A lot of android users could be switching to iphone because of long term support and privacy

404NAMEN0TF0UND

If I ever switch from Android, it'll be because we have a third competitor that's better than either. Until then, I'm here, period. I don't even really like Android, it's just that I despise iOS.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

40 minutes ago, GenTen Station said:

I'm sure the people that would switch are ones that don't really utilize an Android to its full capacity. But in the same breath, these are usually people that go for $200 garbage phone and would likely never buy an iPhone anyway.

Eh, I dunno about that chief.

Back in late-2016 I needed a new phone was was no more than $300 AUD (skinflint budget, I know), had 4G cellular capability (my old 3G phone's connection was getting wonky), would get OS updates and security fixes for at least 3 if not up to 5 years, and wasn't coming with an OS that was already 5 years out of date (Hello~ Android 4.4 KitKat!).

I searched every reputable Australian retailer that sold phones and tablets, found that JB HiFi had exactly what I was looking for, and it just so happened to be the 32GB iPhone 6 (yeah, yeah "Bendgate" and all - use your SIDE pockets and get a fucking case for it you morons! don't fucking SIT on your thin-and-light smartdevice!). Every damn Android device that could be verified it was able to talk on the 4G network of my new provider was looking at $1000 AUD minimum for the fucking flagships as nothing else Android-powered on the market at the time was 4G-ready.

Since then the 32GB iP6 has been a rock steady little workhorse for my rural and city cellular needs, and light web surfing when need to check something while in town and only stopped getting new major OS updates due to Apple only allowing iOS 13 on devices with 2GB RAM minimum (mine is 1GB and works fine).

I can see why some people would want to switch over to an iPhone, because whether you like it or not, Android manufactures are terrible at giving LTS for their devices (though there are some exceptions I suppose with flagship phones and some are slightly improving in general). Updates either take way too long or don't come at all to phones. People saying: "Well why don't you use another ROM", keep in mind that not all devices will have ROMs available (and even if there are, it can sometimes be hard to find those) nor is the installation process that easy for the regular consumer.  

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Complete bs saw this years ago as well. Also about portion of users so called thinking to switch because iPhone is "better" ye that come from people using like $100 Android phone. Also I agree what the first replay said. Because it's true. 

On the other hand, really we should start to see Android phones get longer support for sure. Samsung started to offer extra year, still should offer longer. Especially freaking Google that slacks, seriously phones are obscenely expensive. Phone doesn't become obsolete after support ends, but sucks to see rather early on it stops receiving upgrades. Especially for 1k phones. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 minutes ago, GenTen Station said:

I'm sure the people that would switch are ones that don't really utilize an Android to its full capacity. But in the same breath, these are usually people that go for $200 garbage phone and would likely never buy an iPhone anyway.

I bought the nexus4, 6P, Pixel 1 and Pixel 2. I used Nova Launcher, rooted the 6P, install cyanoginmod on the Nexus4 and even wrote myself an Android App so I could check my network status easily while ridding the subway when I couldn't find anything that did exactly what I wanted as fast as possible. This is all to say that I feel like I used Android to it's maximum capacity and still switched.

Privacy and long term support were both major factors in getting me to move over. It takes a good deal of effort into making an Android phone anywhere as good on privacy as an iPhone running iOS 14. And in terms of long term support, you can run iOS 14 on an iPhone 6 which came out in 2015. By contrast I bought my Nexus 6P in 2015 and it saw its last update in 2017. And while $200 might only get you a garbage Android phone, it'll get you an iPhone 6S and let you run iOS14.

This is leaving out the "ecosystem" benefits if you have an iPad or mac.

iPhones are popular because they're good phones.

Here's why I don't like apple. They make a terrible product and in response they make a ridiculously expensive and over engineered solution.  

This is basically 75% of the reason I switched to Apple for my phone. The other 25% was CarPlay, because Android Auto was (and still is?) a dumpster fire in September of 2019. After using the iPhone for this long, I’m not sure I’d want to go back at this point.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Master Delta Chief said:

I can see why some people would want to switch over to an iPhone, because whether you like it or not, Android manufactures are terrible at giving LTS for their devices (though there are some exceptions I suppose with flagship phones and some are slightly improving in general). Updates either take way too long or don't come at all to phones. People saying: "Well why don't you use another ROM", keep in mind that not all devices will have ROMs available (and even if there are, it can sometimes be hard to find those) nor is the installation process that easy for the regular consumer.  

