You don't get a warrantee because Linus might die at an inconvenient time

Wireless G-Spot
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

But, if you view these things as donations to LMG, and you get a little gift for your donation, then I think this is fair.

Exactly. I look at lttstoredotcom like the public media pledge drive sales, where tote bags cost $30 and DVD box sets are over $100, but you're half buying something and half donating to support the content you watch. I don't see anything wrong with their pricing, especially given the quality of their products. (They're not just silkscreening Linus's face on some AliExpress garbage and selling it at a premium.)

That said, there should be some kind of reassurance for big-ticket items like the backpack and screwdriver besides the 30 day return policy and a "we gotcha, bro!". Does calling it "a warranty" open up a can of logistic and legal worms in Canada? Even if it's as open for interpretation as L. L. Bean's return policy?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

45 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

At the end of the day, pretty much all LTT merch is overpriced and in my opinion should not be bought.

It’s all high quality tho. For the quality of goods provided, these prices are not high. The backpack is actually extremely aggressively priced, their shirts are a good value for their quality along with the other cloths they offer, and a 70 dollar screwdriver is in line with a high quality tool. Their stuff isn’t cheap, but it is quality. Think iPhone vs low tier android. Apple products do cost more, but they are engineered to a higher degree in most cases. That extra engineering for aesthetics or function doesn’t always equate to people wanting to pay the premium price which is why apple gets a bad wrap, but engineering costs are not cheap and are reflected in the price of goods - much like their 70 dollar screwdriver. 

Their screwdriver benchmark was snapon…. A 70 dollar screwdriver is a bargain comparatively. Same with backpack, my peak design 20L was 250 bucks ~4-5 years ago. I’m sure the price hasn’t gone down with inflation and world events. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

--> Moved to the LTT Merch subforum.

I'm surprised that Canada does not have a minimum warranty required for goods. From what I can see it's up to the provinces to set their own laws regarding warranties, and it seems that BC doesn't have a minimum warranty period. The British Columbia Sales of Goods Act does state that it is implied that goods should last a "reasonable period of time", but there's no requirement to offer a warranty and sellers can sell things "as is" without any warranty. To enforce warranty claims and to argue what is a "reasonable period of time" you have to go through small claims court 🤦‍♂️

(c) there is an implied condition that the goods will be durable for a reasonable period of time having regard to the use to which they would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances of the sale or lease;

https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96410_01#section18

Implied warranties are covered under provincial/territorial sales laws.  The wording of such laws are somewhat different from one province/territory to the next; however generally, they state that products must be fit for the purposes for which they are sold.  Keep in mind that the application of such warranties is subject to legal interpretation, and to enforce your rights under such warranties you might have to go to  court.  Therefore, think twice about any product being sold “as is”, unless it’s such a good buy that you’re willing to take the risk that it doesn’t work properly and that getting redress may be difficult or costly.

https://www.consumerhandbook.ca/en/topics/products-and-services/warranties/

Pretty surprising they don't have to offer any type of warranty and if something goes wrong it is up to the customer to either hope that the company makes it right or else take them to small claims court to argue it. Australia has some pretty tight consumer regulations and there is a statutory warranty on goods that the seller must honour and can even cover the item after the manufacturer's advertised warranty has expired.

Choosing not to offer a warranty because the CEO of the company might die one day is a ridiculous excuse. If Linus dies and LMG dissolves LMG obviously won't have to honour any warranty. If Linus dies and LMG continues to operate then there's no reason not to honour the warranty.
For a $250 USD backpack I would expect at least a few years warranty. I don't see why they don't offer a 2 or 3 year warranty and then if they want to later extend the warranty they can or continue to offer support after the warranty expires.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

It’s all high quality tho. For the quality of goods provided, these prices are not high. The backpack is actually extremely aggressively priced, their shirts are a good value for their quality along with the other cloths they offer, and a 70 dollar screwdriver is in line with a high quality tool. Their stuff isn’t cheap, but it is quality. Think iPhone vs low tier android. Apple products do cost more, but they are engineered to a higher degree in most cases. That extra engineering for aesthetics or function doesn’t always equate to people wanting to pay the premium price which is why apple gets a bad wrap, but engineering costs are not cheap and are reflected in the price of goods - much like their 70 dollar screwdriver. 

Their screwdriver benchmark was snapon…. A 70 dollar screwdriver is a bargain comparatively. Same with backpack, my peak design 20L was 250 bucks ~4-5 years ago. I’m sure the price hasn’t gone down with inflation and world events. 

I think you are making two big assumptions in this post that I disagree with.

1) That if there exists other products that are equally expensive, then the product is "competitive".

2) That people should buy these super high end products.

Just because Snap-On sells screwdrivers for over 100 dollars does not mean a 70 dollar screwdriver is a "bargain".

Just because the LTT screwdriver is a "bargain" compared to a Snap-On does not mean people should be spending 70 dollars on a screwdriver.

Also, a lot of reasons why brands like Snap-On can sell extremely expensive screwdrivers is because of their reputation. Snap-On is a company that has existed for over 100 years and offers things like lifetime warranties. The reason why they are able to sell products at such high prices is because the reputation, track record and warranties. None of those things applies to the LTT screwdriver or backpack because they have no track record with making these things, and they refuse to offer any warranty. 

My 10 dollar screwdriver has served me very well for 6 years now, and I suspect I will keep using it for several more years. It also came with a 2 year warranty. I have used it countless of times, both easy stuff like building computers, as well as more heavy study stuff like racking servers and light work on cars and boats. 

The people who should buy screwdrivers for 70 dollars are a very small niche. And that niche won't be asking me for advice because they already know what they need, and they will probably get those things from their employer so they don't pay for it themselves anyway. That's why I can confidently say that I will not recommend LTT merch to anyway, unless they specifically say they want to buy it as a way to donate to Linus.

I don't think it is fair to compare luxury brands (like Peak Design) or well established brands (like Snap-On) which both offers excellent warranties (both offer lifetime warranties) to Youtuber merch that has zero track record and whose warranty is literally "trust me bro". Especially not when LTT's customer service track record is quite awful. Remember when we used to have like 2 threads a week about how people couldn't get it touch with their customer support? People with mouldy pillows had to wait weeks or months to even get a first response.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Edit:

The thing I always find the most entertaining whenever Linus ends up in a controversy is that he always doubles down.

I can't believe he actually wrote that "warranty period means nothing" and that "it doesn't actually make a difference if we have a formal warranty policy". If it doesn't matter, why not just write one and appease the angry people? 

Reveal hidden contents

9ejv9qzslgg91.thumb.jpg.734abbaba49472d0cab6dbbe6fce0534.jpg

The tweet seems to have been deleted in the mean time? Classic I guess Aah it's a reply. Was looking for "main" tweets. I see no reason for not being able to give even a limited warranty. If warranties didn't matter the EU wouldn't make it a customer's right to have 2 years at minimum (which also doesn't care about it being a limited run or not AFAIK). This borderlines "suspiciously specific" examples. Is LTT heading for a financial abyss they don't see themselves recovering from with certainty after all their wild spending and purposefully trying to avoid any legal responsibility? It might not matter for the speed at which they'll be able to handle things, but in my eyes it certainly matters in having some leverage for actually getting it handled.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Exactly. lttstoredotcom is like the public media pledge drive sales, where tote bags cost $30 and DVD box sets are over $100, but you're half paying for the item and half donating to support the content you watch. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially given the quality of their products. (They're not just silkscreening Linus's face on some AliExpress garbage and selling it at a premium.)

That said, there should be some kind of reassurance for big-ticket items like the backpack and screwdriver besides the 30 day return policy and a "we gotcha, bro!". Does calling it "a warranty" open up a can of logistic and legal worms in Canada? Even if it's as open for interpretation as L. L. Bean's return policy?

I'm totally willing to believe the quality of their merch is there if people say so, but I do find it strange that they are unwilling to make it "official". They seem so confident about and focussed on their quality and make it such a selling point (is my impression) that I don't understand why they don't want to do the one thing that puts weight behind those statements: codifying that confidence in a (legally binding) warranty. That does raise suspicion that quality might not be as up there as is being claimed, even if that is just unfounded rumours.

To stretch it a bit: how often have we been warned to not trust things we see on e.g. kickstarter since you have no idea how it will play out? that companies are not our friends? Why should I trust LTT's word, in the end a company like all others, over the others?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

The tweet seems to have been deleted in the mean time?

Tweet is still up: 

58 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

1) That if there exists other products that are equally expensive, then the product is "competitive".

2) That people should buy these super high end products.

1) your argument is inherently flawed. There backpack is a bargain compared to other high end backpacks or day bags. That makes it a bargain for the quality of item your getting. Cheap and competitive can be mutually exclusive. It isn’t cheap…. But we are not comparing this to a 50 dollar Jansport or a 20 dollar random bag. 

2) you are 100% correct. If people can’t afford the product, they should not buy it. Is a 250 dollar backpack seems not worth it to you, it is not for you, and that’s perfectly fine. They are high end, not everyone in the world is going to be able to afford or want to afford high end gear. It’s like a rtx 3090….. most people probably can’t afford them, doesn’t mean they were not sold out for the better part of 2 years - likely being bought by a lot of people who prooooobably can’t actually afford them.

Just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be purchased. Some people don’t mind paying a premium for higher quality items. My peak design 20L was not cheap, and I don’t regret that purchase at all. It has served me very well, and has paid for itself multiple times over as it doubled as my carry on for work and personal trips.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Also, a lot of reasons why brands like Snap-On can sell extremely expensive screwdrivers is because of their reputation.

I did forget to address this. That is true, and a lot of the cost in snapon is so if you have a broken tool, when the snapon truck comes by within the next week, the driver will swap out your broken tool for a new one, no questions ask. Obviously that is huge for mechanics, and that is why their products are so expensive. So that is totally fair, and a valid point. 

But, designing quality tools isn’t cheap, and by all accounts this will be a quality tool. I will be buying one as I value quality tools. I typically buy from tekton as they do have a great warranty and stand behind their products, but I do believe LMG to stand behind their products as well - I have only had good experiences with their support folks.

But, again, if a 70 dollar screwdriver is not a totally non-significant amount of money to someone, they probably shouldn’t buy a 70 dollar screwdriver. If that price is relatively meaningless, and they enjoy quality products, sure… why not. Same with the bag, 250 bucks is on the low end for high quality backpacks, and their shirts…. Their shirts are the best fitting and most comfortable I own, and they are very well priced at least for me here in Southern California. 

1 hour ago, ouchie said:

Tweet is still up: 

Ooh it's a reply. I was looking for a tweet on its own. Thanks.

So as usual there is more to it, but I don't see the justification yet:

Spoiler

image.png.63611f2c56703bee56fb5dfc3605c227.png

• "Underpromise and overdeliver definitely works" - I'm not sure if the backpack has been underpromised, but by actively not offering a warranty this is leans towards underdelivering in my opinion as it doesn't entirely rhyme with the premise of quality and longevity.
  • Folding the company: unlikely to happen over a backpack return unless it bankrupts them.
  • "Whatever we do or don't come out with, our internal policies will be unchanged" - so this is what the "it doesn't make a difference" was aimed at I guess. Personally I wouldn't think a warranty results in different internal policy, no. If you'll act the same, however, then why not give the customer their peace of mind by offering the warranty to back up the quality that is said to be good?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

which in itself ignores the fact that any warranty is already more legally binding than a "dude, trust me"

From my point of view, pretty much this.

Warranty (whether or not country or area has any warranty period written in laws) is the expected minimum lifetime of the product provided by the manufacturer. If it goes to that in court consumer, as well as the manufacturer, can point to the warranty and the part of expected lifetime of the product is solved and they can move on to find out whether or not the product has a flaw or not and who should take the blame.

Warranty is also kind of a way for a company to say that they aren't perfect and whatever problems their product may have, most likely come out within that timeframe and consumer can rest easy that they will be fixed or compensated if and when those problems arise.

Without warranty Linus is basicly saying their manufacturer, design, quality control and everything is perfect to the point and there is not a single faulty backpack ever. Or their backpack is so rubbish and expected to come apart and biodegrade within the next day it has been taken out of the plastics and if we take LTTstore to the court because of that, without warranty Linus can go and say "oh, but we expected the backpack to breakup within 24 hours, you just paid for the luxury to owning one for that limited time" and we are looking at a long courtcase to get that figured out.

