MacOS Catalina: only 64-bit. OS that might ship with 32-bit. software that might brick your Mac

Thaldor
23 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Opps, I do meant <path of the app> not <app of the path> sorry about that.

With that said, in the Louis Rossmann video is showed this path

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE 

I assume users who got bricked have to delete the single file in that specific path.

rm -rf System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMTranscoding.framework/XPCService/IMTranscoderAgent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/IMTrancoderAgent

The "FAILURE TO RETURN KERNEL ADDRESS SPACE" is just the error message and not an actual file.

Tried Rossmann's method to no success, unable to mount /sbin/mount -uw /, tried giving it all the permissions.

Disabled System Integrity also, but there's no way mac is letting me delete that file, always end up with "operation not permited" or "read-only file system"

has anyone successfully done this yet???

On 10/16/2019 at 12:40 AM, DrMacintosh said:

The difference is that in macOS you have the power to refuse an update. You aren’t forced unlike with Windows 10. Further, if anything does happen, a simple TimeMachine restore fixes everything. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:50 AM, S w a t s o n said:

I mean you can easily defer updates on Win and if anything does happen a System Restore fixes everything

On 10/16/2019 at 1:07 AM, DrMacintosh said:

defer != refuse

In macOS you can refuse all updates, forever. 

I'm gonna have to side with Dr mac here. With 10 and 8 both now, there's a lot of steps involved to delay or defer updates indefinitely, where with mac it never forces me to restart or move to anything new by default. AT MOST it will pester me. Systems I have that are not on LTSB or a customized version of 10 have had problems with large automatic update changes many times now. Default 10 doesn't allow customization of auto updates almost at all, and actively ignores group policy on it. LTSB has all the options and will accept group policy, so it's pretty clear how malicious MS's stance on this is, since they made a version that you can control. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Again, USB sticks. You can get the same thing. Buy your lossless 600 MB (or how much ever MBs lossless usually is in) and go bananas on your audio setup with a tiny thumbdrive. I get the old school vibe, but it's just exactly that, old school that has no relevance whatsoever today.

So you have a problem with physical CD's but not physical thumb drives? If you like streaming then knock yourself out, enjoy it till the cows come home. But why by a USB drive (that in my experience are more prone to failure than CD's) when something suitable already exists.

Remember this isn't a debate about how long CD's will remain relevant, we know everything has a time.   CD's currently live in that awkward period between being obsolete enough for average people but the tech still isn't good enough for the rest of us. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm gonna have to side with Dr mac here. With 10 and 8 both now, there's a lot of steps involved to delay or defer updates indefinitely, where with mac it never forces me to restart or move to anything new by default. AT MOST it will pester me. Systems I have that are not on LTSB or a customized version of 10 have had problems with large automatic update changes many times now. Default 10 doesn't allow customization of auto updates almost at all, and actively ignores group policy on it. LTSB has all the options and will accept group policy, so it's pretty clear how malicious MS's stance on this is, since they made a version that you can control. 

By malicious you mean attempting to keep users secure because 99% of windows installs should be actively kept up to date, whereas someone using LTSB would know the risks and have the specific need because they fucking got LTSB.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Apple: drops support for physical media.

Apple users: well, I stopped using them years ago, makes sense to use that space for other things.

This forum: What's wrong with wax cylinders?  Screw Apple, I'm sticking with my Victrola!

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

36 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Apple users: well, I stopped using them years ago, makes sense to use that space for other things.

This forum: What's wrong with wax cylinders?  Screw Apple, I'm sticking with my Victrola!

In this scenario, it would be more like Apple dropping the ability to even play a CD or DVD in MacOS (frankly, at this point that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest).

Apple: drops support for physical media so you're forced to pay for their services.

Apple users: we stopped using them because we had to,need to make space for all the dongles!

Also Apple users: just stream everything lol.

Tech enthusiast forum: what's wrong with physical media which has better audio quality,and doesn't need an unlimited data plan.

43 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

There are still uses for optical media. If for no other reason, archiving onto simple media that essentially doesn't degrade in a lifetime is better than an external hard disk that can fail, or a USB drive that can fail. Plus, insisting that everyone download everything is bad as well. If you're in a position where you need to do a clean install, you're going to need a second computer and a flash drive, and however many hours of time it takes to download the image and put it on that USB drive. You could proactively do that with Windows, but from what I remember on OSX, Apple just puts the upgrade installer on your desktop space and deletes it after upgrading. I had to consciously put an installer for whatever version of the OS my old 2008 iMac uses on a USB drive, so I could fresh install it down the line, since it would delete the installer after the upgrade.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Apple: drops support for physical media so you're forced to pay for their services.

How weird..I've been using Apple products since likely before you were born...yet, never had a need to buy songs or movies from itunes...

It's almost like you can use anything you want with apple stuff.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

There are still uses for optical media. If for no other reason, archiving onto simple media that essentially doesn't degrade in a lifetime

I was wondering why I had this blu-ray burner hooked up and binders of backup disks behind me.  Again.. almost like I have any option I want available to me.

1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

7 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I was wondering why I had this blu-ray burner hooked up and binders of backup disks behind me.  Again.. almost like I have any option I want available to me.

So which is it?  is it bad to have the option for the tech because its useful and you use it or is it bad when a company drops support for said media leaving you having to find alternatives?

By the way has apple actually dropped support for CD/dvds?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

By the way has apple actually dropped support for CD/dvds?  

No, it's just that the DVD player app is hidden and the CD functionality is hidden inside Music.app. 

If you put a DVD in, DVD.app opens, if you put in a CD, Music.app opens. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

56 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, it's just that the DVD player app is hidden and the CD functionality is hidden inside Music.app. 

If you put a DVD in, DVD.app opens, if you put in a CD, Music.app opens. 

I suspected something along those lines, the concept of cd's not being usable with mac was too much to swallow but their use as an analogy for hardware less used yet not obsolete is much more realistic.

45 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I suspected something along those lines, the concept of cd's not being usable with mac was too much to swallow but their use as an analogy for hardware less used yet not obsolete is much more realistic.

I thought it was pretty obvious I was just making an analogy, though the fact that they've hidden the apps in MacOS does make me wonder if they're not next on the chopping block.

8 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

By malicious you mean attempting to keep users secure because 99% of windows installs should be actively kept up to date, whereas someone using LTSB would know the risks and have the specific need because they fucking got LTSB.

By malicious I mean no way to delay restarts easily, delayed impending restart methods that were simple kept getting patched even in 8, and not being able to even buy the fucking option (ltsb) unless you're making a volume agreement. So fuck anyone but enterprise users. 
By malicious, I mean force restarting fuck all your rendering, fuck your work. By malicious i mean you don't even have to acknowledge the warning for it to restart on its own in 15 minutes. Take a shit? Enjoy your lost render job. Forcing this to stop with simple apps breaks a lot of installations that use uwp. It also forces people to get angry and just all disable it entirely (thats what most easy to use apps do) so now you got people not even getting updates when if they had the fucking option to never force restart they wouldn't care. SSDs are a thing, no one has to wait an hour anymore. 
It's malicious because 90% of people don't know how to make their computer not force update when they're doing something really important. It's one thing to force it when you restart, it's another to not even be able to delay it, or set an option so you can delay it. 
I mean it even ignores group policy now. How is that NOT malicious?

Fuck I was once interviewing someone for a job and their laptop force updated during the skype call. 
That is a malicious disregard for the user in every way.

Not even getting into the forced updates breaking shit. Not a problem for you and me, but others had to pay for repair. 

Fun related story- During the time when they were forcing people to 10, I had a windows 8.1 machine for a while that existed entirely in a VM, but then I started moving it between a vm and a physical laptop. After entering a second key, it soon deactivated again (understandable) so I just used whatever the most popular kms tool was at the time. Since it was cracked, I didn't think I had to worry about it moving to 10 (which it was to be the only pc I kept on 8 ). Well one day I came home to it being forced to 10 tried to roll it back with the built in option but it wouldn't, (might have to do with crack) and I just used a drive image a took a few days before. It had a legit 10 key and everything. Had I not bought a bunch of 8 keys and used the free update for 10 keys, I would have tried to see if I could do that instead lol. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I thought it was pretty obvious I was just making an analogy, though the fact that they've hidden the apps in MacOS does make me wonder if they're not next on the chopping block.

It was, it's just the way the conversation went (and the striking likelihood of it being real) I was starting to wonder if I missed some news.

it's actually been days and I still dont know what the OP was about. 

52 minutes ago, floofer said:

it's actually been days and I still dont know what the OP was about. 

Upgrading to MacOS Catalina may fuck up your Mac. Apple Community Agreed Fix® is to take it to Apple, pay for new MB and SSD and be happy, while it can be fixed with running few commands through terminal in recovery mode, but don't go say that to Apple Community, you will be banned because saving money is for noBelivers®.

Same Catalina upgrade may also bork Macs EFI, which means the Mac is now expensive paperweight because Apple is so nice that they haven't had backup EFI ever and for few years now they have clipped off diagnostic port after the MB is tested, so there isn't a way to reflash the EFI (or if there is it probably needs some special software and another Mac and that software probably is available only for sertificated Apple Repairers®).

To be sure not to face these problems: Don't upgrade to Catalina without physical installation media and preferably don't upgrade at all but perform clean installation.

16 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

By malicious I mean no way to delay restarts easily, delayed impending restart methods that were simple kept getting patched even in 8, and not being able to even buy the fucking option (ltsb) unless you're making a volume agreement. So fuck anyone but enterprise users. 
By malicious, I mean force restarting fuck all your rendering, fuck your work. By malicious i mean you don't even have to acknowledge the warning for it to restart on its own in 15 minutes. Take a shit? Enjoy your lost render job. Forcing this to stop with simple apps breaks a lot of installations that use uwp. It also forces people to get angry and just all disable it entirely (thats what most easy to use apps do) so now you got people not even getting updates when if they had the fucking option to never force restart they wouldn't care. SSDs are a thing, no one has to wait an hour anymore. 
It's malicious because 90% of people don't know how to make their computer not force update when they're doing something really important. It's one thing to force it when you restart, it's another to not even be able to delay it, or set an option so you can delay it. 
I mean it even ignores group policy now. How is that NOT malicious?

Fuck I was once interviewing someone for a job and their laptop force updated during the skype call. 
That is a malicious disregard for the user in every way.

Not even getting into the forced updates breaking shit. Not a problem for you and me, but others had to pay for repair. 

Fun related story- During the time when they were forcing people to 10, I had a windows 8.1 machine for a while that existed entirely in a VM, but then I started moving it between a vm and a physical laptop. After entering a second key, it soon deactivated again (understandable) so I just used whatever the most popular kms tool was at the time. Since it was cracked, I didn't think I had to worry about it moving to 10 (which it was to be the only pc I kept on 8 ). Well one day I came home to it being forced to 10 tried to roll it back with the built in option but it wouldn't, (might have to do with crack) and I just used a drive image a took a few days before. It had a legit 10 key and everything. Had I not bought a bunch of 8 keys and used the free update for 10 keys, I would have tried to see if I could do that instead lol. 

Windows 10 will almost never actually force you to update while you're doing something now. If it does it's because you ignored the updates for literally like 6 months. Every single time it will attempt to restart outside active hours, if it wants to "force" it in 15 minutes it's going to tell you and again, it's your fault. It wont do it during a rendering job I guarantee you that much. I think you're mostly referring to early Win 10 and Win 7/8 in your examples.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On 10/18/2019 at 6:16 PM, S w a t s o n said:

Windows 10 will almost never actually force you to update while you're doing something now. If it does it's because you ignored the updates for literally like 6 months. Every single time it will attempt to restart outside active hours, if it wants to "force" it in 15 minutes it's going to tell you and again, it's your fault. It wont do it during a rendering job I guarantee you that much. I think you're mostly referring to early Win 10 and Win 7/8 in your examples.

It does, however it does it less NOW. 8 still does it to me. I restart for an update, think Im cool, forces me again when im afk the next day- though one problem they've fixed is it used to be you'd sleep/hibernate and the timer would still count down, wake it up, walk away and get the "15 minutes fuck you" warning with no prior warnings, now it actually resets it to 1 day most of the time until it's delayed too long.

Keep in mind that you can usually put it off for a day or whatever if you click so, but it gave you a prompt that if you ignore (or are not there for) itll just update now. The same thing for the forced upgrade to 10, which was unacceptable in every way, seriously. 

It is not the user's fault they've designed it so it even ignores group policy. And yes, it will do it during a render job because those take hours and you dont watch it- in fact the taking solong part is why it's such a big deal, you don't let something compute for more than a day, checking it every few hours, to lose it all to a windows forced update and NOT get mad- it's basically the really time consuming things it gets you on. Funny thing, I once had a desperate sounding phonecall of this exact reason "how do I stop it" on 8. Ofc that was then setup properly, which is much easier on 8- always update on restart and never force restart. 

I will acknowledge that I'm referring to early 10 and 8/8.1 (never had problems with 7, it was all optional anyway, which meant everyone was 2 years outa date), however I configured systems/moved some to ltsb pretty early on so I really only have like one computer that's still on 'vanilla' 10. It's still malicious. Force update by default is not a bad thing, but not even allowing for a setting? Ignoring GP? Come on. In fact, I'd 100% have less of a problem if they allowed LTSB to have a single sale license, because tbh it's the perfect version of 10 and there'd be SOME remedy for the less-than-power-user types who need an OS that treats them like they have important shit to do. 

The problem with this behavior of fisting updates with no lube (importantly with no way to turn it off) for the standard user is they will get mad and find a way that fix it that usually involves entirely disabling updates, which defeats the damn purpose and causes other problems they blame MS for (like UWP not working). There's a million apps for this, and most of them do just that- kill it entirely. The "disable all updates" option in 7 was on like most personal computers I saw - full control of the system while it's on is all people really want. Before they didn't want to wait, but these days you don't really have to. When in 7 you could keep updates and just toggle the restart behavior, people just took a meat cleaver to a scalpel problem because "my computer wont tell me what to do". No option to disable updates on restart but an option to disable forced restarts seems ideal. 

muh specs 

All parts black

6 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The same thing for the forced upgrade to 10, which was unacceptable in every way, seriously. 

On this, I concur.  That was very underhanded of MS to do.

6 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It is not the user's fault they've designed it so it even ignores group policy.

Do you have some actual evidence that 10 ignores GP, or is this anecdotal?  Because my system is configured with GP to only check for updates, but not download or install them, and it still works fine, albeit I'm still running 1809 (I typically stay at least a year behind).

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Because my system is configured with GP to only check for updates, but not download or install them, and it still works fine

My laptops are too, on 1903 and it works fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 10/21/2019 at 8:12 PM, Jito463 said:

On this, I concur.  That was very underhanded of MS to do.

Do you have some actual evidence that 10 ignores GP, or is this anecdotal?  Because my system is configured with GP to only check for updates, but not download or install them, and it still works fine, albeit I'm still running 1809 (I typically stay at least a year behind).

My experience with this (and reading about it) was long before 1809, I since haven't tried it. IIRC enterprise and LTSB wont ignore it, but other editions will. This of course, could have been changed. I'd seen some complaints about the same thing when I was researching the problem at the time, and I moved on to other solutions. Some of those threads were related to businesses, and the only answer was "well then why are you not o n enterprise" which never had any of these problems at any point. There was a reason most of the early windows 10 "fixes" were registry edits, not GP edits. Also, some problems with updates overwriting those registry settings makes that a bad idea. 

Whether or not this is still a thing, it seems pretty apparent to me MS was trying to prevent that large crowd that never updates from doing that, making MS look worse when patched problems still get posted on social media and stuff. Since they've done a lot worse on testing before releases lately, it would take a problem that was maybe solved in a  week and get them bad PR for months if they didn't force as many users as possible to update. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

prevent that large crowd that never updates from doing that

All they achieved is ppl sinkholing all ms domains..... (im doing at the router level and blocking external DNS) Their plan backfired pretty badly.