MacOS Catalina: only 64-bit. OS that might ship with 32-bit. software that might brick your Mac

Thaldor

Those of us living under a rock MacOS Catalina is out there but you might want to hold your horses and not to upgrade to it.

The problem seems to be the great decision from Apple to banish 32-bit. softwares from MacOS and make it to only use 64-bit. softwares. This also concerns drivers, firmwares, the OS itself and everything and the problem becomes when the upgrade doesn't upgrade everything and you are left with 32-bit. Entitlement Database which then can't run. The symptom of this is normal bootloop, the machine doesn't start, it's kaput. It just shows blinking ?-file icon. Those with knowledge from running older software and tinkering around retro stuff might recognize the error message which at least 2018 Mac Minis might give out:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE

Yeah, trying to run wrong architecture software in the OS and the software tries to fetch stuff from the memory that is wrongly allocated for it.

As usual Apples recommendation to fix the problem is to the take the affected machine to the extremely infamous Genius Bar and as usually it is expected that their solution is the usual "you need a new logicboard and it's going to cost you a kidney and a leg, would you rather buy a new MacBook?" (and from personal experience if nothing else they will find water damage, as always). For untrained eye this problem really seems like corrupted UEFI that in case of Macs without backup UEFIs means reflashing the UEFI or for the faster solution, just change the damned logicboard (also more expensive and more profitable for the repairer).

I stumbled around this one from who else than Louis Rossmann (also the source) and his friend has a potential solution: Removing the file that causes the problems. This can be done by:

Having trouble deleting stock applications from your macOS computer after upgrading to Catalina?? Just run these commands:

1. dsenableroot (and then enter a password)

2. /sbin/mount -uw /

3. rm -rf <path of the app>

4. dsenableroot disable

Catalina requires you to enter the default unmounted system folder in order to delete the files you want. You may have to take this route if you have crashes on boot with system based applications installed with 32-bit helpers.

From the Apple Community Threads I get that if you get this problem, you can't even get to the RecoveryOS-mode, so I'm not sure where you can get to enter the commands, but there might be a way for those unfortunate enough to walk into the Apples 64-bit trap. It also seems that this problem has been in the knowledge of Apple at least since Catalina Beta7 and they haven't fixed it...

As a bonus from the Rossmanns video: it seems Apple is doing great job holding the spoon where the mouth is and deleting and even banning users who suggest people with this problem to wait while people who don't work for Apple try to find other solutions apart from paying $400-700 to kidney and leg amounts for a new logicboards and PSUs as Apple suggests, because the problem doesn't seem to be that you fucked up your machine, but because Apple fucked up the upgrade and the solution seems to be to delete one file.

Personally I haven't even thought to upgrade my early-2014 MBA to Catalina because I at least remember that I run some 32-bit softwares, but either way I'm not taking the risk. Also there just doesn't seem to be a single upgrade for me as that MBA is my only iDevice and I'm not planning to get a second one. I would suggests people to not upgrade until it's confirmed that we either have a solution (that doesn't require selling your kidney) or Apple fixes their shit. Or if you are too impatient to get the newest iSoftware, wipe everything for clean installation, make a installation media, make sure that you have at least a chance to do something more than hope that some keycombination brings your machine back to life.

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

<snip>

Indeed it does. 

Would recommend that curious people not run this in their terminal unless it's a VM. Which I should actually try tbh, would be interesting to see what it does. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

27 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Which I should actually try tbh, would be interesting to see what it does. 

Nowadays most systems handle that as a special case and require an additional CLI argument like --no-preserve-root plus an additional confirmation.

A friend of mine got the bootloop and had to wipe and do a clean install. Another had the update hang on the "preparing your computer" (updating user account stuff that normally takes a minute or so at the end), forced power off after a couple of hours and it thankfully was OK. 

Seems to be their worst update in a long time.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

<snip>

Should work too. The only problem seems to be how to get to the point where you can access the terminal. At least here normal ways to get to the RecoveryOS seem to be futile and at least I didn't catch from the Rossmanns video where you actually should input the commands (terminal duh, but how to access it is the problem).

Basically you need to already have, or have access to another mac (usually not an issue since pretty much all Mac owners I know have multiple in the family) to make a USB install drive to boot from...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Basically you need to already have, or have access to another mac (usually not an issue since pretty much all Mac owners I know have multiple in the family) to make a USB install drive to boot from...

This is an important consideration for all users of any OS.  I would strongly recommend having multiple devices, or at the very least, use the device you do have to make some bootable recovery media when you have the chance because one day you will need one, and if you don't have any you will be sorry.  It's amazing how many serious problems are a trivial fix if you can just boot another system, but are literally impossible to fix if you lack that ability.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

if you lack that ability

the old single system syndrome

17 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I don't know which one is more common, but the problem at least for that one (and probably couple others) is that they can't access even the most primal boot options (probably total EFI/UEFI corruption) with the keycombos (command+R, command+R+option etc.). As the problem seems to be in Macs from 2012 to 2017 there is also the possibility to move the SSD to another machine (preferably with USB-, M.2-, SATA-adapter) and do the fix and hope that it's just that and not corrupted EFI/UEFI. But if the problem is also in newer Macs with the design flaw called T2-chip, then that's a 100% fucked up situation.

If the boot options are available through keycombos, then the whole problem is trivial since probably even the RecoveryOS-mode is available or, as you said, USB-boot is available.

46 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Nowadays most systems handle that as a special case and require an additional CLI argument like --no-preserve-root plus an additional confirmation.

A friend of mine got the bootloop and had to wipe and do a clean install. Another had the update hang on the "preparing your computer" (updating user account stuff that normally takes a minute or so at the end), forced power off after a couple of hours and it thankfully was OK. 

Seems to be their worst update in a long time.

Oooh I did get the preparing your mac thing, just hard shut down (I googled it and it worked fine for others) and restarted then it behaved. That was on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13", the 2019 13" I was updating to test how it went (right now it's a spare, no user for it yet) did it perfectly.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I remember when I learned that 32 bit applications don't run natively even though it seems like they do. it was honestly kinda shocking how good it works. It's so transparent you can't tell if you don't know....

Every OS has separate libraries for it. Apple I guess decided to remove those libraries.

I honestly don't know why we are in such a rush to do this though... it wasn't really holding back anything afaik

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I remember when I learned that 32 bit applications don't run natively even though it seems like they do. it was honestly kinda shocking how good it works. It's so transparent you can't tell if you don't know....

Every OS has separate libraries for it. Apple I guess decided to remove those libraries.

I honestly don't know why we are in such a rush to do this though... it wasn't really holding back anything afaik

Same old story with current apple corporate direction, disable the old stuff and force customers to buy new everything.  Ratchet industries IRL.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i don't get why macOS has to drop 32-bit emulation/support ._. are they trying to make the OS smaller or what

Yes. Removing the 32Bit libraries not only reduces the size of the OS, but it also streamlined development as the macOS teams don’t have to keep supporting antique code. 

Further it also slaps developers in the face who have no valid reason to still be developing 32bit software. As for edge case abandonware (often found in the academic sector), users can simply not update their Mac. 

22 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

honestly don't know why we are in such a rush to do this though... it wasn't really holding back anything afaik

32Bit libraries probably threw a lot of reaches in the new SIP system for Catalina. Removing the libraries also has the upside of making the overall OS size smaller. 

32Bit does hold back the performance and security of applications, there’s also no real reason to still be using such outdated libraries for modern programs. 

Months before updating my MacBook Pro to Catalina, I went through my programs and removed everything that was 32Bit. There were only a few programs, and an odd game (like Papers Please). 

Now I realize that being this proactive is beyond most users, but the upside of that is most users stick to the Mac App Store and trusted developers who have been 64Bit for a long time. 

It’s only these edge cases where users are using deprecated software that macOS can’t handle during the heavy modifications to the file system that come with Catalina. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Seems like this is hitting macs harder than it is on iOS when they made the switch.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, Thaldor said:

-snip-

i've seen stupid things...

but this tops them all...

you push an update to get rid of 32-bit support when most of the system still runs on 32-bit...

we give Microsoft a hard time with windows update but they have to support countless configs of hardware.

apple has NO excuse for doing this, they knew it would happen, and they still did it!

apple devs rn:

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

rm -rf <path of the app>

What is the <path of the app>?
Is it
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE

Where does the path of the app end, because I doubt the file name is the entire thing.

So is it

rm -rf </System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent>

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

funny how the usual bunch that leave cheeky remarks on Windows Update borking an install for the nth time whilst praising how it never happens on MacOS are relatively quiet here.

45 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

32Bit does hold back the performance and security of applications, there’s also no real reason to still be using such outdated libraries for modern programs. 

A Lawlz like to say: Citation needed

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

funny how the usual bunch that leave cheeky remarks on Windows Update borking an install for the nth time whilst praising how it never happens on MacOS are relatively quiet here.

The difference is that in macOS you have the power to refuse an update. You aren’t forced unlike with Windows 10. Further, if anything does happen, a simple TimeMachine restore fixes everything. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The difference is that in macOS you have the power to refuse an update. You aren’t forced unlike with Windows 10. Further, if anything does happen, a simple TimeMachine restore fixes everything. 

I mean you can easily defer updates on Win and if anything does happen a System Restore fixes everything

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

15 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

defer

defer != refuse

In macOS you can refuse all updates, forever. 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes. Removing the 32Bit libraries not only reduces the size of the OS, but it also streamlined development as the macOS teams don’t have to keep supporting antique code. 

Further it also slaps developers in the face who have no valid reason to still be developing 32bit software. As for edge case abandonware (often found in the academic sector), users can simply not update their Mac. 

There are valid reasons to keep having 32-bit support, but really this is kick to the stomach for people who want to keep using 32-bit parts of Adobe CS5 or CS6 on an Intel mac.

I'm sure there's a lot of old software that doesn't run on the 64-bit mode and the developers have long since stopped caring.

But it is the "right" thing to do ultimately. Good luck seeing Microsoft do this though, as it would render every application going back to 1993 (Win32s subsystem and Windows NT 3.1) unusable. So 26 years gets dumped down the toilet vs Apple's 2005 (14 years ago) Apple supported PPC emulation up until 10.7 though (8 years ago), which is also the same time they switched to the 64-bit kernel. So yeah Developers have had 8 years to fix their stuff to fat-binaries. 

Expect more Linux distros to start doing the same as well. 

i updated to Catalina the day of release, and aside from a bug in mission control i haven't had any problems.

She/Her

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

defer != refuse

In macOS you can refuse all updates, forever. 

because keeping years old bugs is a good idea..

and you can block the updates if you really want to it's just not exposed

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

I'm sure there's a lot of old software that doesn't run on the 64-bit mode and the developers have long since stopped caring.

the main thing i noticed doesn't work anymore is old games. plague inc is the only game i've tried that ran. Call of Duty 2 will install, steam lets me download it, but i can't run it.

She/Her

4 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

because keeping years old bugs is a good idea..

Apple gives you the power to make that choice for yourself. 

4 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

and you can block the updates if you really want to it's just not exposed

2046831880_ScreenShot2018-09-25at8_26_29AM.png.255a3d3b93025c219c5847b685591a4c.png