Also that "trust us, bro" goes only if we really can trust someone and is Linus THAT trustworthy? What has he done that we should without question trust his word that as long as he is the CEO of the LMG the company will do what is right? And who's "right" we are even talking about? Right for the customer or right for the bank balance of the LMG?

Also as he said in that tweet that he could just as well get rid of warranty promises by bringing LMG down the moment last backpack leaves the warehouse, should we spend $250 for a backpack made by a company which CEO could be ready to crash and burn his company just to get away from warranty promises? Like seriously, that is some really diabolical stuff to say publicly. Like yeah, Linus could get away from the warranty promises that way but would he be ready sacrifice LMG just because warranty promises? Is there something we should know before doing this investment?

Linus dying the next day and no one taking the company and it falling down because of that is realistic situation but that is quite a far fetched thing to be first thing to be worried about. That is also something that would be force majeure to which no one could do anything. More likely things would be LMG running out of money, YouTubr crashing and destroying the biggest income of the LMG, finding out that every backpack comes with a little surprise of a used contraception device or  LMG server just dies and their whole customer and order database goes with it and even the backups burn at the same time. But like "if I die tomorrow and my wife couldn't work anymore because everything reminds her of me and our kids are so small and my heritage for them would be 9000 backpacks with 2 years of warranty that they and all our employees would need to carry to their graves and try to fix with their own hands" like seriously, What?

2 hours ago, ouchie said:

Tweet is still up: 

Then why not do both? If a formal warranty doesn't actually make a difference - why not just include it as a formality?

People feel like they aren't being told WHY it isn't being included, if, according to Linus, it doesn't make a difference and the end result is the same. If that were true, you would just include it anyway, especially when pressed about it. But because it's completely off the table, there must be some "Cost" attached to it that is potentially more expensive than the honor system he's currently saying is the policy. 

EDIT: 

1 hour ago, lowstrife said:

Then why not do both? If a formal warranty doesn't actually make a difference - why not just include it as a formality?

People feel like they aren't being told WHY it isn't being included, if, according to Linus, it doesn't make a difference and the end result is the same. If that were true, you would just include it anyway, especially when pressed about it. But because it's completely off the table, there must be some "Cost" attached to it that is potentially more expensive than the honor system he's currently saying is the policy. 

EDIT: 

He’s called out other companies for less. Overall for the price they’re charging I expect a minimum 10 year warranty. 

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

1) your argument is inherently flawed. There backpack is a bargain compared to other high end backpacks or day bags. That makes it a bargain for the quality of item your getting.

You literally have no idea as to the quality of the backpack, because you don't have one, there are no independent reviews and in fact the only information out there about it comes from the seller.

This, along with the screwdriver, is a category of product that LTTStore has exactly zero experience in. You cannot assume that it's automatically good because you have no basis for that opinion other than "I trust Linus".

18 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

He’s called out other companies for less. Overall for the price they’re charging I expect a minimum 10 year warranty. 

My £40 Targus backpack I bought in 2018 on a whim has a worldwide lifetime warranty... damn straight for a $250 backpack (more here since I'd have to pay shipping and tax) I'd expect a little bit more than "just trust me bro, I'm Linus".

I have, and like, a bit of LTTStore.com stuff. But frankly I'm not fussed if a cushion has a manufacturing defect, or a T-shirt. A bag that's expected to carry all myu stuff and cost me something like £300 total, or a screwdriver that approaches the price of established competition like Snap-On... yeah I care about that.

4 minutes ago, LumpyCrumpet said:

My £40 Targus backpack I bought in 2018 on a whim has a worldwide lifetime warranty... damn straight for a $250 backpack (more here since I'd have to pay shipping and tax) I'd expect a little bit more than "just trust me bro, I'm Linus".

I have, and like, a bit of LTTStore.com stuff. But frankly I'm not fussed if a cushion has a manufacturing defect, or a T-shirt. A bag that's expected to carry all myu stuff and cost me something like £300 total, or a screwdriver that approaches the price of established competition like Snap-On... yeah I care about that.

The screwdriver is a bit weird, wera models cost less than what they charge 

6 minutes ago, LumpyCrumpet said:

You literally have no idea as to the quality of the backpack, because you don't have one, there are no independent reviews and in fact the only information out there about it comes from the seller.

