Portless Laptops are Coming! Run Away! or are they going to be awesome?

GhostRoadieBL
10 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Wow, I haven't seen one of these in a long while.

That's a proof that portless laptops suck,and that laptops packed with IO reign supreme.

No one likes to carry around dongles and adapters.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

That's a proof that portless laptops suck,and that laptops packed with IO reign supreme.

Nowadays, I'm happy with 2xUSB-C, 2xUSB-A, HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack and microSD slot.
Ethernet and VGA aren't that necessary for me, so using the USB-C dongle doesn't bother me as much.
I really want Framework to succeed. Really liked the concept, which isn't that dissimilar to these extension cards.

5 hours ago, Vishera said:

Donglehell.

It's bad enough on mobile phones, it's only worse when a device has no ports and can not justify having no ports unlike a watch.

Honestly, damn near every "thin and light" laptop requires a dock to do anything. Everyone uses a mouse and requires wired ethernet unless the office has been explicitly designed for WiFi everywhere, and even then you're going to get 1Gbit over wired, while you might get 1mbits in the crappiest parts of the office over wifi. 

At the office, 100% of employees:

1. Use a dock

2. Connect to two monitors

3. Use a keyboard and mouse, with the mouse plugged into the laptop itself

The only time people use WiFi at the office is when they are in the conference rooms.

Does anyone else keep seeing this thread title and reading it as 'Pointless laptops are coming' or is it just me?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I mean how often do I actually use the like.. Three ports on my surface? Its not often.

But I would definitely not buy this.

Looks like they are going for a qi charger, and that's it for antennas sooooo are they going to try and get several USB ports and TB over that too?... Seems stupid

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

31 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Looks like they are going for a qi charger, and that's it for antennas sooooo are they going to try and get several USB ports and TB over that too?... Seems stupid

one driver issue, and all ports disabled 🙂

On 2/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

i7-1280P w/ Iris Xe graphics

aka: 1280x2276

✨FNIGE✨

On 2/5/2022 at 6:41 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Looks like they are going for a qi charger, and that's it for antennas sooooo are they going to try and get several USB ports and TB over that too?

I think it's standard Qi charging but either pin-pad connection (maybe in the logo) or something to do with NFC or wifi connected ports which I've never seen but should be possible within the wifi6 universe (obviously not TB). Latency would be less of a problem with the antennas basically touching but it's probably tech the big names would kill for.

Should be looking out for iNinjas.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

So there are lots and lots of debates and arguments about dongles, lack of portability, what to do with corded peripherals etc.  But no one seems to have hit on the most important problem.  Are we not supposed to be developing tech that is more power efficient and uses less materials to manufacture?  IF so then wireless charging uses more copper and is less efficient that a wire,  plus a box like dongle for everything else requires more materials than putting the ports directly onto the motherboard. 

It's like a step backwards for the sake of what? I can't even think of an advantage.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's like a step backwards for the sake of what? I can't even think of an advantage.

ConvenienceTM

✨FNIGE✨

3 minutes ago, FnigePython said:

ConvenienceTM

*puts wireless charging in the walls, floor and desks*

also

*puts wireless ports inside my desk that holds over 9000 ports running on the 6ghz*

I use the usb type a and rj45 ports on my laptop frequently but for thin laptops thunderbolt is fine.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:06 AM, FnigePython said:

ConvenienceTM

Whichever company registered that trademark has an awesome PR department.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/7/2022 at 4:05 AM, GhostRoadieBL said:

I think it's standard Qi charging but either pin-pad connection (maybe in the logo) or something to do with NFC or wifi connected ports which I've never seen but should be possible within the wifi6 universe (obviously not TB). Latency would be less of a problem with the antennas basically touching but it's probably tech the big names would kill for.

Should be looking out for iNinjas.

... But if you already have pin-pad contacts... Why waste a load of power doing wireless charging...

NFC is super not built for speed I'm fairly sure. WiFi is probably going to work shit at that distance too if I had to guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Apple: Notch

This computer: Attaches the entire conputer on the back of the screen.

Its dumb and it looks dumb, most importantly it looks dumb.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:37 PM, mr moose said:

So there are lots and lots of debates and arguments about dongles, lack of portability, what to do with corded peripherals etc.  But no one seems to have hit on the most important problem.  Are we not supposed to be developing tech that is more power efficient and uses less materials to manufacture?  IF so then wireless charging uses more copper and is less efficient that a wire,  plus a box like dongle for everything else requires more materials than putting the ports directly onto the motherboard. 

Because less cables looks good I guess.

Either way, more USB please, I always run out XD