corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

To those who live in Ontario and have school age children (or you're a school-aged child):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-government-closing-schools-1.5495736

The Provincial Government is shutting down all publicly funded schools for 2 weeks following March Break. Schools will now be closed from March 14th to April 5th. This includes the Catholic School Board in addition to the regular public schools.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Not so much in that sense. The medical affects are being blown way out of proportion.

Triage of the few people in a serious enough condition to die is minimal, its not like a battlefield situation where ur triaging countless numbers of which many people die.

66 deaths over the course of the pandemic so far in the entirety of S Korea is hardly a number high enough to cause physiological harm anymore than that of a normal Hospital day where people die from other causes.

The biggest effects will likely be on Economies where share prices,  currency worth ,and the like drop from unwarranted panic. And the resulting fallout from that economic damage, and damage to society from governments overzealous actions is likely to linger.

Curfews and country/state/city wide containment and lockdown is being experienced for the 1st time by the younger generations in some countries, and they are not likely to be taking the loss of their freedom very well, politically that is likely to affect future elections.

The only 'wake up' call will hopefully only be on how modern society is so ..'snowflake' ..in response to the situation and how 'News outlets' are so willing to sensationalize things causing panic just to make money. The actions of the traditional media so far has been appalling.

I was referring to Italy, and likely USA if they can't control this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607807/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797%3famp=1

https://www.ilmessaggero.it/politica/coronavirus_gori_morti_bergamo_ospedali-5104832.html

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Occam's Razor.

Humanity sees viruses all the time, and zoonotic viruses are common as we interact with the environment.

We haven't faced a more serious natural colon cleanse in a while.

I don't believe any of these conspiracy theories tbh, and I'm usually a suspicious fellow.

It doesn't really matter where it came from, though. It's here and we all have to handle it.

This, it's O.K to be skeptical of governments etc, but this is nothing more than another zoonotic virus like mers and sars and malaria, ross river, zika, HIV,  etc, etc.  not only is it not uncommon but it's so common it's easily predicted and law of averages says we have to have a bad one every now and then.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This, it's O.K to be skeptical of governments etc, but this is nothing more than another zoonotic virus like mers and sars and malaria, ross river, zika, HIV,  etc, etc.  not only is it not uncommon but it's so common it's easily predicted and law of averages says we have to have a bad one every now and then.

It's too bad governments don't listen to the experts who have been warning of these every year.

We'd have a SARS vaccine by now that may even have been effective

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To those who live in Ontario and have school age children (or you're a school-aged child):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-government-closing-schools-1.5495736

The Provincial Government is shutting down all publicly funded schools for 2 weeks following March Break. Schools will now be closed from March 14th to April 5th. This includes the Catholic School Board in addition to the regular public schools.

Talk of closing the college I work at too. (QC) 

I'll still have to work tho. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Well whilst the rest of the world are taking the measures like Italy going in lock down, Denmark going into lock down dispite having no confirmed cases, an America suspending the NBA season us in the UK are causally doin shit like this, even Scotland have banned social gatherings and Ireland have gone into lock down.. I'll never understand my government. 

FB_IMG_1584045991701.jpg

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

37 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I would really hope it doesn't get to that point in the US, in Italy there is a higher percentage of older people,and their healthcare system is apparently under funded, pollution may also be a factor.

https://time.com/5799586/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Wouldn’t put it past our government, sadly. 

I really wouldn't put it past the Chinese govt did it to destabilize the US, since the market fell pretty hard and i've been seeing experts say it won't get any better if there isn't a decrease in the rate of infection over the summer like what happens with cases of influenza.

I posted this on my profile, but I'll post it here too:

Can I just say, I feel horrible for retail workers right now. My dad and I went to Walmart tonight to do our normal shopping. What a damn mess that place was! There were people there from multiple towns away. So many people, that they ran out of shopping carts! It was as cramped as the streets of New York City - that's not an exaggeration either. The isles for toilet paper and paper towels were 100% empty (this is bad for someone with issues down there). When they brought out a fresh pallet of the stuff, it was cleaned off in a matter of about 5-10 mins. Other "easy to cook" food items and canned foods were completely gone as well. I over heard some people talking in line behind me, one guy said this was his 5th store today for just toilet paper. All the while, workers were trying to keep some kind of stock on the shelves but couldn't seem to keep up with the demand. Baby products including diapers and wipes were also cleaned out. 

This whole COVID-19 thing is a mess. I don't care what you think about it, or the media, or the hype. There is a very clear over reaction happening from the public, with no help from the media over hyping everything. Most schools are closed, most public events are canceled, most travel is restricted (leaving a lot of people stranded), and most industries are badly affected as well. Public transport is now so under-utilized that some smaller companies are folding and bigger ones are asking for some employees to take leave voluntarily.

We will look back in the next couple of years and scoff at ourselves for acting this way. But then a couple years after that, we'll do it all over again. Why? Because we eat what we're fed [by the media] and are creatures of habit.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Stores should be forced to ration per customer. 

39 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Well whilst the rest of the world are taking the measures like Italy going in lock down, Denmark going into lock down dispite having no confirmed cases, an America suspending the NBA season us in the UK are causally doin shit like this, even Scotland have banned social gatherings and Ireland have gone into lock down.. I'll never understand my government. 

FB_IMG_1584045991701.jpg

Keep calm and carry on old chap.

From tomorrow till sunday,  buses and cars (except for emergency vehicles and specific cases) wont be allowed to drive at all here.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Keep calm and carry on old chap.

Indeed, and thats how it should be. :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

I posted this on my profile, but I'll post it here too:

Can I just say, I feel horrible for retail workers right now. My dad and I went to Walmart tonight to do our normal shopping. What a damn mess that place was! There were people there from multiple towns away. So many people, that they ran out of shopping carts! It was as cramped as the streets of New York City - that's not an exaggeration either. The isles for toilet paper and paper towels were 100% empty (this is bad for someone with issues down there). When they brought out a fresh pallet of the stuff, it was cleaned off in a matter of about 5-10 mins. Other "easy to cook" food items and canned foods were completely gone as well. I over heard some people talking in line behind me, one guy said this was his 5th store today for just toilet paper. All the while, workers were trying to keep some kind of stock on the shelves but couldn't seem to keep up with the demand. Baby products including diapers and wipes were also cleaned out. 

This whole COVID-19 thing is a mess. I don't care what you think about it, or the media, or the hype. There is a very clear over reaction happening from the public, with no help from the media over hyping everything. Most schools are closed, most public events are canceled, most travel is restricted (leaving a lot of people stranded), and most industries are badly affected as well. Public transport is now so under-utilized that some smaller companies are folding and bigger ones are asking for some employees to take leave voluntarily.

We will look back in the next couple of years and scoff at ourselves for acting this way. But then a couple years after that, we'll do it all over again. Why? Because we eat what we're fed [by the media] and are creatures of habit.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

I agree. I also dont understand the concept of hoarding toilet paper and mass buying toilet paper. This is a respiratory virus, toilet paper is not going to help you. Im almost out of toilet paper and today i had to go to 6 different stores to find some, i eventually bought some but i think i spent more in gas than the price of toilet paper. 

In my opinion if you really want to prepare for something like this soups and non parishable canned foods are something to consider. 

It is nice to see that society is all of a sudden health and hygiene conscious. Hand sanitiser is hard to find. Today i bought the last bottle of hand soap at my local store. Great see this. 

It looks like we could be heading towards another recession as the market keeps losing points but this is a few months off at least. My plan is to buy a ton of copenhagen logs of chew tobacco and plenty of cartons of cigarretes. If the U.S isnt gonna be worth much I can barter and trade with tobacco. If theres no recession then i have christmas gifts for friends and family that smoke and chew. 

11 hours ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:
Spoiler

The FUCK they're not! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charmin-Essentials-Toilet-Paper-Ultra-Strong-Soft-Toilet-Paper-16-120/264663277443?hash=item3d9f291f83:m:mTGdSMLhltoLDE8yLkS1fjA

