Windows 10 Ameliorated Ordered to cease operations due to LTT video

emosun

Summary

Windows 10 Ameliorated Ordered to cease operations just now.

Quotes

Until further notice, the community-run download and seed server as been ordered to cease operations. You are welcome to continue to download and share the torrent independently, we have no control over that.

The website will remain up and running, and will reflect these changes as soon as possible, with a tougher focus on the “do it yourself” methodology. Going forward, we will be focusing on better documentation, as well as shortening and streamlining the overall amelioration process.

We will continue to somehow link to community ISOs, but until we can find a way to do so, in a more legally sound manner, this download option will be frozen on the website.

My thoughts

Well it definitely makes sense when you blab to a few hundreds thousand people about something good. None of the links work so there goes that whole project flushed down the toilet.

Edit: torrent for the project is still operational.

LTT , if you find anything else really cool , please keep it to yourself.

Microsoft will HATE this!

Yes.... you were 100% correct yes.

Sources

https://t.me/s/amereleases?before=15

f

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

It was piracy after all, no matter how they tried to spin it. This was bound to happen.
I'm just surprised it happened so quickly after the video. Surely MS was aware of them before... right?

At least the DIY version should still be possible, but pre-activated ISOs were an obvious no-no. It is not the first time that MS is going after a windows mod, for the distribution of ISOs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

It was piracy after all, no matter how they tried to spin it. This was bound to happen. I'm just surprised it happened so quickly after the video. Surely MS was aware of them before... right?

They don't care bout a few pirated copies , they care about 500,000 pirated copies

14 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Destroying helpful projects for the views 😎

I guarantee that was not the goal here. Idk if you are joking or not though.

I'm also sure @LinusTech and the rest of LMG had no idea something like this would happen to the project by making a video. Honestly, I'm not sure why this video would affect it, since most of LTT's audience is interested in gaming or gaming PCs, I doubt that many would use Windows 10 Ameliorated anyway, considering "hit-or-miss" DX12 support. I think MS blew this out of proportion and should have considered who LMG's main audience is, which I don't believe includes too many people willing to sacrifice things like DX12.

Seeing this happen is a real shame though

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

2 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Honestly, I'm not sure why this video would affect it, since most of LTT's audience is interested in gaming or gaming PCs, I doubt that many would use Windows 10 Ameliorated anyway,

You're forgetting the 2nd most popular operating system on the planet and why those people who run the second most popular operating system on the planet run it. lol

2 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I think MS blew this out of proportion and should have considered who LMG's main audience is, which I don't believe includes too many people willing to sacrifice things like DX12

That's irrelevant, though. Offering pre-activated copies of Windows 10 for download is piracy. How many people actually download it isn't relevant as to whether it is or isn't piracy.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

24 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It was piracy after all, no matter how they tried to spin it. This was bound to happen. I'm just surprised it happened so quickly after the video. Surely MS was aware of them before... right?

At least the DIY version should still be possible, but the pre-compiled ISO was the obvious no-go.

Microsoft almost certainly was aware, however companies are wary of something called the Streisand effect. If they had taken action sooner, they would have needed to file either a suit or issue a cease and desist. After doing that it would have reached the press who would have loved to jump onto 'Big company ruining small independent harmless software tweaker', initiating both bad press and making more people aware of the project even existing and possibly compelling them to seek it out. So leaving it to stay in its own extremely small niche would result in less attention than stepping in. Now the moment that one of the biggest technology YouTubers in the world makes a video on it that audience of a couple of hundred, maybe thousand people becomes potentially millions. At that point the damage is already done and you may as well proceed to take it down. That's why they likely had a cease and desist letter ready at Microsoft Legal just waiting for a large enough influencer to discover it or for it to grow larger naturally.

13 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I guarantee that was not the goal here. Idk if you are joking or not though.

I'm also sure @LinusTech and the rest of LMG had no idea something like this would happen to the project by making a video. Honestly, I'm not sure why this video would affect it, since most of LTT's audience is interested in gaming or gaming PCs, I doubt that many would use Windows 10 Ameliorated anyway, considering "hit-or-miss" DX12 support. I think MS blew this out of proportion and should have considered who LMG's main audience is, which I don't believe includes too many people willing to sacrifice things like DX12.

Seeing this happen is a real shame though

You clearly weren't here back when Windows 10 initially released. People were happily giving up DX12 and any other creature comfort the new OS offered by sticking to 7.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

6 minutes ago, Centurius said:

You clearly weren't here back when Windows 10 initially released. People were happily giving up DX12 and any other creature comfort the new OS offered by sticking to 7.

Yeah windows 10's incentives even to this day are still incredibly minimal.

The real reality is about a 5th of the world was waiting for THIS version of 10. They wanted new hardware compatibility.... and that's it. They don't care about anything else.

For a country like china or other countries that run primarily on pirated versions of windows , this is exactly what they wanted. Just the OS , nothing else. No updates or security , also no tracking , none of that.

Basically if you were running windows 7 for 6 years in hopes a stripped clean pirated version of 10 would eventually be made by the community and not microsoft , then those people have been greatly rewarded for their patience.

3 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Nice conjecture clickbait title.

it existed for months and months and was ordered to stop mere hours after the video released so care to give your own explanation?

Yep, this sounds about right. That sucks tho. I was going to try this I'm not sure if I want to do this myself but yaknow. 

I hope the people behind it are anonymous or they will face jail time.

A while back this guy got jail time for distributing “illegal” Windows recovery disks with refurbished PCs.

After copying Windows discs, electronics recycler faces prison time and massive fine - TechRepublic https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-sues-to-put-electronics-recycler-in-prison-for-copying-windows-recovery-disks/

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

I hope the people behind it are anonymous or they will face jail time.

A while back this guy got jail time for distributing “illegal” Windows recovery disks with refurbished PCs.

After copying Windows discs, electronics recycler faces prison time and massive fine - TechRepublic https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-sues-to-put-electronics-recycler-in-prison-for-copying-windows-recovery-disks/

I think in that specific case, the biggest issue was that the disks were also printed with the Dell and Microsoft logos to make them look like legitimate restore disks. So even if he had the best intentions, those are still literally counterfeited disks. Had he simply provided disks with the Windows installer provided by Microsoft, I don't think he would be in such hot water. It might not be a bad idea either since most machines you would be selling as refurbished units would have hardware that Windows would be able to automatically find drivers for. The need for Recovery Disks honestly is becoming less necessary with how accessible the software is to get and how simple it is to install Windows. It wasn't like Recovery Disks were much simpler to use than the full installer anyways. It just included all of the extra application and utilities OEMs throw in there. And many can be downloaded from the manufacturers' website. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, emosun said:

Summary

Windows 10 Ameliorated Ordered to cease operations just now.

Quotes

My thoughts

Well it definitely makes sense when you blab to a few hundreds thousand people about something good. None of the links work so there goes that whole project flushed down the toilet.

Edit: torrent for the project is still operational.

Yes.... you were 100% correct yes.

Sources

https://t.me/s/amereleases?before=15

This isn't all bad news. In fact, it might be a good thing. The project and website aren't closing-down, the user-guide to make the changes yourself will continue to be available and developed by the those contributing. And now more people are aware of it, so more people can contribute to the project and talk about it, and maybe some trusted sources will make their modified images available on other sites.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Does anyone have a working .torrent link or file? The one on their website doesn't work either.

7 minutes ago, avatarmanz said:

Does anyone have a working .torrent link or file? The one on their website doesn't work either.

Because providing that is essentially helping others to engage in piracy, we would not be doing that here. If someone does post it, the moderators will pull it down quick.

Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.

• Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
  • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.
  • Redistribution of copyrighted software, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

4 hours ago, emosun said:

it existed for months and months and was ordered to stop mere hours after the video released so care to give your own explanation?

Correlation does not equal causation. There's no evidence the LTT video had anything to do with this project being taken down.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Correlation does not equal causation. There's no evidence the LTT video had anything to do with this project being taken down.

Fixed it for you.

Can correlation show causality? | Secret Diary of a Psych Student

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

It was piracy after all, no matter how they tried to spin it.

Its no different than someone downloading the official ISO from then goes ahead and use it unactivated......
(without timelimit with some very easily by-passable limitations, MS doesnt care about average joe using their OS without license, they just want the data......)

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Its no different than someone downloading the official ISO from then goes ahead and use it unactivated......
(without timelimit with some very easily by-passable limitations, MS doesnt care about average joe using their OS without license, they just want the data......)

It is very different. Linus' video wasn't 100% accurate about activation, it hasn't been "removed entirely", that would be impossible. It has been circumvented by using a generic CD Key which is intended for evaluation use and then switching the OS over to KMS activation.

Its essentially doing the exact same thing as those KMS activators do.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It is very different. Linus' video wasn't 100% accurate about activation, it hasn't been "removed entirely", that would be impossible. It has been circumvented by using a generic CD Key which is intended for evaluation use and then switching the OS over to KMS activation.

Its essentially doing the exact same thing as those KMS activators do.

In the end its the same, user get OS without paying......

8 hours ago, emosun said:

yes, because elitism and hoarding fixes everything.