Zoom Video - Are YOU the Free Product?

Lurick

Summary:

It would appear while many people are enjoying Zoom for the free meeting functionality there are now surfacing reports that perhaps it might not be all rainbows and sunshine for the "free" portion of the app. Just recently reports have started to surface that, when you dig into the privacy policy, you'll see something that leaves a lot to be desired in terms of user privacy. It would seem that Zoom is in the business of selling information to advertisers for users for their free

products which includes all sorts of identifying information.

This personal info includes, and is not limited to, names, addresses and any other identifying data, job titles and employers, Facebook profiles, and device specifications. Crucially, it also includes "the content contained in cloud recordings, and instant messages, files, whiteboards ... shared while using the service."

Thoughts:

They say when something is free that YOU are the product but this could spell a lot of trouble for Zoom in terms of privacy regulations such as HIPPA since they don't seem to discriminate between calls. If they are indeed collecting and selling off this kind of information there could be some huge implications just based on HIPPA alone, not to mention all the school calls/reports/etc and private business meetings that could have information collected from them as well. What the reports don't mention however is what about the paid users of Zoom and if they are subject to the same collections or not.

URLs:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/27/doc_searls_zoom_privacy/

https://blogs.harvard.edu/doc/2020/03/27/zoom/

https://www.consumerreports.org/video-conferencing-services/zoom-teleconferencing-privacy-concerns/

https://zoom.us/privacy

Edit:

As of March 27th the Facebook SDK has been removed but the question remains is there other data collection going on on the background to sell data to advertisers and how that data is being handled as well.

"The data collected by the Facebook SDK did not include any personal user information, but rather included data about users’ devices such as the mobile OS type and version, the device time zone, device OS, device model and carrier, screen size, processor cores, and disk space," Zoom's statement added, mirroring Motherboard's findings. Will Strafach, an iOS researcher and founder of privacy-focused iOS app Guardian also confirmed Motherboard's findings that the Zoom app sent data to Facebook at the time.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3b745/zoom-removes-code-that-sends-data-to-facebook

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What's most absurd is how everyone is raging over Zoom and Zoom only. Especially since ALL apps on all app stores are riddled with this garbage from Google, Facebook and many others. Where is outrage over those? Just because someone pointed out Facebook SDK in Zoom and everyone lost their shit, but the other 99% of apps have all the same things integrated into apps and everyone's just fine with it because they are not aware of it. But it's all the same there, in ALL apps. It's hard to find any that is just an app without some 3rd party tracking garbage integrated. VERY HARD.

When using it for my college classes I always join without making an account. I'm glad that my college does pay for the higher tier where everything "should" be encrypted.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

What's most absurd is how everyone is raging over Zoom and Zoom only. Especially since ALL apps on all app stores are riddled with this garbage from Google, Facebook and many others. Where is outrage over those? Just because someone pointed out Facebook SDK in Zoom and everyone lost their shit, but the other 99% of apps have all the same things integrated into apps and everyone's just fine with it because they are not aware of it. But it's all the same there, in ALL apps. It's hard to find any that is just an app without some 3rd party tracking garbage integrated. VERY HARD.

There is something to be said for tracking in general but if they are capturing from private conversations between a patient and doctor or private company information to push ads that's a different level especially if this information is personally identifiable and isn't stored safely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Zoom has in fact now updated their iOS app to remove the Facebook SDK.

“Zoom takes its users’ privacy extremely seriously. We originally implemented the ‘Login with Facebook’ feature using the Facebook SDK in order to provide our users with another convenient way to access our platform. However, we were recently made aware that the Facebook SDK was collecting unnecessary device data," Zoom told Motherboard in a statement on Friday.

"The data collected by the Facebook SDK did not include any personal user information, but rather included data about users’ devices such as the mobile OS type and version, the device time zone, device OS, device model and carrier, screen size, processor cores, and disk space," Zoom's statement added, mirroring Motherboard's findings. Will Strafach, an iOS researcher and founder of privacy-focused iOS app Guardian also confirmed Motherboard's findings that the Zoom app sent data to Facebook at the time.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3b745/zoom-removes-code-that-sends-data-to-facebook

Hope they enjoyed my presentation about Good Manufacturing Practice, requirements for pharmaceuticals. Half the audience fell asleep but I’m glad they liked it.

Someone a "Zoom has a privacy issue" still ended up back at "Facebook is incredibly evil". Unfortunately, not surprised.

I don't think there is a product on the market that doesn't do this.  You have to pay for it some how as nothing is free.   Hell, even skype log/probe every URL you paste into it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

What's most absurd is how everyone is raging over Zoom and Zoom only. Especially since ALL apps on all app stores are riddled with this garbage from Google, Facebook and many others.

It's because Zoom is widely used by many businesses and schools especially right now since a lot of people are working from home because of COVID-19.  People and companies use it for meetings. 

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

1 hour ago, distantly_social said:

They added the ability to change your background though #baitnswitch

Explains what I saw the other day ....

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

If you don't pay for a product thats because you are most probably the product...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

You know how the saying goes.

I won't repeat it because several other members have said it already.

Stopped using facebook a long time ago to be honest and I have never used Zoom at all, not even made an account thankfully enough.

Zoom is definitely not the one. There are soo many data stealing, exposing apps.

I’d never heard of Zoom before the “Human Malware” became a thing. Looking up recent articles though, I wouldn’t use Zoom on any of my personal devices even if my employer told me to. 

Is there no open source video messaging software that a corporation an set up their own servers for? Using an x265 encoder (though this kills off weaker/older client devices), bandwidth shouldn’t be a big deal for corporate internet connections. Kind of like Mumble (unsure if TeamSpeak is FOSS)?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Too bad the majority of the people out there won’t care and have no idea why it’s a big deal. They’ll just say I got nothing to hide or have nothing important. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with you, people should pay for something they are gonna use this much for this or go with something more reputable. If you want to know why I think this I have a collection of reasons at http://www.quitzoom.com with sources too!

On 4/8/2020 at 9:46 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

I’d never heard of Zoom before the “Human Malware” became a thing. Looking up recent articles though, I wouldn’t use Zoom on any of my personal devices even if my employer told me to. 

I'd vaguely heard of it, but never paid attention to it before this ridiculous shutdown.  I do use it on my desktop, because our church only uses that or FB, and I absolutely WON'T touch FB.  That said, I don't have any sort of account with them, and I won't install it onto anything that has a camera (so phone is out of the question).

What intrigues me more is how this no name thing became a thing. I get it that it apparently had some features other big didn't, but for the sake of safety and integrity, you'd expect schools would still pick Skype or Discord over Zoom. It's like wanting a VPN and you'd walk past ProtonVPN, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, PIA VPN, CyberGhost VPN and picked some VPN made by some no name company that has no ratings, no credentials or reputation and said yes, I made a logical choice there. That's exactly what happened with Zoom. I get it that you can't just be stuck and never use anything else but established stuff, but come on, some research and checks should be done when institutions like schools demand students to use it and potentially put millions of users into digital harm's way.

49 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

What intrigues me more is how this no name thing became a thing. I get it that it apparently had some features other big didn't, but for the sake of safety and integrity, you'd expect schools would still pick Skype or Discord over Zoom. It's like wanting a VPN and you'd walk past ProtonVPN, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, PIA VPN, CyberGhost VPN and picked some VPN made by some no name company that has no ratings, no credentials or reputation and said yes, I made a logical choice there. That's exactly what happened with Zoom. I get it that you can't just be stuck and never use anything else but established stuff, but come on, some research and checks should be done when institutions like schools demand students to use it and potentially put millions of users into digital harm's way.

Zoom has actually been around for a bit but I think what really propelled them into the mainstream was they were the first big name to offer free video conferencing during the pandemic, ahead of Cisco, Microsoft, and others in the same space. Skype can be hit or miss and Discord doesn't offer video chat as far as I know so Zoom or Cisco/Microsoft Teams seems to be the next logical choice and, as I mentioned, with the free offer from Zoom that really put them out there as the 'go to'.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Discord doesn't offer video chat as far as I know

Discord does, and they upped the limit for how many people can video chat at once so people can stay in touch during the pandemic