A lot of android users could be switching to iphone because of long term support and privacy

404NAMEN0TF0UND

iphone has LTS? I switched from iphone 4 to Android Note2 because the iphone got an update that slowed it down. It definitely had zero support after the next iphone came out. Right now I daily a Note 8 and it still is fast AF and gets updates.

Just now, staticpage said:

iphone has LTS? I switched from iphone 4 to Android Note2 because the iphone got an update that slowed it down. It definitely had zero support after the next iphone came out.

I got an android update (the last one I ever did) years ago, it halved battery life, just like that... from about 48 hours to barely 24...

Good luck! ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I got an android update (the last one I ever did) years ago, it halved battery life, just like that... from about 48 hours to barely 24...

Good luck! ~

I have a 3-4 yo Note 8 RN it's fine, just got a new update now it has macro zoom for magnifying app that is insane. I used it to solder a new backlight filter on a iphone 6s crap for the 5th time.

8 minutes ago, staticpage said:

iphone has LTS? I switched from iphone 4 to Android Note2 because the iphone got an update that slowed it down. It definitely had zero support after the next iphone came out. Right now I daily a Note 8 and it still is fast AF and gets updates.

iPhones used to slow down a lot because Apple kept pushing software that was bloated in comparison to the hardware it was running on. Imagine running Windows 10 on a P3 with 512 MB of RAM, that's how iOS 9 felt on the iPhone 4S.

But now Apple is building so much headroom into their silicon. Wonder why Apple has held the crown of fastest phone SOC for the past 4-5 years? Long Term Support. The A14 is way more than what most people will need, but in 5-6 years when software updates get pushed down to that chip, you're gonna be thankful that all that headroom was built in advance.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

it's really funny, all Sony phones before the Xperia Z4 were really solid, robust, cheap for what you got, etc. they also copied iphone pretty much 1:1 design wise (z1-z3 at least)... and no one seemed to like them... now all android phones are kinda cheap looking, boring , with bad batteries that don't last more than 2-3 years...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You need to market to consumers as well. People don’t really care to know what Snapdragon processor is good or how much Ram they need in a phone. They care more about what experience they will get, and will keep getting. 

3 hours ago, BuckGup said:

That's simply not true and everyone knows that. I don't have to root my iPhone to uninstall Facebook lol

Another point to Android then lol

Edit I misread it

Edited by piratemonkey

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Another point to Android then lol

having to root to uninstall facebook from android is good for them?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

having to root to uninstall facebook from android is good for them?

Misread whoops. But you can disable it, which is effectively uninstalling

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

10 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Misread whoops. But you can disable it, which is effectively uninstalling

but its still there, taking up your precious megabytes.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

That's the problem, you have two different options and both of them suck for a different reason. If you want to have your phone for around six years you definitely want an iPhone but if you want to be able to do anything on your phone you want to buy an Android phone. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Lions said:

pple are NOT perfect. Their products and software are just plain bang average at best. I'm not an 'Andriod fanboy' or 'Apple hater'

Your right. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Lions said:

I just don't understand the hype behind their products/software.

The experience is pretty well polished. They are easier to use in some cases. I own an iPhone and MacBook and the fact I can make calls and read texts on my computer is really helpful. But there are quite a few downsides to iOS or MacOS as well. At the end it all comes down to the experience your looking for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

without a custom os, like linage os. Technically, I could run android 10 on my 2013 nexus 7.

Due to the kernel changes...you're really stuck with 7.1.2...just like my TF700T and TF201.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wouldn't trade my freedom on the platform, being able to use whichever store I want, sideloading, install third party firmware(and kernels), root and what not, for a Walled Garden, just for the sake of "longterm support" (LineageOS is a thing, among others) and "security".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, 3 Lions said:

I just don't understand the hype behind their products/software.

I didn't understand the hype behind Ampere either...

It's a popular product, let people hype and be excited about products they want to hype and be excited about.

4 hours ago, FmPhenom said:

Oh, because science and polling have never been wrong.

If considering is just as concrete fact as will, then I guess the many polls that showed the pc should be dead due to tablets came to fruition and 5 years ago Tom Brady was not gonna win another superbowl.

Like I asked , when the iPhone 12 comes out please show us the 33%. Or 30%  Hell I will spot you 25%

The real poll should be how many iPhone users will upgrade to the 12.

Haha. Sure there bud.

I see you're also refusing to acknowledge the fact that it never stated they're buying it, but rather that they'd consider it. Those are two different things.

But it doesn't fit your narrative, so...

3 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

The size of the phone itself is almost the same. The iPhone 11 Pro just has no home button or forehead. But in the hand they feel about the same.

Why would you be referencing that when that's not at all what I mentioned?

3 hours ago, BuckGup said:

That's simply not true and everyone knows that. I don't have to root my iPhone to uninstall Facebook lol

I mean, you can disable the FB app and it isn't installed on every Android phone.
I get what you mean though. It's rather frustrating. Since it can be disabled it's not something that bothers me though.

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

The size depends on the topic of the survey. Considering that Android phones are used by people from all over the world and therefore many factors change from product availability, income, needs.... It is a small fraction. 2000 would be more significant f you were surveying, say a brand of cereals based in the US.

It's not targeted at the ROW though, just the United States.

2 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Hahaha yeah they do much worse. OnePlus sells all of your data that your phone collects and the playstore is filled with malware. I mean Google's whole business plan is to sell your data. That's why most of their services are free

It's not like the Apple store is malware free, though, so that's kind of a moot point. It's not like you're guaranteed malware when you download something from the app store.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

46 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha. Sure there bud.

I see you're also refusing to acknowledge the fact that it never stated they're buying it, but rather that they'd consider it. Those are two different things.

Give it up bud.

And to quote myself I do believe that I did acknowledge that they consider it. I said they might switch.

7 hours ago, FmPhenom said:

Wow , a whopping 660 android users MIGHT switch to iPhone.

Again like I asked , when the iPhone 12 comes out show me  the 33%.of actual switches. Don't care if its  poll, graph, pie chart, smoke signal , tarot cards,  witchcraft, magic mirror or you saw it while eating alphabet soup.

I am sure that when the iPhone 13 comes out it will be the same article again.

My brief thoughts on Android OS / software / security updates, and what I personally think SHOULD be done...

OS updates: At minimum, should get next newer OS's until ... the lowest-end new phone that comes with the newest OS out-of-the-box has all of: a faster CPU, more RAM, more storage, etc.

Security updates: Should continue until pretty much all examples of that phone have had their hardware die, AND would be unrepairable even if you were handy with a soldering iron, etc.

For example, while my own T-Mobile G1 is dead, it might still be repairable if someone was skilled enough, which I'm not.  Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some working units out there, so I could see that phone still getting security updates, even if the feature updates stopped a few years ago.
My Galaxy S Relay 4G has the same RAM and storage as a phone that was recently released, which comes with Android 10.  (I imagine the newer phone's CPU might be faster, idk the difference between the Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon S4 Plus vs Mediatek MT6580 (28 nm).)

3 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

but its still there, taking up your precious megabytes.

If it's on your system partition (which it would be if you can't uninstall it), that's space you'd never get to use anyways as the system partition is set to read only inside Android. You need to be in a recovery mode, use ADB or root access to modify that partition.

As for me, I'd switch back to an iPhone if Apple made a phone similar to the Note line. I've been a Note user since the Note 8 and the S-Pen has changed how I use my phone. That's something I can't get with an iPhone.

1 hour ago, FmPhenom said:

Give it up bud.

And to quote myself I do believe that I did acknowledge that they consider it. I said they might switch.

Again like I asked , when the iPhone 12 comes out show me  the 33%.of actual switches. Don't care if its  poll, graph, pie chart, smoke signal , tarot cards,  witchcraft, magic mirror or you saw it while eating alphabet soup.

I am sure that when the iPhone 13 comes out it will be the same article again.

The fact you're demanding to see those actually come to fruition shows you don't really understand what you're talking about. But go off sis.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Thread cleaned a little.

Please remember that as per the Community Standards, trolling and flamebait are not allowed. This includes Apple vs. Android arguments; however because this discussion has been pretty civil so far we're willing to let it stay open for now.

That being said, the Community Standards still applies. Any personal attacks or insults in this thread will be removed and those who dished them out will be warned, and if things get too heated the thread itself will be closed.

Keep it friendly, please.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

>make poll

>US only

>2000 participants

>660 say somthing

>claim that that percentage reflects the entire userbase

>entire user base consisting of 1.6billion user spread accross the world

have a cookie

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm considering the switch to HarmonyOS but I'll stick with Android for now.  I will never go to iproducts as their functionality is locked to the lowest common denominator.  

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

The fact you're demanding to see those actually come to fruition shows you don't really understand what you're talking about. But go off 

Puhhhhlease. You are defending a "what if" poll with a "scientific" maybe , kinda sorta , if all the stars align and thanos didn't snap article. 

In the real world that stuff doesn't count.

That poll means nothing. 

I'm sure the people that would switch are ones that don't really utilize an Android to its full capacity. But in the same breath, these are usually people that go for $200 garbage phone and would likely never buy an iPhone anyway.