Just go to ebay and type toilet paper. $10 a roll? Are you kidding me? TOTAL a-hole! If you are rushing out and scrounging up everything you can get your hands on, you are either so incredibly unprepared for even tomorrow's bowel movement OR you are profiteering. And in that vein, you have zero shits to give about others that might be in a need situation because you are forcing scarcity with your actions, preventing others from having even the slightest of chances to get some for themselves. I honestly hope these ass-hats are stuck with garages full of toilet paper that they can't sell even at a discount. I don't care how bad it might get but I seriously doubt it will get worse than in China and even they are not destitute! They still have water treatment plants functioning and toilet paper is still being manufactured. Food is still available for the most part (even though they have freaked out and caused scarcity as well) and people are not dying and being carted off like in Monty Python movies. I am not saying buying for an extended period is wrong. I am saying causing scarcity for profit is. And you can't tell me that anyone of these fuckers on ebay has been selling TP there prior to this situation. Not one of them. And a few thousand cases is not going to bloom overnight to hundreds of thousands of cases with tens of thousands of deaths in the same period. Just because one person 10 miles from you gets sick doesn't mean the grim reaper is driving his mercedes down your road looking to bone you in the jiggly bits. Paranoia and fear is the absolute worst thing that you can work towards in this. Calm the hell down and get a grip. Wash your hands. Stop going out in public just to go. If you don't HAVE to go out, stay the hell home and stop intaking more fear from the internet.

Stores that ran out of toilet paper and other essential items, did get them back in stock and have been limiting the number, each customer can buy. Those who are trying to make a profit off eBay, probably isn't going to get any sales from it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

They actually cancled all together

It's on hold.

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Stores that ran out of toilet paper and other essential items, did get them back in stock and have been limiting the number, each customer can buy. Those who are trying to make a profit off eBay, probably isn't going to get any sales from it.

Not the ones here in my state. All the shelves completely empty.

Just unconsciously wetted my finger to unstick a page. RIP guys love y'all. 

Disneyland, California Adventure to temporarily close due to coronavirus threat

https://abc7.com/health/disneyland-resort-to-temporarily-close-in-response-to-coronavirus-threat/6007328/

coronavirus cancellations in Southern California and beyond - NBA, theme parks, concerts <-- The list goes on

https://abc7.com/health/coronavirus-cancellations-in-socal---nba-concerts-and-events/6004785/

Edited by AlexOak
meh

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Can I just say, I feel horrible for retail workers right now.

One of my jobs is in retail. And holy shit there’s not one piece of toilet paper anywhere. Even though there’s a downpour in San Diego County the stores are packed as all hell. Everyone I’ve talked too so far looks to have a high morale though. When I hear a customer cough I hold my breath without thinking and try to distance myself from the elderly, which there are a lot of here.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

wouldn't put it past the Chinese govt did it to destabilize the US,

China isnt stupid enough to do that though. I can see them doing it to their own people because they have a large number of older people in their population and thats a burden on there country. But China is not going to bring down the US economy. THEY NEED US. The US is the largest market in the world, we buy the most shit. Seeing how most of the shit sold is made in China, China would just be shooting themselves. The fact is after this is all said and done, China has pretty much lost their title as the number one manufacure. The fact is companies are now looking at the sistuiation and seeing that they cant rely on China for everything. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, PurplDrank said:

I also dont understand the concept of hoarding toilet paper and mass buying toilet paper.

Because these same are the ones selling each roll on Amazon for $100. Because thats how Murica rolls. Make a proffit by over your fellow citizens. 

Edited by LogicalDrm
Censorship, so sue me

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

Not the ones here in my state. All the shelves completely empty.

That's bad, hopefully it gets restocked soon, and you bought a bit more than before.

5 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

One of my jobs is in retail. And holy shit there’s not one piece of toilet paper anywhere. Even though there’s a downpour in San Diego County the stores are packed as all hell. Everyone I’ve talked too so far looks to have a high morale though. When I hear a customer cough I hold my breath without thinking and try to distance myself from the elderly, which there are a lot of here.

Since you work in retail, wear a surgical mask, because you may never know customers are infected or not, as some can be asymptomatic.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 3/13/2020 at 12:52 AM, Donut417 said:

That wont matter though as the U.S. dollar might not be worth as much if the market keeps going the way it is which is a possible recession or even worse a depression. Those two things are way off though. 

If the U.S dollar isnt gonna be worth anything then im gonna buy a ton of cartons of cigarettes and a few logs of copenhagen chew tobacco. I can barter and trade with those. If the economy doesnt collapse...then i have some christmas gifts for friends and family who love tobacco.

Edited by LogicalDrm