Adding more cores doesnt improve performance-intel exec

parthm

source:

https://www.techquila.co.in/cores-doesnt-improve-performance-intel-executive-amd/

According to the article posted on Techquila, Ryan Shrout (Intels chief performance strategist) says on medium that adding cores doesnt improve performance before amds new launches. the article basically bashes his statements.he didn't even test an AMD CPU just tested gaming at different core counts.

according to ryan 8 cores is the seet spot and any more cores wont help in gaming.

the testing methodology is itself flawed.

is this really what independent journalism should be like? the core count opinion sounds dated.

he also said

“Adding core count just because you can,” he concludes, “without a corresponding increase in sustained frequency and architectural design decisions necessary to feed these cores (like low latency memory systems), doesn’t result in better performance. The software engines that power games across the PC ecosystem scale best with frequency and IPC, and Intel plans to lead in this space for years to come.”

while this is true intel itslef is increasing their own core counts so these statements seem idiotic.why would they make such stupid statements?

statements like these reduce intels rep.

there are articles on the same from 1 or 2 more sources.

I think the quote “For gaming, 8-cores is the optimal spot for performance scaling in modern PC gaming,” is the most telling and actually counters his own claims: it was still just last year that Intel was saying that 4 cores is enough for games and POOF -- a year later the sweet spot is double that? Yeah, it just goes to show that increases in core-count will be taken advantage of and rather quickly, too.

Sure, 8 cores could certainly be the sweet spot now, but take, say, 4-5 years from now? It could well be that there are games that can use all 16 cores. Pushing for more cores lets devs go wild, it adds headroom for them to play with.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

lmao and this guy used to run pcper.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I think the quote “For gaming, 8-cores is the optimal spot for performance scaling in modern PC gaming,” is the most telling and actually counters his own claims: it was still just last year that Intel was saying that 4 cores is enough for games and POOF -- a year later the sweet spot is double that? Yeah, it just goes to show that increases in core-count will be taken advantage of and rather quickly, too.

Sure, 8 cores could certainly be the sweet spot now, but take, say, 4-5 years from now? It could well be that there are games that can use all 16 cores. Pushing for more cores lets devs go wild, it adds headroom for them to play with.

no wonder intels falling down if people there actually think like this.i obviously dont think its everyone but still what if you're streaming lol saying shit like this creates a bad rep for the company.

I guess they weren't in the meeting for when Modern Warfare announced that it was using DirectX12 in order to use more cores for better stability and performance. 

Oh yeah, core count TOTALLY doesnt matter at alllll. Surely nottttt.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

1 hour ago, parthm said:

no wonder intels falling down if people there actually think like this.i obviously dont think its everyone but still what if you're streaming lol saying shit like this creates a bad rep for the company.

that is the guy from pcper, so its just marketing bs to save face while they try to get their act together, same with the 3B dollars of "marketing assistence" or whatever they call it 

There is a degree of truth in that adding more cores doesn't necessarily translate to a faster chip (look at how Apple dominates mobile performance), but this is also clearly marketing -- puff up the areas you're strong and downplay your weaknesses.  He'd be singing a different tune if Intel really did have an unambiguous lead.

1 hour ago, parthm said:

according to ryan 8 cores is the seet spot and any more cores wont help in gaming.

Why the fuck Intel gonna release a 10 core next generation then? If AMD was being excessive with 12 cores for gamers, then wth?

Also AMD's 12 and 16 core offerings, while addressed as "CPUs for gaming" are intended for much more than just playing battlefield.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Who are they trying to fool? What they really meant to say:

'We have been fucked in every position by AMD and now we tryna gain back our crown and throne so we tryna talk shit as much as possible because we've lost our mind'

It was inevitable 4cores will come to an end and Intel can not stick on 4cores.

Really, thanks a lot for competition, AMD! Whenever I'll have upgrade my cpu, it will be either the 3600X or 3800.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

i7 9700k 8Cores 8Threads can be seen with 50-80% usages in BF5 SP with a RTX GPU.

Select titles are 8thread aware and 8cores+HT is likely the best scenario but he can't say the "Sweetspot" is a $500 processor.

^Just Gaming, now Include streaming...or light multitasking users...which will add their own needs and requests to the Ram pool and have more swapping than just Gaming.

Ryan,.. I'll buy more cores and so will others,.. because some people do need more than JUST the game running..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Damn, I hope Ryan Shrout is making lots of money for being reduced to this....then again he dropped pcper in a heartbeat so he probably is.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

he's not 100% wrong in that more IPC is really nice to have.

But cramming more cores in pretty much always gives you better multi-threading performance. Just doesn't affect single.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Intel are just salty because they're still stuck on 14nm.

They'll need some of that salt down the line when they eat humble pie.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

look at how Apple dominates mobile performance

Anything running the A11 Bionic or newer (so iPhone 8 and up) has more active cores than a stock Snapdragon phone...

6 vs 4.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I don't even care at this point, i've had intel my whole life, still rocking 4790k but i've started to recommend AMD to people since 2 years now, my next build will probably be AMD. intel has taken its user base for granted. i really hope AMD beats all of Intel's benchmarks in a year or two's new gen processors. then we'd have a competition where we get both a faster processor and a cheaper one.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Sure, 8 cores could certainly be the sweet spot now, but take, say, 4-5 years from now?

The "sweet spot" is 6 or even 4 with ht, they're just saying 8 because they want to sell you their top tier chips but in every comparison the 8700k performs almost identically when you adjust for clock speed. If all you want is to play games then buying a top tier cpu is a waste of money, plain and simple. If and when that becomes a limiting factor upgrades will be cheap and easy on either platform.

24 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Intel are just salty because they're still stuck on 14nm.

And more importantly they're stuck with monolithic chips.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Why the fuck Intel gonna release a 10 core next generation then?

Because it turns out only a small niche of people buys a 500$ cpu just to play games on it. All of this is completely irrelevant really, it's just a weak excuse for being unable to match AMD on workstation loads.

2 hours ago, Brehohn said:

I guess they weren't in the meeting for when Modern Warfare announced that it was using DirectX12 in order to use more cores for better stability and performance. 

Oh yeah, core count TOTALLY doesnt matter at alllll. Surely nottttt.

To be fair I don't believe a word Activision says about CoD optimizations - they've never been technically impressive despite being regularly marketed as such. The two year development cycle with restrictions on what changes they make to the engine (to avoid problems with the other development teams) prevents them from ever being that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

they've never been technically impressive despite being regularly marketed as such

FISH AI

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

35 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Anything running the A11 Bionic or newer (so iPhone 8 and up) has more active cores than a stock Snapdragon phone...

6 vs 4.

Maybe so, but Qualcomm touts eight cores, four of them 'full power' (versus Apple's two), so in the more-cores-are-always-better world the Snapdragon series is supposed to be superior.  The truth, of course, is that there's a balance to be struck between the number of cores and the performance from those cores you do have.

Just now, Commodus said:

Maybe so, but Qualcomm touts eight cores, four of them 'full power' (versus Apple's two), so in the more-cores-are-always-better world the Snapdragon series is supposed to be superior. 

They tout those 8 cores in a big.LITTLE arrangement, and Qualcomm isn't really advertising to anyone other than OEMs, so who they tout to is irrelevant.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Ryan isn't an exec. The job title has chief in it, but he's not C-level management.

The testing was somewhat limited, in that it was at fixed clock, HT off. It would have been interesting to see HT on (where supported) as well as normal turbo enabled. More cores generally help with overall throughput, but if it hinders your critical path, you can still get lower performance. That might have been a more interesting route to tackle.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If only you all could accept i3's with 2cores 4threads play minecraft just fine.  Csgo is fine. People still play original Doom, bf1942, duke nukem 3d, and whatever.... The processors are plenty fast... more cores are great for servers. Streaming games for money will always be lame. I7 4790k still goes for more than 1st gen ryzen used. All the amd fanboys can't keep amd used value up. Ray tracing is the future and we've been tricked since about as far back as half life 2. Its a scam and if yall would quit throwing away good stuff we would have far better junk to use right now.

2 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

All the amd fanboys can't keep amd used value up

Which is good for the used market. People that can't afford decent new stuff have accessibility to great stuff that's only a generation or two old.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

yep who would ever use their cpus for things other than gaming amirite 

hey intel! don't be an idiot and think your customers are idiots!

seriously, people need more than 8 cores for things, why do you even have things like extreme edition processors then

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh