Intel's 28 Core 5Ghz CPU is misleading at best

RadiatingLight
3 hours ago, mr moose said:

And again, not saying what it is except they will ship a 28 core 5Ghz in Q4.  Is it Q4 yet?

Regardless of what the actual CPU is, the only thing they have promised is a 5Ghz 28 core CPU.  It can't actually be misleading if they deliver.

Seems you've been misled too

intel will NOT be shipping a 5Ghz 28-core CPU in Q4 -- that's the whole point of this thread.

The conference made it look like they would, but in reality they selectively omitted information to cover up the truth, which is that they will be releasing a 28-core chip in Q4, and have successfully overclocked said chip with a 32-phase motherboard and 1600W aquarium water chiller to 5Ghz.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

18 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

intel will NOT be shipping a 5Ghz 28-core CPU in Q4 -- that's the whole point of this thread.

The conference made it look like they would, but in reality they selectively omitted information to cover up the truth, which is that they will be releasing a 28-core chip in Q4, and have successfully overclocked said chip with a 32-phase motherboard and 1600W aquarium water chiller to 5Ghz.

Only thing Intel confirmed was 28 core

No other details were given base turbo temps etc

Was the reporters/journalist/etc staying the rest from a Watercooled overclocked demo

I wonder what the 32 Core threadripper would score in Cinbenench compared to that overclocked 28 core .

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

42 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Only thing Intel confirmed was 28 core

No other details were given base turbo temps etc

Was the reporters/journalist/etc staying the rest from a Watercooled overclocked demo

Correct.

the problem is that intel misled the reporters into reporting that they were going to release a 5Ghz CPU.

by showing a CPU running at 5Ghz, and saying that they were going to release that CPU to market Q4, Intel misled nearly every news outlet into reporting that the upcoming 28 core CPU was going to be 5Ghz stock (or at least boost)

in every other demo intel has ever run (AFAIK) with an overclocked processor, the overclock was disclosed. this is also more than just a normal overclock. with sub-ambient (and possibly subzero) cooling, intel should've definitely disclosed the OC.

it's like intel showing a CPU running at 7Ghz in a demo under LN2, but with the LN2 hidden and with no mention of the extreme overclocking, saying that they'll release the processor Q4.

technically they didn't lie, but only technically.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

12 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I for one would LOVE to see a dual socket, overclockable motherboard. That would be AWESOME. 

Think about it, Take two 28 core intel CPUs, slap them together and run them at a more reasonable 3.5GHz, and you would have much more multi-core performance than ths stupid demo intel made running at a lower power level.

They do, the ASUS WS 621E SAGE with two 8180M. However, it's getting past the locked multiplier that is an issue.

8 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

no, I mean unlock the multiplier. 

Make a dual CPU system easy to overclock. 

I doubt we will ever see that. 

If there is enough demand and enough interest, they will. Will it likely be a Xeon sku? Most likely not. However, if there had been enough interest in this, they would move it to the HEDT sku's. Who knows their intent might have been to see how it's received and possibly release a Skull Trail 2, they do after all still use the logo.

On another thought, maybe that's why they pulled them back so quickly. Maybe they have intentions to one-up amd after the 32 core announcement. Maybe they are thinking about going dual socket, then they can claim to have MOAR cores, jiggahurts, ram, PCIE, heat, power, space taken up, power phases, delta fan requirements... am I missing anything else??

28 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Correct.

the problem is that intel misled the reporters into reporting that they were going to release a 5Ghz CPU.

by showing a CPU running at 5Ghz, and saying that they were going to release that CPU to market Q4, Intel misled nearly every news outlet into reporting that the upcoming 28 core CPU was going to be 5Ghz stock (or at least boost)

Isn't that also to blame somewhat on the part of the reporters? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Isn't that also to blame somewhat on the part of the reporters? 

You as a reporter is given very little info

This is what info you have

1. Intel has been working on a 28 core cpu that can do 5ghz

2. This CPU is being released Q4

3. (Anything else we know about it?)

Based om this none of them actually reported something false that definitvly was false based on current info.

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You as a reporter is given very little info

This is what info you have

1. Intel has been working on a 28 core cpu that can do 5ghz

2. This CPU is being released Q4

3. (Anything else we know about it?)

Based om this none of them actually reported something false that definitvly was false based on current info.

So like the Lenovo Z5 then. 

They mentioned high screen:body ratio, 4TB of storage and 45 days of standby on a single charge. 

Little did we know that the last 2 were for a hard drive and a watch 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Intel losing their mojo by the looks of it haha :P

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

So like the Lenovo Z5 then. 

They mentioned high screen:body ratio, 4TB of storage and 45 days of standby on a single charge. 

Little did we know that the last 2 were for a hard drive and a watch 

Pretty much. Doesnt make it better when more people do it. Didnt the Z5 rumours being leaks in chinese? And not on top of a stage in front of everyone in english?

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Not mislead, the discussion has morphed to include what the journalist reported that Intel said, hence these comments:

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

If Intel don't make some sort of correction to the media response then I would say it is fair to assume they agree it will be 5Ghz.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Anandtech managed to meet someone apparently o_o

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12932/intel-confirms-some-details-about-28core-5-ghz-demonstration

confirms that 5GHz speed IS overclocked, and will be built on 14nm. aaaaaaaand taichis away the rest of the questions

The Intel representative did confirm the CPU was overclocked. We were told that on stage the presenter was actually meant to clarify that the system was overclocked

So even Intel agrees with everyone pointing out this should have been done.

The only item that Intel would confirm here is that the 28-core processor is built on one of its 14nm nodes.

So completely impossible for this product to release with 5Ghz all core turbo.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

So completely impossible for this product to release with 5Ghz all core turbo

Well. It probably could do 5GHZ. But probably only for 5 million clocks.

Would that make it 5ghz?

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well. It probably could do 5GHZ. But probably only for 5 million clocks.

Would that make it 5ghz?

Buildzoid's analysis of the Gigabyte motherboard is worth a watch, looks like it was designed for an LN2 run at some point :)

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Or phase change.

He actually covered that, no current phase change unit on the market could handle the heat output which is rather frightening thing to think about heh. I guess that is why they went with chilled water, that and it's quieter so more suitable for showing on stage next to mics etc. 

It's so insane you can only do chilled water, dry ice or LN2 for big over clocks. Insane in a good way.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, this thing requires more than an LD doing subzero?   WTF...

Just phase change cool your phase change cooler so you can OC the phase change cooler to cool the phase change cooled CPU.

8 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Correct.

in every other demo intel has ever run (AFAIK) with an overclocked processor, the overclock was disclosed. this is also more than just a normal overclock. with sub-ambient (and possibly subzero) cooling, intel should've definitely disclosed the OC.

it's like intel showing a CPU running at 7Ghz in a demo under LN2, but with the LN2 hidden and with no mention of the extreme overclocking, saying that they'll release the processor Q4.

technically they didn't lie, but only technically.

mislead when only confirmation was 28 core and rest wasnt even confirmed

overclocking all core should be indicator along with no turbo stats or base freq stats

also having liquid cooling should been another indicator by far

nothing else was given from intel just 28 core

I dont know how long you have been around but showcasing the product like this always have about showmanship and

all companies do this, not every single time but they all have done it multiple times

if these journalist/reporters/writers/etc want to briefly skim through shit and twist shit that isnt anyone's fault but their own

and funny thing is I have seen multiple articles pretty much identical from each other like it was a copy and paste then reword lol

just like many people say that this was rushed to kill amds thunder

so rushed they designed and made a mobo and had it present at the showcase

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

To me, this is just coming off as another 9590, performance lies and requires extreme cooling.  They deserve the hate as much as AMD did.

Not really any lies or misleading,that was the fault of the media outlets spreading their own context as if it were official news. And it wouldn't be misleading unless Intel were to actually release it as a final product, even if the presentation were more clear everyone would have found a problem with it anyway.

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's still misleading when you OC in one of the most extreme ways to OC.  This isn't designed for the OCing market, this isn't designed for gamers who OC, but it is designed for professionals.  So yea, it is misleading regardless of them not "confirming" it.

mislead?

they showed an unannounced product with 28cores and wouldnt talk anything about it besides 28cores

no base no turbo no power shit no temps, nothing in fact they quickly moved on

the media took that and ran

32 minutes ago, pas008 said:

mislead when only confirmation was 28 core and rest wasnt even confirmed

overclocking all core should be indicator along with no turbo stats or base freq stats

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And it wouldn't be misleading unless Intel were to actually release it as a final product, even if the presentation were more clear everyone would have found a problem with it anyway.

You should both go read Intel's official response to this and their admission to not disclosing of information they should have that we, and Intel, said they should have and that they had intended on doing.

If they had just said it was an OC result everyone would just be ogling the CB score and how amazingly high it is for a single socket then hoping for an LN2 run. It's not the first time Intel has done a sponsored OC at a trade show, it's the first time I've seen such an exotic cooling solution used on a main press conference though. Yes people would then also bring up TR2 and wonder what it would get in CB but no one would be talking about Intel misleading anyone.