This, along with the screwdriver, is a category of product that LTTStore has exactly zero experience in. You cannot assume that it's automatically good because you have no basis for that opinion other than "I trust Linus".

There are reviews from the folks who have purchased them and have been using them. Remember, this is a backorder not a preorder… so that is factually incorrect. There are not MANY reviews, but there are reviews. And they are overwhelmingly positive thus far. 

They do have no experience, but the people go actually make the products do have experience. Linus didn’t go hire seamstresses to sow the bag, or invest in an injection molding shop to make screwdriver, they found reputable companies that are good at those things, paid them money, and received goods, then listed them for sale to us the consumers. So, while a warranty IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO, I do trust the LMG name to do right by it’s end users, because without us the company will fold - LMG is aware of that. Their company is built on consumer trust.

Also, their shirts have been great quality for me; I have many of them. And the issues I have had the support group has dealt with well. 

Am I taking a chance on a 70 dollar screwdriver? I suppose so… but seeing the level of work they have put into it, I am not exactly worried. They are way more transparent than any other tool manufacturer I spend way more money on. Granted, those tools do all have warranties, but I have a feeling screwdriver will have a warrant as well (although I will buy one regardless). 

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

There are reviews from the folks who have purchased them and have been using them. Remember, this is a backorder not a preorder… so that is factually incorrect. There are not MANY reviews, but there are reviews. And they are overwhelmingly positive thus far. 

They do have no experience, but the people go actually make the products do have experience. Linus didn’t go hire seamstresses to sow the bag, or invest in an injection molding shop to make screwdriver, they found reputable companies that are good at those things, paid them money, and received goods, then listed them for sale to us the consumers. So, while a warranty IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO, I do trust the LMG name to do right by it’s end users, because without us the company will fold - LMG is aware of that. Their company is built on consumer trust.

Also, their shirts have been great quality for me; I have many of them. And the issues I have had the support group has dealt with well. 

Am I taking a chance on a 70 dollar screwdriver? I suppose so… but seeing the level of work they have put into it, I am not exactly worried. They are way more transparent than any other tool manufacturer I spend way more money on. Granted, those tools do all have warranties, but I have a feeling screwdriver will have a warrant as well (although I will buy one regardless). 

The issue with reviews are they’ve been bought by fanboys and they’ve paid an extortionate price for them. The reviews were always going to be positive as long as it had a zip and 2 straps. 

I can guarantee it is not up to the standard of others models in the same price category which also include a lifetime warranty. 

3 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

The issue with reviews are they’ve been bought by fanboys and they’ve paid an extortionate price for them. The reviews were always going to be positive as long as it had a zip and 2 straps. 

I can guarantee it is not up to the standard of others models in the same price category which also include a lifetime warranty. 

Those people still paid money for the items… and a good group of them seem to have a lot of experience with many bags. 

Again, if the price isn’t right for you, don’t buy it. There is nothing wrong with waiting for thousands of long term reviews before you make a purchase, but there is also nothing wrong with not waiting. Just because it doesn’t align with your mentality doesn’t mean it may not for someone else. I sent the video to a buddy who knows of LMG, but certainly isn’t a fanboy; if anything he gives linus shit for pretending to be an expert in things which he isn’t. But, my buddy watches the video, saw the attention to detail and everything they thought of…. And ordered one before the video was over. It fit his needs well, and 250 bucks is trivial money for quality goods.

It seems like a lot of people are hung up on the price. If 250 bucks is not trivial, this likely is not the correct item to purchase, even if it had a warranty, and even if it was a trusted backpack manufacturer. If you are the person who searches for quality products and want one that correctly meets your requirements and this product meets them, it’s a no brainer - exactly why my buddy bought one.

I suppose we shall see how this does compared to my peak design backpack, but just based on the video, I’m sure it will be up to the same standard. But, if you don’t believe that, then vote with your wallet and don’t buy it. If at some point a warranty is provided or enough reviews come in to satisfy your doubts, then maybe reconsider if the bag does align with your needs. There isn’t much else I can say about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

18 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

If anything, the early birds who bought at the pop-up shop paid less than the rest of us will because they didn't have to pay for shipping (only applicable sales tax).

At the same time, if they were dedicated enough to go to the pop-up shop, they're more likely to have a favorable opinion of the backpack because they wanted one badly enough to make the trip.

We'll have to see what happens when mail-order reviews start trickling in, or uninvolved third party reviews start popping up. (I fully expect tool channels like AvE to put the screwdriver through a torture test eventually.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If anything, the early birds who bought at the pop-up shop paid less than the rest of us will because they didn't have to pay for shipping (only applicable sales tax).

AND they got to feel it with their own two hands and see it in personal before purchase. No one forced them to buy the bag once they saw it in person. Everyone else online has to order sight unseen. The people there had the lowest price and best experience of all of us. 

4 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

1) your argument is inherently flawed. There backpack is a bargain compared to other high end backpacks or day bags. That makes it a bargain for the quality of item your getting. Cheap and competitive can be mutually exclusive. It isn’t cheap…. But we are not comparing this to a 50 dollar Jansport or a 20 dollar random bag.

Except unfortunately, the backpack is not a bargain for the quality, nor when compared to other high-end backpacks. If you look at companies like Osprey, Fjällräven, Ortlieb, or CamelBak, they all have great warranties (Osp, Fj, Ort, CB) as well as both day- and laptop-bags which are cheaper than the LTT backpack, even after taxes. And they are at least as high-quality as the LTT one.

You are right that it is a premium product, no doubt about it. But people expect premium products to come with consumer-friendly things like good warranties; otherwise, why pay the premium?

3 minutes ago, Silverflame said:

Except unfortunately, the backpack is not a bargain for the quality, nor when compared to other high-end backpacks.

It’s cheaper then my peak bag, much cheaper then my buddies Peter McKinnon (by Nomad) bag, about the same price as Tom Bihn bags. The price is not out of line, and could be considered a bargain for some, it also could be considered insanely expensive for others. 

Don’t misunderstand me, it *should* have a warranty. Warranties are the correct thing to provide. BUT, if the bag fits your needs, and the price is nothing you would look at and think twice about, buy it. I’m confident LMG will stand behind the quality, they have no reason not to, quite literally have every reason to do just the opposite.

There are many options for high quality bags, if this one isn’t right for you, don’t buy it. If it is uniquely correct for you, and the price is something you don’t mind, why not give it a shot. That’s all I’m saying, seemingly over and over. If LMG had a bad track record it would be different, but they don’t… they have stood behind their products thus far, I have no reason to think they will suddenly stop that practice.

54 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

It seems like a lot of people are hung up on the price. If 250 bucks is not trivial, this likely is not the correct item to purchase, even if it had a warranty, and even if it was a trusted backpack manufacturer. If you are the person who searches for quality products and want one that correctly meets your requirements and this product meets them, it’s a no brainer - exactly why my buddy bought one.

I think people are hung up on the price because of the lack of any warranty, there are lots of backpacks in the $250 price range which offer a warranty from a reputable brand, although if you trust Linus enough and the "trust me bro" promise then I guess those people wouldn't have an issue buying an LTT backpack. Most people spending that much on branded merch are probably fans of the channel anyway. Although I'd like to see how the backpack compares to other brands, it would really determine if the backpack is worth being $250 or not.

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

How is it not up to the standards of other models, what is lacking with it?

The only thing I find weird with the LTT backpack is the water bottle holder is inside the backpack, I'd rather have the bottle holder on the outside of the bag, and I wouldn't trust putting a laptop in the backpack as a water bottle could leak.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think people are hung up on the price because of the lack of any warranty, there are lots of backpacks in the $250 price range which offer a warranty from a reputable brand, although if you trust Linus enough and the "trust me bro" promise then I guess those people wouldn't have an issue buying an LTT backpack. Most people spending that much on branded merch are probably fans of the channel anyway. Although I'd like to see how the backpack compares to other brands, it would really determine if the backpack is worth being $250 or not.

I agree, and well said. 

It very much falls into the “lots of fanboys just fanboying”, and a solid chunk of people who like the features buying it because they know it fits their needs. If it fits your needs, and you can afford it, why not get it. It’s not like they are EA where we all know and expect their new game to literally not work for months after release. LMG has quality garments with very good reviews, we have no reason to believe this backpack will not live up to that expectation and reputation.