What is piece of tech that, when it first came out, you thought sucked, but when you used it, became essential?

Dundee

touchscreens on laptops.

when i saw it for the first time i thought it was silly.. but then it ended up being one of the primary points for me upgrading my laptop.

Krisp. It's a noise cancelling app, that's basically an alternative to RTX Voice. Thought it would be terrible, but actually saved my ass many times on online conferences and job interviews(online) and even remote-proctored exams. Phew!! 🙂 It got an update today, and am super happy with the audio quality and the noise cancelling feature.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

29 minutes ago, manikyath said:

touchscreens on laptops.

when i saw it for the first time i thought it was silly.. but then it ended up being one of the primary points for me upgrading my laptop.

I still feel like its silly, but I know if I ever use one, I might like it, None of my laptops so far have had touch screens

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Trackpoints. At first I thought they were stupid and too difficult, but now I can't comfortably use a laptop without one. If I'm getting a new laptop, a trackpoint is a requirement.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

1 minute ago, LloydLynx said:

Trackpoints. At first I thought they were stupid and too difficult, but now I can't comfortably use a laptop without one. If I'm getting a new laptop, a trackpoint is a requirement.

Before multi-touch track pads where a thing I would agree with you. Now I can't because good trackpads and OSes with good gesture support is unbeatable, except for one thing: track points are still better at moving the mouse cursor.

On topic:

For me it actually was smart phones. I had fidgeted around with PDAs, I had those awful Windows Mobile phones  as a work phone in the mid 00s. When the iPohone initially came I got it because it was an iPod and an phone, and just intended to use it as an iPod phone (I've always had an personal phone parallel to my work phone), well I guess Apple actually did smart phones right, I still use iPod functionality a lot on my iPhone and I use it as a PDA, but the thing I probably do the least on it is use it as a phone to make calls. 

My iphone, I fucking hate android OS, never realized how bad it was until I switched to iphone. Having a guaranteed few years of software support is also nice, don't have to worry about my phone loosing software support in a couple months to a year. I know that some phones get android support for a long time, but it's unpredictable, and shouldn't be an issue in the first place.  

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Before multi-touch track pads where a thing I would agree with you. Now I can't because good trackpads and OSes with good gesture support is unbeatable, except for one thing: track points are still better at moving the mouse cursor.

On topic:

For me it actually was smart phones. I had fidgeted around with PDAs, I had those awful Windows Mobile phones  as a work phone in the mid 00s. When the iPohone initially came I got it because it was an iPod and an phone, and just intended to use it as an iPod phone (I've always had an personal phone parallel to my work phone), well I guess Apple actually did smart phones right, I still use iPod functionality a lot on my iPhone and I use it as a PDA, but the thing I probably do the least on it is use it as a phone to make calls. 

Have you ever used hot corners? You flick the cursor into a corner of the screen to perform a function. It's the partial answer to touchpad gestures, but idk if Windows does it.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

7 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Have you ever used hot corners? You flick the cursor into a corner of the screen to perform a function. It's the partial answer to touchpad gestures, but idk if Windows does it.

at least on MacOS it's not the same thing, also requires a lot of mouse movement that is cumbersome when not using a real mouse (in example a trackpoint or touchpad) and not to convinient scroll or zoom. 

ACC (Automatic cruise control). For someone like me who drives 70+km each day for work it's one of the best things any of my cars ever brought to the table. I've never looked out for it when buying a new car and i was just lucky my current car has it, but i definetly will look out for it in my future cars.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Two things:

Keyboard shortcuts: I discovered them when I was in grade 3 and thought why would anyone ever use this instead of a mouse and I spent the whole of the next computer class learning them and I cannot live without them now also man it was so cool to flex on the other kids by using alt+tab.

GPS: My dad hated the idea of having a GPS inbuilt into his car until my mom and I bought him one for his birthday, he has since never used google maps for driving.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

On 3/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Touchscreens overall. And I would still prefer T9 keyboard layout.

Oh my god I miss T9. Might be nostalgia but there's also the fact I suck at touchscreen typing.. 

I think fast charging. Heats up the phone more, and it's not great for the battery.

Fast forward, and now it was one of the reasons for me choosing the Oneplus 8T, despite its shortcomings

:)

Wireless charging and to a lesser extent Bluetooth earphones. Before I started using wireless chargers it seemed like they fixed (using that term loosely) such an insignificant problem that it wasn’t worth it, I mean how hard is it to plug in a cable? Now that I’ve been using them though I don’t see my self going back to charging with a cable unless it’s needed in some situation. I know they aren’t as efficient or as fast, but I’d rather use a bit more power to have the convenience of just plopping the phone down on a pad at the end of the day.

DVDs. Who remembers seeing the players in stores for $1k+?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Well the first color LCD's came out very long time ago, but the  wide spread started in 2000s. Most of them sucked.

Now I'm using a 280Hz  IPS and though some aspects were better on CRT, I still love it.

Also smartphones. Used 3 years one now. It's pretty cool.

I edit my posts more often than not

1. Force feedback on steering wheels, after using a even more expensive one before for a long without force feedback built in.

2. The invention of tabs in a browser, back then we always had to use a single window for each site (I recall around Pentium 4 era).

3. The time IE finally become obsolete.

4. Any HD TV that came out after the invention of ugly, grainy and power-sucking plasma HD Ready TVs.

5. Phone touchscreens that became actually sensitive after those touchscreens where you had to really push or use your nail to get it to work.

PS5 DualSense Charging Station

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

Oh yeah, I think musescore, and other sheet music writing programs also were a bit of a surprise of how good they were. 

woah, it's a signature

27 minutes ago, FRD said:

1. Force feedback on steering wheels, after using a even more expensive one before for a long without force feedback built in.

2. The invention of tabs in a browser, back then we always had to use a single window for each site (I recall around Pentium 4 era).

3. The time IE finally become obsolete.

4. Any HD TV that came out after the invention of ugly, grainy and power-sucking plasma HD Ready TVs.

5. Phone touchscreens that became actually sensitive after those touchscreens where you had to really push or use your nail to get it to work.

Id have to say the upgrade from tube box TV's to hd flat screen was one of my biggest jumps to hdmi everything was my biggest cant live without it tech next to touch screen on mobile devices