21H1 Windows 10 Update Announced - Out Now!

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Where did you find them? I'd like to do that but I'm having trouble finding anything older than 1909.

Anytime a new build of Windows 10 is released, I use the Media Creation tool to generate the ISO. I never gotten around to cleaning up my ISO folder.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

MacOS has its own set of problems. Better to stick with the devil you know.

Outside of Catalina. MacOS has very few bugs. And the ones I have found haven’t been as bad as the ones I have had in Windows. Big Sur runs like a champ on my MacBook Pro. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Outside of Catalina. MacOS has very few bugs. And the ones I have found haven’t been as bad as the ones I have had in Windows. Big Sur runs like a champ on my MacBook Pro. 

Did they finally fix the SMB issues connecting to Windows shares??! It's been an ongoing problem for at least the past 8 years.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:13 AM, Radium_Angel said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh wait...you're serious?

This IS microsoft we're talking about right?

Those idiots never fix bugs, they only introduce new ones.

Its not a bug its a feature 🤪

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

See, this is why it confuses me. I never ever got asked about that. It just updates seamlessly. Only times I got that was when I was either refreshing installation of Windows 10 or updating it from ISO. And I update this way basically on every major update because I don't want to wait for weeks to get it regular way via Windows Update.

This is the 1st time it is refusing to upgrade, and it gives 0 reason why it wont let me keep files and apps.....

/EDIT

sfc /scannow fixed whatever its issue was.....

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

This is the 1st time it is refusing to upgrade, and it gives 0 reason why it wont let me keep files and apps.....

/EDIT

I literally have sfc /scannow scheduled to run every night as automatic scheduled task. One would think Windows keeps integrity in check automatically, but from the looks of it that's not the case. Bizarre.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I literally have sfc /scannow scheduled to run every night as automatic scheduled task. One would think Windows keeps integrity in check automatically, but from the looks of it that's not the case. Bizarre.

Works fine for me.

The problem with these upgrades is that you need the battery fully charged on laptops otherwise if there is a firmware update required, it won't update the firmware, and thus won't update the OS.

I've installed 21h1 on my desktop and higher-end laptop from a usb image and both seem fine.

They should honestly make it more modular...there's so much junk most people don't ever need that's shipped with the system...even if you're a power user, you still stick to some kind of power usage, not a single person needs absolutely everything that's enabled and part of the OS by default.

The OS isn't as light as it used to be and if they cut down things, make them easily installable via powershell or the "add additional features" module it'd be a good thing imo.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I literally have sfc /scannow scheduled to run every night as automatic scheduled task.

That would restore components i forcibly removed because i dont need them.... (cortana, wu, etc)

12 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Recently I had to do some offline installs, with fresh download of 20H2. At the end the Edge promotion thing reported an error and apparently had to reset my browser, and sfc /scannow reported and corrected errors. This was repeatable two on two installs. What are you doing Microsoft?

Anyway, I see the 21H1 update offered on some systems now. I've installed it on one and can't say I notice any difference. That's a good thing. It's a small update more like a monthly patch so the pain was minimal.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

We only just started updating a bank of computers to 20H2 over the last few weeks, and literally the last computer to be updated, wanted to jump to 21H1 instead.

Now, the update does look fairly minimal, but for a corporate environment we normally like to keep a version behind, at least until it's been out for 6 months or so.

On a side note, holy fuck the 2004 -> 20H2 update was fast. I was shocked and thought it might have been broken at first. I'm glad that the 21H1 update is just as fast. I hope they keep that up, because that makes doing feature updates less of a pain in my ass.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

We only just started updating a bank of computers to 20H2 over the last few weeks, and literally the last computer to be updated, wanted to jump to 21H1 instead.

Now, the update does look fairly minimal, but for a corporate environment we normally like to keep a version behind, at least until it's been out for 6 months or so.

On a side note, holy fuck the 2004 -> 20H2 update was fast. I was shocked and thought it might have been broken at first. I'm glad that the 21H1 update is just as fast. I hope they keep that up, because that makes doing feature updates less of a pain in my ass.

Fun fact, the last 2 updates were actually delivered in parts before but just disabled. The update you download only gets the last bit of stuff (and anything possibly missing), and enables the updates previously downloaded. The term used by Microsoft is 'enablement package’ release. Microsoft has done this due to the complaints of Windows Update taking a long time to get and install.

So, they are a cheating in a way, by spreading the load of an update. I guess it is a solution that works... 

I wonder if it is in the plans to implements Windows 10X update system, which is more similar to phone updates, where it downloads and install the OS in a separate partition, transfers everything, and switches to that partition.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I wonder if it is in the plans to implements Windows 10X update system, which is more similar to phone updates, where it downloads and install the OS in a separate partition, transfers everything, and switches to that partition.

Well it already kinda does that just uses folders instead of partitions.

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11