Intel's 28 Core 5Ghz CPU is misleading at best

RadiatingLight
6 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

'Nuff said.

Lol, '28 cores of bullshit' hahaha. I would say: 28 kilogram of bullshit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Also no AVX-512

Not an issue yet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Except that a Z series board isn't really that expensive especially with ram still being more expensive than a decent board, if you want an X470 board with the same features you're spending about the same, and overclocking Ryzen doesn't really matter when there isn't much room than what you already get out of the box.

Overclocking that 8700k seems a bit silly then. After all you are just chasing that extra 300mhz considering 4,7 ghz is boost and 5 ghz is max overclock. Why would anyone consider overclocking when you are so close to maximum clock anyways? Isnt it great to have the ability to overclock all chips on the second cheapest motherboards? Or are those extra 300mhz really nothing?

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Not an issue yet.

For those that can utilize it, it is. I can agree it isn't a huge issue for most currently.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not an issue yet.

Except in benchmarks and such. xD

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Of course AMD has higher margins, while they take some existing dies and glue interconnect it together on a huge server socket.

You don't get the server market though, if a company needs multiple chips on a board they're for sure not going to be overclocking and are buying OEM servers.

Also only seems to be fine for AMD to make money, same people that always said $900 cpu's and $400 motherboards were insane but now it's fine because AMD is doing it, and you're falling for the 7nm hype while Intel 14nm will still outperform it.

Plenty of other companies do the same at press events, Noctua with their prototype fans and AMD hyping up a 7nm GPU that you can't buy. But nope can't judge AMD of the same sh*t they do in addition to over hyping and skewing benchmarks, I must be a green/blue supporter for doing so.

i was responding to a post about a hedt board not exactly server. and btw amd's clocks are already not bad 

it doesn't matter if in terms of performance (clocks and efficiency) 14nm keeps up with 7nm (which it wont) as on 7nm amd is going to bring 64 core cpus or in the worst case 48 cores, which is well ahead of anything intel can do on 14nm simply because there is no more space, and those cpus will be much cheaper than the intel counter part as intel's cpu will be a 800+mm^2 cpu while amd will have multiple ish dies 200

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

For those that can utilize it, it is. I can agree it isn't a huge issue for most currently.

Not many can utilize it, and those that can, right now, it's for the boost in AVX, AVX2, and FMA3 performance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I just have to laugh at how everyone is misunderstanding what Intel actually did there.

Intel is trying to get into a market with aquarium water chillers which will be a replacement for their old stock coolers to compete with the AMD Wraith  cooler. They were clearly just showcasing how great their first chiller is and that it doesn't even break a sweat when trying to cool ~1.5kW monster and that you are also able to OC with it.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not many can utilize it, and those that can, right now, it's for the boost in AVX, AVX2, and FMA3 performance.

You are very correct, but as long as there is a market to use it and as long as the amount that use it continues to rise, they will continue to push for it.

8 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Except in benchmarks and such. xD

Definitely more than just benchmarks. It's used in scientific simulations, financial analytics, even compression and decompression amongst other use cases.

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Definitely more than just benchmarks. It's used in scientific simulations, financial analytics, even compression and decompression amongst other use cases.

I know that some workstation / servers use it. I was more of thinking for the usage of your average LTT / (put another tech forum name here) folk.

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I just have to laugh at how everyone is misunderstanding what Intel actually did there.

Intel is trying to get into a market with aquarium water chillers which will be a replacement for their old stock coolers to compete with the AMD Wraith  cooler. They were clearly just showcasing how great their first chiller is and that it doesn't even break a sweat when trying to cool ~1.5kW monster and that you are also able to OC with it.

Cooling for RAID hard drives required an extra physical key - only $99.

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i was responding to a post about a hedt board not exactly server. and btw amd's clocks are already not bad 

it doesn't matter if in terms of performance (clocks and efficiency) 14nm keeps up with 7nm (which it wont) as on 7nm amd is going to bring 64 core cpus or in the worst case 48 cores, which is well ahead of anything intel can do on 14nm simply because there is no more space, and those cpus will be much cheaper than the intel counter part as intel's cpu will be a 800+mm^2 cpu while amd will have multiple ish dies 200

The 700mm^2 die is very close to the 800mm^2 of the GV100 which was at the reticle size of the 12nm node so in short Intel cannot physically go much further. The yields on these chips must be awful, NVIDIA said they got approximately 1 full (or usable) die from each wafer:

Just now, Motifator said:

I know that some workstation / servers use it. I was more of thinking for the usage of your average LTT / (put another tech forum name here) folk.

I figured that,  but I just like to clarify it for those that may be reading through so they understand that it does actually have use cases that can be quite substantial.

I can say it does make specific benchmark numbers fantastic as well though lol

32 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

'Nuff said.

I feel like Intel's entire consumer product lineup is all old stuff made new Which kinda hints to how far ahead of AMD they are, every time AMD catches up, Intel just dribbles down some Xeon offerings into the consumer product lines.

It's been like that for ages, I noticed it back when Intel stopped supporting SMP in their consumer lines since I had to start looking at their Xeon offerings.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I feel like Intel's entire consumer product lineup is all old stuff made new Which kinda hints to how far ahead of AMD they are, every time AMD catches up, Intel just dribbles down some Xeon offerings into the consumer product lines.

It's been like that for ages, I noticed it back when Intel stopped supporting SMP in their consumer lines since I had to start looking at their Xeon offerings.

That's obviously because they're a larger company, they have mostly been superior to AMD. However, what you said isn't what exactly happens every time AMD catches up. Take Nehalem for example, it was a new architecture over Core 2 when it came out.

There was quite big of a difference between a first gen i7 and a Phenom in those days, but AMD caught up to the consumer market quickly this time around. It's the first time I bought an AMD CPU in ages, and that's what matters for most of us here. I hope AMD gets it right again next time around and slaps a CPU that's more up there with Intel's offerings in games and more cores with higher IPC, surely then I might put one in my main rig.

My god,  I hope none of you ever go to an international motor show.  You'd be sending all the car manufacturers angry letters demanding to know when all these prototypes, concepts and demonstrations were going to come on sale.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

My god,  I hope none of you ever go to an international motor show.  You'd be sending all the car manufacturers angry letters demanding to know when all these prototypes, concepts and demonstrations were going to come on sale.

I do, and it's a poor example. Seeing a concept car = / = seeing a high end car with mods and a nitro shot. The CPU in question is more like the latter because of that cooling.

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

That's obviously because they're a larger company, they have mostly been superior to AMD. However, what you said isn't what exactly happens every time AMD catches up. Take Nehalem for example, it was a new architecture over Core 2 when it came out.

There was quite big of a difference between a first gen i7 and a Phenom in those days, but AMD caught up to the consumer market quickly this time around. It's the first time I bought an AMD CPU in ages, and that's what matters for most of us here. I hope AMD gets it right again next time around and slaps a CPU that's more up there with Intel's offerings in games and more cores with higher IPC, surely then I might put one in my main rig.

Yeah I'm considering a switch to AMD after the B450 mobos are out a while.

To be honest I only notice things when I'm in the market, and I kinda disappeared between 2002 and 2008. I think that was the timeframe when AMD was kicking Intel's butt? I dunno for sure, I just remember that I went from a BP6 mobo, VP6 mobo, to Xeon platform for dual E5345 CPUs, and then... I didn't build a new system till the i7 4770 and was really disappointed 8 cores hadn't made it to mainstream consumer products at the time. I'm just really happy to see more cores trickling down into the consumer products, and I thank AMD for that.

But the main thing is that this is nothing new from Intel... kinda like a pun... since I mean both the cpu and the fact that they're just pushing a higher product into the consumer product line. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I do, and it's a poor example. Seeing a concept car = / = seeing a high end car with mods and a nitro shot. The CPU in question is more like the latter because of that cooling.

A company puts crap on display it never intends on selling.  It is done to showcase what they can achieve, nothing more nothing less.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I kinda disappeared between 2002 and 2008. I think that was the timeframe when AMD was kicking Intel's butt?

Yeah, the A64 architecture was superior to Nutburst. But that was a one time in a decade AMD became superior over Intel.

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

Yeah, the A64 architecture was superior to Nutburst. But that was a one time in a decade AMD became superior over Intel.

ya by then intel was bribing everyone and their dog as to not sell amd cpus so its not surprising they couldn't keep up and because they got away with it there is a good chance they will/are doing it again and we must keep our eyes open

22 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Hahaha, LOL :D

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

The 1950x had a 3.4 Base and a all core boost of 3.6 i think. (XFR only), and these TR 2000 are not retail parts so the clocks may change.

Sure, but I'm not talking about base clocks, nor boost clocks. I'm talking manual overclock with a decent air cooler or aio liquid cooling solution. From my memory and the few 1950x reviews I've relooked at, those went up to 4Ghz on all cores as well on normal high end cooling solution. Which makes it probable that TR2 would go to the max overclock of the voltage wall of lower core parts at 4.4GHz, at least for the 16 cores parts, and maybe even the 24 and 32 cores parts as well on liquid cooling.

My point was that they could achieve similar overclock as the lower core count CPUs with decent but not exotic cooling.

Even with that prospect of monster cpus, people talked about with amazement and not that much critical thinking about the 5GHz 28 cores CPU. Even their 6 cores parts don't necessarily do 5GHz ultra easily, so 28 cores with the same process and arch have no chance of doing it with normal cooling.

That clearly shows a bias in the tech community that was my main point.

Looks like Linus video missed the memo.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 hours ago, Motifator said:

Cinebench is not a problem, remember the AMD guy from Bulldozer days who used to talk about how super duper the CPU was going to be before it came out? He completely vanished after the CPU's release, because everybody then knew how shit it really was.

I don't want to ditch on AMD specifically, this act of Intel is absolutely low. But they too have had their shares as far as dishonesty goes. Especially with their slides. Look at this, they cherry-picked the games the RX 560 performs better, then talked about efficiency as if it's more efficient than a 1050...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_RX_560_vs_GTX_1050/

Literally everyone does this, you do it on your cv showing off what you're best at in order to get a job.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´