You don't get a warrantee because Linus might die at an inconvenient time

Wireless G-Spot
29 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

You listed a Wikipedia article. I could edit that page and put a photo of Rick Astley in place of the text. It’s not a valid source. 

It’s a peaceful way to protest that causes no direct damage to LTT just makes people aware of the issues, what do you want  people to do? DDoS the website or start bricking his car, home and office? 

Most edits are reviewed nowadays.

Have you ever done any university papers or, hell, even high school projects? Just like those, citations are given for any relevant fact. Crowd sourced isn't the gotcha you think it is. Many of my papers and projects back in uni were "crowd sourced" (via my project groups,) but it didn't mean it was any less factual so long as you could link it to your sources.

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

The long and the short of it is:

They don't have to offer a warranty if they don't want to.  They have to abide by any laws where they are selling it, and that's it (and if you circumvent any restrictions on sale, then it's entirely on you).

I can see why he doesn't want to offer warranties and honestly agree.  At this stage it's pretty risky and expensive to offer them.  And if you're not happy with that... don't buy whatever it is.  'That's a lost sale then' you might say.  Well yes, and I'm sure Linus and co. are well aware that having no warranty will lose them sales.  They've decided that's a worthwhile trade-off.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:34 AM, Dazza477 said:

My post on Reddit explains it further. When reading the comments, the community seems split. I'd like them to address this, because of how famously pro-consumer Linus is. Not providing legal protection and saying 'trust me bro, we got you', is not enough. Remember in Linus's word, LMG is not your friend. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/wij6n8/linuss_take_on_backpack_warranty_is_anticonsumer/

It's not anti-consumer to not offer a warranty because you as a consumer have the choice to not buy it.

This isn't going back on any legal commitments, breaking the law, or something essential like utilities or food.  It's a luxury.

1 hour ago, Lomac said:

Most edits are reviewed nowadays.

Have you ever done any university papers or, hell, even high school projects? Just like those, citations are given for any relevant fact. Crowd sourced isn't the gotcha you think it is. Many of my papers and projects back in uni were "crowd sourced" (via my project groups,) but it didn't mean it was any less factual so long as you could link it to your sources.

Yes I went to university? Citing Wikipedia was an instant 0.

You have no idea if anything on it is correct and just because an edit has stayed on the page doesn’t mean it’s correct. I put an edit on a page that was incorrect and it was still on the page over a year later but because it sounded correct it apparently wasn’t questioned. There’s a reason why citing a web page in general is an arse. 

13 hours ago, Roswell said:

...I don't think you're making the point that you think you're making.

Unfortunately…. I am. It just is not interpreted by people who don’t want to understand. The fact of warranty does not make them valid or invalid purchases. You can buy a Ferrari and modify it in a way Ferrari doesn’t agree with, and they will nullify your warranty and never let you buy a Ferrari again because you decided to take something you outright own and make it look how you want. 

Or a house, these days, there is no buyer protection anymore. Typically yes, they come with a warranty at least, but all bets are more or less off in todays market.

So, back to the point. LMG has demonstrated they will stand by their product, they have in the past even without a legally binding (which…. Means nothing, I am not sure why people keep bringing that up, plenty of corporations don’t honor their warranty) piece of verbiage. Doing the correct thing by customers is the correct move, and that is what they have demonstrated in the past. Should they have a warranty? Obviously. But have they always done right by customers? As far as all reviews point to… and my own experiences, yes they have. If that is not something you can personally accept, then don’t buy the backpack. Nothing wrong with that. I’m not buying one… but not because the lack of warranty. 

The warranty does make the Rolex a good buy, nor the Ferrari, nor the house or the food. If a warranty did make them a good buy, no one would buy anything except Hyundais with 10 year warranty because nothing else would be worth buying. Thankfully, warranty or not, LMG has made a practice of standing behind their product, and that’s the correct move to make. As soon as they stop doing that, then we get to raise the pitchforks and slam them. Their entire business is based on community trust, that is literally what LMG is doubling down on with labs. If they betray our trust, they will drive themselves into the ground - they are aware of this, obviously.

Hopefully they implement a warranty, I have a feeling they will. This is their first attempt at selling something that is more deserving of a warranty, and they have not even shipped it yet. Let’s see how they react. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, Tams said:

The long and the short of it is:

They don't have to offer a warranty if they don't want to.  They have to abide by any laws where they are selling it, and that's it (and if you circumvent any restrictions on sale, then it's entirely on you).

I can see why he doesn't want to offer warranties and honestly agree.  At this stage it's pretty risky and expensive to offer them.  And if you're not happy with that... don't buy whatever it is.  'That's a lost sale then' you might say.  Well yes, and I'm sure Linus and co. are well aware that having no warranty will lose them sales.  They've decided that's a worthwhile trade-off.

It’s the hypocrisy which is getting people along with every other company in the space offering a long, if not lifetime, warranty. It just seems like a cash grab where they’ve slapped branding on a bag, ordered a bunch to sell and then it’ll be discontinued and anyone with issues will be told to go duck themselves. 

If Linus wants ti critique companies for warranty, quality of product etc then he has to match that commitment himself 

12 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Unfortunately…. I am. It just is not interpreted by people who don’t want to understand. The fact of warranty does not make them valid or invalid purchases. You can buy a Ferrari and modify it in a way Ferrari doesn’t agree with, and they will nullify your warranty and never let you buy a Ferrari again because you decided to take something you outright own and make it look how you want.

Or a house, these days, there is no buyer protection anymore. Typically yes, they come with a warranty at least, but all bets are more or less off in todays market.

So, back to the point. LMG has demonstrated they will stand by their product, they have in the past even without a legally binding (which…. Means nothing, I am not sure why people keep bringing that up, plenty of corporations don’t honor their warranty) piece of verbiage. Doing the correct thing by customers is the correct move, and that is what they have demonstrated in the past. Should they have a warranty? Obviously. But have they always done right by customers? As far as all reviews point to… and my own experiences, yes they have. If that is not something you can personally accept, then don’t buy the backpack. Nothing wrong with that. I’m not buying one… but not because the lack of warranty. 

The warranty does make the Rolex a good buy, nor the Ferrari, nor the house or the food. If a warranty did make them a good buy, no one would buy anything except Hyundais with 10 year warranty because nothing else would be worth buying. Thankfully, warranty or not, LMG has made a practice of standing behind their product, and that’s the correct move to make. As soon as they stop doing that, then we get to raise the pitchforks and slam them. Their entire business is based on community trust, that is literally what LMG is doubling down on with labs. If they betray our trust, they will drive themselves into the ground - they are aware of this, obviously.

Hopefully they implement a warranty, I have a feeling they will. This is their first attempt at selling something that is more deserving of a warranty, and they have not even shipped it yet. Let’s see how they react. 

No you’re incorrect. Cars come with a limited warranty which covers factory spec and approved work. If you modify it outside of that spec then fair enough the warranty is void because if jimbob decides to put a 3L supercharger onto his F150, blowing literally everything in the engine bay upon ignition, then fuck yes that should void a warranty. 

There is buyer protection. I know someone who got a payout years later due to a flood and the seller not informing them that he house was on a flood plain. 

Long warranties do sell cars. Last I checked more people buy Hyundais than Ferraris. 

When have they ever stood behind their product? Offering a warranty is legally standing behind your product, refusing to offer one in favour of what amounts to less than a gentleman’s agreement is standing on the other side of the country to your product. 

They’ll offer a limited warranty that’s maybe 12 months long rather than the 10 to life it should be and then discontinue the product because they don’t have faith it’ll last that long. 

8 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Yes I went to university? Citing Wikipedia was an instant 0.

You have no idea if anything on it is correct and just because an edit has stayed on the page doesn’t mean it’s correct. I put an edit on a page that was incorrect and it was still on the page over a year later but because it sounded correct it apparently wasn’t questioned. There’s a reason why citing a web page in general is an arse. 

Sorry, in my hast to leave for work I may have missed my point. I didn't mean to say that you would cite "Wikipedia.org;" rather, you use the sources already within it. As long as those are properly vetted, it's no different than when I would cite other people's papers or encyclopedias when I was in school back in the day.

Yes, I'm old.

The thing is this thread isnt a thesis paper for a medical PhD or even a final project for some high school course. Referencing a Wikipedia page on review bombing isn't really a faux pas in this context.

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

46 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

It’s the hypocrisy which is getting people along with every other company in the space offering a long, if not lifetime, warranty. It just seems like a cash grab where they’ve slapped branding on a bag, ordered a bunch to sell and then it’ll be discontinued and anyone with issues will be told to go duck themselves. 

If Linus wants ti critique companies for warranty, quality of product etc then he has to match that commitment himself 

Has he criticised small start-ups for not offering warranties?

There's a difference between a small company like Creative Warehouse and Apple, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Asus, even Seasonic.  Even Framework, as they have a massive amount of investor capital pumped into them.  The latter can afford to offer warranties, and should be held to a higher standard as they can afford all the quality checks that should happen.

Anyway, many warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.  Quite a few never come into effect if you don't register your product.

Those 'lifetime' warranties?  Most come with a load of caveats.  Speaking of bags, Timbuk2 didn't honour theirs to me (despite having claimed nothing from them before) after my bag eventually ripped badly.  But I didn't go leave a poor review on their website as that bag had lasted me years and survived a lot of abuse.

32 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

No you’re incorrect. Cars come with a limited warranty which covers factory spec and approved work. If you modify it outside of that spec then fair enough the warranty is void because if jimbob decides to put a 3L supercharger onto his F150, blowing literally everything in the engine bay upon ignition, then fuck yes that should void a warranty.

Sure. If you put a blower or a snail on your car, the motor warranty shouldn’t be honored. But if you wrap it… they shouldn’t void your cars warranty mechanically. There are actually laws that put the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove the modifications you made void the warranty that you are claiming, most companies are fair with this….. not all are. I have had decent luck with Ford personally, they have replaced a transmission in a car that is far from stock… but again, Ferrari will void your warranty for wrapping the car, hell they will sue you if you go what they consider to far off the deep end. So, again, it isn’t about what the company claims they will do, it’s what they actually do. 

36 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

There is buyer protection. I know someone who got a payout years later due to a flood and the seller not informing them that he house was on a flood plain. 

These days, a lot of that is no longer offered, at least not in So Cal where house buying has gone nuts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

36 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Long warranties do sell cars. Last I checked more people buy Hyundais than Ferraris.

Camry is still most popular car, and has been for decades. To Toyotas credit, they do an amazing job of offering parts for a long time, and currently do have a 7 year warranty. But Hyundai is 10, Honda is 5, most American cars are 5, aaaaaaand people still buy the ones with 5 year warranties. My mustang had 3 year power train and I still bought it. So, again, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

38 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

When have they ever stood behind their product? Offering a warranty is legally standing behind your product, refusing to offer one in favour of what amounts to less than a gentleman’s agreement is standing on the other side of the country to your product. 

Have you dealt with an issue on a purchase from LMG? I have, it was handled superbly. And they even routinely provide people discounts after the fact if they end up having a special WAN sale on things, they just ask that you contact support. That’s…. Pretty fair. Most companies wouldn’t do that.

41 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

They’ll offer a limited warranty that’s maybe 12 months long rather than the 10 to life it should be and then discontinue the product because they don’t have faith it’ll last that long. 

Why do you think that? Maybe don’t speculate on the future if you have no evidence to support it. They have not discontinued any of their merch yet (except for shirts that are special etc). What makes you think they will discontinue the backpack out of fear “oh we know this product sucks so we are going to pump and dump 40,000 of them here real quick”. LMG is not in the business of apparel, and they certainly are not in the pump and dump of commodity goods business. Implying they are makes no sense and shows a complete lack of understanding business strategy. They didn’t tie up a large % of their cash for a pump and dump scheme, that makes no sense for them as a profit chasing company. 

At the end of the day, it’s a backpack, you can sow it back together on your own, or find a friend who can. It isn’t a piece of consumer electronics. That is not me writing a warranty off, but at least it is something that can be fixed in most cases. Let’s see how they treat this and see how they do or don’t support the consumers as backpacks start getting shipped. I have a feeling the vast majority of feedback will be positive - as all of their products have been. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

12 minutes ago, Tams said:

Anyway, many warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.  Quite a few never come into effect if you don't register your product.

Exactly…. Apple refused a warranty on my 6s battery because I had already replaced it with a aftermarket one. This was when they were sued into free battery replacement or something along those lines because so many had issues at the time. Well mine had already totally gone to shit, I replaced it myself, then years later they refused to replace it again, and refused to pay me what it cost to change the battery myself even though they did claim in their “legally binding verbiage” that they would cover outside repair costs for this incident. What was I going to do tho….. try and sue apple. I have better things to do with my time. 

But that is an example of a company, writing down some “legally binding verbiage”, and looking me who is a very longtime iPhone buyer and has convinced MANY people to spend thousands on apple products square in the eyes and saying “fuck off”.

Its not about what companies say - it’s about what they actually do. LMG *should say* they have a warranty, but more importantly, they should keep doing what they do and stand behind their product and provide good support to the consumers who purchase said products. 

I find this warranty drama extremely funny coming from Linus "Corporations aren't your friends" Sebastian. Where he ask us to trust him but at the same time if a tech company did that, he would shit talk about it on social networks, WAN, do a video and more.

People aren't asking him for lifetime warranty, just for a basic warranty.

He compares himself with other companies that have warranty policies but don't enforce or do the most that they can to not obey it, this is one of the most dumb and whatabouism thought that I ever saw coming from his mouth, he and LMG isn't the company X by coming with that line of thought that doing warranties meant that they can deny it just makes me think that he doesn't want to give warranties to their products and not that he will give them.

Also he fails to emphatized that companies like snap-on, victorinox and other that have lifetime warranties, have a great support and a lot of times helps it's consumers, which is the reason that people respect them a lot.

1 hour ago, kumicota said:

I find this warranty drama extremely funny coming from Linus "Corporations aren't your friends" Sebastian. Where he ask us to trust him but at the same time if a tech company did that, he would shit talk about it on social networks, WAN, do a video and more.

People aren't asking him for lifetime warranty, just for a basic warranty.

He compares himself with other companies that have warranty policies but don't enforce or do the most that they can to not obey it, this is one of the most dumb and whatabouism thought that I ever saw coming from his mouth, he and LMG isn't the company X by coming with that line of thought that doing warranties meant that they can deny it just makes me think that he doesn't want to give warranties to their products and not that he will give them.

Also he fails to emphatized that companies like snap-on, victorinox and other that have lifetime warranties, have a great support and a lot of times helps it's consumers, which is the reason that people respect them a lot.

'Lifetime' warranties are something to be very wary of.  Usually they are a sign of a good warranty, but what 'lifetime' means is where they have their get-out clause should they want it.  No company is going to destroy their market by constantly replacing sold products.

1 hour ago, kumicota said:

This is a fair point for the screwdriver especially. Snapon tools demand a premium because if your tool breaks, snapon will replace it with the newest version, no questions asked, for the rest of the tools life. You can stop at any snapon truck and give them a broken tool, and they will replace it on the spot. Your effectively paying for a lifetimes worth of the tool up front and there is value in that. 

The LMG screwdriver won’t have trucks that drive around, and they won’t have a support structure like snapon. BUT, they are designing a top notch (so it seems) ratchet, and they are putting a lot of thought into it. Does that demand the same premium price as the snapon competitor, probably not, but some of it is also the novelty. I’ll be buying one because I value quality tools, and I am a big tech person (been building PC’s my entire life, with a lot of help from Linus’ and others YouTube channels over the years), and I personally will value a screwdriver that was designed around PC building enough to justify the purchase - I also have had good experiences with LMG support on issues I have had and thus do trust them to do the right thing if my screwdriver has issues down the line. If they betray that trust though, well, how about we don’t speculate on the future; so far they have done right by me in the instances where I had to contact support. 

All I can say is that Linus would never have bought that response from ANY other company, and I GET that he genuinely believes LMG would take care of the customer, he would NEVER tell consumers to just trust a company to take care of you with nothing in writing to guarantee it. On twitter he posted that they are going to have something by launch, which tells me that the blowback was sufficient to demand change, but his twitter posts were slightly bad faith talking about OCZ lifetime warranty (which would uhhhhh contradict the whole my family on the hook thing, I doubt OCZ family of the board is on hook), and then mentioning that stuff wasn't finalized (paraphrasing)--he said pretty explicitly hey we arent doing warranties and if that bothers you don't buy it. On twitter it's framed like it was a work in progress. Just a poor moment for Linus, but I'm not butthurt. Just want Linus to acknowledge he asked his consumers to do something he would NEVER expect from consumers of other companies when he said that.

Computers

Spoiler

Home Desktop: [CPU] AMD Ryzen 9 5900X [MB] ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II [RAM] G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB) [GPU] ASUS TUF Radeon 6900XT [BOOT] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME [STORAGE] Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB SSD; Inland Performance Plus 1TB (Phison E18) PCIe Gen 4x4 [AIO] Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste) [PSU] Corsair RM850X; Corsair Pro PSU Cable Kit [CASE] Lian Li O11-Dynamic [MOUNT] EK-Loop Vertical GPU Holder (PCIE 3.0 Riser Cable) [FANS] Corsair ML120 (3x); Corsair LL120 (3x); Noctua A12x15 (3x); Corsair Commander Pro XT Fan/RGB Controller
-----
Work Desktop: [CPU] AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT [MB] Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi [RAM] G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB) [GPU] EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 XC Ultra [BOOT] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVME [STORAGE] WD Black 2TB HDD [PCIE] ASUS PCE-C2500 2.5G Base-T [AIO] NZXT Kraken X63 (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste) [PSU] Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w [CASE] NZXT H510 Flow [FANS] NZXT Aer P 140mm (2x); Noctua NF-P12 Redux 120mm (2x); NZXT Fan/RGB Controller
-----
Laptop: MAINGEAR ELEMENT (2019) [CPU] Intel i7-9750H [RAM] Kingston HyperX 32GB 2666MHz (2x16GB) [BOOT] 2TB Intel 660p NVME [GPU] Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q [DISPLAY] 15.6" 1080p 144hz Display

Peripherals, Network, Desk Setup

Spoiler

Peripherals: [MONITOR] LG 32GK650F-B* | Dell P2417H (2x) [M] Razer Naga Pro* | Razer Naga Trinity [KB] See Custom Mechanical Keyboards Section [HEADPHONES] Sennheiser HD600; Sennheiser HD560S; HiFiMan HE400SE; AKG K371; Moondrop Kato IEM [DAC/AMP] SMSL DO100 DAC*; SMSL HO100 AMP*; Schiit Fulla E DAC/AMP; Schiit Asgard 3 AMP; Schiit Modius E DAC [MIC] Blue Yeti Nano [TECHPACK] MAINGEAR Classic Backpack
Note: In cases with multiple entries for parts, * Denotes Home Desktop Peripheral
-----
Network: [ISP] AT&T Fiber 1GB/1GB [ROUTER] ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 AiMesh Network (2x) [SWITCH] Netgear GS110MX 10 Port Unmanaged Switch [NAS] Asustor AS5202T 2 Bay NAS 8TB RAID 1; Iron Wolf Pro 4TB HDD (2x) [CABLES] Various CAT6A [SECURITY] Blink Outdoor Camera with Sync Module (64GB USB Flash) [SMART SPEAKER] Apple HomePod Mini (2x) [AUTOMATION] Philips Hue Bridge [LIGHTING] Hue Color Ambiance A19/E26 (5x); Hue White Ambiance A19/E26 (12x)
-----
Desk Setup: [DESK] Steelcase Series 9000 Desk with Left Pedestal [Chair] Steelcase Gesture (Black)

Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Spoiler

CannonKeys Rekt 1800 (black): [SWITCHES] 63g T1 [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Thicc Films [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Zeal [KEYCAPS] Novelkeys Cherry Taro

CannonKeys Rekt 1800 (white): [SWITCHES] 65g Dark Amber T1 [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] CannonKeys CXA BoW

Monstargear Sangeo60 WKL (black): [SWITCHES] 62g Alpacas [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Staebies [KEYCAPS] GMK Dracula
Decent65 (black): [SWITCHES] 63.5g (two-stage) Neopolitan [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] Alu [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] GMK WoB

