A lot of android users could be switching to iphone because of long term support and privacy

404NAMEN0TF0UND
6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

its a worse case, I think the biggest threat to android right now is Huawei harmony OS, if they get developers on then Chinese market jumps then it would take a sizable chunk out of androids market share.

I mean everyone who was already buying Huawei phones will now not be on Android so there is that but I doubt any other phone brand will follow. 

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Freedom to be Google's data hoarding bitch. I wouldn't really call that a freedom just because they don't go bananas on you for sideloading an app...

With Android you can use the device, including installing third party apps, without ever touching Google services.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

With Android you can use the device, including installing third party apps, without ever touching Google services.

Except you don't. Every single phone you buy that comes with Android has Google crap pre-installed. Saying but muh ROM X doesn't float here. When will people realize that custom ROM's and sideloading are things used by tiny minority. Tiny but loud minority.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Except you don't. Every single phone you buy that comes with Android has Google crap pre-installed. Saying but muh ROM X doesn't float here. When will people realize that custom ROM's and sideloading are things used by tiny minority. Tiny but loud minority.

If you choose, you can disable it all and never use it...and still install any app you want. You disable the app store on an iPhone, you can't install anything. Unless it's jailbroken of course.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

If you choose, you can disable it all and never use it...and still install any app you want. You disable the app store on an iPhone, you can't install anything. Unless it's jailbroken of course.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind options, but realistically, it's not really a problem for regular users. Which is why all this drama about Apple having "walled garden" closed ecosystem is a non issue for 99% of users. I just can't stand Google and I also couldn't be bothered dicking around with half baked custom ROM's and whining apps that didn't like unlocked bootloader (not root!). So I just went with Apple and never really looked back. Did play with my ancient Galaxy S2 and installed Android 10 (LineageOS) on it, but if I'm really honest, I don't even like it anymore. At least not to a point I'd actively crave for anything it offers. Android that is, not the aging slow as a dead donkey Galaxy S2.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind options, but realistically, it's not really a problem for regular users. Which is why all this drama about Apple having "walled garden" closed ecosystem is a non issue for 99% of users. I just can't stand Google and I also couldn't be bothered dicking around with half baked custom ROM's and whining apps that didn't like unlocked bootloader (not root!). So I just went with Apple and never really looked back. Did play with my ancient Galaxy S2 and installed Android 10 (LineageOS) on it, but if I'm really honest, I don't even like it anymore. At least not to a point I'd actively crave for anything it offers. Android that is, not the aging slow as a dead donkey Galaxy S2.

It seems that you have given a reasonable amount of consideration to what you buy, and reached a pragmatic, sensible decision which just happens to be different to mine, which is fine. Idon't want you to believe that I have a problem with someone not agreeing with me.

What I do have a problem with is people who just blindly make claims to support an agenda, or would rather fool themselves with false facts and misconceptions than change their opinion....

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

14 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's more of a personal bias, and you don't speak for everyone either.  Plus, your experienc with custom roms seems to be only on a really dated device.

I had it on newer devices too, I damn well know how Android works on modern devices, I was just making a point I know how to get around of far more complicated ROM tasks (and for S2 it's a fucking nightmare level of difficulty). I know just enough that some apps shit their pants on unlocked bootloaders which is a more no go than "walled garden". Where at least the app works without bitching and I don't have to deal with ANY Google.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, I'd prefer having a headphone jack and not being dictated to by a tax dodging corporation about what I can and cannot do legally with my device.

That's hardly Apple's fault. All corporations do tax evasion , including Google, just coz they can and while everyone is pissing on Apple how shit everything they do is, their "no headphone jack" design has worked so well everyone copied it. You may not like it, but everyone else loves it. Everyone else as in companies selling you all the TWS headphones...

I think the whole Apple is more secure than Android is just a marketing scheme. If you know what you are doing on android, you can make your phone just as secure. 

I also think that even if Apple is a much more secure phone than Android, nothing is perfectly secure, there is always a loop hole into getting someone's information and as long as Facebook, Instagram, etc. are around, we can never guarantee our security.

I am not an expert! I have had experience building computers but in no way am I Linus! Please correct me if I am wrong, I would love to here your feedback!

Have a good day!

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's hardly Apple's fault. All corporations do tax evasion , including Google, just coz they can

That's the most Apple-fanboy argument I've ever heard.

"Apple does things which are illegal, but it doesn't matter because other people do them too!"

It's like saying "Well I know I caused a collision killing a cyclist and 3 pedestrians, but that doesn't matter because someone else killed 2 cyclists and 5 pedestrians!". Ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

and while everyone is pissing on Apple how shit everything they do is, their "no headphone jack" design has worked so well everyone copied it. You may not like it, but everyone else loves it. Everyone else as in companies selling you all the TWS headphones...

Well I don't think anybody can argue with that... :)

pythonmegapixel

Back to the core subject — I'd say support really is starting to matter as people keep their phones for longer. It was easier to excuse Google's behaviour when smartphones were younger and you upgraded the moment your contract/instalment plan was done, but now that people might keep a phone for three years or more, it's noticeable

As an anecdote: my folks both got the iPhone 6 as their first smartphone in 2014. They upgraded to the iPhone 11 in 2019 not because the phone was too slow (iOS updates actually made it faster), but because Apple was only then phasing out OS updates. They wanted to know they were always getting the latest security fixes and new features, and they simply couldn't count on that with Android.

What irks me isn't so much the length of the support as the almost classist way many Android OEMs approach support. Bought the latest flagship? Roll out the red carpet, three years of major OS upgrades and security updates every month. Can only afford a lower-end device? Be thankful if you even get two years of OS updates and four security updates per year, plebe.

I know it's not always feasible to delivery every update depending on hardware performance, but in many cases Android vendors simply abandon budget phones because they don't feel it's worth the effort. And that's something of an insult to, say, someone in India or South Africa for whom that $150 phone was the best they could afford. We should be striving for a world where all phones always the same high level of support, not just the flagships.

-Headphone jack removal was anti consumer.  
-App Store lockout is anti consumer. 
-big data is anti consumer.  

Google and Apple both removed headphone jacks.  Google and Apple both have App Store locks though apples is slightly stronger than google’s.  Google does big data in a big way.  Apple almost doesn’t do it alt all. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thread locked.

There's little news to be discussed and this is basically just a debate over which brand/OS is better. Different people have different needs and priorities, so what works for you might not work for others. Just use what you want and let other people use what they want.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450