Fido / Rogers (Canadian provider) to charge $10 for customer support that can be done by customers on their own

Andreas Lilja

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/23/fido-account-handling-fee-self-serve/

Rogers-owned flanker brand Fido will soon charge users a mandatory account handling fee when they call in, use live chat or social media to complete certain transactions. The $10 account handling fee will go live on May 14th, 2019. Further, it will apply to transactions where Fido also offers self-serve options. It does not apply to customer inquiries — such as asking about your account or bill or how to complete a transaction through self serve. Additionally, there are exceptions to the fee, including for customers with special needs.

Canadian providers are thieves but I kinda agree with this. Should also apply to people who cause lines at banks because they want to withdraw or deposit. It's 2019.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I don’t agree with this policy. An expensive service commands premium customer support. Since Canadian data plans are some of the most expensive in the world, you’d expect customer support to be free. 

On the other hand, if these Canadian carriers lower their data plan prices as a result of increased savings from customer support then I would support this 100%. But it is evident that Canadian data plans are slowly becoming more expensive in the past 2 years. Canadian cell companies are scum. 

6 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I don’t agree with this policy. An expensive service commands premium customer support. Since Canadian data plans are some of the most expensive in the world, you’d expect customer support to be free. 

On the other hand, if these Canadian carriers lower their data plan prices as a result of increased savings from customer support then I would support this 100%. But it is evident that Canadian data plans are slowly becoming more expensive in the past 2 years. Canadian cell companies are scum. 

We do get - hopefully - shorter wait times.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Always been a thing for service calls.

kinda like how comcast literally would fuck something up on the pole, fix the pole, then file it as "customer's fault" and try to charge 75$ me back in the day. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Seems like inflation is starting to negatively effect companies as well. Which is my theory behind the current state of the video game industry. They don't want to charge $60 a game anymore because $60 now is less than $60 ten years ago.

It's almost as if an entirely debt based economy is a bad idea.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Monopoly at its finest in Canada. There's no hope for our telecom companies so it was just a matter of time before they pull this crap. 

And no, for those that say to use the small telecom companies that's leasing the big three's line, they are just as bad in a different fashion like charging a technician to come fix the line, or something like troubleshooting and etc. BS all around. 

2 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Monopoly at its finest in Canada.

I think you mean oligopoly here. It'd be a monopoly if there literally was only 1 provider. But there are a handful big carriers who own the infrastructure, hence an oligopole.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

47 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I think you mean oligopoly here. It'd be a monopoly if there literally was only 1 provider. But there are a handful big carriers who own the infrastructure, hence an oligopole.

Even then an oligopoly severely limits a new entrant into the market, which is why you don't see another service provider really challenging the big three.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

At least you have a choice. 

129 MILLION Americans only have access to one broadband provider. I'd love to have Canadian ISPs compared to the shitstorm here...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

God, if this applied to US carriers, a third of my time spent at work would have been freed up. It's actually quite surprising how much a carrier lets you do on their mobile apps, it's just that people would rather waste 15 minutes of my time than spend 2 minutes trying to do it themselves.

That said, unless the carrier offers something back to customers, at least more than reduced wait times (which will be brought back up when the carrier finds out they can reduce phone support staffing), this is kind of a dick move.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

You can just get your tech support http://www.linustechtips.com

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 hours ago, Suika said:

God, if this applied to US carriers, a third of my time spent at work would have been freed up. It's actually quite surprising how much a carrier lets you do on their mobile apps, it's just that people would rather waste 15 minutes of my time than spend 2 minutes trying to do it themselves.

That said, unless the carrier offers something back to customers, at least more than reduced wait times (which will be brought back up when the carrier finds out they can reduce phone support staffing), this is kind of a dick move.

That's not how it would work.  If csm calls reduce by 1/3 they'd cut staff by 1/2

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

19 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/23/fido-account-handling-fee-self-serve/

Canadian providers are thieves but I kinda agree with this. Should also apply to people who cause lines at banks because they want to withdraw or deposit. It's 2019.

People cant use a bank teller to deposit or withdraw in your mind? Thats just stupid. What if I wanna take out 2500 bucks, what if I have a cheque for 35 grand that I want to deposit and dont wanna leave it in a machine? I dont like lines at the bank but that was a ridiculous statement.

9 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

People cant use a bank teller to deposit or withdraw in your mind? Thats just stupid. What if I wanna take out 2500 bucks, what if I have a cheque for 35 grand that I want to deposit and dont wanna leave it in a machine? I dont like lines at the bank but that was a ridiculous statement.

Now they are going to charge people for not using the self checkout at grocery stores too. I hate dealing with automated systems and would rather talk to someone. I shouldn't have to pay for customer service. 

20 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Canadian data plans are some of the most expensive in the world

I thought you were exaggerating so I looked at Fido’s plans, wow they’re really bad. Phone plans in my country cost that much about 5 years ago, mind you Canadian cable broadband is much better.

53 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I shouldn't have to pay for customer service. 

In an increasingly automated and efficiency focused world, why shouldn’t you?

49 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Because, by and large, customer facing automation is utter garbage.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

Because, by and large, customer facing automation is utter garbage.

I agree. The Koodo (Fido competitor) system is very unhelpful. You basically have a limited number of questions with answers. It’s nothing more than a fancy FAQ. It’s seldom helpful. That is not the future IMHO. 

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

That sentence makes me think you'd happily charge an entrance fee for  people to enter the bank. Gotta nickle and dime, eh?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Because that's how business is done. Why would I go and do business with people who are gonna be too cheap to even offer customer support if you dont pay for it? 

33 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Because that's how business is done. Why would I go and do business with people who are gonna be too cheap to even offer customer support if you dont pay for it? 

Because the parent company Rogers which offers “free” customer support charges more for data plans. And it’s not like the competitors are doing anything different. It’s an absolute price fixing oligopoly. And if one company lowers their standards then every other company will follow suit. 

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

Because the parent company Rogers which offers “free” customer support charges more for data plans. And it’s not like the competitors are doing anything different. It’s an absolute price fixing oligopoly. And if one company lowers their standards then every other company will follow suit. 

I have options so I refuse to do business with companies that do this type of practice. 

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I have options so I refuse to do business with companies that do this type of practice. 

Well good for you, wooptie-doo! I am stuck in Canada and I’m stuck with using either Koodo, Fido or Virgin. I use Koodo. I know that Public Mobile exists, but the data only works in the city. 

On 3/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Raskolnikov said:

It's 2019, the year in which you have to call customer support, do lines, and deal in cash because of the incompetence and/or malice of service providers. And then they want you to pay them for using a "service" you wouldn't need if they did something as simple as keeping their end of the deal.

But hey, I, for one, welcome our new corporate overlords. No wonder "software as a service" is sweeping us so easily. I'd call it Stockholm Syndrome, but at this point it's like the whole Scandinavia.