. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Let me blow your mind. Many companies will only honor a warranty in the country the product was purchased. Buy a product in the US and decide to take it back to the UK, you may no longer be able to invoke the warranty. I know this is somewhat common on electronics. The only thing LMG has to do is comply with the laws of Canada. No other country can really force LMG to comply with their laws, all they can do is ban the imports of their products. 

While I understand a warranty is suppose to be like a safely net, warranties are not full proof. How much money do you think its going to cost people to ship stuff back to LMG for warranty service? I can tell you from personal experience that some companies don't provide free shipping or if they do it might only be one way, meaning you have to pay to ship it to the company for service and they will ship it back for free. So if its going to cost a lot of ship it back then the warranty could very well be useless. 

You're not going to blow my mind. I very clearly worded it "some countries" - I'm well aware of the limitations that can apply. You may also be blown that plenty of companies offer global warranties though. The point is *NOT* whether it would be expensive to send something to LMG to have it repaired/replaced (because LMG could for example, as other companies do ask for some photos, make a judgement that it can't be repaired and simply ship you a new one) so your theoretical problem doesn't exist, but equally, it doesn't cost $249 USD to ship an RMA back to Canada from say, the UK. If you're paying that much you've really screwed up. 

This is not about the technicalities of how much it cost, it is about LMG being an organisation that regularly slams companies for poor policies, and has made a poor policy decision it is now backpedaling from (and trying to cash in on by mocking people with the trust me bro thing), and LMG is merely being held to the same expectation of its products as it does of those it slams. LMG made a choice to get into the physical goods arena and now it will find it has to play by the expectations to be successful long term. A reputation can rapidly be damaged. 

1 hour ago, mr_vpw said:

The flaw with this and any other review is that a review is almost always made very early on - and the issue is what happens once you've had it a while. If you're buying based on reviews from early adopters as a sign of longevity I feel you've likely totally misunderstood how reviews normally work. It's quite rare someone reviews with the benefit of hindsight sometime later...

Agreed. If your worried, wait for long term reviews. That comment was specific to a previous argument saying there are still no reviews. There are reviews… Weather you want to give them credence is up to you. But the factual truth is, there are reviews. That’s all the point I was making. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 8/8/2022 at 2:23 PM, LAwLz said:

At the end of the day, pretty much all LTT merch is overpriced and in my opinion should not be bought. I mean, just look at their website.

15 dollar cable ties.

50 dollar sweatpants.

10 dollar lanyards.

70 dollar screwdrivers.

70-90 dollar hoodies.

30 dollar water bottles.

250 dollar backpacks.

The list goes on.

lmao yep.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, LAwLz said:

I feel like Linus is gaslighting his viewers.

"lol, look everyone, warranties are a joke and we should laugh at this. Please don't think about this situation more or what I tried to do to you. Let's just laugh at it haha, and buy our merch".

You finally get it. Warranties are a joke! A good company with good intentions will fix issues with their products within a reasonable timeframe regardless of a warranty. Warranties are nothing more than a marketing campaign. Most written by lawyers with so many complexities they can deny your claim for any reason if they want. They are a joke. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have interest in buying one of these bags.  I want something reliable, and I want to know that if something happens, I can actually have something done about it.  A half arsed "Yeah sure" on a podcast isn't a policy, and making a meme shirt to mock people who legit might have issues with a product, maybe not even the backpack, is a joke.  _I_ think we need a business insider on LTTStore ATP, because while ya'll do good reviews and invest in shit, show us where money is invested, how the business is built over a long period of time, its what I watch you guys for, its no garuntee of anything.  Its just part of the gig atp.

Yall should know this

Just...  Just please for the love of god don't Itanium your backpack just because you're ahead and feeling cocky.  I don't want to buy from your store if this is what its gunna be like, its like getting ripped off by an etsy vendor, except you can ask this etsy vendor for pictures of every single part of the manufacturing process, and even still if theres a problem, theres no garuntee that anything will happen.

Bruh

7 minutes ago, XZDX said:

I want something reliable, and I want to know that if something happens, I can actually have something done about it.  A half arsed "Yeah sure" on a podcast isn't a policy, and making a meme shirt to mock people who legit might have issues with a product, maybe not even the backpack, is a joke. 

There is an official warranty.

1288044849_ScreenShot2022-08-25at2_39_32pm.png.e538d0142ae3d2db3ad6faa4088da70e.png

If something happens to the backpack and its covered under the warranty then contact support and something will be done. If something happens and it isn't covered under warranty then contact support and they may help you out anyway.