Portless Laptops are Coming! Run Away! or are they going to be awesome?

GhostRoadieBL
2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its going to be fun to watch the screen bend and die from the heat of the wireless power and data transfer....

and the fact that i dont think they are actually going to deliver what people really expect 

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its going to be fun to watch the screen bend and die from the heat of the wireless power and data transfer....

wouldn't the same happen to wireless charging phones? I know OnePlus had a 50W wireless charger which would be more than enough for this laptop and their phones didn't melt from heat.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

43 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A tablet isn't a laptop though, with a laptop you have more flexibility with devices you can plug in, and aren't being limited by performance.

The only difference between a tablet and laptop is if the keyboard is detachable or not. Thats it.

47 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Nor with other existing thin, very thin laptop. Not to repeat a discussion and point I've said before but reducing chassis height removes an extremely small amount of metal/material so the weight reduction is next to nothing. You'd be saving more weight by removing the fans and putting in an even weaker and tinnier heatsink and/or making the chassis the heatsink which is not great for usability comfort at all.

The tradeoffs are worse, not saying it shouldn't exist but the benefits are VASTLY overblown like always.

You can go fanless with convection air current to aid in cooling without going thin to the extreme, that's a reason not to do this.

Correct. Weight isn't the only thing you need to factor in when thinking of portability. Thickness plays a huge part too. It was way easier to carry around my Series 9 vs the T470s, and the height differences aren't great. Worse is subjective, as someone who uses it for a daily email/web machine wouldn't really notice the reduced performance. Though, that does make the spec they chose to go with quite odd, which is why I mentioned the 9w i7.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It speaks to the insanity of the modern world where removing functionality is seen as a good thing. I guess they just have Apple levels of "courage."

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

36 minutes ago, dizmo said:

which is why I mentioned the 9w i7.

It would be great seeing an i5 chip or the 9w i7 in this. I expect they are playing the halo product card to make sure they are noticed instead of the practical everyday user where they need to mass produce.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

you donkey, you effing donkey

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I know a product like this isn't for me at all, but how does having such a thin laptop actually improve the user experience in any way compared to laptops that are already considered thin? You'd have less cooling capability the thinner you go, so there's almost certainly going to be a performance tradeoff. Then you've got things like space needed for batteries and other components. 

It doesn't. It'll take one accidental drop, and the screen and battery will buckle. See tablets such as the iPad. If the battery buckles, fire.

There is a reason why I kept saying 7mm in the thread about USB-C.

USB-C ports are 7.35mm x 8.94mm x 4.3mm , and that 4.3mm thickness doesn't include chassis of the device. So unless you're going to make your device have sub-1.3mm material thickness, there is literately no room for USB-C.

I dog-eared my 3rd gen ipad by dropping it from the height of my suitcase. It didn't break the screen. The iphone 6 had bendgate. The iPhone 6 was 6.9mm thick. Current 13's are 7.65mm.

We basically learned, that for a phone, something below 7.5mm starts trading off strength. But for a tablet or a laptop, it needs to be even thicker, because people are going to hold onto it by the corner out of habit.

This is a stupid idea. Why everyone wants to use inefficient induction charging on everything? Everyone is obsessed with energy labels on devices and constantly bragging about efficiency and then they are throwing 1/3 of energy away before it even reaches devices. It's stupid. At least make magnetically attachable contacts instead of coils. And the hub with actual ports shouldn't be any larger than regular charger, otherwise what's the point, you're just shuffling ports from one device to another and you still need to carry both with you.

Also such laptop only makes sense if you absolutely know you'll never need to use a single port. Then it's cool to have something this thin. But that's a very niche group of people imo. Also battery must suck on such thin device unless it'll run some weak ARM or Atom CPU.

2 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

wouldn't the same happen to wireless charging phones? I know OnePlus had a 50W wireless charger which would be more than enough for this laptop and their phones didn't melt from heat.

You dont beed to melt the plastic to bend or warp it....

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

I feel like it doesn't need heat from the charger to bend. Looks like it might have the same problem as the iPhone 6. Bendy bendy. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

The only difference between a tablet and laptop is if the keyboard is detachable or not. Thats it.

I would also hope the OS is tablet optimized as well though, something Windows hasn't historically been good at though.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

It was way easier to carry around my Series 9 vs the T470s, and the height differences aren't great.

T470s isn't actually all that thin compared to other laptops. MacBook Air is a good example. This concept vs Air then Air easily, before or after the M1 switch.

There are a lot of other MacBook Air like laptops too, like the HP Spectre x360

8TL29PA-ABG.02.jpg?fit=fill&bg=0FFF&w=1500&h=844&auto=format,compress

craob-x-ultrabook-w-ports-hub.thumb.jpg.83e1a43f99074e554da1f570abd9a146.jpg

4284.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=3025a2b3b88d0899cbe2e6609bd2c06d

macbook-air-og-202011?wid=1200&hei=630&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&.v=1604278672000

Having the rear of the chassis slightly thicker to accommodate better cooling and 1 or 2 ports seems to me that it's an outright better design in every aspect including style. Seems to me CRAOB either forgot that tapering is a thing or they wanted to make a statement regardless of tradeoff, I'm going with the latter. How much sacrifices need to be made doesn't seem to matter.

Like I get it though, it's really cool looking design and being so thin conceptually is nice but my inability to turn my brain off invalidates all of that. Just my opinion though.

It's great having these ultra thin laptops,  that you have to carry in a reinforced bag with extra padding so you don't break it when you rest it against a table leg.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's great having these ultra thin laptops,  that you have to carry in a reinforced bag with extra padding so you don't break it when you rest it against a table leg.  perfectly flat floor

fixed

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

design wise that is really cool, but I would straight up hate having a notebook without ports especially for work.

I'm also interested if the wireless dock already works in the BIOS of if you are just screwed if you want to boot from a USB drive.

Yeah, this is a yikes from me.

How tf are they going to cool a 28W part with something that thin? It's going to thermal throttle like crazy! And I bet that keyboard is gonna suck.

As for the concept of a portless laptop, ehhhh... Not sure how I feel about everything from power to data being reliant on a single connection.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sweet. Honestly I could get behind something like this. I very rarely if ever used the port on my laptop. Can't wait to hear all the crying about how it's stupid...almost as if these people don't understand that there can be more than one type of product on the market, and maybe it's just not meant for them 🙄

"But but, I don't like it! It shouldn't exist! 😭"

I do hope they make that hinge extra strong though. Not that a charger like that would have much weight, but I've had some seriously light hinges.

7mm is a lot more than marginally thinner.

Let's be honest here. The laptop looks way dumber with that brick magnetically attached to the back that it completely takes away from the fact that it is portless. 

21 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Let's be honest here. The laptop looks way dumber with that brick magnetically attached to the back that it completely takes away from the fact that it is portless. 

i wish they were using something like a logitech powerplay mousemat instead of a brick attached to the display

i can get behind portless laptops, but this iteration is lowkey dumb

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Yes age where less is more like baseline and DLC marketed as extra, of course.
I get the thin idea, cool and all not that it can't be usable, but yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why? that huge cancer in the back is not convinient at all.

mayby get a wider bur thinner dock in the back so it actually looks like a laptop when it charges( which it needs to do a lot)

Also why such good specs in so thin laptop. that is also a bad idea. 

Mayby if you sit on your office all day, then it might get convinient, but the charger also needs cables, so whats the point? 

Only good thing I see is that, when thi launches, some companies might develop a better portless laptop. like laptop you can actually use, but that mgiht take a long time.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

almost as if these people don't understand that there can be more than one type of product on the market, and maybe it's just not meant for them

The problem is that most companies follow such trends and the people who need the ports dont have much choice anymore

Same with the headphone jack on phones, sadly it got so widely adopted that the choices are very limited...

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Or the screen get damaged or bent from having the port thing attached when you close the laptop.

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

Maybe if you only use a laptop for browsing or basic office use, otherwise no, a tablet is performance limited by passive cooling, the keyboard usually is awful on detachable keyboards, and you often can't use a tablet with a keyboard on your lap because the tablet causes it to be top heavy. I don't see the point of a portless laptop, you're taking away all the convenience to need a large dock to get anything done.