COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Welp, the state I am in has just had a major resurgence.  All in lockdown again in the Melbourne.   Stupid state government of ours decided to enforce hotel quarantines using private security,  who just ignored the orders and took tax payer money to do absolutely nothing.  Meanwhile every other state secured hotels with police or defense force and don't have this issue. 

Sorry about that. But this story from your country made me chuckle. If only we could crackdown on violations like that in my State. A lot of outbreaks are coming from gatherings of those not inside their households. Like this unfortunate soul:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-man-who-posted-regret-attending-party-died-day-later-n1232675

Australian police busted a birthday party that violated newly-imposed strict lockdown laws after tracking a large order of Kentucky Fried Chicken. 

https://www.insider.com/australian-police-issue-fines-after-tracking-kfc-order-to-party-2020-7

Edited by PhantomJaguar77
added more proof

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

11 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Mind you, in my city now there's even ICU beds in hospitals that are nearing capacity.

As someone who has seen actually seem patient admissions exceeding bed capacities, it is very emotionally devastating and frustrating to both the patient and the family member/s who came to the ER but got turned down because there are no available beds. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

I do really hope a vaccine will pass both phase 3 and 4 and not get stuck on phases 1 and 2. So far, the ones from Moderna, Pfizer, and the Imperial College of London are the most promising ones. 
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html 

3268C411-1303-45C9-AD22-0C5525E56B54.jpeg

From what I understand both  Ad5-CoV and Moderna are in Phase III. The picture above is incorrect, instead of approval is is phase IV, or post-licensure. This stage is  essential for safety in rare outcomes. 

The Ad5-CoV is the vaccine by CanSino. Probably the most straightforward, I believe its a recombinant S-protein vaccine based on a prior SARS-CoV vaccine using the CBD domain. (The RBD portion - for an effective vaccine we typically need dominant antibodies toward the virus component involved in replication, however strong enough to elicit TDAR)

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

From what I understand both  Ad5-CoV and Moderna are in Phase III. The picture above is incorrect, instead of approval is is phase IV, or post-licensure. This stage is  essential for safety in rare outcomes. 

I hope none of these companies will cut corners considering that antivaxxers will make stories on how vaccines don’t work or will cause autism or whatever. 

Edited by captain_to_fire
Changed it because I was pissed during the first reply because of school shit. Now I’ve cooled off.

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I hope none of these companies will cut corners considering that antivaxxers will make stories on how vaccines don’t work or will cause autism or whatever. 

Phase III trials have been cut in previous vaccination programmes, e.g NZ Meningococcal B vaccine, due to the outbreak at the time. 

I am a little worried about vaccine uptake however due to anti-vaccers and the “anti 5-G” movement. Remember we have to get around 65% immunity for herd immunity to work (based off R - 2.45, which is an old value)

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Tomorrow, masks become mandatory on all public transport. Bus, metro or whatever else in my Province. (Quebec)

Then, on the 27, they should also be mandatory for any closed public area, like stores and what not, in my city. (Montreal)

The gov is thinking about implementing it province wide, but I haven't heard much on that. I don't think they will.

It should've been done sooner. But there's still too many people who refuse to wear masks, young and old... Pretty sure there's even some "organized protests" in the work to take public transport without a mask by some entitled folks who were likely dropped when they were babies. Because nothing says "sticking it to the man", as disregarding your health and the health of others because a post on facebook said you should do something stupid.

I personally wear one whenever I go to the store now. Have been for the past month and a half or so. Didn't have one before because I leave the house maybe twice a month and I live alone... so it didn't matter much to me.

But with all that we find out about Covid symptoms, how it can leave lasting effects even on "healthy" people, I'd rather not take any chances. At least it reduce my chances of getting it by whatever low percentage a mask does, as well as not propagating it as much if I do end up getting it. Even 1% less chances of getting it by wearing a mask is literally better than nothing at all.

Because even homemade masks do help somewhat limit it (more than not having one at all anyway)

https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-measure/my-stay-home-lab-shows-how-face-coverings-can-slow-spread-disease

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Interesting. I for one will be looking into the results. Nowadays, I don’t care where it comes from, all I want is that it works. 

It's hard to predict what's gonna happen next with viruses' spread and impacts. But it definitely changed a lot in how business operate and will operate in the future, as now it would be thoughtful to keep some measures even after everything will pass. Just to be ready in case of anything like that arises again. Has anyone seen any decent articles or stats on businesses/retail transformation during and probably after the pandemics?

18 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Then, on the 27, they should also be mandatory for any closed public area, like stores and what not, in my city. (Montreal)

The gov is thinking about implementing it province wide, but I haven't heard much on that. I don't think they will.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/mask-will-be-made-mandatory-in-quebecs-indoor-public-venues-reports

Well never mind July 27. Now it's July 18. PROVINCE WIDE. Mask mandatory public indoor.

It's about time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

42 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's about time.

Seems like even in 1918 it was mandatory and there were fines and possible jail time depending on the state (not sure about here in Canada though) ;

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/03/the-big-picture-spreading-the-message-about-the-1918-pandemic

BTW, check the lady in the middle, apparently, uncovering your nose was a problem even back then! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Interesting. I for one will be looking into the results. Nowadays, I don’t care where it comes from, all I want is that it works. 

I was betting on Germany by investing in BioNTech.

Edit: looks like they’re doing well too.

Two experimental coronavirus vaccines jointly developed by German biotech firm BioNTech and U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer have received 'fast track' designation from the U.S. drug regulator, the companies said on Monday.

The candidates,BNT162b1 and BNT162b2, are the most advanced of at least four vaccines being assessed by the companies in ongoing trials in the United States and Germany.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/pfizer-biontechs-coronavirus-vaccines-get-fdas-fast-track-status.html

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

BTW, check the lady in the middle, apparently, uncovering your nose was a problem even back then! lol

Ah, I see humanity hasn't changed. 🤦‍♂️

Another Statewide move by Newsom. Just announced.

Bars, both indoor and outdoor, will be forced to close down statewide. Restaurants are being told to cease indoor operations. Outdoor dining and takeout are still allowed. All counties also have to close all indoor operations at wineries, tasting rooms, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos, museums and cardrooms.

https://abc7.com/governor-newsom-update-today-gavin-press-conference-california-covid-19-coronavirus/6315327/

Some counties will be closing even more business like gyms, hair salons, indoor malls...

Why can’t people just wear the damn masks. Now if my county continues to be on the watchlist, those other business will have to close too. That means some people I personally know will be out of work again. Good job fellow Americans. 👍

edit: looks like SD is included. Just wow.

https://ktla.com/news/california/newsom-asks-30-counties-to-close-indoor-operations-at-gyms-worship-centers-hair-salons-and-malls-orders-all-counties-to-close-some-indoor-sectors/

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Ah, I see humanity hasn't changed. 🤦‍♂️

On the positive side, it means we haven't changed for worse, but rather remained as bad, which, you know, all things considered... :P 

8 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

I was betting on Germany by investing in BioNTech.

Edit: looks like they’re doing well too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/pfizer-biontechs-coronavirus-vaccines-get-fdas-fast-track-status.html

I really hope none of these companies will cut corners. But to be honest, I’m much more interested on how long the neutralizing antibodies last inside the human body more than whether it works or not. There are some reports like this one from King’s College London neutralizing that antibodies from patients who recovered may only last a few months. I really hope that mRNA or DNA based vaccines can overcome this limitation. 

4 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I guess masks are now mandatory in the State of Alabama. They were mandated in my county last week and now they’re mandated by the State, lol

Masks have been required in Massachusetts for a while now. Seems that it's helped us control the virus' spread.

Still not pleased with how slow Baker was to respond tho, even as cases in Middlesex County were shooting up by the thousands daily.

9 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I guess masks are now mandatory in the State of Alabama. They were mandated in my county last week and now they’re mandated by the State, lol

I keep hearing people claim mandatory face mask is unconstitutional.

8 minutes ago, Deli said:

I have my opinions on it being forced, but personally, it’s not a big deal for me. I have a couple of masks, it’s easy enough to keep one in my car’s glove box for when I go somewhere. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

14 minutes ago, Deli said:

Lol someone yesterday gave me the death stare when I asked her to put on a mask in my store that was in her pocket. And of course she incorrectly wore it like a beard, not covering her mouth or nose. Found out when she showed up at the register and my clerk had to literally ask her 3 times to put it on right. 

Now I just look at what’s happening to Florida and Texas. And neighboring Arizona. Smfh.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-arizona-coronavirus-deaths-refrigerated-trucks-morgues/

29 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Lol someone yesterday gave me the death stare when I asked her to put on a mask in my store that was in her pocket. And of course she incorrectly wore it like a beard, not covering her mouth or nose. Found out when she showed up at the register and my clerk had to literally ask her 3 times to put it on right. 

Now I just look at what’s happening to Florida and Texas. Smfh.

I don't wish anything bad to the people in Florida, Arizona and Texas. It's terrible what's happening there. It's unfortunate a health crisis becomes a political idealogical fight there.

I don't know if it's luck or something else. Most of Europe has the epidemic under-control before people lose their patience. During the lockdown period, the company I work lost two-third of the business. We're doing food distribution to restaurants, hospitals, airports and even the police. After the lockdown was lifted in June, work started to come back. Now we're back to about 80% of our previous normal order volume. Best case scenario if we don't have a second wave in the autumn/winter. We expect the business will reach back to ~90% at the end of the year. It's still bad as a company. But it's likely the company will survive without major government support, and no need to restructure(fire people).

27 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I have my opinions on it being forced, but personally, it’s not a big deal for me. I have a couple of masks, it’s easy enough to keep one in my car’s glove box for when I go somewhere. 

same lol

as this video says

they stop bigger droplets at the bare minimum so I guess that's good lol

Although I've been to Costco and since they require masks I've kinda felt like some people were less concerned about social distancing and like I'm pretty sure even heard fauci say social distancing is like the more crucial thing lo

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I don't want to start a political flame war, but if there's one thing that truly worked against the entry of highly contagious viruses and other pathogens are the following:

• issuing early travel bans for countries with cases of a highly contagious pathogen (it worked very well for us during MERS-Cov in 2015 and SARS-1 in 2002-2003)
  • strict and rigorous contact tracing of suspected individuals especially those coming from countries with high cases

I'm not an IT or sysadmin but protecting citizens against a pandemic is like protecting your organization against targeted attacks. It's better to prevent attacks by sealing off attack surfaces and keeping tabs on new vulnerabilities and hacking trends which blocks many threats in the pre-execution phase (aka early travel bans and contact tracings) rather than scrambling to contain an attack that exceeds beyond your capacity.

Edited by captain_to_fire