A lot of android users could be switching to iphone because of long term support and privacy

404NAMEN0TF0UND
1 minute ago, Kanna said:

I'm not good at english words is that a good or bad thing, and what does it mean?

Contradictory (in this case) means that you said one thing, and said (bassically) the opposite in the next sentence

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Thats 33% if you take the total android users (1.6 billion) that's 500 m jumping ship.

But it is not 500m jumping ship. Its not 660 ants jumping ship. Its a poll of 2000. that's like .00062 of android users.

Not news at all.

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Let me just say once you try iOS and it's absolutely sublime updating and long term software support, it's hard to go back to shitty "3 years of updates at best" promises. Which in most cases end up being 2 years at best or just random "yeah well, the model X just happens to be Y so we're sacking it after just 1 year". Been there, seen that. I've gone through bunch of Android phones and they all had absolutely trash updating and long term software experience. It's just always something and it was driving me insane. With iOS, it just works. And not in Bethesda kinda way. And the customization BS is overhyped. In the end you always find out all that just breaks stuff and is always buggy and always ended up returning to stock launchers. People will always whine about it, but iOS is genuinely nice and people should stop listening to Android whiners. I was hesitating for ages just because of all those whiners selling bullshit to everyone. Went for it because I got rid of Google from my life and it's such a nice experience, nothing what people say it is.

I mean that really doesn't help your cause. 

Edited by Whiskers
Cleaning thread

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

9 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I'm not good at english words is that a good or bad thing, and what does it mean?

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito and @HelpfulTechWizard nailed it.

3 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

But it is not 500m jumping ship. Its not 660 ants jumping ship. Its a poll of 2000. that's like .00062 of android users.

Not news at all.

You should really educate yourself:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/howcan-a-poll-of-only-100/

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I seems like you said you wouldn't switch (I'm guessing) from Android to iOS because you can't customize the device without jailbreaking. But then you said you don't care about customization as long as you can use the phone. 

What I actually meant to focus on is the stuff the topic is mentioning I don't really care about that

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Yeah I saw they helped me there what I meant is I don't care about the stuff mentioned in the topic loosely explained

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

It's like a better core features are more important to most people.

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The SE is cheap, but comes with a tiny screen compared to it's competition. You'd really have to either like compact devices

The SE isn't that small, it's about the same size as the iPhone 11 Pro, just with a large chin and forehead. They should've done an SE plus but apparently it wasn't ready (?). And there are still a lot of people that prefer the 6/7 era design to the X one.

And also they're still selling the XR for $599, but that's still out of some people's price range for a phone, especially out of America where Apple loves to inflate prices.

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The iPhone 11 isn't the best they have to offer, that's why they have higher models.

The iPhone 11 Pro is a useless phone IMO. Its so much more expensive and you barely get anything better than the 11. For 99% of first time iPhone buyers, they will be much better off with the iPhone 11 and $300 than the iPhone 11 Pro.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Read it.

Good read. Based on a lot of assumptions and hypotheticals.

When the iPhone 12 comes out and anyone here can show that 33% of android users have ACTUALLY switched to any iPhone model and dumped 'droid , please feel free to post the article.

6 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

The SE isn't that small, it's about the same size as the iPhone 11 Pro, just with a large chin and forehead. They should've done an SE plus but apparently it wasn't ready (?). And there are still a lot of people that prefer the 6/7 era design to the X one.

And also they're still selling the XR for $599, but that's still out of some people's price range for a phone, especially out of America where Apple loves to inflate prices.

The iPhone 11 Pro is a useless phone IMO. Its so much more expensive and you barely get anything better than the 11. For 99% of first time iPhone buyers, they will be much better off with the iPhone 11 and $300 than the iPhone 11 Pro.

What are you talking about? The SE has a 4.7" screen, the iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8" screen. The size difference is significant.

4,7-inch-16x9-vs-5,8-inch-d_19,5x9_.png

You can say Apple likes to inflate prices, but that's probably not true. It's likely down to import taxes, as well as other things like logistics. Blame the government.

Personally I'd pay the extra $300 just for the OLED screen, with the ultrawide camera coming in a very close second.

2 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

Read it.

Good read. Based on a lot of assumptions and hypotheticals.

When the iPhone 12 comes out and anyone here can show that 33% of android users have ACTUALLY switched to any iPhone model and dumped 'droid , please feel free to post the article.

Actually, it's called science. Have you never taken a statistics course?

You also do realize the pole said considering, not will, right?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Actually, it's called science. Have you never taken a statistics course?

You also do realize the pole said considering, not will, right?

Oh, because science and polling have never been wrong.

If considering is just as concrete fact as will, then I guess the many polls that showed the pc should be dead due to tablets came to fruition and 5 years ago Tom Brady was not gonna win another superbowl.

Like I asked , when the iPhone 12 comes out please show us the 33%. Or 30%  Hell I will spot you 25%

The real poll should be how many iPhone users will upgrade to the 12.

This isn't enough enough of a survey to accurately sample how many people would be switching.

I don't plan on switching, an Android phone does everything I need it to, I like phones that have a 3.5mm jack, and don't want to spend a ton of money on a phone.

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What are you talking about? The SE has a 4.7" screen, the iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8" screen. The size difference is significant.

The size of the phone itself is almost the same. The iPhone 11 Pro just has no home button or forehead. But in the hand they feel about the same.

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You can say Apple likes to inflate prices, but that's probably not true. It's likely down to import taxes, as well as other things like logistics. Blame the government.

You're probably right.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

without a custom os, like linage os. Technically, I could run android 10 on my 2013 nexus 7.

you could. i have an LG G3 running lineageOS. it's so slow it takes 10 minutes to even respond to touch when you first boot it up, the wifi and bluetooth are broken, going to the homescreen takes 5 seconds, everything stutters, the phone gets crazy hot and it crashes all the time.

11/10 experience. absolutely comparable to iOS.

obviously that was a joke iOS is so much better than android on older devices, my 6s still feels smooth to use and never crashes.

She/Her

9 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

The real poll should be how many iPhone users will upgrade to the 12.

I really don't think that statistic matters. Apple doesn't care, since with or without the iPhone 12, people still have access to all their services.

The polls that actually do matter are iOS to Android and vise versa. Those are the customers you can sell new services to. This is why they're making cheaper phones, to lure in the people that are like "The Galaxy S20 FE looks nice, but the iPhone 12 has similar features".  That's why YoY iPhone sales have stagnated since 2016, but the cheaper phones (like the XR and 11) have been the best selling phones of the year in any brand. Apple really is pushing for marketshare as they're slowing transitioning to a hardware company to a service/experience company.

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

ou could. i have an LG G3 running lineageOS. it's so slow it takes 10 minutes to even respond to touch when you first boot it up, the wifi and bluetooth are broken, going to the homescreen takes 5 seconds, everything stutters, the phone gets crazy hot and it crashes all the time.

see, android 10 linage  on my nexus is supposed to be more smooth than the offical android 5 on it, since asus/google/whoever did a really bad job with optimizing it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I really don't think that statistic matters. Apple doesn't care, since with or without the iPhone 12, people still have access to all their services.

The polls that actually do matter are iOS to Android and vise versa. Those are the customers you can sell new services to. This is why they're making cheaper phones, to lure in the people that are like "The Galaxy S20 FE looks nice, but the iPhone 12 has similar features".  That's why YoY iPhone sales have stagnated since 2016, but the cheaper phones (like the XR and 11) have been the best selling phones of the year in any brand. Apple really is pushing for marketshare as they're slowing transitioning to a hardware company to a service/experience company.

How many of those phones are upgrades from android phones? And out of those "sales" how many are actual cash transactions and not free phones per carrier. As far as I remember those phones are given away free now.

Either way , android isn't disappearing anytime soon and the original article is clickbait.

Just now, Ashley xD said:

you could. i have an LG G3 running lineageOS. it's so slow it takes 10 minutes to even respond to touch when you first boot it up, the wifi and bluetooth are broken, going to the homescreen takes 5 seconds, everything stutters, the phone gets crazy hot and it crashes all the time.

11/10 experience. absolutely comparable to iOS.

obviously that was a joke iOS is so much better than android on older devices, my 6s still feels smooth to use and never crashes.

I ran Android Oreo on my father's old Galaxy S1, when Oreo was still new ofc. "7 years of software support!!!!!"

It's obviously not practical for the average person to use a custom ROM especially with companies locking their bootloaders harder (and if they took Linus's advice on last weeks WAN show, almost all Android OEM's would implement iBoot level bootloader locking in their phones).

What I really don't get is when people say that no one cares about updates. Give them the update and then they'll care. iOS 14 has almost 10% of iOS's userbase on it already. 10% in half a month is insane adoption for any new piece of software, let alone an entire operating system. Not only that, iOS 14 was trending on Twitter for what seemed like a week, and iOS 13 had about 80% marketshare as early as March, only 7 months after it's debut. People do care about updates, and people do want updates,  but they're not feasible on Android. From OEM's trying to cobble together their usually awful (but sometimes great) skins to work on the new version, to carriers actually taking weeks/months to test god knows what before it gets to your hands. Maybe Fuscia will fix this, but if that project isn't dead yet it's probably not coming out for years.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Android fanboys selling bullshit horror stories about iOS. Let me just say once you try iOS and it's absolutely sublime updating and long term software support, it's hard to go back to shitty "3 years of updates at best" promises. Which in most cases end up being 2 years at best or just random "yeah well, the model X just happens to be Y so we're sacking it after just 1 year". Been there, seen that. I've gone through bunch of Android phones and they all had absolutely trash updating and long term software experience. It's just always something and it was driving me insane. With iOS, it just works. And not in Bethesda kinda way. And the customization BS is overhyped. In the end you always find out all that just breaks stuff and is always buggy and always ended up returning to stock launchers. People will always whine about it, but iOS is genuinely nice and people should stop listening to Android whiners. I was hesitating for ages just because of all those whiners selling bullshit to everyone. Went for it because I got rid of Google from my life and it's such a nice experience, nothing what people say it is.

idk i had an iphone 5 and after a week the power button broke. when i took it to the apple store they said they will fix it for free since its a known problem but I won't have a phone for 2 weeks. And as a high school student at the time who needs to call his parents I can't be without a phone for 2 weeks so i decided to cope without it. and then either the next major IOS update or the one after that it made everything slow to a crawl and keeps disabling wifi and cellular. and i needed to reset network settings which required a restart 2 times a day which is super annoying. I then went to a note 4 and had no issues and when it died after 6 years I now got an lg v20 and they both have removable battery, a headphone jack, and allows me to put custom roms which the only problem i had was with gps one time on the note 4 which was fixed the next day in an update

6 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

How many of those phones are upgrades from android phones?

I'm sure if it's a lot Apple will gloat about it next week at their event like they usually do.

6 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

And out of those "sales" how many are actual cash transactions and not free phones per carrier. As far as I remember those phones are given away free now.

This can go both ways, for both iPhones and Androids. Free phones aren't "OEM specific". It just depends on what they're not selling at that time.

1 hour ago, 404NAMEN0TF0UND said:

they're considering switching to iphone 12

This, and the fact that 2,000 people were surveyed sums up everything. On top of surveying a small number of people, you are also mentioning people buying $1000+ phones, which is clearly not representative of the Android user base. Let alone the fact that it's in the US...

On top of that, many major Android device manufacturers are commiting to offer at least 3 years of software support so I wouldn't really consider it an issue anymore.

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk i had an iphone 5 and after a week the power button broke. when i took it to the apple store they said they will fix it for free since its a known problem but I won't have a phone for 2 weeks

Jesus, that's really bad. I can see why Apple doesn't lend loaner units, because of the possibility of stolen devices, but 2 weeks to fix a power button is ridiculous, especially for a known issue that they probably have parts on hand to fix.

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

mentioning people buying $1000+ phones

iPhone 12 doesn't mean iPhone 12 Pro.

The iPhone 11 series ranges from $699 to $1099. The iPhone 12 series is predicted to have similar pricing.

1 hour ago, 404NAMEN0TF0UND said:

SellCell surveyed 2000 (I know that's a small sample, so take this with a grain of salt)

thats not a small sample