Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Join me in celebrating my birthday with a week of folding with more LTT prizes! 

This has been copied from the original Community board, it will be updated shortly

This will be a place for events within the Folding (and sometimes Boinc) community to be posted.

It is also a good place to introduce yourself to the rest of the team and ask questions if you have them.

If you have an event you would like to organize post it here and PM me about it.

Current or upcoming events:

In case you are actually living under a rock there is currently a global pandemic of COVID-19 which team LTT and folding@home is working to solve!!!

(If you have an event you are trying to organize or would like to participate in please post in this thread and PM me)

Nothing right now to announce. But a lot of changes have happened as we have a new Folding team leader: Congratulations to @GOTSpectrum

Also check the badge thread as there is now also a diamond level badge for anyone with more than 1,000,000,000 points.

If you need to check on final places or prize winners for Folding Month 2019 please check the blog post below as it will have all the information for you.

Folding@home team LTT id#: 223518

Boinc teams are all called LinusTechTips_Team

Results from past events:

Folding month 2019!!!

Sprint for 10th!

BOINC Pentathlon 2019

LTT Official Folding Month 2018!

First LTT folding week results (3/26-4/1/2018):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NerB4jOfgEG_l9mcxxMNTe6hboswk6V-hLiSLMDp7gc/edit?usp=sharing

My folding story and also my reasoning for the first event:

It was a long time ago when discovered this thing called distributed computing and a piece of software that will use your computer power to help fight against many diseases including cancer . When I started folding I also joined the Linus Tech Tips team (it was actually @Slick's old Ultimate Distributed Computing build that got me into it.) and considering that the mining craze had died down a bit and its still cold for those of us in the northern hemisphere. I was wondering if we could get the whole community together to donate as much of  their compute power as they can to Folding At Home (yes it is true that every little bit helps) for some amount of time (title says a week but can easily be extended if we can do it). Obviously the encouragement is to fold to the Linus Tech Tips Team #223518 but since folding is a good cause no matter what there would be no complaints about folding for another team. But one of the pieces of this that really encouraged me was looking at the team ranking for LTT and realizing that we have dropped to 14th considering that when we started we were at least 11th.

Long story short fold (preferably for LTT), get your friends folding get their friends folding and even if you bring in complete noobs we have a whole community here to help them. I will link the guides here as well as the video that got me into it.

For those that still need some encouragement here's the video that started it all for me:

New F@H (Folding@Home) FAQ & Guide for all info on how to install and use F@H:

If you are too lazy for all of that here is a link to the site to download it https://foldingathome.org/#downloads

If any of you have any questions or need help getting your system set up (there are some things that can be tricky at first and I know sometimes reading the guides can be tedious) please feel free to post here where people with more experience than I can help you or pm me if need be.

TLDR: A team that folds together... stays together?... you know what I'm sticking with that one.

Huge thank you to everyone involved from all of you and the moderators getting this pinned to people just helping each other out on setups and spreading the word to anyone here who is just folding. I never though that this was going to pick up any traction at all and now its an actual bonafide event. So thank you all and let the folding begin!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, NMS said:

And this is what GPUs shoul be used for! So I will most certainly look into this.

Thanks OP!

No problem! Spread the word lets see how big we can make it! 

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 hour ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

ok so when is "folding week", give me some advanced notice, and as long as its not a pain in the ass to setup and run stable i will put every rig i have (32GPU's) on folding for 7 days.

There is no set date yet since it is literally just 4 people right now. And (assuming your talking about mining rigs) the only special things you will need to do is turn folding off for the cpu and there might be some other settings that could help optimize, that I'm not familiar with because of the pcie 1x connection. This is from the Facts and Fiction post and if you need more info then maybe someone would be able to help. But from my experience everything to do in folding is much easier to deal with than any of the mining I have tried.

On 6/23/2015 at 10:14 AM, Whaler_99 said:

PCIe Slots

You can use PCIe x1 size through x16 sized slots for folding with GPUs. There are various types of expanders that allow your x16 card to plug into a x1, for instance, slot. Also, v1 through v3 of the PCI Express specifications is also supported. Now, here is where is gets complicated. Different Cores and Projects need differing amounts of bandwidth. 

In my testing, and some others, about two years ago, we found no PPD decrease when using x1 slots versus x16 slots (PCIe v2). Back then though Core17 was just coming out and there was no Core18. This has changed somewhat. If you get Core15 and some Core17 assignments, this still won't make a difference. But, on Core18 it can. Some have seen up to a 20% drop on PDD when going from x16 to x4 slots. At this point though, v2 or v3 slots don't seem to make much of an impact. So, where does this leave you?

If planning to make a multi GPU folding system, try and get/use as many x16 slots as possible. You can use x4 and x1 with the use of expanders, but depending on the work you get assigned, you might notice some PPD decline now on those cards.

@Whaler_99 Would you be able to come up with a quick guide for optimizing for mining rigs with 1x connections or know the best person to ask?

Folding Community Board:

Added a soft date to original post for now. Subject to change if needed.

Folding Community Board:

Im intereested, not folded for a while. Ive been thinking about throwing my AMD cards at boinc thoug has F@H doesnt really like them for some reason. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 7.3.2018 at 7:25 PM, FlatBrokeRacing said:

ok so when is "folding week", give me some advanced notice, and as long as its not a pain in the ass to setup and run stable i will put every rig i have (32GPU's) on folding for 7 days.

22 hours ago, palespartan said:

There is no set date yet since it is literally just 4 people right now. And (assuming your talking about mining rigs) the only special things you will need to do is turn folding off for the cpu and there might be some other settings that could help optimize, that I'm not familiar with because of the pcie 1x connection. This is from the Facts and Fiction post and if you need more info then maybe someone would be able to help. But from my experience everything to do in folding is much easier to deal with than any of the mining I have tried.

@Whaler_99 Would you be able to come up with a quick guide for optimizing for mining rigs with 1x connections or know the best person to ask?

Folding performance dramatically decreases on 1x Sadly :/

So you are probably looking at like half the performance or even less than usual. Still, with 32 gpus you'll have some great results! 

Also AFAIK there's not much you can do to optimize 1x performance 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Im intereested, not folded for a while. Ive been thinking about throwing my AMD cards at boinc thoug has F@H doesnt really like them for some reason. 

Ive personally never folded on amd so I wouldn't know about that. Just out of curiosity though what cards and what PPD do you get when you try to fold with them?

Folding Community Board:

2 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Folding performance dramatically decreases on 1x Sadly :/

So you are probably looking at like half the performance or even less than usual. Still, with 32 gpus you'll have some great results! 

Also AFAIK there's not much you can do to optimize 1x performance 

I knew that it did for most work units but thought there were certain ones that utilized the graphics memory rather than having to talk back to the cpu through the pci bus? Ive never tried to optimize for it personally before so I cant be sure but yes definitely 32 gpus no matter what will give great results. @FlatBrokeRacing Ill do some more digging and see if I can find some results for you. Either way its not like it will crash your system or anything and with that many gpus your results will still be insane but Ill still see what I can find. 

Also Is everyone here cool with the date so far like I said it can change as needed. Also spread the word to whoever you can!

Thanks,

Pale

Folding Community Board:

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

Ive personally never folded on amd so I wouldn't know about that. Just out of curiosity though what cards and what PPD do you get when you try to fold with them?

I cant remember what PPD I got, but I was folding on a VEGA 64. was well below my 980ti.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

20 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I cant remember what PPD I got, but I was folding on a VEGA 64. was well below my 980ti.

Yeah I would say that is definitely less than optimized. lol. Well see if anyone has any advice on that.

Folding Community Board:

On 3/7/2018 at 1:41 PM, palespartan said:

Whaler is unfortunately gone :( 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 3/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, straight_stewie said:

Whaler is unfortunately gone :( 

Yeah I realized how old those guides were and that a lot of the old people have been out of it for a long time.

Folding Community Board:

I just started to Fold and submitted my first 21 WU request, but have not received any response.

I am finding it fascinating, and I hope that we can get the team back ojn track.

5 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

I am finding it fascinating, and I hope that we can get the team back ojn track.

I'm slowly making my way up the group. I'm only capable of generating somewhere around 200,000 PPD, but I'm running 24/7. I've noticed that alot of people on team statistics page haven't been active for a very long time.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

38 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm slowly making my way up the group. I'm only capable of generating somewhere around 200,000 PPD, but I'm running 24/7. I've noticed that alot of people on team statistics page haven't been active for a very long time.

Hopefully if this can get big enough that will change. Also if you have more than 10 wu done you can request a passkey which will give you a lot of bonus points if you haven't already.

Folding Community Board:

6 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

I just started to Fold and submitted my first 21 WU request, but have not received any response.

That is awesome! keep up the good work. After your first 10 wu's are done look into getting a passkey to get bonus points.

Folding Community Board:

@palespartan I have decided I'm just going to throw my three gtx cards at F@H during this week and leave the Vega out. A a GTX 980 ti, a GTX 980 and GTX 970 should do nicely.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

That is awesome! keep up the good work. After your first 10 wu's are done look into getting a passkey to get bonus points.

I was able to get a passkey right when I started no WU requirement. Just an FYI.

12 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

*Readies 1080Ti, 780Ti,  Three 750Tis, and the 760Ti succ edition*

Oh and the 970.

Should I unleash my triple GTX 480 rig?

Nice! And we wont say no to more cards. But as others have discovered F@H doesn't play as nice with amd.

Folding Community Board:

12 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@palespartan I have decided I'm just going to throw my three gtx cards at F@H during this week and leave the Vega out. A a GTX 980 ti, a GTX 980 and GTX 970 should do nicely.

Those will definitely do nicely. And if we are all flexing our gpu power I will be folding on what now seems like a measly 1080ti, 2x970 and (if i can find it) a 660.

Folding Community Board:

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

Those will definitely do nicely. And if we are all flexing our gpu power I will be folding on what now seems like a measly 1080ti, 2x970 and (if i can find it) a 660.

well I do have a 960 laying about somewhere too.... In for a penny... in for a pound...  :ph34r:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@iamdarkyoshi Is there anyway we could create a badge for those that take part in the event. Like you have to fold a certain number of WUs in the 7 days t get the badge? 

EDIT, I dont mind designing the badge to make it easier on you guys if that helps. 

@palespartan Do you know if a 1030 is worth getting to fold with. I have like £100 frm mining that I can blow and a single slot wide x16 free on my mobo. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240