Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
1 hour ago, Vishera said:

That older laptops (2012-2013) are better than new laptops.

Newer laptops have less cooling performance (thinner heatsinks,quieter fans) and their upgradability is almost non-existent (no socketed CPUs,in a lot of laptops the RAM is soldered as well).

Also their batteries swell (lack of a hard case) and can easily pop the track pad off.

Their IO is almost non existent,only 2 USB ports?,really? (In older ones the standard was 4 USB ports,a SD card reader,Ethernet,ExpressCard which is basically PCI-E and a CD drive)

And removable batteries are great.

Perhaps this can be modified as a concept to “thin-and-light laptops are not needed or are more useful everywhere”

not all recently produced laptops are thin-and-light, but more and more of them are.  They will likely become a lot less common if that right-to-repair thing goes through.  Thin and light laptops generally require construction techniques that make them largely unrepairable

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The world is made for right handed people. Here are some examples as to why:

• most smartphones have the power button at the right
  • most arm chairs in schools have desks placed on the right side
  • Majority of door knobs are placed in the right side
  • Zipper of pants are accessible on the right side
  • MST readers in cashiers have the card reader in the right side.
  • number pad of any computer keyboard is on the right. Never have I seen a keyboard with num pad on the left
  • Suturing a wound for left handed doctors is more difficult as most instructions shows that the right hand is holding the suture.

And many more reasons. I'm glad I write on the right :old-tongue:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

most smartphones have the power button at the right

I don’t see how this is made for right handed people. If I hold my phone in my right hand I press the button with my thumb, if I hold it with my left hand I press it with the index finger, neither one is easier or harder than the other. 

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Majority of door knobs are placed in the right side

Doors are two sided, if you look at them from one side the door handle is on the right, if you look at them from the other side the handle is on the left.

I’m not saying there aren’t many things that are less convenient for left handed people to use, I just don’t see how the above apply. It’s also not like left handed people are incapable of using their right hand for simple things like opening a door.

- Chocolate isn't very good

- Dorittos Suck

- Minecraft looks a hell lot worse with shaders

- RGB looks dumb inside a pc, but LED in the room (ex. Nano Leaf Panels) can look very good if done right

- The Wii U was fun

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

14 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

You missed some:

1. Right Handed Screw Drivers

2. Right Handed Hammers

3. Right Handed Wrenches (Adjustable Included)

4. Right Hand Steering Wheel

5. Right Handed Fans

6. Right Handed Cheese Burgers

7. Right Handed Mr Potato Head

8. Right Handed Shirts

9. Right Handed F Connectors

The Glorious Model D

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

Petition to rename Caracals to "Floppas"

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

There is no good reason to buy a Chromebook outside of your school requiring it.

A chromebook is the computer equivalent to a drug store disposable film camera. Its meant to be given to kids, you should never pay a lot of money for one, it has poor capability, and you should never ever use it for professional work. My acer C720 had a charger that would fall out if I tilted it just a little bit, I hated that my school made me get it.

If your considering getting a chromebook, get a cheap windows machine, its infinitely better than a chromebook. A 1000$ chromebook should be an oxymoron. 

"You can't fully appreciate new technology until you understand what came before it"

Experience in repairing: VCR, cassette decks, Walkman, film cameras, and Chromebooks

Programming languages: Java, Python, and C

8 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

Right Hand Steering Wheel

You mean most countries driving on the right side of the road, hence the steering wheel is on the left. Right hand steering wheel would mean driving on the right. 

38 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You mean most countries driving on the right side of the road, hence the steering wheel is on the left. Right hand steering wheel would mean driving on the right. 

Steering wheels only become right or left handed when you have to factor in changing gears or indicating, the vast majority of the time you (should) have both hands on the wheel and so it isn't really biased either way. Here in the UK my right hand stays on the wheel all the time, whilst my left hand takes care of indicating, gears and the handbrake. I know many right and left handers and no one has any difficulties with that setup.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

3 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Steering wheels only become right or left handed when you have to factor in changing gears or indicating, the vast majority of the time you (should) have both hands on the wheel and so it isn't really biased either way. Here in the UK my right hand stays on the wheel all the time, whilst my left hand takes care of indicating, gears and the handbrake. I know many right and left handers and no one has any difficulties with that setup.

Steering wheel to the centre of the road. Right hand is available outside the window for tickets, drive through, drive bys etc. 

On 4/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, captain_to_fire said:

number pad of any computer keyboard is on the right. Never have I seen a keyboard with num pad on the left

In my opinion it would actually better if the numpad was on the left. You had more room for moving your mouse, and if you were working with excel you could use one hand for the arrow keys and the other hand for the numpad.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

27 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

In my opinion it would actually better if the numpad was on the left. You had more room for moving your mouse, and if you were working with excel you could use one hand for the arrow keys and the other hand for the numpad.

It may have to do with 10key conventions.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I know many right and left handers and no one has any difficulties with that setup.

I wasn’t implying that the reason why most countries drive on the right side is because most people are right handed. 

Physical buttons > touchscreens in cars

Less frustrating to use, especially in cold areas where you wear gloves

"You can't fully appreciate new technology until you understand what came before it"

Experience in repairing: VCR, cassette decks, Walkman, film cameras, and Chromebooks

9 minutes ago, pyral said:

This applies to more than cars.  They even make special gloves with cpa item right capacity because of this.  The gloves frequently are both expensive and don’t work well. 

20 minutes ago, pyral said:

For essential functionality, definitely. But for things like an entertainment system, buttons are quite limiting compared to a large screen. For example, it's more difficult to present the user with a list of songs to choose from.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Trendy bloated infotainment systems on cars, with big/multiple, or even worse “detached”/floating displays. If someone wants to play a game or watch smth, they should be a passenger and they can use a phone/tablet.

Flat bottom steering wheels are stupid. Exception only for sitting in non adjustable bucket seat.

Loved interiors with red lights only, unfortunately even with the modern RGB everything, this is no more. 

22 hours ago, pyral said:

Yes, good, tactile buttons and knobs.

A great example of a hiding screen and nice buttons/knobs is Audi A3 gen 8V

1 minute ago, rikitikitavi said:

Trendy bloated infotainment systems on cars, with big/multiple, or even worse “detached”/floating displays. If someone wants to play a game or watch smth, they should be a passenger and they can use a phone/tablet.

Flat bottom steering wheels are stupid. Exception only for sitting in non adjustable bucket seat.

Loved interiors with red lights only, unfortunately even with the modern RGB everything, this is no more. 

Yes, good, tactile buttons and knobs.

A great example of a hiding screen and nice buttons/knobs is Audi A3 gen 8V

Heh.  The red thing was because for a long time the only LED color they could make was red.  Now they can do anything so they do.

5 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Seatback screens in the back seem to be a pretty standard feature (well as standard as it can be) on luxury vehicles now, and I'm not a fan of it. That said, (another seemingly unpopular opinion) a mounted screen is always better than a hand-held one for content consumption in my opinion.

I don't dismiss all in-car entertainment systems. The ones which are basically a modernised version of a car stereo (possibly with GPS and a reversing camera built in) are pretty good.

In contrast, I saw a Nissan ad a few months ago; apparently they now charge per month for access to the entertainment system you already paid for. Why the hell would anyone want to buy a car like that.

4 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Firstly, I wasn't aware cars had RGB interiors.

But secondly - am I missing something here - can't you just set the RGB to solid red and leave it there?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  The red thing was because for a long time the only LED color they could make was red.  Now they can do anything so they do.

‘Anything’ usually means ambient lights on floors and door trims. Unless every button light can be set to red... 

6 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

‘Anything’ usually means ambient lights on floors and door trims. Unless every button light can be set to red... 

there was a brief period where blue was popular too.  Then they made green, but there was never a period for just green.  That period was RGB.  My memory was there was also a purple period, but that was a sort of bright white period because they’d take a purple LED and put a yellow filter on it to make white.  Shoot a slide of one of those interiors though and it still comes out purple.

Some infotainment is better than others but in general there are a few things that should never be controlled through the screen:

1. Volume- please just use a volume knob

2. Climate control- user experience is worsened when I have to tap a screen many times. This includes heated seats.

3. Gear selector- I cant believe I have to  say this, but controlling that through a screen will end in tears

4. Safety systems such as windshield wiper speed and headlights- nothing is gained by doing this but there is a lot to lose if that goes wrong. Just keep it on the stocks please. This also includes turn signals and defrost too.

All these systems cause too much distraction if I have to open them on a screen, or are so important that controlling them on a screen is just foolish. Infotainment can control interior lighting, satnav, radio presets, phone connectivity

1 minute ago, pyral said:

Some infotainment is better than others but in general there are a few things that should never be controlled through the screen:

1. Volume- please just use a volume knob

2. Climate control- user experience is worsened when I have to tap a screen many times. This includes heated seats.

3. Gear selector- I cant believe I have to  say this, but controlling that through a screen will end in tears

4. Safety systems such as windshield wiper speed and headlights- nothing is gained by doing this but there is a lot to lose if that goes wrong. Just keep it on the stocks please. This also includes turn signals and defrost too.

All these systems cause too much distraction if I have to open them on a screen, or are so important that controlling them on a screen is just foolish. Infotainment can control interior lighting, satnav, radio presets, phone connectivity

The way I think about it is follows.

• Is this safety-critical functionality (such as windscreen wipers, turn indicators or headlights?) or functionality which needs to be easily accessible while the vehicle is in motion?
    • If so, put it as a physical control on or near the steering wheel or stalks

• Is it important functionality which is largely the same for everyone, but not safety-critical and can wait until the driver is safely stopped or be operated by a passenger (such a as climate change)
    • If so, put it as a physical control somewhere else - such as the centre

• Or is it something which is not safety-critical and highly variable depending on the user (e.g. GPS, cameras, music)?
    • If so, put it on the touchscreen.

pythonmegapixel