Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
Just now, Donut417 said:

Everyone looks at me funny cause I like Prunes. 

I enjoy prunes as well.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

And how can Anchovies ruin a pizza?

Imho, If the pizza maker treats them like any other topping they can put on way too much. They’re a very powerful flavor.  It can overpower. (It’s an unpopular opinion)

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Everyone looks at me funny cause I like Prunes. 

Prunes have a whole lotta lotta fiber in them.  So much that they’re frequently eaten FOR their fiber content.  They may be waiting for you to sprint to the John.  A prune is basically just a dried plum though.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Prunes have a whole lotta lotta fiber in them.  So much that they’re frequently eaten FOR their fiber content.  They may be waiting for you to sprint to the John.  A prune is basically just a dried plum though.  

All fruits have an increase in fiber when dried. The same with sugar content.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Imho, If the pizza maker treats them like any other topping they can put on way too much. They’re a very powerful flavor.  It can overpower. (It’s an unpopular opinion)

I wonder in Italy if they put more Anchovies on Pizza and other Native Dishes then Americans do?

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

All fruits have an increase in fiber when dried. The same with sugar content.

Increase by weight perhaps.  It would make sense drying removes water and usually only water.

4 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Iodine is added as well

Interesting.  I didn’t know that.  I know they add sulphur to apricots to keep the color.  Unsulphered apricots are a thing. I wonder if uniodinized prunes are a thing.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I wonder in Italy if they put more Anchovies on Pizza and other Native Dishes then Americans do?

Pizza being a “native” Italian dish is a political economic thing rather than an actual thing.  Back in the 80’s Italy was offended by the idea of pizza and you couldn’t get one in a resteraunt in Italy.  When the EU food monopoly laws went through there was this gigantic race to claim pizza.  They had a National contest which lasted years to find a single Italian pizza recipie.  The closest they could get was over a hundred years old and was only very loosely what one might consider a pizza.  Imho the whole thing is ridiculous because tomatoes aren’t even European.  The closest European plant was deadly nightshade which looks a lot like a tomato but will kill you dead with one bite.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

We don't generally make it for consumption however we don't have to, nature has already taken care of that for us. The town I was born in is on a huge salt flat and is one of 3 local towns that have (or had in the past) salt mines.

What is sold in the shops as "table salt" is mostly mined from the Earth and it is pure NaCl (they generally add about 1% anti caking agent to it to stop it from forming clumps).

https://www.saltassociation.co.uk/education/make-salt/white-salt-production/

Yes, once it's been dissolved in water and then filtered and iodine added I don't consider it sea salt. That would be like saying all water you drink is pee.

46 minutes ago, Bitter said:

https://www.saltassociation.co.uk/education/make-salt/white-salt-production/

Yes, once it's been dissolved in water and then filtered and iodine added I don't consider it sea salt. That would be like saying all water you drink is pee.

I prefer to think of it a dinosaurs pee myself

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Pizza being a “native” Italian dish is a political economic thing rather than an actual thing.  Back in the 80’s Italy was offended by the idea of pizza and you couldn’t get one in a resteraunt in Italy.  When the EU food monopoly laws went through there was this gigantic race to claim pizza.  They had a National contest which lasted years to find a single Italian pizza recipie.  The closest they could get was over a hundred years old and was only very loosely what one might consider a pizza.  Imho the whole thing is ridiculous because tomatoes aren’t even European.  The closest European plant was deadly nightshade which looks a lot like a tomato but will kill you dead with one bite.

I find that you couldn't find a Restaurant in Italy willing to sell pizza. Or worse, require a National Contest to find a single Recipe for a dish that was around since Roman Times.

It was a common low cost Meal for Peasants, Workers, Poor, and the like. So most likely the upper classes of Rome and later Italy sneered what the lower classes ate.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I find that you couldn't find a Restaurant in Italy willing to sell pizza. Or worse, require a National Contest to find a single Recipe for a dish that was around since Roman Times.

It was a common low cost Meal for Peasants, Workers, Poor, and the like. So most likely the upper classes of Rome and later Italy sneered what the lower classes ate.

But it wasn’t.  That’s the thing.  Pizza is like lutfisk.  Sure it was done in a country in another era, but they stopped if they even ever did.  There’s a lot of evidence that lutfisk came from Scandinavia but they had to scour for a year to find anything at all in Italy that even looked like pizza. And it Diddnt look much like pizza.  I call shenanigans.  I’ve been doing it on this subject since the 80’s 

Pizza is Italian-american

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

But it wasn’t.  That’s the thing.  Pizza is like lutfisk.  Sure it was done in a country in another era, but they stopped if they even ever did.  There’s a lot of evidence that lutfisk came from Scandinavia but they had to scour for a year to find anything at all in Italy that even looked like pizza. And it Diddnt look much like pizza.  I call shenanigans.  I’ve been doing it on this subject since the 80’s 

Pizza is Italian-american

Actually the Romans did have a dish very close to what is now referring to as Pizza. Here:

Roman Pizza

Once bread was invented, the development of pizza continued in ancient Rome. Here, peasants learned to cross the various types of known farro to create flour (its Italian name farina derives from “far,” which in Latin means faro.) They kneaded the milled wheat flour with water, aromatic herbs and salt. Then they put this round loaf to cook on the hearth, in the hot ashes. The Neapolitans are probably not going to take this very well, but it was the Romans who actually started to use discs of bread to hold saucy dishes—creating round pizzas, more or less, but still distant relatives of the pizzas you can enjoy today under the shadow of Vesuvius. In fact, many ingredients were still missing, some of which remained unknown until centuries later.

We’re almost there...

https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/italian-food/italian-dishes/history-pizza-incredible-tale?refresh_ce=

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Actually the Romans did have a dish very close to what is now referring to as Pizza. Here:

https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/italian-food/italian-dishes/history-pizza-incredible-tale?refresh_ce=

Yep.  Though “close” is a bit of a stretch since the romans didn’t have tomatoes (or ones they wouldn’t kill them in 5 minutes anyway)

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep.  Though “close” is a bit of a stretch since the romans didn’t have tomatoes (or ones they wouldn’t kill them in 5 minutes anyway)

Pizza by what ever name already existed long before Tomatoes were in Europe. And BTW Tomatoes are best eaten fresh.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Pizza by what ever name already existed long before Tomatoes were in Europe. And BTW Tomatoes are best eaten fresh.

You mean risen proofed flat bread with stuff baked on top of it. Seperate focaccia from pizza that way.  Focaccia is a specific thing and so is pizza. 

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You mean risen proofed flat bread with stuff baked on top of it. Seperate focaccia from pizza that way.  Focaccia is a specific thing and so is pizza. 

Please do enlighten me on the differences.

@Bombastinator So far the main difference I see is the amount if yeast added to the Flour, salt, water, and olive oil used make both breads.

And Focaccia is sometimes called pizza bianca...

31 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

@Bombastinator So far the main difference I see is the amount if yeast added to the Flour, salt, water, and olive oil used make both breads.

And Focaccia is sometimes called pizza bianca...

“Pizza Bianca”= “White pizza”. Literally.

White pizza is a pizza with white sauce.  Generally a French originated cheese based hard sauce. They’re modern.  There didn’t used to be such a thing as white pizza.  Iirc it might have been Wolfgang puck that started doing em.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Please do enlighten me on the differences.

So You’re saying pizza and focaccia are the same thing.  I’ll leave that to someone that actually cooks. The line between them has been blurring over the years.  It used to be quite distinct though.  Focaccia is a flatbread.  It’s largely bread. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

“Pizza Bianca”= “White pizza”. Literally.

White pizza is a pizza with white sauce.  Generally a French originated cheese based hard sauce. They’re modern.  There didn’t used to be such a thing as white pizza.  Iirc it might have been Wolfgang puck that started doing em.

I found that out later by searching for the term. I have been buying that at Domino's since at least last year. The Garlic Parmesan Sauce instead of Tomato. 

They have a carry special: $9.95, Large w/ 5 toppings. One is Anchovies.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So You’re saying pizza and focaccia are the same thing.  I’ll leave that to someone that actually cooks. The line between them has been blurring over the years.  It used to be quite distinct though.  Focaccia is a flatbread.  It’s largely bread. 

Well Focaccia has slightly more yeast then pizza dough, and left to rise for a short time vs pizza which is placed in the oven.  I guess both are a type of light leavened flatbread.

9 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Seinfeld isn't that funny.

What is your opinion of "Married with Children"?

Just now, whm1974 said:

What is your opinion of "Married with Children"?

never watched it