Windows 10 Ameliorated Ordered to cease operations due to LTT video

emosun

Bound to happen. Also it was a bit scuffed functionality wise too. Really you can do that stuff manually with various tool, for de bloat, turn off, remove and control. 

It's true all that should be there for users, hopefully MS may improve that... 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, TheCoverUp said:

The page dosen't exist anymore so you can't get it for free

I was not aware they had actually ended that program.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

But that's irrelevant. Microsoft owns Windows, they can do whatever they want with it. Someone else offering modified Windows for download is piracy, even if it doesn't functionally make much sense.

True, just thought it was worth pointing out there is an alternative, or rather was one, that you could get directly from M$.

Kinda sucks they ended that program.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The real reason is the stripped down version, cannot phone home. Microsoft don’t like that, how else are they going to send you targeted ads when they don’t know your shopping habit.

Actually, the telemetry is mostly to track crashes, stability and performance issues with OS builds. You kinda need that when you fire 3/4 of your QA team...

1 hour ago, rrubberr said:

That's a funny way to say "spying on users."

No, it's literally a reality when you do fire 3/4 of the QA team... You don't fix things ahead of releases, you fix them after the fact. And that's done through Insiders who are external beta testers and telemetry on end consumers, which are external final version testers. So to speak.

I don't think it was LTT's intention to kill a project like this, I think he just wanted to show enthusiasm for something like this. Its a shame Microsoft killed the project but also at the same time can you blame them? Its their OS and they reserve the rights to do this.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Yet another perfect example of why you should always host such sites outside of the jurisdiction the country you are in and avoid leaking any information that my track back to you as the operator of the content on the site.

That way morally acceptable but illegal sites can stay up without worry.

I have to agree though, LTT was a bit to 'open' about 10 Ameliorated. Perhaps they should have omitted specifics about the site and operators of this version of W10.

Its the same with the discussion about testing games before you buy. In principle its fine, but u dont go around linking or telling everyone the name of sites in which u can get said games to test. You discuss such ideas, u can show limited  examples, but u dont show or get specific about the parts that are technically illegal otherwise ull end up ruining it for everyone.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Good, good.

Emperor_Good.jpg.10697f04fc734031e585bfa47078a7c3.jpg

The transition away from Windows entirely is almost complete.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Some people are just throwing insults at this project without critically thinking about what its for. If youre confused about why it exists, please read this.

Why are people concerned about microsoft harvesting their data?

Conversations about who harvests your data and who doesnt is always really weird, because there is usually little evidence for it, but privacy is not currently a right that most countries give, and the cases that do come up that make it clear that data is being harvested makes people wonder how deep it really goes.

Because everything is so proprietary, we can mostly just assume based on what we know. Microsoft probably harvests your data, and uses it for profit, that is what is most likely. There are so many back doors that come to light being built into the things we use, and the terms of service for these things often give up a very large amount of control to the software maker. Things such as Intel management engine exist, and these shady terms of use exist, so its very reasonable to assume that when you use a lot of proprietary software, your privacy is being forfeited as well.

Whether or not people agree with it in terms of service is besides the point, there is a strange culture around accepting them anyways, and that system really needs to be looked at for how easy it is for a person to brush off. Microsoft will say whatever they need to for good PR, so accounts of internal practices are just as trustworthy as the conspiracy theory people throwing around "microsoft did this, google did that" with no real evidence. The reason people talk about these companies this way, is often not because they absolutely know, its because we have enough information about their other practices to reasonably infer that this is the norm in the industry. I think its healthy for people to be skeptical of them for these reasons, and to encourage other people to be skeptical as well.

Who is Windows 10 Ameliorated for?

Its for people who are maybe on older hardware, grew up using windows and maybe dont want to spend all that time learning new systems, whose computer gets broken by windows update frequently, and need to run specific things without the hassle of wine and all that junk. It is not a useless project, it is really neat, and I support it fully for the preservation of old hardware that doesnt respond will to all those extra background processes. Having an option with telemetry stripped out is never a bad thing, it allows people who are accustomed to windows and have concerns about personal privacy to continue using it without as much of a worry for their data. Im not saying we have any evidence, Im saying its reasonable to assume that they are profiting from user data and worrying about it is healthy for us as a society.

Having options is never a bad thing, the author(s) of the project clearly wanted it to exist, that shows that its useful to someone, even if you think its stupid.

Why would you want a version of windows with less features that is harder to maintain?

Windows updates are not something that everyone finds important, and in some cases it can cause serious problems for the user. Users that are more tech-oriented are the people who will be using this anyways, so maintaining it is not an issue for them. It may be less secure, but I always say that the best antivirus is common sense and lots of backups. There are people who just dont use all of the missing features but also dislike the headaches they bring to the table.

Is it linus' fault that it got taken down?

No, he found it really interesting and cool, and made a video about it because he wanted to share. That is completely within character for him, and I think he was genuinely excited to show his viewers. He did not mean any harm towards the project. Its microsoft's fault, they chose to pursue it, which Im perfectly aware is within their legal rights to do, but they are the ones who decided to have it taken down.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

20 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I hope the people behind it are anonymous or they will face jail time.

Think they are based in EU where things like this is legal. 

23 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Good, good.

Emperor_Good.jpg.10697f04fc734031e585bfa47078a7c3.jpg

The transition away from Windows entirely is almost complete.

Name checks out. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

20 hours ago, Kroon said:

Think they are based in EU where things like this is legal. 

Mate I wasn't the one who typed that. Quit framing me. This isn't mainstream media. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

58 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Mate I wasn't the one who typed that. Quit framing me. This isn't mainstream media. 

I'm so sorry, did't realise and no clue how that could happen!  All I can do is admit my wrongdoing and apologise. 

Again sorry!!

1 hour ago, Kroon said:

I'm so sorry, did't realise and no clue how that could happen!  All I can do is admit my wrongdoing and apologise. 

Again sorry!!

At least you are willing to apologize. One step up mainstream media.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 9/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, emosun said:

They don't care bout a few pirated copies , they care about 500,000 pirated copies

Seems they mostly care about market share and possibly removal of their spyware.  You can still find a windows 7 key off a dead landfill computer and it will let you install windows 10 for free directly from Microsoft...  Even if its been used 100 times.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 9/6/2020 at 2:07 AM, emosun said:

None of the links work so there goes that whole project flushed down the toilet.

Considering the DIY guide is still available and they can't shut down the torrents I'd say this is a minor problem

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Welp, I expected this.

The moment Linus said that they removed the activation, I said to myself, "they went to far, won't last long"

I strongly believe if they didn't remove it, then Microsoft would have not done anything. We have seen that this version of Windows 10 is extremely inconvenient, and I would just use Linux distro at this point.

MS Windows isn't open source. MS 100% controls that platform. It's in the EULA.

What I suspect going forward will be a re-coding of the OS that includes file signing with a checksum for (anti-malware) purposes while at the same time preventing 3rd party apps/support from butchering the OS in a way that MS disavows. In a way, they already do with Windows Secure Boot, but I suspect this will be more enforced.

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

MS Windows isn't open source. MS 100% controls that platform. It's in the EULA.

What I suspect going forward will be a re-coding of the OS that includes file signing with a checksum for (anti-malware) purposes while at the same time preventing 3rd party apps/support from butchering the OS in a way that MS disavows. In a way, they already do with Windows Secure Boot, but I suspect this will be more enforced.

It is isn't "Windows Secure Boot", it is "Secure Boot", part of UEFI specs. Some Linux distro, like Ubuntu, use it to secure it's own boot manager system. 

* Thread cleaned *

Please do not post links to the ISO, this falls into the forum's piracy rule (regardless of what is posted on the YT channel) ;

Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.

• Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
  • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.
  • Redistribution of copyrighted software, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

"hours after the video was posted"

Lets use some common sense here and a proper understanding of how the legal process works.

A cease and desist order must be signed off by or approved by a Judge or an Adjutant. This is a multi-stage process that can take days to weeks to get. NOT Hours.

Thusly Microsoft was already in the process of issuing this to those responsible prior to LTT's video.  This was not Linus, LMG or LTT's fault. In order for Linus to be implicated in any of this Microsoft had to have an insight to LTT making and posting this before hand... well before and listing them in the order as a source.

If a cease and desist was issue by Microsoft' lawyers without the due process then Microsoft screwed up, big. And I doubt Microsoft is ignorant to the process.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Lets use some common sense here and a proper understanding of how the legal process works.

A cease and desist order must be signed off by or approved by a Judge or an Adjutant. This is a multi-stage process that can take days to weeks to get. NOT Hours.

Thusly Microsoft was already in the process of issuing this to those responsible prior to LTT's video.  This was not Linus, LMG or LTT's fault. In order for Linus to be implicated in any of this Microsoft had to have an insight to LTT making and posting this before hand... well before and listing them in the order as a source.

If a cease and desist was issue by Microsoft' lawyers without the due process then Microsoft screwed up, big. And I doubt Microsoft is ignorant to the process.

All true.

Aside from that, even if it was "LMG's Fault" (and that's how Microsoft learned about it), so what? They didn't do anything wrong (aside from possible irresponsible statements during the video, I haven't finished it so I cannot confirm that). Even if Microsoft saw the LMG video and went "Hey we should take that ISO down", that's on Microsoft, not LMG.

Aside from that, I personally wouldn't touch this kind of modified version of Windows, that breaks important core functionality like Updates.

Pausing updates for a few months until people vet them? That's one thing, and a totally reasonable position for people to take. Breaking updates so that they are quite literally impossible to run? That's irresponsible, given how many security exploits are discovered in any OS these days - let alone Windows itself.

But, that's each users decision and risk to take. If you were gonna do that, you might as well just run Windows 7.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I personally wouldn't touch this kind of modified version of Windows, that breaks important core functionality like Updates

And i wouldn't mess with a version of windows that had windows updates as that's far more likely to break core functionality lol

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

And i wouldn't mess with a version of windows that had windows updates as that's far more likely to break core functionality lol

Yep, they forcing updates because ppl wasnt installing them. Now they giving incentive to ppl to simply go and "sc delete wuauserv" in an admin prompt  Because installing updates is like russian roulette. Maybe it wont do any harm, maybe it will only break some functions, or soft brick the machine, or simply wipe data (be it files or partitions).......

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

There are C&D orders and C&D letters. Microsoft can write and send-out their own C&D letters without government or court involvement.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cease-and-desist.asp

https://www.upcounsel.com/cease-and-desist

Though, the OP doesn't make clear which the Win 10 Ameliorated project received. They could have received a C&C letter and reported they've been ordered to stop distributing their modified Windows image.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 9/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, TetraSky said:

I'm just surprised it happened so quickly after the video. Surely MS was aware of them before... right?

Lots of times, companies will turn a blind eye to something until it gets too big or they get it rubbed in their face, and then they have to take action.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