ASRock z790 PG SONIC ATX

Go to solution Solved by TatamiMatt,
14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The weird part is that it has the antenna mounts on the IO shield. ASRock frequently puts antenna mount holes in the IO shield so if you buy a laptop WiFi card in the future, you can easily mount the studs on the IO shield and have what looks like stock WiFi. However, on the half dozen ASRock boards I've used with this system, I've never seen one come with these studs preinstalled that didn't have built in WiFi, and judging by the photos on the product page it shouldn't either. That would lead me to believe that either you manually installed them to upgrade this board to WiFi, or you're the second owner of this board (either you bought it used or it was returned and resold as new with the previous owner forgetting to remove those studs from the board). 

Photo in question for OP

3-L.jpg

I purchased the atx version of this board after watching few videos. Come to realization that the wifi/Bluetooth module is not included on the atx version.

PXL_20240426_065408606.jpg

PXL_20240426_065340963.jpg

38 minutes ago, Nervoussoup101 said:

I purchased the atx version of this board after watching few videos. Come to realization that the wifi/Bluetooth module is not included on the atx version.

PXL_20240426_065408606.jpg

It should be, screw in the antennas onto the gold threaded ports

EDIT: oh, bizarre, it doesnt

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

The board not coming with built in WiFi is not that unusual, plenty of motherboards nowadays don't come with it. The weird part is that it has the antenna mounts on the IO shield. ASRock frequently puts antenna mount holes in the IO shield so if you buy a laptop WiFi card in the future, you can easily mount the studs on the IO shield and have what looks like stock WiFi. However, on the half dozen ASRock boards I've used with this system, I've never seen one come with these studs preinstalled that didn't have built in WiFi, and judging by the photos on the product page it shouldn't either. That would lead me to believe that either you manually installed them to upgrade this board to WiFi, or you're the second owner of this board (either you bought it used or it was returned and resold as new with the previous owner forgetting to remove those studs from the board). 

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The weird part is that it has the antenna mounts on the IO shield. ASRock frequently puts antenna mount holes in the IO shield so if you buy a laptop WiFi card in the future, you can easily mount the studs on the IO shield and have what looks like stock WiFi. However, on the half dozen ASRock boards I've used with this system, I've never seen one come with these studs preinstalled that didn't have built in WiFi, and judging by the photos on the product page it shouldn't either. That would lead me to believe that either you manually installed them to upgrade this board to WiFi, or you're the second owner of this board (either you bought it used or it was returned and resold as new with the previous owner forgetting to remove those studs from the board). 

Photo in question for OP

3-L.jpg

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Entirely loose from this why is the back fan in reverse?

Onto the subject seems you have a preowned board or something where a wifi card had been instaled previously. Try looking for 2 tiny wires that are hidden under that vrm shroud.

Whats under that luke skywalker shroud thingy?

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Whats under that luke skywalker shroud thingy?

It's the Star Wars SSD

https://www.seagate.com/de/de/products/gaming-drives/special-editions/lightsaber-collection-nvme-ssd/

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

It should be, screw in the antennas onto the gold threaded ports

EDIT: oh, bizarre, it doesnt

No module not included nor the antennas I had to purchase separately just to fill the cut outs not that I use wifi but Bluetooth i do I suppose 

57 minutes ago, Nervoussoup101 said:

Yes mate it is thought it would look good maybe haha 

If it coupd be blue to dit the sonict heme a bit then sure. I'd be a shame to loose the theming otherwise.

Also since this is a genuine collectors thingy board keep the box and everything in good condition for when you evebtually upgrade and this thing could be sold.

Just like the starwars gpu's and such they kept a good bit of value and motherboards tend to be one of the big value holders usually.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

If it coupd be blue to dit the sonict heme a bit then sure. I'd be a shame to loose the theming otherwise.

Also since this is a genuine collectors thingy board keep the box and everything in good condition for when you evebtually upgrade and this thing could be sold.

Just like the starwars gpu's and such they kept a good bit of value and motherboards tend to be one of the big value holders usually.

Star wars GPU show me a link that bro please  

8 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Photo in question for OP

3-L.jpg

Yeah manually installed myself. Just strang you buy lower tier version it's included in that but not upper tier sort of speak 

4 minutes ago, Nervoussoup101 said:

Star wars GPU show me a link that bro please  

They are old btw

https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/products/10series/star-wars-galactic-empire-titan-xp-collectors-edition/

Do not buy them. Sure its a 1080ti performance level but the cooler is not great and well for about 800$ used you can have something EXTREMELY better 😛

Also unless these are vertically mounted you kinda miss all the fun and your case doesnt have the space to vert mount and have airflow to the gpu.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

They are old btw

https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/products/10series/star-wars-galactic-empire-titan-xp-collectors-edition/

Do not buy them. Sure its a 1080ti performance level but the cooler is not great and well for about 800$ used you can have something EXTREMELY better 😛

Also unless these are vertically mounted you kinda miss all the fun and your case doesnt have the space to vert mount and have airflow to the gpu.

Hero iv not seen that before shame they don't have newer card. Although tempted to hunt one for the nostalgia. Thank for that bro hero. 

1 hour ago, Nervoussoup101 said:

Hero iv not seen that before shame they don't have newer card. Although tempted to hunt one for the nostalgia. Thank for that bro hero. 

Dont bother really. Spend that money on idk 10 lightsabers or something?

These things whilst still usable for 1080p gaming totally are just terrible value really.

10 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Photo in question for OP

3-L.jpg

I installed them myself today because I couldn't stand seeing the empty cut outs