21H1 Windows 10 Update Announced - Out Now!

summary

It's that time of the year again, Microsoft will soon release, a new version of Windows 10.

Codename 21H1 the new update will feature....  nothing really. Normally, they are new features, but this time, they are absolutely minor, which is also what we got last year with 20H2.

This proves the entire developer team is doing one of these three things:

• working mostly on Sun Valley
  • working mostly on Windows 10X (Microsoft's competitor to ChromeOS that isn't announced yet but everyone knows about)
  • working mostly on nothing

Mostly bug fixes, here are the entire list of new features:

• Windows Hello multicamera support to set the default as the external camera when both external and internal Windows Hello cameras are present.
  • Windows Defender Application Guard performance improvements including optimizing document opening scenario times.
  • Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) updating performance improvement to support remote work scenarios.

see the entire[ly small amount of] details below:

• Windows Hello multicamera support to set the default as the external camera when both external and internal Windows Hello cameras are present.
  • Windows Defender Application Guard performance improvements including optimizing document opening scenario times.
  • Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) updating performance improvement to support remote work scenarios.

here's more from the blog

Based on feedback and learnings during the past year of extensive remote work, learning and play, version 21H1 will be delivered with servicing technology (like that used for the monthly update process and how 20H2 was delivered).  Windows 10, version 21H1 will have a scoped set of features improving security, remote access and quality. The features we are releasing in this update are focused on the core experiences that customers have told us they’re relying on most right now. So, we optimized this release to support our customers’ most pressing needs.

Customers running either Windows 10, version 2004 or version 20H2 who choose to update to the new release will have a fast installation experience because the update will install like a monthly update.  For consumer or commercial users coming from versions of Windows 10 earlier than the May 2020 Update (version 2004), the process of updating to the new release will be the same as it has been and will work in a similar manner to previous Windows 10 feature updates, using the same tools and processes. As this Windows 10 release is targeted for the first half of 2021, all Windows 10 editions of version 21H1 will receive 18 months of servicing.

Our multilayered approach to the development and launch of feature updates continues and includes fully leveraging the Windows Insider Program to obtain user feedback and data insights on quality. We will begin releasing 21H1 builds to Windows Insiders in the Beta channel today to those Insiders who seek to opt in, and new features will be offered in future Windows Insider Preview Builds as they are ready.  Broad availability of Windows 10, version 21H1 will begin later in the first half of this calendar year, and we will provide more information on the release and how to get it as we get closer to the launch of this next feature update.

what's next for windows 10?

Project Sun Valley. A big project, known only as rumors.

Summarizing the rumors, Sun Valley seems to be going full in with Fluent Design, dropping Metro (the design language, not the transportation service!). This is supported by leaks from Microsoft showing screenshots in documentations and marketing materials that don't quite match up with what we have.

One of the more notable change is... rounded corners on UI elements. Yeah, that design choice Microsoft had been avoiding like the plague.

Even today, we have hints of UI changes, as seen in the new Edge web browser and in some apps.

thoughts/opinions

No changes here that will affect me at all... let's hope the bug fixes will... fix things?

links

Introducing the next feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1 | Windows Experience Blog

Edited by wall03
edit the third - did some things like formatting

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 big flaw remains: it's still Windows 😉

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

31 minutes ago, wall03 said:

let's hope they fix some of the bugs at least!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh wait...you're serious?

This IS microsoft we're talking about right?

Those idiots never fix bugs, they only introduce new ones.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

considering my windows last time it attempted to install new updates "couldn't finish the updates" and bootlooped 3 days in a row I am not excited

I'd like to know when they properly adress their HDR implementation, so i don't have to keep switching it on and off depending on what games i play.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I’ll stick to 1909 until they force me to update. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Fairly small update, but it's not bad.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I mean it will probably introduce new bugs. I will stay at my version 2004 for quite a sometime

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Wheel Of fortune: What will this update break?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Our sanity 🙂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh wait...you're serious?

This IS microsoft we're talking about right?

Those idiots never fix bugs, they only introduce new ones.

Which is the exact damn reason why I still use Windows 7!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd like to know when they properly adress their HDR implementation, so i don't have to keep switching it on and off depending on what games i play.

This. The colour is so ass

When are they going to start unifying everything? It's like 3 different OSs. Can I have a single UI, please?

18 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Which is the exact damn reason why I still use Windows 7!

You might find Windows 9 to be a real, worthwhile upgrade for you. I use it, bloody fantastic OS.

https://www.eastcoast.hosting/Windows9/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I kinda like that Microsoft have moved away from the "we are going to ship 2 major updates every year, no matter how finished or buggy they are!" to the more mellow and small updates they have released lately.

This seems like yet another polish update with probably some minor stuff under the hood.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I kinda like that Microsoft have moved away from the "we are going to ship 2 major updates every year, no matter how finished or buggy they are!" to the more mellow and small updates they have released lately.

This seems like yet another polish update with probably some minor stuff under the hood.

I suspect there has been some pushback from corporations and OEM vendors about the pace of features.

8 hours ago, wall03 said:

Summary

Windows 21H1 will focus on improving remote experiences (because of WFH and all that)

Quotes

My thoughts

No changes here that will affect me at all... let's hope they do something

Sources

Introducing the next feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1 | Windows Experience Blog

Congratulation's! You have been selected in handling Windows 10 version release news on this forum!

Ah, so much time saved on my side! 🙂  It's been 5 years I have been doing this. Lengthy writes ups, analysis and screenshots... hours of work actually, twice a year. Glad someone can take this role over. Now, I can relax and play some games, like seriously. 😄

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Congratulation's! You have been volunteered in handling Windows 10 version release news on this forum!

Ah, so much time 

I saw that he beat you to it lol. Your twice a year posts are the highlight of my year on this forum.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Congratulation's! You have been selected in handling Windows 10 version release news on this forum!

Ah, so much time saved on my side! 🙂  It's been 5 years I have been doing this. Lengthy writes ups, analysis and screenshots... hours of work actually, twice a year. Glad someone can take this role over. Now, I can relax and play some games, like seriously. 😄

I wish you had done it... your post looks so much better than mine. Oh well... I accept the transfer of Power

Mind if I steal a paragraph or 2?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Goodbyte to you doing windows updates?

✨FNIGE✨

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Pretty much this..... Plus prep your debloat scripts, they are going to be needed.

20 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Goodbyte to you doing windows updates?

I am on the Insider builds of Windows 10, Dev channel. In other words, I am on what will become 21H2, the version coming up at the end of the year. Yes, it has some nice changes so far.

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I’ll stick to 1909 until they force me to update. 

1909 will be EOLed on May 11, 2021. So while you can continue to use it, don't expect support from Microsoft. You'll be left in the cold, and Microsoft's official "fix" will be to upgrade to a build that's still supported such as 2004 or newer.

16 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I’ll stick to 1809 until they release windows 11

yeah... same... 👀

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder