Samsung admits that the Galaxy Fold was pushed before it was fully ready; fix complete and being tested but no re-release date is shared

D13H4RD

Well, one can say the Galaxy Fold saga is quite the embarrassment for Samsung. Whilst not nearly as much as the fiasco that was self-igniting Note7s, the Fold's pre-launch failure was no less disconcerting. 

Well, as it turned out, Samsung's chief of mobile, Koh Dong-jin, in an interview with some members of the press, has come out to say that the Fold was pushed out the door before it was fully ready for prime-time and at least according to him, it was an utter embarrassment. 

At a recent meeting with The Independent and select other media outlets in Seoul, South Korea, Samsung explained how the problems happened and revealed the current status of Galaxy Fold. “It was embarrassing. I pushed it through before it was ready,” said DJ Koh. As the CEO of Samsung Electronics, Koh oversees a company that has been the world’s number one smartphone maker since 2012.

On when the Fold will be re-released, Koh did not give a date but mentioned that the fix has been applied and is currently being tested 

“I do admit I missed something on the foldable phone, but we are in the process of recovery. At the moment, more than 2,000 devices are being tested right now in all aspects. We defined all the issues. Some issues we didn’t even think about, but thanks to our reviewers, mass volume testing is ongoing.”

When asked about a release date, Koh simply said “In due course. Give us a bit more time.” Another Samsung Exec recently noted that “most” of the Galaxy Fold’s display problems have been ironed out, and that the phone is ready to hit the market, so hopefully it arrives sooner rather than later.

So perhaps it'll be out perhaps after the Galaxy Note10? Who knows... 

Sources

TNW

The (not-so) Independent

Thoughts 

Spoiler

Don't rush. I kinda get the whole thing on wanting to blow the doors open and be the first, but this kinda blew in their faces. Foldable devices present interesting and difficult challenges and I really think thay the Fold would have benefitted from a delay before it was even shown to the media. I would have expected Samsung to understand since the Note7 fiasco, but I guess that kinda flew over their heads in the mad foldable dash. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The release it just to get ahead from the chinese.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

another blunder after note 7.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

"It's ready but its not ready"

Folding phones are a joke. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Of course it's embarrassing,  admitting it is the only way to salvage any form of respect.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

56 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Of course it's embarrassing,  admitting it is the only way to salvage any form of respect.

It's nice that they at least own up to their mistake, not that it makes a 2k phone any more in my price range XD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Premature publication is a very risky thing to do.. wtf were they expecting?

Hope they get it sorted, as in, have nice products going forwards.

I guess they should have had it as a concept phone, few runs/couple of units, out to publishers/reviewers etc. Just to get a feel for the "market", like some car manufacturers do with the "only 25 sports cars" runs.

Then call the devices back, and look at how to make millions of reliable ones. Don't push the tech beyond what it can do, else you get folding iPads when the metal cools, and you forgot the structural rigidity tests... Or the batteries failing in the Notes. XD

It's still a great design IMO (will need better external screens, or different folding sides/mechanisms). But it's the same as the early candybar phones/laptops/home desktops. Some were useless... now look at us!

27 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

BioWare magic....but for foldable phones

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

27 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Hope they get it sorted, as in, have nice products going forwards.

Ditto, I am looking forward to the day I can have a folding phone,  it will mean a full 5.5" screen on something I can put in a solid case and have in my front pocket.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Gotta give credit to Samsung for being able to completely halt and redo such expensive products, previous example being the Note 7.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

42 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Ditto, I am looking forward to the day I can have a folding phone,  it will mean a full 5.5" screen on something I can put in a solid case and have in my front pocket.

It'll be some time before that'll be fully realized. But ya gotta start somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It'll be some time before that'll be fully realized. But ya gotta start somewhere. 

I don't usually hold my breath for much in the tech world, but given I bust phones every year and it's getting stupid, I really want something that folds smaller I can put in a stupid hard case. 

We're getting there. It may be slow but We're getting there

✨FNIGE✨

People take notice of a product to do something new, but people buy the first product to do that new thing right

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, TrigrH said:

And bending ones are fine? :D

They're also a joke, just an old one :P

20 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

People take notice of a product to do something new, but people buy the first product to do that new thing right

In fact, a lot of the time, the first product / manufacturer to get something right will get the credit for inventing it. Both Nintendo and Apple have long histories of that occurring.

31 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Samsung and Huawei got it right yet

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Samsung and Huawei got it right yet

They definitely have not. There are challenges with both designs they need to overcome before it meets the general expectations of the consumer, both in function and longevity. However I actually have confidence that they will eventually figure it out and get it selling. Not to everyone mind you, just the ones with big expectations and bigger wallets :D 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

This is Samsung -- if it has to choose between "first but crappy" and "later but good," it will always pick the former.  See also: Galaxy Gear.

I'll never understand companies that push software or hardware before it's ready. Especially when clearly it's not. It just backfires, you'd expect those on top and those making decisions tolnow better at big companies. But it seems it's not the case. 

Meant this in general, not just hardware but also software like games. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

That is great!

I so look forward to not owning one either ways.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I want a tablet in my pocket so I'll probably grab one of these once the issues have been sorted out.

17 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'll never understand companies that push software or hardware before it's ready. Especially when clearly it's not. It just backfires, you'd expect those on top and those making decisions tolnow better at big companies. But it seems it's not the case. 

Meant this in general, not just hardware but also software like games. 

I can't see it costing them anything outside of a few unsalvageable $ from the actual product.   The note 7 didn't lose them sales, the keyboard issue didn't lose apple sales, nor did thee antenna issue.  The average consumer just doesn't care unless they personally get burnt, even then there is another consumer who just got burnt by someone else who is willing to take a chance.  

Especially now they have admitted what went wrong and have taken responsibility for it.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I can't see it costing them anything outside of a few unsalvageable $ from the actual product.   The note 7 didn't lose them sales, the keyboard issue didn't lose apple sales, nor did thee antenna issue.  The average consumer just doesn't care unless they personally get burnt, even then there is another consumer who just got burnt by someone else who is willing to take a chance.  

Especially now they have admitted what went wrong and have taken responsibility for it.  

It's a very shitty practice though. Pushing and releasing something that clearly wasn't tested and worked on enough.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |