Intel announces $10 billion share buyback

Jet_ski

Summary

Intel shares are on the rise after the chip company announced a $10 billion accelerated stock repurchase program. After completion the buyback, Intel said it will have repurchased $17.6 billion of the $20 billion authorization it announced in October 2019.

Intel said it’s funding the buyback with existing cash resources. It expects to complete the remaining $2.4 billion of the $20 billion repurchase program “when markets stabilize.”

Quotes

Intel Corp rose after announcing a $10 billion share buyback plan.

My thoughts

This is disappointing. Intel’s competitors are all making big moves: Apple is going ARM, Nvidia is dominating the GPU as a processor market, AMD is making excellent new stuff. So what’s Intel’s response? Not R&D, not 7nm processors, not making good CUDA equivalents. No. They want to buyback their stocks because the CEO thinks the stocks is cheap ever since the stock tanked because the 7nm was delayed again.

Sources

Intel CEO Says Its Stock Is Too Cheap. Here’s What He’s Doing About It. https://www.barrons.com/articles/intel-stock-jumps-on-10-billion-stock-buyback-51597876288

7 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Summary

Intel shares are on the rise after the chip company announced a $10 billion accelerated stock repurchase program. After completion the buyback, Intel said it will have repurchased $17.6 billion of the $20 billion authorization it announced in October 2019.

Intel said it’s funding the buyback with existing cash resources. It expects to complete the remaining $2.4 billion of the $20 billion repurchase program “when markets stabilize.”

Quotes

My thoughts

This is disappointing. Intel’s competitors are all making big moves: Apple is going ARM, Nvidia is dominating the GPU as a processor market, AMD is making excellent new stuff. So what’s Intel’s response? Not R&D, not 7nm processors, not making good CUDA equivalents. No. They want to buyback their stocks because the CEO thinks the stocks is cheap ever since the stock tanked because the 7nm was delayed again.

Sources

Intel CEO Says Its Stock Is Too Cheap. Here’s What He’s Doing About It. https://www.barrons.com/articles/intel-stock-jumps-on-10-billion-stock-buyback-51597876288

That's technically the right thing to do from company point of view, but always a waste of money that the shareholders would rather have as a dividend.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That's technically the right thing to do from company point of view, but always a waste of money that the shareholders would rather have as a dividend.

I agree I feel like intel stocks are gonna crash tbh, may be a good time to buy...

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

everyone is saying that the stock has risen but i dont see that, there was jump of about $1 but then it dropped right back to around the same its been for a while now, so unless im missing something, all this is doing is taking some power back from the shareholders as far as i can see 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

4 minutes ago, themaniac said:

everyone is saying that the stock has risen but i dont see that, there was jump of about $1 but then it dropped right back to around the same its been for a while now, so unless im missing something, all this is doing is taking some power back from the shareholders as far as i can see 

It popped ~3.5% in afterhours then fell down. This news is from yesterday. 

Source: I have some OTM options at the moment so I am watching intel like a hawk. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

@Jet_ski please no clickbait titles, in particular in the Tech News section. Would you please choose a more relevant title.

• The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@Jet_ski please no clickbait titles, in particular in the Tech News section. Would you please choose a more relevant title.

• The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.

Np, I changed the title.

Stock buy backs are common, last year apple spent $50-60B buying back stock (5 x what Intel have).    It's rarely the result of a product thing but a financial thing, because you need excess cash to do it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well if you're gonna spend 10B on buybacks may as well do it after your stock drops by 20%, helps buoy it back up and hey 20% free shares

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

intels does by backs as AMD hits almost 90$ a share.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Stock buy backs are common, last year apple spent $50-60B buying back stock (5 x what Intel have).    It's rarely the result of a product thing but a financial thing, because you need excess cash to do it.

This. It is not an unusual business practice, if the conditions are right. 

I don't know the source of the following phrase and haven't been able to turn it up. "If it takes a woman 9 months to make baby, how long does it take 9 women?". This is where Intel's process problems are at the moment. Throwing more money at it doesn't speed things up. It will take time to execute.

So if they are cash rich, what can they do with it? Buy other companies? This is only done it if adds value to the overall organisation. The wrong purchase can cost badly. Try to give shareholder value? If the stock price is lower than target this is an ideal approach. Also note that stock buyback is not an instant or overnight thing. They don't just snap up every share put up for sale. It is a gradual effect over time. What else can they do, lower pricing? This isn't a great idea if they have a pot of cash from previous sales. Individual products have to be realistically priced on their own. If they drop too low (below reasonable costs), that could be seen as anti-competitive behaviour.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

This. It is not an unusual business practice, if the conditions are right. 

I don't know the source of the following phrase and haven't been able to turn it up. "If it takes a woman 9 months to make baby, how long does it take 9 women?". This is where Intel's process problems are at the moment. Throwing more money at it doesn't speed things up. It will take time to execute.

So if they are cash rich, what can they do with it? Buy other companies? This is only done it if adds value to the overall organisation. The wrong purchase can cost badly. Try to give shareholder value? If the stock price is lower than target this is an ideal approach. Also note that stock buyback is not an instant or overnight thing. They don't just snap up every share put up for sale. It is a gradual effect over time. What else can they do, lower pricing? This isn't a great idea if they have a pot of cash from previous sales. Individual products have to be realistically priced on their own. If they drop too low (below reasonable costs), that could be seen as anti-competitive behaviour.

Add to that that Intel are already paying a dividend on their shares anyway,  so effectively turning cash deposits into further dividends wouldn't necessarily add enough to please investors, rising the price of the stock over the next few months a with a buy back could though.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well, that’s one way to keep the stock price stable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

To put in perspective, this is more cash being spent on a buyback than AMD made in revenue in all of 2019.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Apple recently did a 1-to-4 stock split recently, didn't they? o_o

not sure, I'd have to look it up.  I don't have any apple shares. Wish I did though.  I'd retire today.

I do have a question. How does a buy back work? Does the company contact shareholders to see who wants to sell? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I do have a question. How does a buy back work? Does the company contact shareholders to see who wants to sell? 

No. They buy the shares in the open market from whoever sells their shares while the buyback is happening.

Hahaha, you're complaining about Intel not spending on R&D? Last year they spent 10x what AMD did.

You make it seem like graphics cards and CPUs have a one year research cycle. You couldn't be more wrong.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

what will happen after buyback?

nobody want it any more and sells all to further decrease stock value, then amd or other can take over whole company by aquisition

hope not coming true

22 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

intels does by backs as AMD hits almost 90$ a share.

You can’t compare share cost from one company to another, that’s not how it works.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

what will happen after buyback?

The shares that are taken by the buyback essentially disappear from the pool of traded shares. That's why value goes up, the company is split over fewer shares, so existing owners have a bigger share of the company.

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Like the other reply says, it is done on the open market. Even that isn't as simple as it sounds. They don't just immediately buy every share that comes up for sale, as that will prevent others from buying shares. It means sellers could just jack up the asking price to excessive levels. So there is some moderation in the buying so that regular traders can still obtain shares, and they don't buy the high priced offers which would in effect be a short term spike but not a lasting increase.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 8/20/2020 at 11:55 PM, Kisai said:

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Wouldn't a shareholder make more in the short term by selling their stock back, than they would collecting the dividend? 

To my understanding, most stock holders care more about buying and selling their stocks/shares than they do about dividends to begin with. From what I understand it's part of the problem with the stock market to begin with. They only care about short term growth, leading to crappy business practices instead of long term brand stability. 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Wouldn't a shareholder make more in the short term by selling their stock back, than they would collecting the dividend? 

To my understanding, most stock holders care more about buying and selling their stocks/shares than they do about dividends to begin with. From what I understand it's part of the problem with the stock market to begin with. They only care about short term growth, leading to crappy business practices instead of long term brand stability. 

If there was no high speed trading going on, stock values would only go up individually and you could safely invest in the stock market. However high speed trading results in everything listed on the NASDAQ, NYSE and TSX all moving in tandem to the same news (eg a certain president shooting his mouth off). At least if you buy a stock that has a dividend, the dividend pays predictable amount per month/quarter of the present value and even if it gains or loses value and the dividend only goes away if the stock loses so much money it has to take on debt to pay it.