Not only that, installing custom ROM's is anything but simple. And I've been doing it since days of Galaxy S2. Things are less retarded these days compared to S2 which didn't have dedicated OS partition, but still far from a simple task. And ultimately, even if you do it, there are bunch of apps that straight up refuse to work on unlocked (not even rooted, just unlocked!) phones. Netflix and most banking apps to name few. I wanted to make more use from Xiaomi Mi5 that was stuck on Android Pie by installing LineageOS on it. It was a process that involved a lot of sweating because the thing decided to just stall itself on a bootscreen despite following the guide to the letter and with enough forcible persuasion of hard rebooting it repeatedly while it was getting scorching hot I finally made it to boot. Just to find out my banking app that also does 2FA refuses to work making me unable to access ANY banking of mine. Alternative to that is dicking around with Magisk. Sorry, I'm a very techy person, but I just couldn't be bothered going through all that hassle just to have the damn OS up to date.

What really bothers me is how "reviewers" or people in general present things. Everyone is hating on iOS and presenting it like you can't do anything with it and that it'll limit your experience in every single possible way compared to Android, giving perception you're buying an advanced dumb phone with touch screen. I forcibly threw myself into it when I decided to just dump Android and Google as whole with "I'll just make it work somehow" attitude. Just to realize after few weeks of using iOS that it's not really that different from Android. In fact I realized it's hardly any different. I could find all the same apps I was using on Android and since I wasn't tied to Google services, my experience has been ecosystem agnostic anyway. I'm using mail service that's neither from Google or Apple.  I'm using maps that are neither from Google or Apple. I'm using cloud storage that's neither from Google or Apple. I'm using a browser that's neither from Google or Apple. The "uh oh it's just a Safari skin" is just such a sad argument Android fanboys keep throwing around like some low key gotcha. 3rd party password manager actually works better on iOS as Autofill isn't broken disaster like on Android where it just stops working for no damn reason or fails to autofill login credentials constantly. On iOS it just works and it's not even Apple's own password manager. And in the end there is 5 years of worry free updates that you can always download on day 1 it's announced. Android users really need to experience this to realize how shit Android is in this regard.

Android fanboys and Apple haters just endlessly repeat the same nonsense of closed ecosystems and after using iPhone for 2nd year, I can openly say it was all fearmongering bullshit. There is no "walled garden". Just because you can't stick any garbage launcher into your phone or plaster one of million vomit inducing "themes" it doesn't mean the whole thing is closed ecosystem. Massive selection of apps ensures you have an opposite experience. Apple Watch is limited to usage with iPhone only, but then again Apple Watch is like a miniature iPhone so I kinda understand. Where most non Apple smart watches are just overglorified step counters and heartrate meters. So I kinda understand why this tight integration with phone limits you to iPhone+Apple Watch only. And then there Are AirPods. I got them because they were one of rare wireless earphones that don't use dumb silicone tips that I absolutely despise. Turns out this "closed ecosystem" device actually works great with Microsoft's OS and I've been exclusively using them on Windows only for almost a year. So much for the walled garden bullshit. People just spread so much nonsense and BS it's just shocking to me as someone who actually believed that crap for years. Until I tried it myself and realized it's nothing they've been saying for years. And now I keep repeating myself on forums like an absolute Apple fanboy that people should stop listening to these BS stories and give it a try. I'm not even saying iOS is superior or whatever. I'm just saying the experience is so good one could and should easily use it instead of Android and not have experience any worse really. That 5 years of updates is for me personally a huge selling point and it's gonna be hard for me to ever go with something less on any Android phone.

I check phones regularly and I've sen bunch of really cool and exciting Android based phones. And since I'm a tech nerd I was already at a point where I wanted to buy several of them. And gave up after realizing I'd get 2 years of updates at best and how that would really suck. I instantly lost interest in all of it. Looking forward to what new iOS 15 will bring me next year. How many of Android users can say the same on a phone from 2018? And I'm confident I'll be able to look forward to iOS 16 too. I'm literally waiting for Apple to release a phone without a notch and then I'm going to actually be buying a new phone. And I have zero worries about software side of things in the meanwhile. That's the charm of long term software support.

Shit, what a long wall of text I just made...

I switched to iphone earlier this year for this exact reason.

Back when phones were just calls, messaging, satnav and a bit of light entertainment, security wasn't a big deal. Phone being without security updates for a year of more, not a big deal. I admit I probably should have been more concerned at that point than I was, you can do a lot of damage with someone email account after all. However, I started using my phone for payments, accessing my bank/credit card account and then when the security updates ceased when the phone was only a little over a year old (remember the clock starts ticking on the support life when the phone is released, not when you buy it) I became sufficiently concerned to do something about it.

I bought an iphone 11, I'll keep it until it has 6 months of support left, and unless Android phones at a similar price point are also offering 5 years support I won't even consider them as an option. Apple is guilty of a lot of douche baggery, but for phones IMO they are the least worst option.

It's a shame Windows phone didn't survive, it might have given a better balance between platform openness, security and device life.             

lol.. no thanks ill stick with my samsung phone. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

because Android Auto was (and still is?) a dumpster fire in September of 2019

might be you but android auto works fine whenever i used it. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Meh, it was enough pain to set up my father's iphone. Even a simple thing like setting a custom ringtone took minutes following a guide and installing their oversized crapware. The "we dictate what you can do with your newly acquired property" attitude of theirs make me puke...

21 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I dunno about that buds. Most people on Android specifically either hate Apple, or don't want to shill out thousands of dollars on something that does the same thing as something else that only costs a few hundred. Most technically able people can get by on their own in terms of security and support.

I also feel like this could be some kinda ploy by Apple to make it seem as though there's more interest in them. This all could be fake too. Who knows.

One iPhone that lasts 8 years = $1450USD (iPhone 11 Pro 512GB), $850USD (256GB iPhone 11 model), $650USD (128GB Xr model)

One Samsung Galaxy that lasts 3 years = $1100USD (Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G 128GB)

One Google Pixel 5 = $800USD that lasts 3 years (128GB)

So, in the time the iPhone optimistically lasts, you would need to buy three android phones, spending 50% more in total. Even if the iPhone only lasts 6 years, two flagship Android phones is still more expensive than Apple's flagship iPhone model. 

I'm sorry but this survey is pathetic.

Here is the entire "Methodology" section from the company that conducted it;

The report is based on an online survey – conducted between September 26-30, 2020 – involving more than 2000 Android phone users, aged 18 years or older, based in the United States.

The responses to the survey were collected without storing any personally identifiable information of the involved respondents.

The motive of the survey was to collect responses from Android users regarding their intent to buy the upcoming iPhone 12 and other new releases from Apple, including the iPads and Apple Watches.

• The sample size is tiny? 2000? Really? And you can bet these people are just whoever they happened to persuade to answer the survey, so no stratified sampling or other care taken.
  • "Android phone users" is very vague, and no device type breakdown is given, nor are any demographics given, nor do we know whether these people have purchased their phone outright or bought it on contract
  • The question asked was "Would you consider buying the upcoming iPhone 12?". Now any sane person spending thousands on a device that they will have to live with for the next few years will consider all of the possible options.
  • We don't even know the specs of the phone yet! How can you expect anyone to make an informed decision based upon unverified leaks and general PR hype?

In short, it is nothing more than naive and foolish to draw any kind of conclusion whatsoever from this data. It seems that it has been bashed together quickly in order to create a clickbait headline, rather than actually being a properly conducted study.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Meh, it was enough pain to set up my father's iphone. Even a simple thing like setting a custom ringtone took minutes following a guide and installing their oversized crapware. The "we dictate what you can do with your newly acquired property" attitude of theirs make me puke...

Most people I know who use iphone don't give a crap about updates and/or security. My mom calls me every time when her iphone starts to do those crazy things (updates). She'd probably be happier if there were no updates at all for 10 years or something.

7950x3d | Corsair H170i Elite LCD XT | ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz | ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix O24G | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB  | Corsair AX1500i | Corsair 7000D Airflow | Simucube 2 Pro + Sparco P310 + Sparco R345 + SMC SMV1 + Ascher Racing F64 V2 | Fanatec CSS V 1.5 | HE Ultimate+ | HE Sim Handbrake | Sim-Lab P1 | DSD Race King II | Valve Index

20 minutes ago, optimuss said:

Most people I know who use iphone don't give a crap about updates and/or security.

These are the same people that never update their PCs or Macs and cry when they get a virus.

iOS is usually good about updates, they usually only updates at night when you're sleeping, and it will warn you the entire day that it's going to update your phone. So if you want to postpone it you can, but if you want it you just let it do its thing.

1 hour ago, Fooshi said:

I rarely have a phone for longer than a year.

I don't understand people who do this. I ask in all sincerity and without snark or condescension: do you plan to retire someday?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I love this meme that iOS is more secure and/or private than latest Android. Let normies switch over to the walled garden and empty their wallets for Apple if they want.

Meanwhile I'll be waiting for something like this to happen to Android:

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

This should go under the bullsh!t section, not news 🤣 
(I'm just joking btw)

Just looking at this 5th page and people keep repeating the same "walled garden" bullshit I was listening for years and which was keeping me away from even trying this alleged horror of an iOS. Until I did anyway and seen it's NOTHING what people are saying about it. So, has anyone of you repeating this drivel actually used an iPhone for more than a month? Or shall I say have you ever used one at all or just repeating nonsense you heard or read somewhere?

"Walled garden" would be "You can only use Apple everything". But that's not actually true. And I can tell everyone about this from first hand experience. I'm actually using an iPhone without using anything Apple actually. Really only thing from Apple is the weather widget which is actually surprisingly accurate for my region and I rely on it on daily basis to get my life around weather conditions. Everything else, mail, search engine, maps, cloud storage etc, everything is from 3rd party companies. I can sell my iPhone this moment and go to Android, install all those 3rd party apps and services and I'll have identical experience. Except I won't be getting so many OS updates that is. So, by what definition is this a "walled garden"? When you can so easily and seamlessly switch between two entirely different ecosystems, is it really a "walled garden"? I think not.

The long-term support Apple provides is the reason why I recommend iPhones to my friends and family, unless they explicitly want Android.

My parents are on iPhones for that very reason.

I, personally, carry 2 phones (Xperia XZ1 Compact & iPhone 6S) with my iPhone the one I use whenever I create an account by taking advantage of their email relay.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I think the big deal people on this forum make about support is completely lost on the average person. My parents in no way would understand or care about it. As long as texting, calls, and the internet works the phone is "supported".

This may be controversial, and I don't know if it's just me who thinks this way, but since the survey sample is based solely in the United States, Android users may be more inclined to switch to an iPhone because of peer pressure, while citing software support and privacy as another reason.

iMessage is pretty prominent here in North America, and Android users are usually left out of group chats because of messages being sent via SMS rather than iMessage. There's also this hate on "green bubbles" when I was in high school. This is less of an issue in other parts of the world where majority of people may message each other through Discord, Telegram, WhatsApp, WeChat and other chat clients I may not be aware of.

Most of you may disagree, since this is a enthusiast forum, but your average consumer probably thinks software updates are a pain in the ass. Sure, the new iOS 14 widgets are nice and all, but it can be inconvenient. I'm not sure whether this happens or not, since I've only seen this happen to my mom and my older brother, but there have been times where my mom comes back to her charging iPhone and it's updating, causing her to wait until it is done before she can finally send that message she's been meaning to send. I'm sure the phone notifies you, but my mom doesn't recall seeing it.

As more and more people are on social media, there's also this sudden need for status. The modern iPhone is not just a device used for communication anymore, it is a piece of jewelry. When the iPhone 12 Pro (Max?) is released, I bet you, every girl on Instagram will hold the new iPhone in their hands showing off their newly done nails in the driver seat of some higher end car. I'm just stereotyping at this point, but just know, this happens. Newer iPhones seem to turn heads. 

Of course, this is all coming from an Android user, but this is all from what I've seen.

"But @KenTees, you're just making up all these perfect scenarios, so it fits your narrative!"

You're damn right I am.

12 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

I love this meme that iOS is more secure and/or private than latest Android.

Fun fact, some phone exploiters charge more to hack Android devices.

It is also important to note, the latest Android is only as secured as how well the manufacturer implemented the security patch. Some Android OEMs were caught delivering fake security patches. Google has since started cracking down on these OEMs, hopefully.

This security is further enhanced with Samsung's KNOX and Google's Titan chip.

Here are two articles that explain why modern Android (with proper implementation!) is pretty secure.

palone.blog

Medium

One thing I found interesting about the Medium post is that, iCloud backups lack end-to-end encryption...

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

19 hours ago, maplepants said:

And in terms of long term support, you can run iOS 14 on an iPhone 6 which came out in 2015.

Actually, iOS 12.4.8 is the current version for iPhone 6, due to the 1GB RAM in the device and iOS 13+ wants 2GB or more of RAM to officially update (like High Sierra is the last you can put on a mid-2010 Macbook as Mojave wants a GPU with Metal API support officially).

But still, if there comes out a problem with iOS 12 that hasn't been fixed already, Apple is more likely to fix it and do so for at least another year or so, rather than let it rot unlike Android.

Been rocking my 36GB iPhone 6 since late-2016 and I'd happy with it, though wouldn't mind updating to a iPhone 12 in a year's time or so if funds permit.