Xbox One S All Digital is Coming out Soon

Shreyas1

1401907520_Xboxonealldigital.png.d7b54f192895e9ccc559dca98b969c05.png

The Xbox One S is getting a cheaper sibling. 

On Tuesday Microsoft announced that it will be launching a new version of its Xbox One S system on May 7 that ditches the Blu-ray disc drive in favor of a cheaper $249.99 price. 

Beyond the removal of the drive, the new One S All-Digital Edition is nearly identical in both size and performance to earlier Xbox One S consoles. It comes with a 1 TB hard drive for storing games and can still stream videos in 4K HDR.

The white design is the same as the one on the current One S, with the only real difference externally being that the slot for discs now is solid plastic. 

Its just an Xbox one without a disc drive. I think the price is too high, as you can get a regular Xbox one s for cheaper if you look around a bit.

The regular One S is currently offered for between $229.99 and $249.99 as part of bundles at outlets like Monoprice, Best Buy and even the Microsoft Store, and during the holiday shopping season often hovered closer to $200 than its official $299.99 retail price.

While Microsoft wouldn't go so far as to announce how low the One S All-Digital Edition will go, the company is putting a $50 difference between the disc and disc-less systems. It's possible that when the holidays roll around later this year the One S All Digital variant will be even cheaper.

Luckily, MS has stated that this will not be a replacement, but rather an appeal to newer markets. Though I still think it would be better at a lower price.

There have been rumors about Microsoft wanting to ditch the disc drive for its next-generation system, but Gattis wouldn't go that far, at least not today. "This is not the end of physical media by any means. What we do think it is, is additive," he said, giving consumers a different, cheaper choice if they plan to buy digital copies of games.

He does, however, hope that by driving costs down the new Xbox will push for further innovation across the industry ahead of the new round of systems and platforms.

"At the end of the day, all this stuff is good for gamers," Gattis said. "It's going to drive innovation, it's going to drive costs down and that's a win for gamers." 

The New Xbox will be out on May 7

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/04/16/xbox-one-s-gets-cheaper-sibling-new-disc-less-all-digital-edition/3476962002/

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

WDF Austin have beard and mustache?! He looks totally different that I thought he is another Youtuber. 

Optical media is dying a slow, painful death.

This saddens me, but the future is forward. I'd buy it, if I played console.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I actually use mine for a BD player too, so that doesn't help me. I also couldn't get a decent 4K bluray player for $50, so it's a bad value for me.

My nephews were genuinely confused when I sat them down at me Xbox 360 and it couldn't play any of my games without putting the disk in, so they would be fine.

I bought mine brand new with a disc drive and a controller for $249...

That was over 2 years ago.

I primarily use mine as a Blu Ray player. It was the cheapest 4K player I could get at the time and it’s still cheaper than a lot of options out there. Granted, I did actually buy the remote and don’t regret doing so.

I understand the move to all digital but I don’t have to like it. I love the look of physical games on a shelf and also like knowing that I just have a game and don’t have to rely on an internet connection or a service.

I actually don’t have an internet connection (and haven’t for a year for budgetary reasons) so physical media has been a saving grace. On the movie front specifically, this is much better. Far less compression.

All I have at home is my phone with unlimited data. Unfortunately, it’s so slow that it’s useless to tether to a computer.

Let's be real, Xbox game discs are just another form of DRM, very little of the actual game is actually stored on the disc, so you have to download the nigh on 100gb of data for the game whether you buy the physical game or not, which sort of defeats the point of buying the game physically in the first place. 

The only advantage of buying the physical game is being able to sell it.

But then again, I bet a large number of XBOXs were purchased purely as a Blu-ray players because it's cheaper than a dedicated Blu-ray player with equivalent specs, and Microsoft won't make money from them, so it doesn't matter if they don't like the change

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

As somebody who really enjoys owning physical media to preserve and collect, especially retro equipment... I don't like this. There's just something inherently satisfying to owning a physical copy of a game, but not so much to a digital license that's only supported so long as the publisher says so, and Microsoft is willing to continue distributing it. Don't get me wrong, there's a place for it - mostly just games I don't care enough about that I'm not concerned with preserving them in any capacity, but the Xbox as a system, there are several titles I plan on holding onto along with the console itself for the purpose of collecting them, and I'm going to be sorely disappointed if one of the titles I'm waiting for in the future ends up being digital only.

Also, major gripe with the console, Microsoft is selling a more expensive version of the Xbox One S with less features? It'd be significantly more compelling even remotely worth considering if they went and included a 3TB drive or MSRP started at $179. Heck, it'd even be nice if they included a user accessible 2.5" hard drive bay in place of the disc drive so users don't have to resort to ugly external solutions, but... they didn't. Instead, we have the Xbox One SAD.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

You can literally go into the PX where I live and get an Xbox One S for like $229 with a game.

Good job at pricing your own console out of its price bracket, Microsoft.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

LOL, you can get a 1TB model with one AAA title for around £190-230 WITH the HD blu-ray player drive... this pricing makes no sense whatsoever. Yes discs are dying, BUT HD blu-ray drives are actually worthwhile IMO for movies, much more value than buying a stand-alone HD blu-ray player.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Damn, he had an XBox One S right next to it.

He could have just tried the Drive from the other Console and put it in and see what happened...

The PS4 Disc Drive can not be replaced by the way because its married to the board to prevend piracy...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Seems weird to release another xbox one so close to the end of this current generation with the PS5 supposedly this year and Microsoft's next Xbox being next year. Xbox better be fully backwards compatible like the PS5 will be,

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've seen a lot of negative comments about this, especially on YouTube. As a PC and PS4 gamer, I'm totally fine with this move as long as the price stays low. In the conference they said that they would maintain the $50 price difference with the S, even when the S is on sale. At $200 I think this would be a very attractive product for casual gamers and I like the fact that you can get an actual console for less than the price of a "mainstream" GPU like the GTX 1660.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Seems weird to release another xbox one so close to the end of this current generation with the PS5 supposedly this year and Microsoft's next Xbox being next year. Xbox better be fully backwards compatible like the PS5 will be,

PS5 is next year.

Frankly I would love to be on the side of "physical media > digital media" for many reasons, but let's get real, we've been terrible consumer, even awful, allowing studios and publishers to release half baked games that are unplayable on the disc without downloading massive "day one patches".

Physical is dead, and we have only us to blame for it.

Now watch as we ruin it further by cheering at the word "roadmap" while they expand the trash "live service" concept.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, yolosnail said:

very little of the actual game is actually stored on the disc

With MAYBE the exception of a few games, this is false. One can leave their XBOne disconnected from the internet, buy game discs, and play the games just fine.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Seems weird to release another xbox one so close to the end of this current generation <snip> Xbox better be fully backwards compatible like the PS5 will be

With streaming being forefront on people's minds, and Microsoft being vocal about access to Xbox Live across all platforms...the price point for this seems utterly stupid.

They should have priced this much lower, so people are enticed into getting brand new hardware instead a deals on older models, or even the used market. Then, once the new Xbox platform is released, the they could easily to go "Oh by the way, you can stream the games from the new xbox. Only on the discless xbox one, using gamepass"

Second wind of console sales, and subscriptions for streaming services. And longer shelf life for their strangely timed new hardware release.

Infact, I assumed the only reason they're releasing this thing when they are, is if that's their game plan. So colour me confused.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Not that I'd every buy an Xbox1, but I still approve of this change.

Physical media drives are loud, more expensive, and frankly outdated. I'm a little surprised they've lasted in consoles for as long as they did.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

PS5 is next year.

Source? Methinks if PS5 was just a year away, the hype train would already be rolling, yet I've heard nothing about it. 

Also, considering that they have all these relatively new exclusives on PS4 + more high profile exclusives coming, I highly doubt they intend to just drop a PS5 so fast. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

19 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Source? Methinks if PS5 was just a year away, the hype train would already be rolling, yet I've heard nothing about it. 

Also, considering that they have all these relatively new exclusives on PS4 + more high profile exclusives coming, I highly doubt they intend to just drop a PS5 so fast. 

You do realize next year would leave a window of almost 20 months? They've just announced some of the specs and appears to be ready with a dev kit in some form. Also, if they started the hype too early they'll ruin their own sales of current consoles. Nobody wants the Osbourne effect. 

It's not fast either. The current gen is on its last legs. AMD needs time with the tech to get it ready for semi-custom work which should mean it'll be ready for production next year. 

Of course there's a chance they'll artificially push the launch back to 2021 but it seems unlikely. 

That price just don't make sense.  Especially considering it is still stuck with a 1TB drive (from my own experience with my XBX and XBS, 1TB gets eaten up pretty fast).

Could they not at least beef up the internal drive if this console going to be without a disc drive?

On top,  I occasionaly see standard Xbox One S consoles drop at or below 250 bucks brand new around here.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I think a lot of people stuck on the price (“I’ve seen the One S for under that!”, etc)

are missing the point. 

Microsoft said that even when the One S is on sale, they intend on maintaining the $50 price difference. 

That means expect this new one to go on sale for $200, or even lower during major sales (eg: Boxing Day or Black Friday/Cyber Monday). 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I've seen a lot of negative comments about this, especially on YouTube. As a PC and PS4 gamer, I'm totally fine with this move as long as the price stays low. In the conference they said that they would maintain the $50 price difference with the S, even when the S is on sale. At $200 I think this would be a very attractive product for casual gamers and I like the fact that you can get an actual console for less than the price of a "mainstream" GPU like the GTX 1660.

This! I still feel incredibly stupid for buying/building a $1000 PC desktop that requires a monitor, keyboard and mouse which I hardly ever use. I would be happier with a $200 console I can hookup to any TV. I stay in hotels a lot for work.