The day of the simp - Twitch git leaked on 4chan

williamcll
Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay on-topic and follow the Community Standards

image.thumb.png.151b58ebb8ce806e7fa3e92943bfea99.png

While obviously I can't link the torrent but an anonymous user on 4chan's technology board has uploaded multiple repositories of twitch including, gits, SDKs, user earnings and even commits going back to justintv ages.

Due to the possibility that your personal information may be leaked, it is highly recommended you change your passwords.

The user posted a 125GB torrent link to 4chan on Wednesday, stating that the leak was intended to “foster more disruption and competition in the online video streaming space” because “their community is a disgusting toxic cesspool”. VGC can verify that the files mentioned on 4chan are publicly available to download as described by the anonymous hacker.

One anonymous company source told VGC that the leaked data is legitimate, including the source code for the Amazon-owned streaming platform. Internally, Twitch is aware of the breach, the source said, and it’s believed that the data was obtained as recently as Monday. We’ve requested comment from Twitch and will update this story when it replies.

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-entirety-of-twitch-has-reportedly-been-leaked/

Thoughts: Ouch, I bet the IRS would love to look at this. I don't use twitch myself but I wonder if my own personal data could also be hiding somewhere inside here.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I love the irony of 4Chan users calling another community a toxic cesspool. 

That's how 4chan have always been.

If anything they are as equally inclusive as tumblr and twitter (through mutal hate against each other).

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

spacer.png

Summary

125GB of Twitch's entire source code and more was leaked. With files detailing a Steam competitor, Vapor, and a VR Unity game, VapeWorld. Alongside CurseForge, SDKs, streamer payout, and AWS details.

Quotes

The torrent also reportedly includes Unity code for a game called Vapeworld, which appears to be chat software based on Amazon’s unreleased Steam competitor Vapor.

Meanwhile, Vapor, the codename for an alleged in-development Steam competitor, is claimed to integrate many of Twitch’s features into a bespoke game store.

The leaked Twitch data reportedly includes:

• The entirety of Twitch’s source code with comment history “going back to its early beginnings”
  • Creator payout reports from 2019
  • Mobile, desktop and console Twitch clients
  • Proprietary SDKs and internal AWS services used by Twitch
  • “Every other property that Twitch owns” including IGDB and CurseForge
  • An unreleased Steam competitor, codenamed Vapor, from Amazon Game Studios
  • Twitch internal ‘red teaming’ tools (designed to improve security by having staff pretend to be hackers)

My thoughts

This appears to be just a "Part one" of the leaks according to the torrent file name on 4Chan, unsure what other information that they would be leaking out as the reason for them doing so was to “foster more disruption and competition in the online video streaming space” because “their community is a disgusting toxic cesspool”. This could also pose a security risk as it includes code that interacts with Amazon Web Services (AWS), potentially allowing future hacks for that platform. Which is practically used by almost anyone and everyone...

Thoughts specifically on the Steam competitor and a potential VR game would be... interesting to say the least, as currently the default social VR game is VRChat and progress with development/optimisation has been rather slow. While NeosVR and a few other games are slowly catching up in userbase, wonder how Amazon would do it any different. More can be found in the Twitter thread above, images and other files and such.

Also leaked is the income of all the top streamers on Twitch, would be interesting to see this number being publicly disclosed in this leak. The thread above also will be adding anyone new to the list as more are found and organised.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sources

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-entirety-of-twitch-has-reportedly-been-leaked/

https://twitter.com/Sinoc229/status/1445639261974261766 (Source for image 1 & 2)

https://twitter.com/KnowS0mething/status/1445651544200781830 (Source for image 3)

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I love the irony of 4Chan users calling another community a toxic cesspool. 

No Kidding.

Also inb4 someone clones twitch out of spite.

Usually source code leaks of websites don't amount to very much. Software/game source code/asset leaks tend to be super-valuable for preservation efforts. Website leaks are always incomplete in ways that you couldn't preserve the functionality of a website if you tried. 

I did see the "top 10,000" earners list, and it doesn't exactly reveal anything you couldn't figure out from socialblade or similar sites that track viewership. Perhaps it might give some streamers envy over what bigger streamers earn, and might get a bunch of channer kiddies streaming for entirely the wrong reason.

The kind of data that I would be concerned about is contact information for those payouts, since that would reveal people's names and locations.

