Good Guy Amazon??

Amazon warehouses will start donating things you don't buy

Source: Henry St Ledger - https://www.techradar.com/au/news/amazon-warehouses-will-start-donating-things-you-dont-buy

Amazon has now announced a new community initiative program, which will kick off in the US and UK, donating hundreds of thousands of unwanted products from third-party sellers which otherwise would go to waste. Marketplace vendors will be able to donate to the likes of "NewlifeSalvation Army, and Barnardo’s" in the UK, or Good360 in the US.

Great news for these Charities. Amazon doesn't dispose of any small amount either - 

The Fulfilled by Amazon initiative (or 'FBA' for short) will start on September 1, with the likelihood being that it will roll out beyond the US and UK sometime after that point. Given the amount of waste Amazon has been guilty of – throwing away three million televisions in 2018 alone – it can't come soon enough.

Especially due to climate change, this is a very welcome move, and a win for everyone. Companies can get rid of unused stock and much better on landfills. 

Products have tended to be thrown away when they're simply stocked in excess – or suffer from too many returns – and the original manufacturer has nowhere for them to go.

It's still startlingly cheap to ask Amazon to dispose of a product – only $0.15 (around £0.12 / AU$0.22) – but Amazon has made it far easier for those items to find people who can make use of them.

Its quite interesting that these companies have that much refuse stock, hopefully this puts a lot less pressure to get rid of them, and families in poverty get a nice little present from the sallies. Great stuff. 

Nice.

Amazon can get rid of unwanted stock and fill warehouses with other stuff.

People can get faster delivery, due to wanted items now fitting into warehouses more often.

Poor families can some freebies that make their life a little better.

Everyone wins.

Hope other big companies follow this idea.

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Amazon just wants to safe disposal costs.

This. Unless they give food and desirable/needed items, they will just "dump" rubbish on someone's doorstep.

Why would you give items like excessively returned goods (which implies they are most likely defective or so badly designed they are not meant to be used by anyone) to people in need? That's like giving rotten apples and tomatoes to hungry people and then bang yourself on the chest how good guy you are.

Will the charities be allowed to turn around and re-sell the items to generate cash? I could see this being a HUGE boon to somewhere like Goodwill or other charity resale shops BUT there's a reason Amazon doesn't want to sell these items...right?

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

In other words. They have found a way of getting rid of "trash" while looking like a good guy.

Its great as long as that project doesnt turn charity into a landfill

Charities are pretty selective in my experiences. So it won't come to that.

I wanted them to have my book collection, as I switched everything to ebooks anyway, and they were very good condition.....and got turned away by 3 or 4 charities at least, in the end I donated them to a bookshop, that then gave the proceeds to a charity they were in connection with (and yes I know the owner, it DID happen). I give to charity when I can, and if they want my unwanted stuff all the better, if they don't then I recycle it usually (depending on what it is of course). I have recently started giving to a rescue center, they are amazing and do so much good for our community and further afield, they bring in loads of dogs from abroad too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

- Thread Cleaned -
Please stay on topic and keep discussion appropriate.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Charities seem to be overwhelmed these days. Also, in the UK there are laws regarding sale and responsibility for electrical items, so there are things that the charities won't touch.

It sounds to me like the Amazon warehouses are facing a crisis. Previously they auctioned off pallets and it looks like the YouTubers have got fed up of making videos about them. I wonder how many aren't being bought any more? There are also lost property auctions for the police, airport lost property, storage auctions where people aren't paying their bills... it wouldn't surprise me if we're facing a minor national emergency after all the room we don't have in this country!

I did note that it was for third party sellers, however... not Amazon's own stock. Grab the popcorn because there seem to be more to this that meets the eye.

Part of the problem/reason maybe the cost for amazon sellers is the horrendous warehouse prices they have to pay after a few months.

I don't know if it's the case in the UK or in the US, but we had in France a series of articles and tv documentaries after some amazon employees have been filmes throwing away in the trash some perfectly good products which in fact weren't amazon products but sellers products.

And that's when the public discovered that the price of warehousing products for seller was growing proportionnally to the time spent in warehousing. And so some costs which started as 26€/m3 could grow up to 500€ after 6 month and even 1,000€ after a year.

So the sellers didn't want to get the products back (and so pay for  shipment)and that is how you get some big deals after some time and then all the rest of the products were simply thrown in the trash...

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/gaspillage-comment-amazon-detruit-et-jette-des-millions-d-objets-neufs-chaque-annee-803700.html

https://www.rtbf.be/lapremiere/article/detail_comment-amazon-jette-des-millions-d-objets-invendus?id=10117848

Sorry... Articles are in french, but google translate is available.

There's been some big public outcry about these fact and so... well... I wouldn't be surprised this is some sort of response from Amazon?

Interestingly, that's not an entirely accurate story. Their overstock and returns are often liquidated, where people buy entire pallets and then pick through them to see what's valuable and resellable. Same thing with their overstock. Seems odd to be giving people likely defective or poorly made products. Not to mention how do you find the people that need them without others taking advantage? Logistically this seems like a really odd move.

7 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Amazon just wants to safe disposal costs.

They already have ways do dispose of items which results in profit. I see this as something else, but I'm not entirely sure what.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Why would you give items like excessively returned goods (which implies they are most likely defective or so badly designed they are not meant to be used by anyone) to people in need? That's like giving rotten apples and tomatoes to hungry people and then bang yourself on the chest how good guy you are.

Exactly what I thought! I mean, I'm pretty sure legally they can't give away products that are known as defective, but still...

I see a lot of lesser-off people getting slippers with odd stuffed animal heads on them, and plastic cutting boards that aren't BPA free.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

We can all talk about how stupid virtue signaling this seems, but lets be honest. 

Every time that fruit rots in a field, because they lack the employed people to pick it and can't let random people who want or need it do it themselves for liability reasons, is a failure of society.

Is dying from cancer 40 years later due to BPA poisoning worse than dying of malnutrition next week?

Again, charities tend to be very selective about this sort of stuff, and places like free-geek would still find massive uses for bulk defective electronics for salvage and repair of select units.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Amazon started doing what every other business tries to do? My goodness. Such innovation.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I don't know what charities are like in the US, but in Australia they have moved with the general wealth of the nation, they do not accept or sell anything that is broken, sometimes they do not even accept electronics goods that are in good condition if they are old or even slightly outdated.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't know what charities are like in the US, but in Australia they have moved with the general wealth of the nation, they do not accept or sell anything that is broken, sometimes they do not even accept electronics goods that are in good condition if they are old or even slightly outdated.  

I usually just donate old clothes and toys so I'm not sure on the regulations, but the hospice always accepts them. Sometimes they aren't too grateful these days, which I do feel is a bit concerning, because I'm giving them some decent stuff for free to sell etc. I do suppose it does make more work for them, but you know they don't volunteer or get paid to sit around, everyone has a job. 

8 minutes ago, floofer said:

I usually just donate old clothes and toys so I'm not sure on the regulations, but the hospice always accepts them. Sometimes they aren't too grateful these days, which I do feel is a bit concerning, because I'm giving them some decent stuff for free to sell etc. I do suppose it does make more work for them, but you know they don't volunteer or get paid to sit around, everyone has a job. 

Being quite a big consumer I have donated whole house lots to charity,  They have become very ungrateful in some cases (yet in some cases rightly so).  What they can't sell they have to dispose of  and what they can't sell is becoming a much bigger list.

The reality is the society that buys a new TV because it is cheaper than trying to repair it is the same society that won't buy a busted TV form a charity shop.  Even the poorest can afford new jeans from kmart/walmart so why would they pay more than 50c for something with a hole in them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

sometimes they do not even accept electronics goods that are in good condition if they are old or even slightly outdated

When e-waste started getting charged for or at a higher price than regular waste people started treating charity stores as a e-waste disposal which ended up costing those places a lot of money to then get rid of those items that nobody buys.

Waste disposal costs a lot more than it ever has so it's a necessity to be careful what you do and do not accept or you'll be operating at a loss.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

When e-waste started getting charged for or at a higher price than regular waste people started treating charity stores as a e-waste disposal which ended up costing those places a lot of money to then get rid of those items that nobody buys.

Waste disposal costs a lot more than it ever has so it's a necessity to be careful what you do and do not accept or you'll be operating at a loss.

I've seen the stuff the universities throw away. Otago was doing a bit a while back. Could just ship it straight to a museum. I wouldn't mind some of it. 

Where I live E-waste is free. in fact everything recyclable (except tires, refrigerants and mattresses) is free (even paint and engine oil is free),  However I like to offer the stuff to charity before just dumping it.