It was only a matter of time: WhatsApp to start compulsory information sharing with Facebook

tim0901

WhatsApp is changing its privacy policy with wording which will remove users' ability to prevent the service from sharing their personal data with Facebook.

Since 2016, users have had the one-time ability to prevent WhatsApp from sharing information with Facebook when they first signed up. This ability is being removed when this new privacy policy is enforced in February, with WhatsApp sharing data with Facebook becoming a condition for use of the app.

Current users of the app are therefore being shown an ultimatum: accept or stop using our service.

Some of the data collected by WhatsApp is:

• User phone numbers
  • Other people’s phone numbers stored in address books
  • Profile names
  • Profile pictures and
  • Status message including when a user was last online
  • Diagnostic data collected from app logs

Under the new rules, WhatsApp may share data that they collect with the "Facebook Companies", which includes  Facebook Payments, Facebook Technologies (Oculus), CrowdTangle and Onavo.

Those who are in the "European Region" - including the EEA and UK - are also being required to accept a new privacy policy, however due to EU data protection laws their privacy policy is different. These services are provided by WhatsApp Ireland Limited, rather than WhatsApp LLC.

9to5Mac are reporting that Europeans are not affected by this change:

The new privacy policy also doesn’t apply in Europe due to stronger privacy legislation there.

however I cannot verify this myself. All I know is that I personally have been asked to accept a new policy as someone in the "European Region".

Users have until the 8th of February 2021 to accept the changes, at which time the new policies will come into force.

My thoughts

Fuck Facebook. I hope that the EU gets involved in this - one of the conditions of WhatsApp's sale back in 2014 was that they did not share any information with Facebook. This is a clear breach of that. Unfortunately, I doubt that they actually will in any meaningful way.

Fuck Facebook

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/whatsapp-users-must-share-their-data-with-facebook-or-stop-using-the-app/

https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/06/whatsapp-share-your-data-with-facebook/

WhatsApp worldwide legal updates: https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/updates/key-updates

WhatsApp Europe legal updates: https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/updates/key-updates-eea

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Well they did pay around 2 000 000 000 dollars for it.
Im surprised it took them this long to gather the Whatsapp data as well.
Since data is money today...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Again and again: time to either split these giants or kill them, before they get unstoppable.

Sadly this onion article is more likely to happen. Facebook has probably one of the strongest lobbying initiatives than any company in the US.

Facebook Announces Plan To Break Up U.S. Government Before It Becomes Too Powerful

MENLO PARK, CA—In an effort to curtail the organization’s outsized influence, Facebook announced Monday that it would be implementing new steps to ensure the breakup of the U.S. government before it becomes too powerful. “It’s long past time for us to take concrete actions against this behemoth of governance that has gone essentially unchecked since its inception,” said Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, noting that while the governing body may have begun with good intentions, its history showed a culture of recklessness and a dangerous disregard for the consequences of its decisions. “Unfortunately, those at the top have been repeatedly contemptuous of the very idea of accountability or reform, and our only remaining course is to separate the government into smaller chunks to prevent it from forming an even stronger monopoly over the public.” Zuckerberg closed his remarks with repeated assurances that despite a likely legal battle ahead, no one government could stand up to the fortitude of Facebook.

https://www.theonion.com/facebook-announces-plan-to-break-up-u-s-government-bef-1844121902

I deleted Facebook when Zuckerberg was pulled in front of senators and he acted like a robot/alien. So creepy. Billions of dollars, all the user data in the world, and the best programmers still cant get Zuckerberg a personality. 

SE Asians:

tenor.gif?itemid=8286867

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Other people’s phone numbers stored in address books

WTF is this. That is not ok. I cant even switch off whatsapp because it is so widely used in my country.

Then again they might have been doing it long ago and just chose to tell us now not far fetched considering facbooks history.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

I haven't used facebook for a long time, but still keep it, just in case.But well, it's time to permanently delete it I guess.

I don't use Facebook, I don't wanna go near that thing, but unfortunately, I can't drop Whatsapp; my mum and most of my relatives use it and there's just a whole, total chance of nil for me to be able to push them to anything else.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Like many others already mentioned, i don't want to have anything to do with facebook and i don't even have an account. But there is absolutely no chance i can get everyone like my family and friends to switch to something else... I didn't yet receive any notification from whatsapp about this, so maybe this doesn't apply (yet) in germany. Seeing as this is also breaking one of the terms under which facebook bought up WhatsApp, and 99% of people not being able to switch due to not having a real alternative, this is an absolute no-go!

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Those who are in the "European Region" - including the EEA and UK - are also being required to accept a new privacy policy, however due to EU data protection laws their privacy policy is different. These services are provided by WhatsApp Ireland Limited, rather than WhatsApp LLC.

hey this is the first place where this is mentioned, thanks.

I noticed that the arstechnica article showed a different notice than mine. Only the first two bullets are visible in the EU. When looking at the privacy statement from my phone and pc browser nothing like that list is shown to me so I guess that is confirmed.

spacer.png

Just saw the notice once I opened the app. Scummy, I'm in EU so yeah maybe and hopefully they collect limited amount as mentioned but yeah. It's just like, buy a very popular app, once you get even more people integrated, modify the terms that everyone just click "Agree" because of course they do and everything relays on it and is already set up.

To add it's also hard to convince people to just use another app. Like Viber though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

What's Facebook going to learn about you from whatsapp that they don't already know from Facebook?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

How many of the people berating Whatsapp/Facebook on here are actually going to stop using their services?

That's the problem. People are so heavily invested in it the platform that they won't give it up. It's as close as it gets to an addiction, and Facebook know that they can leech off this, so they do.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What's Facebook going to learn about you from whatsapp that they don't already know from Facebook?

I think the dangerous thing is people who have multiple accounts, and require one to be a bit more private.

If you  used WhatsApp, you are now connected and in other platforms like Instagram and Facebook you might start getting "suggested" friends.  I know someone that happened when Instagram did that.  They had 2 accounts and main one, and one that was kept separate.  Facebook had associated both accounts being held to the same owner, and started recommend the second (meant to be discrete account) to other friends/family.

I don't mind data mining for targeted ads, and doing background work on someone...but Facebook really takes things too far in terms of data mining, in my opinion...things like recommended friend suggestions can put people at real risk (when it's important to have an account no linked)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Now if only people used that energy to storm government buildings to storm Tech Company HQs to demand more ethical practices.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I mean Facebook already knew all of my personal data before I had a whatsapp account sooooooooo.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Damn, Zucc must be Succing on dat Data 24/7

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

How many of the people berating Whatsapp/Facebook on here are actually going to stop using their services?

That's the problem. People are so heavily invested in it the platform that they won't give it up. It's as close as it gets to an addiction, and Facebook know that they can leech off this, so they do.

That's the reason for the slow burn. In a lot of instances, you can't stop using the platform. There might be a slow migration to other ones, but that's why you establish something good then to twist it later. Granted, this was always coming when Facebook paid WAY too much for WhatsApp.

20 hours ago, Caroline said:

Of course you can.

like my mum used to say: if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?

Yeah ive heard that plenty too.
Sending her this picture shut her up tho.

Also telling her i'd gonna go bungie-jumping with my friends... :D

Screenshot_14.png

I‘m really surprised they didn’t already do that

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 1/6/2021 at 8:54 PM, HanZie82 said:

Well they did pay around 2 000 000 000 dollars for it.
Im surprised it took them this long to gather the Whatsapp data as well.
Since data is money today...

The sad thing is, I can't believe targeted ads are that effective.  Everyone says data about us is so valuable to advertisers, but I just can't see it.  I don't know anyone that just blind clicks on ads.  Not even my mom or in laws that know nothing about computers don't click on ads.  Where is that data really going?

And just so people understand, if you get something for nothing online, YOU are the product.  

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

11 minutes ago, TargetDron3 said:

The sad thing is, I can't believe targeted ads are that effective.  Everyone says data about us is so valuable to advertisers, but I just can't see it.  I don't know anyone that just blind clicks on ads.  Not even my mom or in laws that know nothing about computers don't click on ads.  Where is that data really going?

And just so people understand, if you get something for nothing online, YOU are the product.  

That last sentence; Golden!

But yeah i dont get it either, maybe its older ppl paying that shit not knowing what is what.

But yeah there is a great divide between internetters and the advertising companies. Those vile and ignorant scammy idiots do make the internets an awful place to be.
Luckily i have adblockers up the wazoo.

(Already got rid of TV because of all the vile advertising I want none of it!)

43 minutes ago, TargetDron3 said:

My understanding is that a lot of it is far more subtle than that. They're not necessarily trying to get you to click on that ad immediately, but to get their name in your head so that if and when you do want to buy something of that category, they're one of the people you might consider as a "hey I've heard of them before". It's not necessarily about producing sales at that moment, but about creating an image of their brand and what they're about, like an investment for the future.

LTT ad spots do this a lot - an ad spot for Micro Center is never going to get me to immediately run out the door and buy something there, but next time I'm interested in buying computer components, their name might pop up as a possible place to go (if I lived in the US that is). Same with Squarespace if I ever decided to build a website, or dbrand the next time I'm looking for a phone case.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB