[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

40 minutes ago, Arch9 said:

Wow am i seeing this right? corsair CX is now tier B+ and CXM on tier B?

Even though Corsair uses the same branding to imply that the CXM is the same as the CX but modular, there's actually a 2 year gap in their release dates. The CX is newer and more well designed.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, FALC0N said:

There are Several PSU's in "Tier c" that do not "meet c6/c7 crossloads".  Whatever that's supposed to mean.  But they are still in "Tier C".  Either you aren't applying your standards consistently, or you don't understand the performance characteristics of the PSU's on the list.  

I believe he meant to say "c6/c7 sleep states".

Care to point out which units those are, so they can look into it? That would be helpful. 

4 hours ago, FALC0N said:

But It shouldn't come to that at all since you can change the rules.  If a rule is resulting in erroneous rankings, the solution is to fix the problem. You don't dodge responsibility by blaming "rules".  On the plus side of things, you have a bright future as a bureaucrat.  

The criteria for each tier is clearly listed out in the spoiler at the top of the first page. In the interest of remaining as objective as possible, if a unit fails or is missing out on even just one aspect of a particular tier, then it stands to reason to drop that unit down to a lower tier, and so-on. The rules are there and to the best of the knowledge of those who have been working on this list (which is not just one person, btw), they have sorted all units accordingly.

I like to think of this type of thread as a "community effort" to help the community as a whole. That being said, instead of just claiming "there are units in the wrong categories" and "therefore you need to fix it" without including any helpful information, why not share and help improve the list?

So then, which specific units don't meet the criteria of their category? Please enlighten us and contribute. It would be appreciated.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

49 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you are

20 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Even though Corsair uses the same branding to imply that the CXM is the same as the CX but modular, there's actually a 2 year gap in their release dates. The CX is newer and more well designed.

Nicee actually i just bought CX550 for my build after deciding which is better in terms of value compared to CXM550,

this makes me feel good haha.

@LukeSavenije and @jonnyGURU and other people contributed to build this list

Thank you very much for your recommended power supply list and hard work to build this list. This list save me and other people a lot of time from buying shit power supply that can potentially destroy the whole computer. In addition, this list save a lot of people time from spending more than 2 hours from researching the power supply they are about to buy and turn out it is a no no power supply.

5 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

@LukeSavenije and @jonnyGURU and other people contributed to build this list

I have nothing to do with this list.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

I have nothing to do with this list.

I still use your recommended power supply list on your site.

So psu listed for high end gaming rig with single gpu setup so does this mean it is not recommended for multi gpu setups?

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

So psu listed for high end gaming rig with single gpu setup so does this mean it is not recommended for multi gpu setups?

not per say, you can run those just fine

it's mostly to give people an idea for the use we'd recommend for it

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

thanks

4 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

I believe he meant to say "c6/c7 sleep states".

Same thing as i'm aware. PSU that doesn't meet crossloads that C6\C7 enabled system puts on it when idle, likely will not claim C6\C7 sleep states support either.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Same thing as i'm aware. PSU that doesn't meet crossloads that C6\C7 system puts on it when idle, likely will not have C6\C7 sleep states support either.

i want to change this to the atx spec that introduced this (recall being 2.32 or 2.4) but i only have 2.52 on hand, so i can't really yet

if anyone has it though, happy to receive

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

Isn't that the sole reason to have tier A+ then ? To differentiate between otherwise same-quality units capable of running multi-GPU (aka having well configured multi-rail) and those that will be mediocre at most (high ripple) or not capable at all but still good for single-GPU so there's no reason to put them lower. If there's some other reasons you can't put some units that are good for multi-GPU in a tier A+ then maybe rename tier A+ to A++ and put those one tier up to new tier A+ ? That's going to be complicated but people looking for PSUs good for multi-GPU will appreciate it for sure.

5 hours ago, Alex Kryo_O said:

Lmao the focus series went from tier a straight to not recommended. Good thing I bought the new gx 650w,

me too, 550w model hehe

16 minutes ago, Juular said:

well... it's more or less been a simplicity choice

multirail functions as a breaker in your house does, so it matters more at higher current, with my personal limit being 650w for a single rail, as it's after that likely to burn through it's cables with a voltage drop

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Isn't that the sole reason to have tier A+ then ? To differentiate between otherwise same-quality units capable of running multi-GPU (aka having well configured multi-rail) and those that will be mediocre at most (high ripple) or not capable at all but still good for single-GPU so there's no reason to put them lower. If there's some other reasons you can't put some units that are good for multi-GPU in a tier A+ then maybe rename tier A+ to A++ and put those one tier up to new tier A+ ? That's going to be complicated but people looking for PSUs good for multi-GPU will appreciate it for sure.

48 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well... it's more or less been a simplicity choice

multirail functions as a breaker in your house does, so it matters more at higher current, with my personal limit being 650w for a single rail, as it's after that likely to burn through it's cables with a voltage drop

This, to me, seems like a misunderstanding of semantics. For each tier, it is stated which situations those units are "ideal" for. Not which units you MUST use for those situations. Can you use an A or B tier unit for a multi-GPU system and still have it be reliable? For the most part, yes - but those are not "the best" choice, not the "ideal" choice for such a use case.

Speaking to everyone with concerns about the list:

I honestly don't see the confusion in this list that others are getting so caught up on. It's not like the tiers are to be taken absolutely literally. It's categorizing which are most ideal for those uses and which are of higher-quality. 

This list is meant as a guide or reference for someone who doesn't know what to buy or which is ideal for their situation. In that regard, I think this list serves it's purpose just fine. clearly enough. Could it use some refinement? Of course. All in due time.

Just seems like there's a lot of "splitting hairs" here, rather than looking at the big-picture. Hopefully that makes sense...

Edited by MEC-777
Edited for clarification.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

On 10/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

-snip-

I have an i7-4770 and a GTX 970 (4GB), what level do you recommend?

Edited by MEC-777
snipped quote

2 minutes ago, Dajim said:

well... one thing... can you snip that post please?

second, tier b will technically do, but higher is always better

4 hours ago, Dajim said:

for a gaming PC, tier B is the bare minimum.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

for a gaming PC, tier B is the bare minimum.

Not only that but these and up are most cheap in most regions, no reason to go lower. EVGA GD, GQ, B2, Corsair TXm, CX(m), be quiet! Pure Power 10\11, CM MWE Gold, Rosewill Capstone G, Enermax Revolution XT, Thermaltake Toughpower, it's hard to find anything cheaper than these, and if there's it's straight up trash.

41 minutes ago, Juular said:

Not only that but these and up are most cheap in most regions, no reason to go lower. EVGA GD, GQ, B2, Corsair TXm, CX(m), be quiet! Pure Power 10\11, CM MWE Gold, Rosewill Capstone G, Enermax Revolution XT, Thermaltake Toughpower, it's hard to find anything cheaper than these, and if there's it's straight up trash.

I'm from Colombia , the cheapest is Corsair Cx 650 

Tier D - Not recommended

Seasonic Focus (Plus) FX 2017

Oof.

Probably the first time I saw a high end PSU went straight to D Tier :(

I would be one of the best of Tier A if not for that damn OCP bug.

Personal PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3500X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Palit StormX 6GB) | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB SSD (OS Drive) / TeamGroup L3 EVO 120GB SSD / Western Digital Blue (2019) 1TB HDD 7200RPM | Corsair CX550M (2015) 550W 80+ Bronze | AOC 24G2E5 24" / Philips 193V5 18.5" | SilverTec PowerPlus 650VA UPS w/LED 

Secondary (sibling's build):

Intel Core i5-6400 | AMD Radeon RX 570 (Gigabyte Gaming OC 4GB)HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2666 (1x16GB) | ASUS H110M-K | Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 250GB SSD (OS Drive) / Seagate Barracuda (2017) 1TB HDD 5900 RPM | Silverstone Strider Essential Bronze 500W 80+ White | AOC 24B1XHS 24" / ASUS VL249HE 24" | Akari AVR-SVC 500 Servo-Type AVR

Just now, otennicegg3 said:

Oof.

Probably the first time I saw a high end PSU went straight to D Tier :(

I would be one of the best of Tier A if not for that damn OCP bug.

it's more of the second revision with the ripple issues that we made this choice

a similar thing has been done to the EVGA G3 with it's protection issues

Hi, 

Why BeQuiet Straight Power 11 better psu than seasonic prime gold/titanium? 

26 minutes ago, Makarevich said:

Hi, 

Why BeQuiet Straight Power 11 better psu than seasonic prime gold/titanium? 

because the prime doesn't meet requirements regarding multirail ocp, otherwise it would've been the same tier as the very least