A lot of android users could be switching to iphone because of long term support and privacy

404NAMEN0TF0UND

SellCell surveyed 2000 (I know that's a small sample, so take this with a grain of salt) US based Android users and about a 3rd of them say they're considering switching to iphone 12. Reasons cited were long term support and privacy mainly, then features.

Quotes

The website (SellCell) surveyed 2000 US-based Android users to assess if camp loyalty is under threat and 33 percent of the respondents said the iPhone 12 could be their next device.

My thoughts

Linus was talking about how android phone makers need to figure out long term support during the last WAN show and it looks like if they don't they could start loosing a lot of customers over time. Hopefully something like this gets their attention. If a company could commit to even match Apple's support commitment, then that could win them a lot of market share from people who would have otherwise switched to iphone.

Sources

https://www.phonearena.com/news/iphone-12-android-users-survey_id127604

Edited by 404NAMEN0TF0UND
Clarity

I dunno about that buds. Most people on Android specifically either hate Apple, or don't want to shill out thousands of dollars on something that does the same thing as something else that only costs a few hundred. Most technically able people can get by on their own in terms of security and support.

I also feel like this could be some kinda ploy by Apple to make it seem as though there's more interest in them. This all could be fake too. Who knows.

I won't be...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

This is interesting. I'm kinda giggling due to the whole privacy thing. Out of the box, Androids are just as good as Apple (there's an argument as to who you're more comfortable with having your data) and they can be stripped down to the bare minimum given enough tweaking. 

Also, everything @TempestCatto is right. The only people who will give a crap about long term support (and support in general) are more technically able people who stay on top of updates. and most people care about privacy, just not enough to switch to apple

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Why would I, I can't customize the iPhone without jailbreaking or unnecessary work. I don't care so much about that stuff mentioned in the topic as long as I can use the phone and it works

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I dunno about that buds. Most people on Android specifically either hate Apple, or don't want to shill out thousands of dollars on something that does the same thing as something else that only costs a few hundred. Most technically able people can get by on their own in terms of security and support.

Like I said. 2000 is a small number, but I wouldn't be dismissive of the results. It's a sentiment I've shared with them because I hate throwing out a good phone because it's three years old. I especially considered getting the new iPhone SE for my mother because she is not tech savvy like you said. It's smart to want to appeal to many, not just the technically able. Besides, it would be another thing I just don't have to worry about.

Just now, 404NAMEN0TF0UND said:

2000 is a small number

A lot of android users

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

Do that many people *really* care about privacy? Like these people are the same people that use Facebook 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

But I can see why a lot of Android OEM's are starting to sweat. for the first time in a long time Apple has every corner of the phone space on lock.. Cheap Phone? iPhone SE. Hell, I saw some carriers doing deals where you'd get that phone for $100. It's a parts-bin phone, Apple doesn't care if they're margins aren't that high on it, they'll make it back in the App Store and Apple Music. Want a solid all-rounder phone? iPhone 11. Want the best Apple has to offer? Still choose the iPhone 11. Want a big phone? iPhone 11 Pro Max. Unlike 5 years ago, there is literally an iPhone for almost everyone, something Android OEM's used to shout loudly and proudly about.

Back to the actual topic though, I think that most of these people that answered in this survey just need to upgrade their phones, and have heard so many good things about iPhones like "privacy!" and "updates!" that they just regurgitated that in the survey. Especially true if it was a multiple choice survey and not a short answer one.

3 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Do that many people *really* care about privacy? Like these people are the same people that use Facebook 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

But I can see why a lot of Android OEM's are starting to sweat. for the first time in a long time Apple has every corner of the phone space on lock.. Cheap Phone? iPhone SE. Hell, I saw some carriers doing deals where you'd get that phone for $100. It's a parts-bin phone, Apple doesn't care if they're margins aren't that high on it, they'll make it back in the App Store and Apple Music. Want a solid all-rounder phone? iPhone 11. Want the best Apple has to offer? Still choose the iPhone 11. Want a big phone? iPhone 11 Pro Max. Unlike 5 years ago, there is literally an iPhone for almost everyone, something Android OEM's used to should loudly and proudly about.

Back to the actual topic though, I think that most of these people that answered in this survey just need to upgrade their phones, and have heard so many good things about iPhones like "privacy!" and "updates!" that they just regurgitated that in the survey. Especially true if it was a multiple choice survey and not a short answer one.

Mid range? 12 mini. (when it comes out)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

i've been saying this for years. support and updates is also the main reason i'm on iPhone. my iPhone 6s is 5 years old and still has the latest iOS for another year. you jsut can't get the latest software on an android phone after 5 years.

She/Her

2000 users is a tiny amount considering how many use android.  I wont be switching i wont go near IOS.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i've been saying this for years. support and updates is also the main reason i'm on iPhone. my iPhone 6s is 5 years old and still has the latest iOS for another year. you jsut can't get the latest software on an android phone after 5 years.

without a custom os, like linage os. Technically, I could run android 10 on my 2013 nexus 7.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I dunno about that buds. Most people on Android specifically either hate Apple, or don't want to shill out thousands of dollars on something that does the same thing as something else that only costs a few hundred.

I would disagree with the thousands of dollars comment. Especially when the most popular Android devices like the Galaxy S and Notes series are comparable in price to flagship iPhones. And besides, there is the iPhone SE which is a $399 US device. And that device is practically a flagship in of itself with the same SoC as the iPhone 11. You're telling me something like that on the Android side wouldn't be considered a good deal? 

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

without a custom os, like linage os. Technically, I could run android 10 on my 2013 nexus 7.

You could. But that's not the majority of Android users. It's like how Jailbreaking isn't really that popular outside of techies these days. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Let me just say once you try iOS and it's absolutely sublime updating and long term software support, it's hard to go back to shitty "3 years of updates at best" promises. Which in most cases end up being 2 years at best or just random "yeah well, the model X just happens to be Y so we're sacking it after just 1 year". Been there, seen that. I've gone through bunch of Android phones and they all had absolutely trash updating and long term software experience. It's just always something and it was driving me insane. With iOS, it just works. And not in Bethesda kinda way. And the customization BS is overhyped. In the end you always find out all that just breaks stuff and is always buggy and always ended up returning to stock launchers. People will always whine about it, but iOS is genuinely nice and people should stop listening to Android whiners. I was hesitating for ages just because of all those whiners selling bullshit to everyone. Went for it because I got rid of Google from my life and it's such a nice experience, nothing what people say it is.

Edited by Whiskers
Cleaning thread

first off apple only has privicy because it claims it owns the phone and all data on the phone even after its been paid for and thats a flat out lie secondly if they like to play games people like android better as there are more options and 3rd apple is just a big bully 

32 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

This is interesting. I'm kinda giggling due to the whole privacy thing. Out of the box, Androids are just as good as Apple (there's an argument as to who you're more comfortable with having your data) and they can be stripped down to the bare minimum given enough tweaking. 

Also, everything @TempestCatto is right. The only people who will give a crap about long term support (and support in general) are more technically able people who stay on top of updates. and most people care about privacy, just not enough to switch to apple

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Apple and Google handle privacy. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, 404NAMEN0TF0UND said:

The point of statistics and surveys is to generalize and extrapolate. No need to be sarcastic.

So you mean to tell me that out of the 125 million20201006_144433.thumb.jpg.312df1d8211dc28fb9d90f7295240729.jpg

of android users 660 is a dent to Samsung, LG, and the rest? When put into context like say 33%, sure that sounds like a whopping number. On the other hand , polling 2000 users...…..

Give me a break.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Apple and Google handle privacy. 

Elaborate

I'm not terribly surprised. The survey was done in the US, so of course more people are going to think about switching to iPhone. If you're on Android, you're considered somewhat of a pleb. You also have to look at the questions they asked. It basically shows that people don't really care about spec and price isn't really a huge decider. You also have to wonder where they polled people, as that can alter it quite significantly. Do these people know what software support means, or do they think it won't work once it's gone? If they aren't tech savvy, then most of the items won't matter to them and privacy becomes one of the only options they fully understand.

Personally, software support doesn't matter to me at all. Most phones are supported for 2 years, and that's all I need.

36 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I also feel like this could be some kinda ploy by Apple to make it seem as though there's more interest in them. This all could be fake too. Who knows.

I don't think most people hate Apple, the dollar amount might come into play....but less so in the US, where the survey has taken place.

I'd consider an iPhone this year, as they're opening up the customization a little bit. Which is the only thing other than the difficulty of switching away from iPhone that bothers me.

34 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

Wow , a whopping 660 android users MIGHT switch to iPhone.

Statistics can extrapolate with a pool of 1,000.

30 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Why would I, I can't customize the iPhone without jailbreaking or unnecessary work. I don't care so much about that stuff as long as I can use the phone and it works

That's kind of really contradictory 🤔

21 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

But I can see why a lot of Android OEM's are starting to sweat. for the first time in a long time Apple has every corner of the phone space on lock.. Cheap Phone? iPhone SE. Hell, I saw some carriers doing deals where you'd get that phone for $100. It's a parts-bin phone, Apple doesn't care if they're margins aren't that high on it, they'll make it back in the App Store and Apple Music. Want a solid all-rounder phone? iPhone 11. Want the best Apple has to offer? Still choose the iPhone 11. Want a big phone? iPhone 11 Pro Max. Unlike 5 years ago, there is literally an iPhone for almost everyone, something Android OEM's used to shout loudly and proudly about.

The SE is cheap, but comes with a tiny screen compared to it's competition. You'd really have to either like compact devices, or reeeeally want to go with Apple to go with that one over the cheap alternatives from Android. The iPhone 11 isn't the best they have to offer, that's why they have higher models.

10 minutes ago, Jimkirk363 said:

2000 users is a tiny amount considering how many use android.  I wont be switching i wont go near IOS.

You're also not in the US, and don't seem to know how statistics work ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

36 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

Wow , a whopping 660 android users MIGHT switch to iPhone.

Thats 33% if you take the total android users (1.6 billion) that's 500 m jumping ship.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's kind of really contradictory 🤔

I'm not good at english words is that a good or bad thing, and what does it mean?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Ok, I guess I should put my take. 

This is not a big enough sample size to mean anything else than that more testing is needed.  Hey, I could find 2000 people that want to switch to iphone, and use that as my data to support "All Android users want to switch to iPhone"

I like ios, but there are some problems. Having widgets now it cool, but there are still limits. Like, WTF CAN'T I HAVE ONE LINE OF APPS AND THEN A WIDGET?!?!?!??! (sorry for the mini-rant) Also, why cant there be spaces in between the apps? 

My experience with android has been bad, at least for a cell phone. I had a Note 9, which I loved, but it just didn't do it for me. Overall the UI experience was great, but the pick up to call feature (the one that calls the person you are texting when you put your phone to your ear) was so broken. Even with it off in settings, when I put my phone in my pocket, without closing the app, it would call the person I was texting, and I would call, and it was just a hot mess.

My android experience with several android 7 inch tablets has been great. I love the ability to sideload, especially on my fire (fire 7 5th gen). Some things, like having youtube run in horizontal (which technically can happen on ipad) is nice. UI functions. I really dont care there.

So, im on the edge. I like ios, and how its smoother, added to the simplicity, but I dont really care 100%

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

I'm not good at english words is that a good or bad thing, and what does it mean?

I seems like you said you wouldn't switch (I'm guessing) from Android to iOS because you can't customize the device without jailbreaking. But then you said you don't care about customization as long as you can use the phone. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580