SSD Revisions of same product show dissimilar and lacking performance

rezqme

Not-So-Solid State: SSD Makers Swap Parts Without Telling Us

Buying SSD storage can be an uncalculated risk

Author: Sean Webster

Originally posted: Dec 1, 2020

Summary

In a review of ADATA's 1TB M.2 XPG SX8200 Pro SSDs Tom's Hardware writer Sean Webster found disturbing variances in performance within the model's revisions (V1, V2, V3). The deeper dive found that many components and firmware settings were different among the revisions that yielded slower performance (especially in write performance) across the benchmark suite conducted.

Quotes

"For both of the newer SX8200 Pro variants we tested, the revisions performed much slower than the original. The v2 variant was close in terms of sequential performance but fell short in every test thrown at it."

My thoughts

The article takes on a great point that drive manufacturers (in this case ADATA) need to be greater transparency when they make hardware changes in their products. The storage universe is a great example of how hardware changes can affect the consumer in not-so friendly ways, remember the Western Digital Red Drives going to SMR write technology and not getting a new label? Many of us may already be aware of how the NAND flash memory market has evolved over the years with SLC>MLC>TLC> and now DRAMless QLC drives getting larger and cheaper but not necessarily "better" but for those new to the scene this can be confusing and prohibitive to adoption or purchase satisfaction. 

I enjoyed that the author is well versed enough to discuss the finer intricacies of the situation being a product of the supply chain of current parts available and would read his work again. 

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts

nothing new. done before by larger companies.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

this is essentially true of "cheapskate brands" 

There's a reason why Samsung and co cost more, and that's reliable quality. 

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

for a high end SSD

I wouldn't call Kingston high end but ok! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, comander said:

It's not going to matter much unless it's a caching drive in a server application... and this device shouldn't be used as such for a multitude of reasons. 

If you're defining performance based on SLAs related to application load times... virtual tie. Similarish story for loading a directory in windows. There will be some cases involving large file transfers where it'll be slower but for most people that's rare. 

If you are in a situation where performance and responsiveness matter THAT much... you probably want to tier an optane drive (118+ GB) ahead of this and/or some RAM. 

It's not the point though. How is a savvy consumer meant to know what the heck they are buying when companies pull this shit?

You never know someones use case, its kinda like SMR / CMR all over again.

There should be regulations in-place preventing drastic product changes without a clear change of product name.

1 hour ago, Abyssal Radon said:

While this is super shitty of Adata, surely there are other companies behaving similarly? This is why I have a couple of cheap ass SSD's that has nothing but game's on them and really don't need the 'ultimate' performance for loading games. 

Most do. Only one that really isn't is Samsung with their top-line parts.

Main thing is that the SX8200 Pro is one of the best consumer SSDs, so it gets looked at a lot more.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

most companies are pretty scummy these days when they know they can get away with it.

most all companies ;)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

5 hours ago, Rune said:

Not too surprising from Adata. Really, most companies are pretty scummy these days when they know they can get away with it.

These days?  They have gotten worse I suppose.  There was a law instituted a few years ago the effect of which is that it more or less requires a CEO of a publicly traded company to behave in the most absolutely venal way possible or s/he can be sued by a shareholder.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My SX8200 Pro failed. My replacement had the slightly slower controller. Still no where near as bad as the Kingston SSD Now V300 debacle. Inferior controllers and NAND, with performance being flat out worse unless the files were highly compressible.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Revisions these days don't mean product improvements, but the level they can cheap out on product and still get away with it. And since all reviews are usually done with Revision 1 of any product, people base their purchases on those reviews that don't necessarily reflect the performance of later revisions. It's pretty scummy tacting, but works in favor of companies and not consumers.

I don't think it will really matter but that kinda scummy as I bought a sx8200 pro for 100 on best buys website on black friday.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Revisions these days don't mean product improvements, but the level they can cheap out on product and still get away with it. And since all reviews are usually done with Revision 1 of any product, people base their purchases on those reviews that don't necessarily reflect the performance of later revisions. It's pretty scummy tacting, but works in favor of companies and not consumers.

I'm not sure how true this is.

Between all the laptops I've done maintenance on, the SSD's of the same brand (Hynix, Samsung, Toshiba) all perform similarly if they're the same capacity and type (eg XG50 != XG60) and these are the ones I see the most often. Dell also has firmware updates for Western Digital, Seagate, Micron, and Sandisk SSD's but I've yet to see these in a stock laptop.

The only thing that is really true is that Samsung never updates their firmware on the drives they sell OEM's. So if you have a Samsung PM981, no firmware update will ever exist. Toshiba has had the most firmware updates for their drives.

Machines with bigger SSD's are faster, and stay faster longer, and usually people working out of the last 10% of the drive complain about slowness the most frequently.

Adata, AFAIK, mixes other vendors parts, like think about those store brands you see in stores like best buy. If you peel the labels on their parts you'll probably find different brands on the part with the same part name. But that's just one of the reasons why I've avoided this brand except for throw-away parts.

Looks like @VEXICUSSSD List may need a revision too then.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is essentially true of "cheapskate brands" 

There's a reason why Samsung and co cost more, and that's reliable quality. 

I wouldn't call Kingston high end but ok! 

This makes sense when applied to SSD's, but not HDD's. I've got a dieing Seagate 3TB drive with very little time on it, and I'm pretty disappoint. It's out of warranty, since it's been sitting on a shelf for most of it's life, waiting for me to build a PC to put it in, and now... Clicking. Constant, repetitive clicking.

Anyway... Back in the day, I went for the Marvell controllers, since they had better reviews. Now, I just go for... Well, I'm not sure. I just picked my Corsair MP600 because it was in stock. And... Fast. I don't know, I wouldn't even consider an Adata anything. The reviews and such I looked at when going for an NVMe drive were all not very good, and that turned me away from it, even with the lower price.

The 'cost paring' isn't unique to SSD's, though. Auto manufacturers do this. Mercedes Benz sold a car with brake by wire; each caliper was two separate braking systems, with redundant hydraulic pumps, redundant wiring, extra sensors, etc., with full manual hydraulic backup (brake by hydraulic, ie, conventional brakes). By the time Toyota makes brake by wire in a freaking Prius, or whatever, it'll be the cheapest, easiest to mass produce, and least redundant system possible, until a few people die, then they'll add some token redundancy and call it good.

At least, with an SSD, all you're losing is some data, not your life...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

16 minutes ago, Sarra said:

This makes sense when applied to SSD's, but not HDD's. I've got a dieing Seagate 3TB drive with very little time on it, and I'm pretty disappoint. It's out of warranty, since it's been sitting on a shelf for most of it's life, waiting for me to build a PC to put it in, and now... Clicking. Constant, repetitive clicking.

Anyway... Back in the day, I went for the Marvell controllers, since they had better reviews. Now, I just go for... Well, I'm not sure. I just picked my Corsair MP600 because it was in stock. And... Fast. I don't know, I wouldn't even consider an Adata anything. The reviews and such I looked at when going for an NVMe drive were all not very good, and that turned me away from it, even with the lower price.

The 'cost paring' isn't unique to SSD's, though. Auto manufacturers do this. Mercedes Benz sold a car with brake by wire; each caliper was two separate braking systems, with redundant hydraulic pumps, redundant wiring, extra sensors, etc., with full manual hydraulic backup (brake by hydraulic, ie, conventional brakes). By the time Toyota makes brake by wire in a freaking Prius, or whatever, it'll be the cheapest, easiest to mass produce, and least redundant system possible, until a few people die, then they'll add some token redundancy and call it good.

Word of advice with NVME SSD (especially Adata ones): Never BCLK overclock - the controller will die. Adata was lying when they were saying that the SX8200 Pro was good for overclockers / overclocking.

PMSL

I remember this happening when NAND flash moved from the 34nm to the 25nm manufacturing process.

A lot of SSD companies updated their models to use 25nm flash, which was slightly slower than the 34nm versions. Some companies like Corsair decided to change their model names slightly, but some did not.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/pl/blog/force25nm

-kingston v300 flashback-

pitchfork time?? no?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

-kingston v300 flashback-

pitchfork time?? no?

The difference in benchmarks is very minor...and its only the controller not the NAND. The NAND Kingston switched to was vastly inferior to what reviewers got.

PMSL

5 hours ago, Sarra said:

General Motors is the worst about it. Cents on the dollar of material saved that literally costed human lives; all 124 of them. This caused 30 MILLION recalls of which also they settled out $900,000,000. And to add insult to injury, they knew of the problem a full decade before the recall!!

So yeah, caveat emptor (buyer beware). And now you've been made aware of how shitty a company GM is.

...but at least ADATA didn't cause a fatality because a game loaded a little slower. /s

14 hours ago, f1ght43v3r said:

I remember this being a problem with Kingston V300 SSD's back in the day too. 

I do too. Also I only remember V300, because of it's many problems.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.