CannonKeys Obliterated75SE (Grey/Lilac): [SWITCHES] 63g T1 switches [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] NicePBT Sugarplum
KBDFans Tofu60 (black): [SWITCHES] 63.5g NK Creams [LUBE] Krytox 205g0 [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] Brass [STABS] Cherry Screw-in [KEYCAPS] EPBT WoB (ABS)
KBDFans KBD67Lite R1 (PolyCarb): [SWITCHES] NK Silk Yellows [LUBE] N/A [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Cherry Screw-in [KEYCAPS] EPBT ModernJA (PBT)
KBDFans KBDPADMKII (Silver): [SWITCHES] 62g Alpacas [LUBE] N/A [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] Polycarb [STABS] Durock V2 Alpaca Edition [KEYSCAPS] NicePBT BoW w/ Blush accents
IN GROUP BUY PIPELINE:
AKB Aella (E-White)
CannonKeys Balance (Black/Silver)

Entertainment

Spoiler

Home: [TV] Samsung Q80A 55” 4K QLED [AUDIO] Sony HT-G700 3.1 Soundbar & Subwoofer [STREAM] AppleTV 4K (2021) [TABLET] 11" iPad Pro 128GB (2021); Apple Pencil Gen 2 [PHONE] iPhone 12 Mini [CONSOLE] Nintendo Switch Lite

I'm sure his wife and children are smart enough to know what to do with a warranty product in the event of his death. I'd be a bit insulted if I was his spouse, it's like saying she doesn't know how to pay the bills or put gas in the car without him around to babysit???

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'm sure his wife and children are smart enough to know what to do with a warranty product in the event of his death. I'd be a bit insulted if I was his spouse, it's like saying she doesn't know how to pay the bills or put gas in the car without him around to babysit???

I think a lot of people are taking the exact words a little to much at face value. Obviously it’s a corporation, and I’m sure they have correct legal separation between the corporation of LMG and the actual humans who run/own it. But that doesn’t mean if something was to happen, it wouldn’t put a burden on those who were left to run the company. Obviously the company has the ability to deal with fulfilling orders without its founding CEO, but that really wasn’t the point he was making, come on guys. 

You can disagree with his stance on this, but don’t be pedantic about the way he said it, in the moment, on the WAN show. Disagreeing with his stance is worthwhile, and it’s looking like it drove a change in direction for the company which is good, but don’t attack the person, attack the argument/stance.

18 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I think a lot of people are taking the exact words a little to much at face value. Obviously it’s a corporation, and I’m sure they have correct legal separation between the corporation of LMG and the actual humans who run/own it. But that doesn’t mean if something was to happen, it wouldn’t put a burden on those who were left to run the company. Obviously the company has the ability to deal with fulfilling orders without its founding CEO, but that really wasn’t the point he was making, come on guys. 

You can disagree with his stance on this, but don’t be pedantic about the way he said it, in the moment, on the WAN show. Disagreeing with his stance is worthwhile, and it’s looking like it drove a change in direction for the company which is good, but don’t attack the person, attack the argument/stance.

The person is the one who made the statement, holds the stance, and directs the company. Them and and what they said are inseparable especially given their stance on some other hot button issues and own personal exceptions for those stances. "Do as I say not as I do" is the vibe I'm getting more and more and that's not a good thing one bit.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The person is the one who made the statement, holds the stance, and directs the company. Them and and what they said are inseparable especially given their stance on some other hot button issues and own personal exceptions for those stances. "Do as I say not as I do" is the vibe I'm getting more and more and that's not a good thing one bit.

Sure… but I think it’s a little pedantic to jump to “my wife and family won’t be able to fulfill warranty claims if I die” or “they wouldn’t be able to fill up gas in their car without me”. That is not what he was saying. 

Attacking talking out of both sides of his mouth tho, that’s fair. They should have a warranty as that is the right consumer oriented thing to do. And it would appear the backlash has pressed the issue. Again tho, the statement he made was an off hand one to a buddy on a live show, I think it’s fair to attack the base of the point, not the exact words he used. And his point is a valid one, but I think that shows they as a company are a little out of their depth with being a retailer, which is a point he also made “this ain’t our core business” or something to that affect. If they want to start selling more merch, they will have to figure out some better internal practices on how they will address these things. Again, as I keep saying, let’s see how they do.

20 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Sure… but I think it’s a little pedantic to jump to “my wife and family won’t be able to fulfill warranty claims if I die” or “they wouldn’t be able to fill up gas in their car without me”. That is not what he was saying. 

Attacking talking out of both sides of his mouth tho, that’s fair. They should have a warranty as that is the right consumer oriented thing to do. And it would appear the backlash has pressed the issue. Again tho, the statement he made was an off hand one to a buddy on a live show, I think it’s fair to attack the base of the point, not the exact words he used. And his point is a valid one, but I think that shows they as a company are a little out of their depth with being a retailer, which is a point he also made “this ain’t our core business” or something to that affect. If they want to start selling more merch, they will have to figure out some better internal practices on how they will address these things. Again, as I keep saying, let’s see how they do.

The things you say off hand to friends are far and away more truthful and telling than prepared public statements.

5 hours ago, Tams said:

It's not anti-consumer to not offer a warranty because you as a consumer have the choice to not buy it.

This isn't going back on any legal commitments, breaking the law, or something essential like utilities or food.  It's a luxury.

You're right. Like an iPhone is a luxury. Like a gaming laptop is a luxury. By your logic, because Framework and Fairphone exist, it's okay for other companies to actively lobby against right to repair, right? An alternative exists, so don't buy from the others, right?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

The things you say off hand to friends are far and away more truthful and telling than prepared public statements.

They can be, depending on the situation. I really think your reading way into this though.

Can you really not see the point he was trying to make? Or are you just choosing not to for the sake of argument?

This is the type of stuff that makes us not able to have nice things. If every time a public facing person says something that can be left to interpretation they get slashed for having opened their mouth, things like WAN show may entirely go away. The public needs to be able to have a sense of understanding and not attack the exact words used - especially if it’s not a representation of what is typical. I used this example before, companies like EA have built up a “tradition” of releasing games that are not complete and thus no one should pre-order games, specifically and especially from EA. LMG has thus far supported its community of consumers by all accounts and has stood by their products. If the CEO of EA goes on YouTube and says “battlefield VI is going to be fully complete at launch, we promise”, probably don’t believe then because of their track record. If linus goes on WAN show and says we still stand behind our products like we always have, maybe give him the benefit of the doubt because that is what they have done historically. Or don’t, and don’t buy their products. Vote with your wallet. I continually buy their shirts because they are some of the highest quality shirts I own, and they are extremely affordable - I vote with my wallet and want to continue to be able to buy their high quality merchandise. 

Just now, clayb91 said:

You're right. Like an iPhone is a luxury. Like a gaming laptop is a luxury. By your logic, because Framework and Fairphone exist, it's okay for other companies to actively lobby against right to repair, right? An alternative exists, so don't buy from the others, right?

This doesn’t have anything to do with right to repair. It has to do with LMG being new to this market, and not really having a great grasp on the need for warranty. LMG is not going to attempt to make it so you can’t modify your backpack once your purchase it, or try and make sure they are the only ones who can repair it. This is a commodity good, that anyone with a sewing machine could theoretically fix if something was to go wrong, not a high tech piece of consumer electronics that you couldn’t possibly fix on your own with household tools. 

That does not make the lack of warranty “fine”, but to compare it to an iPhone is a bit off base. Let’s see how they change course as a result of this backlash. That will be more telling about their pro or anti consumer mentality then anything. Let’s see if they do the right thing, and if you were on the fence about buying one because of this, just wait and vote with your wallet. If they do the right thing and provide warranty, support them and buy it. If they don’t, don’t. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

4 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

You're right. When applied to most companies, you could say they could weasel out of the warranty. They all do it.

The problem here is the discrepancy in what Linus said. "This is designed to last 5-10 years" means nothing when he then says "a warranty is useless, just trust me and my team to make it right." If he would have just said "we made this backpack to be durable, and we will replace it if it fails within 3 years," that says so much more. He's backing up his words with actions.

He could do a decent warranty and just put his word on paper. It provides peace of mind to the consumer, and it's just being transparent. Why not outline the guidelines your support staff are using to judge whether a replacement is issued or not for your customer? Maybe don't call it a warranty, maybe just call it a replacement policy. It may not change anything. It could be the exact same guidelines that staff already have. But make it public so that the consumer knows exactly how LMG and Creator Warehouse are supporting and backing up their product.