MacOS Catalina: only 64-bit. OS that might ship with 32-bit. software that might brick your Mac

Thaldor
2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple gives you the power to make that choice for yourself. 

2046831880_ScreenShot2018-09-25at8_26_29AM.png.255a3d3b93025c219c5847b685591a4c.png

Great, you can make the choice to get yourself infected/breached, you do that. I'm 100% fine with them not making it a little GUI toggle to basically open the device to attack.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Months before updating my MacBook Pro to Catalina, I went through my programs and removed everything that was 32Bit. There were only a few programs, and an odd game (like Papers Please). 

Now I realize that being this proactive is beyond most users, but the upside of that is most users stick to the Mac App Store and trusted developers who have been 64Bit for a long time. 

It’s only these edge cases where users are using deprecated software that macOS can’t handle during the heavy modifications to the file system that come with Catalina. 

I've had Catalina with some old software and never had any problems with current software. I really don't get what error the article is talking about. Its not that I dont appreciate something like this could happen, but I don't understand the OP. 

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Great, you can make the choice to get yourself infected/breached, you do that.

Nice false dichotomy. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Nice false dichotomy. 

Enjoy your rootkits

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Enjoy your rootkits

I'm sure I'm ultra vulnerable. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Same old story with current apple corporate direction, disable the old stuff and force customers to buy new everything.  Ratchet industries IRL.

I don't see the point of rushing to ditch 32bit support, the decision breaks compatibility especially for education or pros that need to use older software, IMO at least give users the choice to have support for 32bit apps, then again it's Apple and they'd rather force you to buy new everything.

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

because keeping years old bugs is a good idea..

and you can block the updates if you really want to it's just not exposed

Kinda ironic the OS easily gives you the option to be without critical updates. Unpopular opinion,but Windows hiding the option to completely block updates is a good thing, most users would just block it.

51 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Nice false dichotomy. 

That's not a false dichotomy,  Not updating any software natural leads to more vulnerable systems.

This is not even a thing up for debate,  especially when talking about an OS.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They Should've called it Emma...

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

In macOS you can refuse all updates, forever. 

Not all, some security updates are pushed on you without asking nor even notifying.

Not that I don't think it's good, but it's not "all". 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Months before updating my MacBook Pro to Catalina, I went through my programs and removed everything that was 32Bit. There were only a few programs, and an odd game (like Papers Please). 

Now I realize that being this proactive is beyond most users, but the upside of that is most users stick to the Mac App Store and trusted developers who have been 64Bit for a long time. 

It’s only these edge cases where users are using deprecated software that macOS can’t handle during the heavy modifications to the file system that come with Catalina. 

1 hour ago, floofer said:

I've had Catalina with some old software and never had any problems with current software. I really don't get what error the article is talking about. Its not that I dont appreciate something like this could happen, but I don't understand the OP. 

The problem here is that while upgrading to the Catalina the macOS might not upgrade the entitlement subsystem completely to the new 64-bit version and so are left with basicly 32-bit account management and the OS is dead because there is no support for 32-bit architecture. Apparently in some cases this may also lead into bricked EFI that means Catalina upgrade bricked your Mac for good.

It's good to hear that probably most get on without problems but the real hitter here is that those with problems get again the warm and always so nice Apple Fuck You, Pay More -treatment. While most of the problems are fixed by removing one file that requires about 5-10 minutes and some knowledge, Apples "official" fix is to change the logicboard and SSD at customers expense (Apple hasn't come out with anything official, but their community is moderated by people who actually work for Apple and they are apparently banning people who give the "wrong" suggestion to remove the problematic file, I would say that is Apples Official stance here just because someone higher must give green light for this and someone even higher also).

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't see the point of rushing to ditch 32bit support, the decision breaks compatibility especially for education or pros that need to use older software, IMO at least give users the choice to have support for 32bit apps, then again it's Apple and they'd rather force you to buy new everything.

To be fair they didn't really rush this. It was announced a while back they would drop the support. Honestly it's way overdue there is no reason why any modern application should still be 32bit. And this is a good way to force those stubborn developers. Ubuntu(linux) tried to do the same a while back as well. But because of backlash of primarily the gaming community they decided to support in some way (I think a separate repository). For gamers I can still see the appeal (could be achieved with a vm or sandbox) but since macos isn't really know for gaming anyway...

16 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO at least give users the choice to have support for 32bit apps,

.....They have the choice...don't go to Catalina. There will be security updates for Mojave for the next 4 or so years.

My main computer is still on Mojave, and will remain so until I'm ready to upgrade it/feel the need to upgrade it/see the bugs have been worked out of the upgrade/get drunk and just upgrade it.

I'm typing this on an El Capitain system. 

All work just fine, and I have no rush to upgrade.

Just as an aside....isn't the "news section" supposed to have actual news sources sited? Not some one's rant, and anecdotes he read on some other forum?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

55 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

there is no reason why any modern application should still be 32bit.

But there is also no reason an OS should drop support for all legacy applications that aren't maintained anymore.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple gives you the power to make that choice for yourself. 

2046831880_ScreenShot2018-09-25at8_26_29AM.png.255a3d3b93025c219c5847b685591a4c.png

I'm pretty sure the real point here is you can also decide which updates to do.

I mean, you can separately update security vulnerabilities similarly to Linux where at least Ubuntu/Debian package manager has a flag for security updates rather than the application ones

Windows "new" system is just bad as it is. I wouldn't mind twice to automatically apply security updates if only I could prevent other useless updates that are more likely to harm the system.

What is the <app of the path>

Is typing

"rm -rf <path of the path>" going to work or it is looking for a specific path? If it is looking for a specific path, than what is that path name?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Another funny thing with this OS, is that after Apple did all the joking with Vista with UAC prompts (which is what Linux based OS already introduced), now Apple joins the party. I think they could no longer deny the security benefits of not being true admin/root.

Looking on Twiiter, many people using the new OS are now doing the same complains that Windows users did back in Vista days when UAC was introduced. Unlike Windows, there is so far no option to reduce them or hide them to my knowledge.

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

But there is also no reason an OS should drop support for all legacy applications that aren't maintained anymore.

Sure there is -- not that Apple is necessarily in the right in this case, but eventually there will be changes an OS developer needs to make that will be hindered by needing compatibility with those legacy apps.

Windows has been held back (both in terms of feature and sales) because of that compatibility with old apps.  Microsoft was obsessed with legacy support above all else for a while, and now it's regretting that as companies insist on running Windows XP or 7 in order to avoid upgrading their 20-year-old database app.  It either has to limit progress to appease these people or accept that they may never be customers again.  Imagine if car makers were forced to keep CD players because a handful of older buyers didn't want to download or stream music -- that's Microsoft's situation in a nutshell.

Apple is occasionally too aggressive, but one of the beauties of its software is that it doesn't feel obligated to chain itself to compatibility.  It'll offer transitions, but when it's done with a software layer, it can move on relatively quickly.  And that, in turn, prevents most developers from becoming complacent.  They can't just keep issuing small updates to the same app forever; they have to modernize if they want to stay relevant.  The problem, of course, is that Apple gave people plenty of warning about 64-bit code and still has devs who have yet to update.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Apple is occasionally too aggressive, but one of the beauties of its software is that it doesn't feel obligated to chain itself to compatibility.  It'll offer transitions, but when it's done with a software layer, it's done for good.  And that, in turn, prevents most developers from becoming complacent.  They can't just keep issuing small updates to the same app forever; they have to modernize if they want to stay relevant.

^^^ Yeah, this is the norm for Apple. See them pushing thunderbolt 3 as the only ports at all on their new laptops and such, they like to pick a standard and aggressively push that, and it's up to other companies or devs to keep up. iOS already went 64-bit only, I think with 12? Not too surprising that they'd do it on macOS too. 

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The problem, of course, is that Apple gave people plenty of warning about 64-bit code and still has devs who have yet to update.

My dad still has to use Internet Explorer for some banking stuff. Banking stuff, which should be secure, relies on software that only works with a browser even Microsoft is doing their best to kill. ? Some bois really hate updating their software. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Why is my question being ignored?
I don't have a mac, but I'm still curious as to what is <path of the app>

No one knows?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

32 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Why is my question being ignored?
I don't have a mac, but I'm still curious as to what is <path of the app>

No one knows?

When you said "the <app of the path>" I thought you were trolling cause you had it backwards. 

OSX works just like linux where you can "cd" your way around the disk to find files you need. For example, the path of google chrome on my Mbp is: MacintoshHD/Applications/"Google Chrome.app" and the contents of the program are inside the Google Chrome.app "directory" (same as clicking show contents on the application's ctrl + click menu.), so to delete an app, I would do: rm -rf MacintoshHD/Applications/"Google Chrome.app" 

If I remember correctly that is. Work has fried my brain and replaced it with lukewarm spaghetti. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, BrinkGG said:

When you said "the <app of the path>" I thought you were trolling cause you had it backwards. 

OSX works just like linux where you can "cd" your way around the disk to find files you need. For example, the path of google chrome on my Mbp is: MacintoshHD/Applications/"Google Chrome.app" and the contents of the program are inside the Google Chrome.app "directory" (same as clicking show contents on the application's ctrl + click menu.), so to delete an app, I would do: rm -rf MacintoshHD/Applications/"Google Chrome.app" 

If I remember correctly that is. Work has fried my brain and replaced it with lukewarm spaghetti. 

Opps, I do meant <path of the app> not <app of the path> sorry about that.

With that said, in the Louis Rossmann video is showed this path

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE 

I assume users who got bricked have to delete the single file in that specific path.

rm -rf System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent

The "FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE" is just the error message and not an actual file.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Opps, I do meant <path of the app> not <app of the path> sorry about that.

With that said, in the Louis Rossmann video is showed this path

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE 

I assume users who got bricked have to delete the single file in that specific path.

rm -rf System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent

The "FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE" is just the error message and not an actual file.

So if that was during load logs (I haven't seen Louis' video yet but I'll watch it soon), that prints the system file that is being loaded and a dmesg string after it. So the path ends with IMTranscoderAgent.

A little tip for paths, especially on Linux or unix based OSes:

If I try to go to /Applications/Google Chrome.app as a just typed it (cd /Applications/Google Chrome.app), it will fail, and say something like "No directory with the name Google". Because there is a space in the name, terminal reads that as a separate location and will only take the text up until the space. To get around this, just add quotes to the name with spaces in it. For example: /Applications/"Google Chrome.app" will get you into that folder. 

Hope this helps. :) 

EDIT: Formatting is hard. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The difference is that in macOS you have the power to refuse an update. You aren’t forced unlike with Windows 10. Further, if anything does happen, a simple TimeMachine restore fixes everything.

Except in this case, where you can't even get to the Restore OS boot screen.  It has the ability completely brick the Mac, requiring another Mac to fix the issue.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Imagine if car makers were forced to keep CD players because a handful of older buyers didn't want to download or stream music -- that's Microsoft's situation in a nutshell.

What's wrong with CD players?  Now, if you had said cassette tape players instead, that would be a different story.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Except in this case, where you can't even get to the Restore OS boot screen.  It has the ability completely brick the Mac, requiring another Mac to fix the issue.

This can be a problem with any OS. Only having one system is a recipe for disaster.