COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's not the doctors who unplugged it. It's the deceased man's family member who did it, after they cannot find an extra outlet for the cooler. I would assume, they would have immediately plugged it back in, if the ventilator shuts down immediately and give off some alert after it was unplugged. Because battery power kicked in, they thought it wasn't the ventilator, only to confused by it, when it ran out of power half an hour later, and thought the machine just stopped working.

Another reason why machines providing life support shouldn't be able to get unplugged so easily.

Also, family members shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a patient suspected of having the virus until they're cleared.

16 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Another reason why machines providing life support shouldn't be able to get unplugged so easily.

Also, family members shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a patient suspected of having the virus until they're cleared.

The man's test did came back negative of Covid-19, so that's why his family member are with him. Life support machines not getting unplugged so easily. The only thing I can think of is, say the outlet is behind some casing that can be only accessed with a key to open the door,  or have sign that says do not unplug! Anyway they shouldn't just randomly touch anything while they're at a hospital.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

The man's test did came back negative of Covid-19, so that's why his family member are with him.

I was confused about whether he died before or after the test results, didn't read the article tbh.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

The only thing I can think of is, say the outlet is behind some casing that can be only accessed with a key to open the door

I was thinking the same thing.

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

have sign that says do not unplug! Anyway they shouldn't just randomly touch anything while they're at a hospital.

Unfortunately this only works for people who choose to follow what's written, or even choose to read it.

People will touch things that have "do not touch" signs next to them, so you can't underestimate how stupidity/ignorance works.

52 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What I'm curious about, was that man is such a bad state, where they must put him on a ventilator, or don't really need to, but they still did it anyway.

Given the invasiveness involved in shoving a tube down your throat or through the trachea, I really don’t imagine most doctors want to willingly put someone on a ventilator unless they’ve reason to believe that not doing so will probably prove fatal. Unless the doctor is a closet sadist maybe.  

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

I was confused about whether he died before or after the test results, didn't read the article tbh.

The man died after his Covid-19 test came back negative.
Here is the break down of events

• June 13, 2020 - 40 year old man admitted into ICU after suspecting of having Covid-19. His Covid-19 test came back negative
  • June 15, 2020 - He was transferred into a isolation ward, after finding out another patient in the ICU he was in, was tested positive for Covid-19.
  • Family came to visit man who is in isolation ward, and the room was very hot
  • Family bought an air cooler and wanted to plug it in, but they cannot find any extra outlets
  • The unplug the only outlet that was being used for the air cooler
  • The device that was unplugged happened to be the ventilator the man was hooked up to
  • Half hour later, ventilator ran out of power and man died.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Given the invasiveness involved in shoving a tube down your throat or through the trachea, I really don’t imagine most doctors want to willingly put someone on a ventilator unless they’ve reason to believe that not doing so will probably prove fatal. Unless the doctor is a closet sadist maybe.  

The tool to prepare the tube to be shoved down the throat and through the trachea, does look like a sickle used by the Grim Reaper.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The tool to prepare the tube to be shoved down the throat and through the trachea, does look like a sickle used by the Grim Reaper.

Ahh, I presume you mean the laryngoscope... It was quite interesting using them on dogs and cats. You wanna talk medieval? Let's talk about the mouth props (it fits over the canines and applies spring pressure). 

And I meant that the family showed no common sense when they unplugged the ventilator. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

SFGate has a good survivor testimonial piece that I'd recommend sharing any time one of those "it's just like the flu" science deniers gets in your face.

Just because you've survived COVID-19 doesn't mean you'll be in tip-top shape.  If you experience more than a bad fever, you may spend months getting your lungs and other faculties back to normal.  You may need a lung transplant.  In the worst non-lethal cases, you may be permanently crippled.  And yes, these consequences can happen to young, fit people, so we shouldn't pretend that we just have to keep older people sheltered.

This is one reason why I take social distancing and masks seriously.  I'm not that worried that I might die; I'm worried that my lungs will be so badly damaged that I'll never go to the gym (or even run for the bus) again.  And even if I don't suffer any serious consequences, I don't want to risk inflicting that kind of suffering on others.

31 minutes ago, Commodus said:

SFGate has a good survivor testimonial piece that I'd recommend sharing any time one of those "it's just like the flu" science deniers gets in your face.

Even with accounts like that it doesn’t help in my situation. My household member counters me with stories like this:

This was after Dr. Scott Jensen, a Minnesota physician and Republican state senator, told a local station he received a 7-page document coaching him to fill out death certificates with a Covid-19 diagnosis without a lab test to confirm the patient actually had the virus.

Dr. Jensen also disclosed that hospitals are paid more if they list patients with a Covid-19 diagnosis.

https://accountingweekly.com/us-hospitals-getting-paid-to-list-patients-as-covid-19/

They’re not science denies per se, but stories like above make them think the virus isn’t as dangerous or widespread here as it really is. One of their potential hires later got diagnosed with Covid though. 

Of course there will always be those lowlifes that take advantage of a situation like this.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

4 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Even with accounts like that it doesn’t help in my situation. My household member counters me with stories like this:

https://accountingweekly.com/us-hospitals-getting-paid-to-list-patients-as-covid-19/

They’re not science denies per se, but stories like above make them think the virus isn’t as dangerous or widespread here as it really is. One of their potential hires later got diagnosed with Covid though. 

Of course there will always be those lowlifes that take advantage of a situation like this.

Surely if that was happening there would be some evidence to back it up.  How can people just take what is said at face value let alone what a politician says at that.

FFS,  just shows how selectively gullible people really are,  if that politician told them they had to raise taxes on such loose and weak reasoning would they believe it and pay up?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

True, there are people who will believe what they want to believe, truth be damned... just look at US politics.  I'd still share articles like that, but sadly they might not budge unless they or someone they know gets seriously ill from the virus (I hope that doesn't happen, of course).

Some countries have been devastated by the novel coronavirus, and others have escaped lightly.

Why the extreme differences? The main one is that countries that quickly resorted to widespread mask-wearing had far lower death rates and shorter outbreaks, a new study argues.

The authors looked at coronavirus death rates in 198 countries, trying to see why some had painfully high death rates and others very low.

“What we found was that of the big variables that you can control which influence mortality, one was wearing masks,” says Christopher Leffler of Virginia Commonwealth University, one of the study’s authors.

“It wasn’t just by a few per cent, it was up to a hundred times less mortality. The countries that introduced masks from the very beginning of their outbreak have had hardly any deaths.”

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

That's interesting because Australia who started on the same curve as most countries but did not have many wearing masks, in fact the official advice was to only wear them if you are sick in any way.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

why is there no contact tracing app for my state illinois ... why isnt there a country wide contact tracing app

This has come full circle here.

Counties wanted to implement their own rules related to Covid and not Newsom.

The governor obliged because counties know their region best.

ermaGurd help ussss Newsom.

San Diego's Board of Supervisors voted 4-1 to send a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom requesting more reopening guidance, after hitting pause on reopening businesses last week due to community outbreaks.

The request comes after the county paused any reopenings, even if approved by the state, on Friday after reporting eight community outbreaks in a week. Monday, the county reported 10 community outbreaks.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/san-diego-county-asks-gov-newsom-for-more-reopening-guidance-days-after-hitting-pause

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

why is there no contact tracing app for my state illinois ... why isnt there a country wide contact tracing app

A couple very shot-in-the-dark guesses come to mind.

The first is that it’s probably extremely difficult to ensure anonymity when the original design goal is to track those you’ve been near, even with Bluetooth and locally stored data. Encryption of static identifiers is an option during transit, however, how can key exchanges be managed between stranger devices that can also prevent third party devices from picking up identifiers from every device walking nearby? A large number of Raspberry Pis running a custom Android build and modified tracing app could probably collect a lot of location data this way. How do you keep the Pis out while still achieving the objective?

If developers and the major storefronts (App Store, Google Play) take an absolute stance against yielding any privacy, the wait will probably be long. 

The other hurdle I see is a cultural and (if you favor more authoritarian approaches) a legal one. There is already substantial difficulty in getting much of the populous here to don face coverings. It will be a major battle to get a majority of civilians to download a contact tracing app of their own accord. Increasing the userbase by force probably won’t fly here either, as  1: the legislation simply isn’t there in any capacity to enforce an individual duty as to what goes onto a device, and 2: attempting to force Apple/Google to install contact tracing apps on or within their OSs will violate first amendment rights. 

At best, business could be provided the authority to deny entrance to anyone (employee and guests) without the contact tracing app installed. However, this is easily circumvented, among other means by using an old beater device. Carry my main driver device most places with no tracing app. Swap the SIM and bring the old phone with tracing app to work. Security lets me in. Swap the SIM back. Profit. 

There are also people that don’t have smartphones (I know a couple). Are they to be denied employment or groceries for not wanting to spend $$$ on an electronic device? Don’t think enforcement through businesses would work in a manner that is fair, hence I don’t think this would occur. 

If the likelihood of uptake is low, spending resources to the app may not yield terrific results. 

My eyes see the past…

He’s probably my favorite Russian YouTuber now 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Citation needed, Elon!

As innovative as he is, he has a pretty clear blind spot when it comes to COVID-19... he sees it as an attack on his business.

The only way I would begin to even think it might be plausible, would be if the number of tests they claim are being carried out is well above the number of tests that can be produced and shipped.     Because that way we would know there was at least something wrong.

Just got word today that I have two family members with covid, due entirely on one of them going out and mingling with people at nightclubs/bars (oh boy). Worst part is that someone in their household checks basically every box in the "high risk" list, so they're going to have to figure out some form of quarantining. 

I hope for everyone dealing with this themselves, or that knows someone that is, or that's trying their best to do what they can to not get it, stay safe out there. Your diligence is important.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Newsom ordered bars to be closed in multiple counties in CA. Mine is exempt.

San Diego County public health officials reported a single-day record of 497 new positive COVID-19 cases and one additional death Sunday, bringing the county's totals to 13,334 cases and 361 fatalities.

Sunday marked the seventh time in eight days that health authorities reported more than 300 new COVID-19 cases.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/single-day-record-of-497-new-covid-19-cases-reported-in-san-diego-county/509-e58af3be-288c-434f-bb43-62488bf54c32

Wonder how long that exemption will last.

54 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Newsom ordered bars to be closed in multiple counties in CA. Mine is exempt.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/single-day-record-of-497-new-covid-19-cases-reported-in-san-diego-county/509-e58af3be-288c-434f-bb43-62488bf54c32

Wonder how long that exemption will last.

Placerville appears to be exempt as well. Lots of small town bars around here that would probably fly under the radar should they choose to directly violate a closure anyway.  

Don’t think Newsom will go with a full shut down again though. Given the massive budget deficits (paying out Unemployment is expensive), substantial civil disobedience (even more so than March), and few local officials (outside the Bay area and LA) willing to strictly enforce such measures, the resources aren’t there to institute a state-wide lockdown, short of dipping into the wildfire fund perhaps. 

Tbh, I suspect state financials probably had a hand in Newsom lifting stay-at-home orders in the first place. The push to reopening was quite sudden in clear contrast to the cautiousness that Newsom originally displayed. I don’t think the governor would’ve been so hasty to reopen if there wasn’t a pressing need.  

My eyes see the past…

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, I suspect state financials probably had a hand in Newsom lifting stay-at-home orders in the first place. The push to reopening was quite sudden in clear contrast to the cautiousness that Newsom originally displayed. I don’t think the governor would’ve been so hasty to reopen if there wasn’t a pressing need.  

I just need to look at Imperial County with their alarming 23% positive test rate. He urged them to reinstate their stay at home order and would intervene if needed. However, it’s still up to local officials.

Governor Gavin Newsom on Friday urged Imperial County to reimpose stay-home orders amid a surge in positive coronavirus tests there as officials in several counties also expressed concern over rising positive test rates and hospitalizations.

Newsom said Imperial County leaders would be permitted to decide on how to proceed, but if they don’t agree to act “I am committed to intervening.”

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/gov-newsom-to-imperial-county-im-committed-to-intervening/2354780/

I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. To the north is the county with the most confirmed cases in the US (LA) and to the east is Imperial County. We get visitors from both places frequently.

Update: called it :/ some ruin it for everyone. Although the decision was made locally.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/san-diego-county-shuts-down-bars-breweries-again/2356178/

San Diego County ordered all bars, wineries and breweries that do not serve food to close by the end of the month, officials announced Monday.

“We will be closing all bars, wineries and breweries in San Diego County that do not have a license to serve food,” Supervisor Nathan Fletcher said.

Edited by PhantomJaguar77

21 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Snippity 

Kind of an evil/devious idea here, but what if State governors provides a motive of sorts to get more people to willing comply with masks and social distancing. Something along the lines of:

”Due to hospital resources being stretched thin, speed limits on all of the State’s roadways have been cut to reduce injury risk. Traffic fines and points/demerits are to be doubled while the emergency limits are in effect. This is to remain in place until hospitals are and will operate within safe operating capacity for the foreseeable future. “

A 40 MPH speed limit on all freeways (even lower for other streets) will certainly prove quite inconvenient (but will still allow people to go about their working lives within reason), but that is kind of the idea. A constant, irritating, nagging thorn that many will want to be rid of ASAP, and will probably be more motivated in taking the measures to make that happen. Given that driving is a privilege instead of a right, there shouldn’t be any ground for legal challenges to be brought up. And would probably be comparatively inexpensive to implement. 

Now to return to my spot in Passive Aggressives Anonymous. 😛

My eyes see the past…