Fido / Rogers (Canadian provider) to charge $10 for customer support that can be done by customers on their own

Andreas Lilja
4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I agree. The Koodo (Fido competitor) system is very unhelpful. You basically have a limited number of questions with answers. It’s nothing more than a fancy FAQ. It’s seldom helpful. That is not the future IMHO. 

The big problem is these companies outsource the design of their automated systems to the lowest bidder and only demand the minimal amount of effort be expended so the system just barely qualifies as “working”. I have never seen a good phone or website based automated help system.

22 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Now they are going to charge people for not using the self checkout at grocery stores too. I hate dealing with automated systems and would rather talk to someone. I shouldn't have to pay for customer service. 

there are actually a lot of stores in my area, that are self checkout only.  they no longer have normal checkstands.  and with that, they only have one person managing a group of 10 stations.  which means i have to wait forever for somebody to tell the computer to shut the fuck up because it doesnt like that i put the item in the bag.  

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

there are actually a lot of stores in my area, that are self checkout only.  they no longer have normal checkstands.  and with that, they only have one person managing a group of 10 stations.  which means i have to wait forever for somebody to tell the computer to shut the fuck up because it doesnt like that i put the item in the bag.  

Yeah I dont have a single store like that in my area. All of then have a normal checkout lane as well as self checkout lanes. 

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

In the place where the general populace wasn't trusted to pump their own gas? Damn that was a fast 180 for Oregon.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Raskolnikov said:

Canadian providers are thieves

south american ISPs:

veggie.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

In the place where the general populace wasn't trusted to pump their own gas? Damn that was a fast 180 for Oregon.

right?  in my area, home depot is entirely self check out, walmart is almost there, and a few other places.

on the plus side, in 15 counties you can self pump any time, and in 3 more you can self pump after hours (and people are still mad about it cuz "I shouldnt have to do it myself" lazy fuckers)

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

on the plus side, in 15 counties you can self pump any time, and in 3 more you can self pump after hours (and people are still mad about it cuz "I shouldnt have to do it myself" lazy fuckers)

Thank god I don't live in Oregon.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

22 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

I thought you were exaggerating so I looked at Fido’s plans, wow they’re really bad. Phone plans in my country cost that much about 5 years ago, mind you Canadian cable broadband is much better.

Yeah, I just had a look at some of their prepaid plans... Holy balls those prices are awful, I knew it was bad, but didn't realise it was pre 2010 bad. 1GB of data, no minutes & unlimited texts for CAD30.00 per month.

I don't live somewhere that is cheap for mobile plans either, but for £20.00 (approx CAD35.40) prepaid I get 20GB data & 10000 mins/texts.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Thank god I don't live in Oregon.

but hey, no sales tax!  just one of the highest income taxes in the country...

honestly i would love to move out of oregon, but my wife likes it here for some reason

|Specs in profile|

Just now, Tsuki said:

i would love to move out of oregon, but my wife likes it here for some reason

Move to Idaho. All the good things of Oregon, none of the 99% of the remainder of Oregon.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Move to Idaho. All the good things of Oregon, none of the 99% of the remainder of Oregon.

cant smoke weed their (legally), which puts a damper on things.  although i have considered it.

|Specs in profile|

1 hour ago, IntMD said:

Yeah, I just had a look at some of their prepaid plans... Holy balls those prices are awful, I knew it was bad, but didn't realise it was pre 2010 bad. 1GB of data, no minutes & unlimited texts for CAD30.00 per month.

I don't live somewhere that is cheap for mobile plans either, but for £20.00 (approx CAD35.40) prepaid I get 20GB data & 10000 mins/texts.

LMAO that’s cheap!!! Anywhere outside of Canada is cheap for mobile plans, comparatively. 

At the very very least you get more than enough data for a very affordable price. If you want more than 10Gb of data in Canada you’re looking at over $130 easily. And any Canadian plan requires you to spend another $5/month for unlimited phone calls over getting “only” 500 minutes. They also used to charge for voicemail and call display several years ago. 

2 hours ago, IntMD said:

41 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

LMAO that’s cheap!!! Anywhere outside of Canada is cheap for mobile plans, comparatively. 

At the very very least you get more than enough data for a very affordable price. If you want more than 10Gb of data in Canada you’re looking at over $130 easily. And any Canadian plan requires you to spend another $5/month for unlimited phone calls over getting “only” 500 minutes. They also used to charge for voicemail and call display several years ago. 

"Back in the day" (~10 years ago) you used to be able to get unlimited data/text/minutes for £15 top up for a month. Sickens me the nickle and dime dance we do in this day n age.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

20 minutes ago, Noctus said:

"Back in the day" (~10 years ago) you used to be able to get unlimited data/text/minutes for £15 top up for a month. Sickens me the nickle and dime dance we do in this day n age.

Yeah! The simple fact that you’re comparing Canada to your country 10 years ago is sad. 

I dream of the day where I can use all of the data hungry apps like Spotify, YouTube etc...without concern. If you think about it, these Canadian mobile companies are slowing down the use of internet services with their stupid data plan rates. So I’m just wondering if a company like Amazon, Apple or Google would be interested in bettering the Canadian Mobile market to sell more services to Canadians. 

On 3/24/2019 at 2:11 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

Always been a thing for service calls.

kinda like how comcast literally would fuck something up on the pole, fix the pole, then file it as "customer's fault" and try to charge 75$ me back in the day. 

Eh, in Canada, ISPs don't normally charge for service calls when it's anything leading up to the point where the drop enters the customers homes, which makes sense, since the customer is not legally allowed to touch lines running on the poles, or even the CPE box outside the home, as these belong to the cable company.

Now if we were allowed to touch these cables ourselves, I'd be on board with ISPs charging for service calls, since technically we could do it ourselves, or hire a 3rd party contractor to do it, but again, since the ISPs own these portions of cable, the onus is 100% on them to ensure the service I'm paying for works from the Node up to the entry point into my home.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, TetraSky said:

I think you mean oligopoly here. It'd be a monopoly if there literally was only 1 provider. But there are a handful big carriers who own the infrastructure, hence an oligopole.

I'll just leave this here...

Oh, and we can't forget the one about net neutrality, especially now that Article 11 & 13 have been passed in the EU...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Eh, in Canada, ISPs don't normally charge for service calls when it's anything leading up to the point where the drop enters the customers homes, which makes sense, since the customer is not legally allowed to touch lines running on the poles, or even the CPE box outside the home, as these belong to the cable company.

Now if we were allowed to touch these cables ourselves, I'd be on board with ISPs charging for service calls, since technically we could do it ourselves, or hire a 3rd party contractor to do it, but again, since the ISPs own these portions of cable, the onus is 100% on them to ensure the service I'm paying for works from the Node up to the entry point into my home.

I'll just leave this here...

Oh, and we can't forget the one about net neutrality, especially now that Article 11 & 13 have been passed in the EU...

oh we're typically not charged either for anything past your house, Comcast just felt the need to lie about shit. Fixed the pole, never came to my house, said they did and it way my equipment. Every few months with them was an argument like this.  They were just scummy. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is very scummy. Does Canada have consumer protection for the elderly? Because this is 100% targeting them because they know they will call and likely not notice the charge!

1 hour ago, Chett_Manly said:

This is very scummy. Does Canada have consumer protection for the elderly? Because this is 100% targeting them because they know they will call and likely not notice the charge!

I feel so bad for the elderly! Because Canadian mobile companies continue to charge the consumer after the 2-year contract is over. Long story short: you’ll be indirectly paying off your phone indefinitely, even after the 2 year “tab” period if you forget to switch your plan over to BYOD (bring your own device) for lower rates. The rationale of Rogers and co. is that the provider doesn’t want to interrupt the service for the consumer. And that’s so scummy because it would be just as easy to automatically remove some of the fees after the 2 year term is over. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:15 AM, Tsuki said:

right?  in my area, home depot is entirely self check out, walmart is almost there, and a few other places.

I can rant all day about self checkout in stores: 

- It unloads a big chunk of the stores’ workload to the consumer. I can’t help to wonder if I should be payed to use the self-checkout. It is literally a job to scan items and bag them. Further, these self-checkouts are finicky. Why should the consumer have to troubleshoot issues or call and wait for support to spend money? It just utterly ruins the shopping experience in the name of increased savings for the store.

- It removes a social interraction between cashiers and the consumer. Any amount of small talk is invaluable for maintaining social health. Lonely people are at risk of being even more depressed and feeling isolated. 

- The quality of the service provided from a machine is far lower than a cashier, yet you pay the same price.  

6 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

No offense but time to adapt.

Always a line at the bank because of idiots who can't deposit or withdraw through the machine. They're not stupid, they just don't want to learn. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

7 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

No offense but time to adapt.

Always a line at the bank because of idiots who can't deposit or withdraw through the machine. They're not stupid, they just don't want to learn. 

How about company's offer automated systems that aren't utterly fucking worthless? Who wants to adapt to systems that barely work, are poorly designed, and never actually provide the solutions people need?

On 3/24/2019 at 5:09 PM, Raskolnikov said:

We do get - hopefully - shorter wait times.

You know what will happen? They'll cut the staff because there is not enough callers.

I am so glad that we don't have competition. Like the CRTC (government agency related to radio/television service and broadcasting) once said: It is bad for all Canadians to have a competitive field. I mean, it only leads to job losses and poor service... wait...

Is open access not a thing in the US and Canada? In Cape Town we have multiple open access networks. Normally 1 per sub area, sometimes more. Vumatel, Octotel, Openserve, Frogfoot, Lightspeed etc. All of which are open access. 30+ ISPs on some of them. Cell networks are a different story though. We have 4 major ones, and there's a data only one. Each of their mobile networks are also rolling out their own fibre networks. A lot of competition. The main problem in SA is the mobile data price. On Vodacom, 1gb prepaid is about $10 us and some change. We still have analogue tv available and that spectrum is needed for other things 

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You know what will happen? They'll cut the staff because there is not enough callers.

I am so glad that we don't have competition. Like the CRTC (government agency related to radio/television service and broadcasting) once said: It is bad for all Canadians to have a competitive field. I mean, it only leads to job losses and poor service... wait...

Tbh they improved a lot. Not a lot of offshoring anymore, you can actually understand the people over the line.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Koodo, another Candian telecom has been doing this for a couple years now. They are a direct competitor with Fido (pricing and target demographic)

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount