TPMpocalypse; Microsoft singlehandedly destroys the TPM market

Summary

Following Microsoft's announcement that Windows 11 would only work with computers equipped with a Trusted Platform Module, a surge in demand for third party modules has overwhelmed the current availability from most major retailers. This, as you might have come to expect, has led to a shortage, which means unavailability, scalpers, bots, and price hikes.

Quotes

The TPM market has largely imploded overnight, with nearly all modules being completely out of stock. Some TPMs are still available, but they're only available at significantly higher pricing. Scalping is already taking hold, just like we currently see in many other areas of the PC market. Whip in the ongoing chip shortages that could make timely restocks more of a dream than a reality, and we could see a prolonged period of TPM shortages set in.  

All of Gigabyte's TPM modules are currently out of stock from popular retailers like Newegg and Amazon, and there's no indication when they'll be restocked.

For Asus users, the choice of buying a TPM is very simple: The TPM-M R2.0 is the lone product. Pricing for the TPM-M R2.0 is significantly better than Gigabyte's offerings by a fair margin. Pricing skyrocketed to $25.16 just before it went out of stock on June 27th. This model is also sold out on eBay.

MSI has two TPM modules, with one actually available to buy today from Amazon via a third-party seller. The TPM V3.19 module is available for $24.99, but the MS-4136 is currently out of stock.

Supermicro has two TPM modules: The AOM-TPM-9665V-C and the AOM-TPM-9665V. You can pick up the AOM-TPM-9665V-C chip right now for $34.85 on Amazon. As for the AOM-TPM-9665V, pricing is rock solid steady at $40.88 as it's only been on sale (from Amazon) since yesterday.

The good news is that the physical module will be optional on most systems, thanks to all modern Intel and AMD CPUs featuring a firmware-based TPM that operates inside the chips' trusted execution environment. If you have a motherboard that supports CPU-based TPM, you can turn it on via the UEFI/BIOS.

My thoughts

This is getting absurd. The instant anything happens, an entire market goes out of stock. Luckily, this isn't going to be a problem for most people.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tpm-modules-unobtainable-expensive-windows-11

RIP Infineon doesn't have much stock of the 9665 which is used in a lot of designs for TPMs. Only about 5k of them out in the wild for purchasing.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup we all expected this. Gotta thank Microsoft, they sure are inspiring us to create things - TPM memes.

5 minutes ago, BachChain said:

June 27th

Are you a wizard from the future?

2 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

People buy chips that may not be required for software that isn't yet released while there are walkwrounds. Got it.

People only now finding out about TPM bundled together with not knowing about firmware TPM is just the perfect formula for chaos..

I'd just to remind everyone that a lot of Intel and AMD processors have built in TPMs.

On AMD it's called a fTPM.

On Intel it's called a PTT.

It can often be enabled in the BIOS and you can check if it's working by opening up the start menu, typing in "tpm" and clicking on the "security processor" thing that comes up.

image.thumb.png.a7130094f1cc9fa1aee2a0e28bab849b.png

Or if you prefer CLIs, you can open up powershell (as admin) and type in:

get-tpm

It should say:

TpmPresent                : True

TpmReady                  : True

TpmEnabled                : True

TpmActivated              : True

25 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

People buy chips that may not be required for software that isn't yet released while there are walkwrounds. Got it.

There are workarounds that work for the development build, but Microsoft requirements are a minimum of TPM 1.2 and UEFI secureboot, that could change what works with the release version.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

There are workarounds that work for the development build, but Microsoft requirements are a minimum of TPM 1.2 and UEFI secureboot, that could change what works with the release version.

And I still haven't found why TPM is a requirement for the OS...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

For Bitlocker driver encryption, the fucking hilarious fact is Windows 11 Home does not include Bitlocker yet requires TPM 1.2 minimum.

The whole TPM requirement needs to fuck off so far away science is yet to create a term.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I haven't seen a good reason for it, most Win11 home users wouldn't need TPM anyway.

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd imagine its an effort to make Windows more secure, adds a layer of encryption

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

I'd imagine its an effort to make Windows more secure, adds a layer of encryption

Make it a bloody option.  Not a requirement.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Just now, Tieox said:

Make it a bloody option.  Not a requirement.  

Tell Microsoft, not me. I honestly don't care lol, in my BIOS its simply a software toggle.

I turned it on and i'm all set.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Oh I plan too.

I wonder how many of these are just scalpers hoping to corner the market. Not sure what they’re expecting. Imo the whole situation is being overreacted to.

That's an F in the profile pic

1 hour ago, BachChain said:

This is getting absurd. The instant anything happens, an entire market goes out of stock.

Thats just simply more efficient, to just produce what is needed. Practically no company is prepared for a sudden, unexpected surge in demand for their product.

lol they just announced the OS and it won't be out till like late this year and updating to it isn't even necessary for a couple years. 

People need to calm down xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

That is correct. Per MS, it's for "hardware root-of-trust". The TPM stores encryption keys and will be integral with Windows Hello.

I'd imagine it to be more integrated MFA solution for other services online. I don't know, but it could in effect act as something of a "Yubikey" in terms of functionality. Only it's fixed to the hardware, and not intended to be a primary means. Just provides security with more convenience as the devices is, well...trusted. 

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

That is correct. Per MS, it's for "hardware root-of-trust". The TPM stores encryption keys and will be integral with Windows Hello.

I'd imagine it to be more integrated MFA solution for other services online. I don't know, but it could in effect act as something of a "Yubikey" in terms of functionality. Only it's fixed to the hardware, and not intended to be a primary means. Just provides security with more convenience as the devices is, well...trusted. 

Ok, so let me ask you this, my system is locked down via TPM and HelloFace or whatever other crap is "required" by MS.

I get careless and download a keylogger, or worse, an encryption virus. How does the TPM protect me from this?

In other words, I'm having a hard time visualizing how the TPM improves security for me...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, sof006 said:

The thing is that just having a TPM doesn't make anything more secure. It has to actually be used for something to increase security.

So far Microsoft haven't really said HOW they are making Windows more secure or why TPM is required.

That gave me a good laugh,Windows 11 is just a reskin of 10,and the requirements are ridiculous.

There is no reason what soever to install Windows 11,the UI is so bad and weird,just why does this thing exist?

There is no need for Windows 11,

I am writing this from a Windows Vista machine with a modded kernel 😄

Spoiler

6.thumb.png.19006d71b8ecc10b2cd5288b369c96d8.png

Jokes aside,Microsoft could can just release those changes as an optional update for Windows 10,and even better with a new theme system that you can modify and create.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566