How to disable microphone access for each *desktop* app individually

It is possible to disable microphone access for each app for Windows store applications.

I am wondering if it is possible to disable microphone access for each desktop application individually.

It is very rarely that I need a mic for the yellow-marked apps, for instance.

It might be that I would need that but I would rather control it myself than allow access all the time.

At some point, (well a year ago) even Thunderbird was accessing the mic, which is weird.

Windows settings for mic only allows all or none, but is there a more granular way of doing it with some software?

A mic firewall, sort of.

image.png.6077cca888af887578a8126e7e34de44.png

i think first we need to figure out why there's so much stuff showing up... for me there's literally nothing (and i do have things like skype, audacity etc installed)  🤔

Annotation2024-04-28183548.thumb.png.78a5e42a7accc45a94e492ccdda73d26.png

also, have you tried unplugging your microphone and only plug it in when you actually need it?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/28/2024 at 6:39 PM, Mark Kaine said:

for me there's literally nothing (and i do have things like skype, audacity etc installed)  🤔

well, this is kind of strange. Do you have a dedicated mic or headset or is it on the webcam? I think on the Logitech webcam I disabled the microphone in the settings, and now it is not even seen by the device manager.

Try disabling the microphone for desktop apps from settings, and using Skype after that to see if it lets it through.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:39 PM, Mark Kaine said:

also, have you tried unplugging your microphone and only plug it in when you actually need it?

I have a USB mic and a WebCam that has the mic disabled.

I have MuteMe USB button (that actually detects when the mic is in use - this is how I discovered that Snagit is trying to use the microphone on startup, even though I am not recording anything) that enables and disables mic access globally if needed. so this is not a problem. I just want to be strict about what can and cannot access the microphone.

So, I would like to disable mic access for applications that have audio features, but which I do not use, like audio chat in TeamViewer.

BTW, I found a setting for "Voicd Activation"  that I never asked for and never opted in for that, but still it was on.

image.thumb.png.3a4da0b8f1ec06e0cbd5f5571085f372.png