corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

We can manage to engineer AI to abate the Coronavirus, the way we have done to the world of Antibiotics, and medicine. Overall, the cases seem to be on a decline, but a future threat still looms over our heads. 
~Engineer.AI

Edited by LogicalDrm

Engineer.AI

Where's @Canoe ?   It has been quite a few pages since his last post.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Where's @Canoe ?   It has been quite a few pages since his last post.  

They are on hiatus.

Edited by FakeCIA
Hiatus from the Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

On 3/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, Cora_Lie said:

The craziness as reached my country...

Even crazier here in Germany

My state Government has forbidden all events with more than 1000 people until mid April. Also all universities are closed until further notice (semester breaks now but some like me have still exams and courses)

53 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

My state Government has forbidden all events with more than 1000 people until mid April. Also all universities are closed until further notice (semester breaks now but some like me have still exams and courses)

Germany, France and Spain are 10 days behind Italy. So in two weeks time, it's likely there'll be partial/full lockdown as well.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Germany, France and Spain are 10 days behind Italy. So in two weeks time, it's likely there'll be partial/full lockdown as well.

The UK is 12 days behind italy, there in talks of a full lockdown atm i think this week is he most important week for us as weave changed from contain to delay, symptoms take 5 days to show so most than likely infection rates should surge by end of week.

EDIT: The minister of public health has contracted corona virus.

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

Finally happen. 2 cases confirmed in Michigan. I’m preparing for the worst Saturday when I do grocery shopping. Zero shit on the shelf’s at Walmart. Might need to think about investing in a bidet, in case if the dreaded toilet paper shortage. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 in missouri confirmed of course due to the stupidity of our system that doesn't mean much.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Might need to think about investing in a bidet, in case if the dreaded toilet paper shortage. 

Just use your hand.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

5 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Just use your hand.

A sock would be more viable, least you can wash your socks n not smell like shit LMAO

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

41 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

A sock would be more viable, least you can wash your socks n not smell like shit LMAO

I shouldn't have to write this but you should wash your hand after using the bathroom.

If it smells like shit, it's not clean...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

Just use your hand.

Ummm........ I guess I’ll just take a shower after taking a shit. 

I love this thread. It always gives me a good chuckle. It's a giant circle jerk of the most paranoid.

You'd be better off reading something that's not fear mongering like most of the US media is:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-strictly-by-the-numbers-the-coronavirus-does-not-register-as-a-dire/

A piece from it, since I doubt most will read it:

In the three months or so since it started, the new coronavirus and its related COVID-19 disease – which emerged in the Chinese province of Hubei late in 2019 and now numbers more than 110,000 cases around the world – have caused more than 4,000 deaths, mostly in China. But in the same three months, -snip- there have been almost 10,000 deaths in Canada from tobacco addiction, for instance – and just one from COVID-19.

Is COVID-19 a global crisis? Certainly for people who can’t add.

I learned some powerful lessons from SARS in 2003. Maybe the most important one was how important it was to focus on what has happened rather than on what might happen. In other words: “Just the facts, ma’am."

I pay close attention to the daily situation reports issued by the World Health Organization, particularly the new cases and the new deaths. I pay no attention to the various pundits and talking heads, because they are always wrong.

The WHO started issuing daily situation reports on Jan. 21, six weeks ago. Initially, the numbers matched the perceptions: The new cases and new deaths, almost all from Hubei province, increased rapidly. Then, in the first week in February, the rate of new cases peaked at 4,083. Deaths peaked on Feb. 13, at 254. Then the number of daily cases dropped down quickly toward the end of February. That’s because the Hubei outbreak peaked in late January. Indeed, it’s almost over.

Around the beginning of March, the number of new cases rose again because of outbreaks in South Korea, Italy and Iran. These outbreaks are smaller than the one that happened in Hubei. For the past week, the daily statistics have averaged fewer than 3,000 new cases and about 100 deaths worldwide.

Coming from someone who's had decades of experience in the medical field, as well as with similar outbreaks of a more dangerous virus.

I absolutely love this coach's reaction as well:

He couldn't be more right. The US media does a horrible job when it comes to properly giving facts. Very rarely does it have qualified people speaking on the topic.

And these days, with online blogs and news reporting, many of these reporters simply take numbers, conjure up some crazy headlines to get that clickbait click. Media and journalism really isn't what it used to be, and it's decay is quite sad.

Yes, there are likely a few of you on the forum that should be worried. The odd person here that's over the age of 60, the people that have compromised immune systems. The rest of you? Stop spreading fear. Even if you do contract this, the chances of you dying from it are minuscule. As more tests are done, the number of infected will skyrocket. So too will the number of those recovered.

While yes, there will be many, many more infections, and those with compromised immune systems or the elderly will certainly die, this isn't Ebola. It's not MERS. It's a slightly more dangerous flu.

So please, take a moment, and actually look at things before you start to panic. For instance, this could be rather alarming:

coronavirus map

Until you realize that 22ish of those deaths are in a single care home for elderly people who can't care for themselves.

I read something interesting the other day and it's something to think about; the hysteria and panic are likely to be far more damaging than the virus.

On 3/9/2020 at 7:51 PM, CalintzJerevinan said:

I bought some Palmolive Anti-Bacterial Dish Washing Soap that leaves dishes bacterial free up to 24 hours after washing. 

If it's already in your house, you're probably going to get it.

If you're relatively healthy, you have nothing to worry about.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:01 PM, vetali said:

I just wear nitrile gloves out in public anymore. I get weird looks, mostly by people that are coughing... but it keeps me sane. Plus they aren't sold out everywhere and it makes me use sanitizer less.

That won't really help you if you still bring your hands to your face. You don't get it by touching it, it's through the nose, mouth and perhaps eyes.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:49 AM, NumLock21 said:

I doubt those who buy toilet paper by the pallet is planning to sell it on eBay. Some people have large families and they're preparing for the worse, and buying plenty of bottle water don't make them a-holes or a doofus. If the place they are in does go into total locked down, that means no one is out there to deliver toilet paper to stores and no one will be at water treatment plants to monitor our drinking water.

Bottled water is kind of stupid. Water isn't going to stop flowing. This isn't a hurricane. Most water treatment plants are hands off anyway, and since you're not working with the public, you can simply have someone operate it. Lockdown doesn't stop everything; there will still be first responders, and critical infrastructure will still function. Toilet paper is a fair point, but that's out of idiots hoarding it. Sure, by all means buy 2 packs. Maybe 3. Personally I love having a well stocked TP closet. A pallet? You're not going into lockdown for a year.

15 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

USA over 1000 now. Will be 100k by the end of the month, if not more.

I highly doubt that. China, a significantly more densely populated area with a worse medical system didn't even have that kind of spread.

14 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Back to corona 19 virus spreads to Illinois 11 people the spreading has begun. No one knows nothing, no idea where it's coming or going..... Containment? I saw the kid in the Deli coughing into his arm over meat. Yea.... I kept on walking.

Should we get scared now at 11 infected confirmed or wait till thousands? 

(my family is very near where these people are located) Specifically NW community hospital. 

At what point to worry? Well now man now. Not later. Now.

Quarantine entire countries right now. Yep, it's here. It's spreading. I might get it. My friends and family might get it.

My age in the 40s, .4-1% chance of death. 

OK I won't die...... but am I going to feel like I wanna die?? I've been there before. contamination of raw and cooked meats. Oh I could have died. 12 hours both ends..... 3 iv bags later and some hours in the hospital with doubled up shots of nausea meds..... 1850's I'd been dead already.

I actually don't feel like I should worry that much. Is that wrong of me?

You shouldn't get scared at all. Do you get scared of the flu every year? It kills far more people than COVID does.

How about second hand smoke? Do you give much thought to that? It kills 40k people a year in the US.

You should worry if:

• You have a compromised immune system
  • You're elderly
  • You're around people coughing for a prolonged period of time (really why would you? that's not normal even at the best of times)
  • You don't practice proper hygeine

You've had a cold before, right? Well most people's symptoms for COVID are exactly that. You're not going to bleed from the eyes, or break out into boils.

Yes, something's wrong with you, but it's not your fault. You're simply buying into America's panic.

8 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

That's not too crazy. Makes sense since you're so close to Italy.

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Finally happen. 2 cases confirmed in Michigan. I’m preparing for the worst Saturday when I do grocery shopping. Zero shit on the shelf’s at Walmart. Might need to think about investing in a bidet, in case if the dreaded toilet paper shortage. 

Haha, I don't think it'll be that bad. Though the toilet paper situation is real. People are fucking idiots. It's not even an imported product, it'll be readily available.

2 hours ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Uhhh...that makes absolutely no sense. A hand is infinitely easier to clean than a sock. Do you not know what soap is? Do you not clean yourself fully in the shower?

28 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ummm........ I guess I’ll just take a shower after taking a shit. 

I do that anyway ? I mean, really, how often are you shitting ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well, you don't have to take my word for it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/anthony-fauci-undercuts-trump-on-the-flu-and-other-coronavirus-assertions/ar-BB113lLV

"Fauci returned to the comparison at another point, noting that even when mortality rates are factored in, the problem with the novel coronavirus is in the number of people who could be afflicted. He again noted that the novel coronavirus “is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

When just 15 cases had been recorded in the United States, Trump said the number could soon fall to zero and perhaps the virus wouldn’t spread. Fauci said, “If we are complacent and don’t do really aggressive containment and mitigation, the number could go way up and be involved in many, many millions.”

You are correct that I am no expert. But Fauci might be.

Since the USA seems to be pretty complacent, maybe 100,000 at the end of the month isn't crazy.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

My school district was closed today and yesterday due to 2 confirmed cases of the corona virus. Theres a chance I have it, but idk yet for sure

i like trains 🙂

55 minutes ago, dizmo said:

snip

You can't rely on just one source, for every expert who says there is nothing to worry about there is another one recommending mass panic.  I'll just keep listening to the general conclusions drawn by panels of experts who's jobs are to manage disease outbreaks rather than those who don't gain or lose anything if they are wrong.

It was put quite plainly a little while ago by news article (of all sources), that in situations like this you'll always find a handful of doctors and so called "experts" who just want 15 minutes of fame.  They haven't spent any meaningful time working in depth on the problem.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Clients now calling me to ask if it’ll be busy at our building during appointments because some are immunocompromised and worried about the virus. First call like that was unexpected. Not gonna lie I almost teared up there. Seriously this whole damn situation is fked up. Taking normal life for granted before all shit started..

Plus Harvard and their short 5 day notice for students to move out of their dorms. Wtf?  What about those who are international students or have no where to go.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/harvard-gives-students-5-days-to-evacuate-dorms-over-coronavirus-fears.html

Edited by PhantomJaguar77

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

image.png.a88cc67867cba3bfb8092f0bb3ec2342.png

only in canada.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

image.png.a88cc67867cba3bfb8092f0bb3ec2342.png

only in canada.

only $3999 for a one Carat diamond?? Holy hell that's a steal as long as it's decent quality. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I do that anyway ? I mean, really, how often are you shitting ?

Every day between the hours of 1 pm and 1:30 pm. Always on my employers time. I like being paid to take a nice shit. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Every day between the hours of 1 pm and 1:30 pm. Always on my employers time. I like being paid to take a nice shit. 

Shitting is an art carefully defined by one taking a shit. Also, there are 5 confirmed cases in Arizona.