Hmmmmm, glad I don't stream. (I only use twitch for the WAN show)

But I sould probably change the password as well

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Shows how out of touch I am with top Twitch. I've only heard of two people on that list, and one of them only because of an earlier collab with Linus.

Asmon only entered my radar when he started FFXIV. Not been watching recently but I guess now I have a possible idea how much ball park 100k active watchers gets you, not counting external revenue sources.

Anyway, time for early lunch then I'll do the password change. I presume I'd have to re-enter it in all clients which will be a pain.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I do not see the need to be vicious towards successful people.

well many wealthy people are getting busted for using tax havens right now, so i guess that's where my rage for "successful" people are coming from.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I know zero of the 25 and I'm glad lol

Correction: 26

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Just now, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Would you not agree that so called 'tax haven' just has a well functioning tax system?

Definitely not. Panama and Ireland offer tax incentives to foreign companies that don't employ anyone. Basically wealthy people hide their wealth by creating a holding company in a foreign country that doesn't pay taxes to that country, or any country.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a29505412/the-laundromat-true-story-panama-papers/#:~:text=Netflix's The Laundromat is Based,Antonio Banderas's Panama Papers movie.

I know of one, and only because my friends talk about him and he has ads in the delivery boxes for Domino's Pizza.

So Amazon had an open access to all of their backend data just sitting out there. LOL

Most of the stuff isn't actually that interesting. Code is Code and you really don't want to reuse someone else's code. The payouts might be interesting for Economic Analysis over the coming years by some PhD students, maybe. However, what might be of real interest is their actual moderation approaches & actions. That's the one that Twitch's Legal Department is going to lose sleep over.

33 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I do not see the need to be vicious towards successful people.

He wasn't being viscous toward people earning more money, It was a reaction to noticing the effort he puts into his job (which is likely way more necessary to societies functioning) doesn't earn anywhere near what someone can earn playing video games (which by comparison adds literally nothing to society).

It's all in the last line "fuck this world"  notice he didn't say "fuck those guys" or "fuck twitch" or even "fuck the rich".  I twas clearly "fuck the world" which highlights an issue with the way the world values some things.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah..., if EA couldn't compete with steam I doubt Amazon can 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

He wasn't being viscous toward people earning more money, It was a reaction to noticing the effort he puts into his job (which is likely way more necessary to societies functioning) doesn't earn anywhere near what someone can earn playing video games (which by comparison adds literally nothing to society).

The amount of money people throw at Twitch streamers for basically being there always made me question humanity. I think it is so sad to buy yourself 5 seconds of attention from someone that has no idea who you are and probably couldn't care less, thanking you for "the support". Why don't they say the truth, "thanks for giving me moneyz".

6 minutes ago, HSF3232 said:

Oh it's gets worse... This was in BBC news. Don't know if this should be under it's own seperate topic though.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58809169

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out,  If it gets traction we might see a lot of video streaming sites simply close down.

EDIT: I can see youtube going to an automated review system where X number of complaints equals automatic take down.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

30 minutes ago, srcds0706 said:

streamers are (rightfully) pissed off

praying for the PR guy who has to wake up to this disaster of epic proportions

Remember that the anon said this was just the first part of more leaks.

big oof.

56 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Yeah..., if EA couldn't compete with steam I doubt Amazon can 

Its because no one wants yet another god damn games client. Everyone can try, but ultimately, people are just not going to go with it no matter what. Steam was the first. GOG found its niche with old games. The rest are just copying it. I don't want to run 10 stupid games clients. Steam and GOG are enough. I only install Origin for those few games that I ever play from EA and that's that.

2 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

fucking hell, i'm working 8 hours a day and 3 shifts and i make about 14 an hour, these fuckers are playing video games at home and make 10-300k a month. fuck this world.

Keep in mind that what you see on-stream is only part of what they're doing. There's usually a lot of behind-the-scenes production involved. One streamer I've known for a long time said the six hours of streaming you saw one day also included three to four hours off-camera.  If you're a successful streamer, it's about a lot more than playing video games.

That's a leakage. Twitch definitely became a pop site for quite a while though. If number of top streamers that game would leave and all esports go to YT it would 100% literally be a pop chaturbate pop like trash site.

I see they think as I do with "their community is a disgusting toxic cesspool" because I've been saying that for a while.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |